Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 07:25 AM

New Britain
Today at 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Favourite Character in Islamic Scriptures

(Read 13658 times)
  • Previous page 1 2« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Re: Favourite Character in Islamic Scriptures
     Reply #30 - April 16, 2009, 06:16 PM

Rashna, well I am developing a new philosophy, and you want to be a prophetess maybe we can make some deal as I would have to initiate you, also my teachings will be esoteric in the sense only a select few initiates will be accepted. You could be the first poetess or a higher priestess.
     Reply #31 - April 16, 2009, 07:46 PM

Rashna, well I am developing a new philosophy, and you want to be a prophetess maybe we can make some deal as I would have to initiate you, also my teachings will be esoteric in the sense only a select few initiates will be accepted. You could be the first poetess or a higher priestess.

thnkyu Tut, but I'm not really interested!

Run for the hills

World renowned historian Will Durant"...the Islamic conquest of India is probably the bloodiest story in history. It is a discouraging tale, for its evident moral is that civilization is a precious good, whose delicate complex order and freedom can at any moment be overthrown..."
     Reply #32 - April 16, 2009, 08:04 PM

Rashna,

You're so awesome. I had another debate about Islam today and I used the examples of Khadija and Sajah to prove that pre-Islamic Arabia wasn't quite as misogynistic as Mohammad's "revolutionary" religion.

Afro

Islam: where idiots meet terrorists.
     Reply #33 - April 16, 2009, 08:49 PM

Rashna,

You're so awesome. I had another debate about Islam today and I used the examples of Khadija and Sajah to prove that pre-Islamic Arabia wasn't quite as misogynistic as Mohammad's "revolutionary" religion.

Afro

Teşekkur ederim Zaephon!  Narcissist

World renowned historian Will Durant"...the Islamic conquest of India is probably the bloodiest story in history. It is a discouraging tale, for its evident moral is that civilization is a precious good, whose delicate complex order and freedom can at any moment be overthrown..."
     Reply #34 - April 16, 2009, 08:53 PM

Yes. Rashna and awais, thank you both for bringing up the info and references about Sakina, among all the others. There is some good stuff in this thread!

In my time, I've seen A LOT of literature and videos etc. that are aimed at exposing the hypocrissy and lies behind the larger Islamic world and religion. Shias are a minority among Muslims, and according to some Muslims, they're not really Muslims, so there's no fount of information that I've found that highlights the issues and discrepencies within the Shia mythology, from an apostate's perspective. And the Shia mythology is slightly different from Sunni mythology, while of course, there are sub-sects within those that each have their own version of "the truth".

So it's really interesting to see all these alternative versions of one of the Shia's highly regarded characters, Sakina.

If there is truth to Mernissi's version, this has some serious potential. There's much to do, look up, research, write....

I just wanted to thank you both.  yes

"Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused."
     Reply #35 - April 23, 2009, 06:25 AM

Yes. Rashna and awais, thank you both for bringing up the info and references about Sakina, among all the others. There is some good stuff in this thread!

(...)

So it's really interesting to see all these alternative versions of one of the Shia's highly regarded characters, Sakina.

If there is truth to Mernissi's version, this has some serious potential. There's much to do, look up, research, write....

I just wanted to thank you both.  yes

No problem Smiley

This sounds nice, for a Muslimah. But wasn't Sakina, daughter of hussain, grand daughter of Ali killed in the dungeons while the whole lot was imprisoned after the Karbala incident? That's what I heard growing up from every direction... it's a big thing among Shias who spend long amounts of time mourning her and the rest of Hussain's family every year (Ashura). Are we thinking of 2 different people?

I checked out the book "The veil and the male elite: a feminist interpretation of women's rights in Islam" by Fatima Mernissi from the university's library here, and the passage I copied and pasted from another site quoting it goes on to say:

You can imagine my surprise when I was accused of lying at a conference in Penang, Malaysia in 1984, where I presented Sukayna as a type of traditional Muslim woman for us to think about. My accuser, a Pakistani, editor of an Islamic journal in London, interrupted me, shouting to the audience: "Sukayna died at the age of six!" Trying to snatch the microphone away from me in a vindictive rage, he kept repeating: "She died at Karbala with her father! She died at Karbala!" Then smugly assuming the role of qadi, he demanded that I name the sources where I found my version of Sukayna's history. I furnished him a list on the spot - in Arabic obviously. He looked at it with disdain and told me it was very scanty. In fact, it contained the names of Ibn Qutayba, Ibn 'Abd Rabbih, Ibn 'Asakir, al-Zamakshari, Ibn Sa'd, Ibn al-Ma'ad, al-Isbahani, al-Dhahabi, Al-Safadi, Al-Washaa, al-Bukhari - in short, the great names of Muslim historiography. I learned later that this important editor, whose journal claims to contribute a better understanding of the Muslim world, neither speaks nor reads Arabic.

Sukayna died in Medina at the age of 68 (117 AH). Other sources have her dying at the age of 77 at Kufa. (...)

In any case, that verbal aggression that I was subjected to and that attempt to obliterate the memory of Sukayna by a modern Muslim man who only accepts his wife as veiled, crushed, and silent remains for me an incident that symbolizes the whole matter of the relationship of the Muslim man to time - of amnesia as memory, of the past as warping the possibilities of the present. (...)

What a strange memory, where even dead men and women do not escape attempts at assassination, if by chance they threated to raise the hijab that covers the mediocrity and servility that is presented to us as tradition. How did the tradition succeed in transforming the Muslim woman into that submissive, marginal creature who buries herself and only goes out into the world timidly and huddled in her veils? Why does the Muslim man need such a mutilated companion? (...)

From the footnotes:

For biographical information on Sakayna, see the following, which, however, is far from being an exhaustive list: Ibn Sa'd, Tabaqat, vol. 8, p. 475; Isbahani, Aghani, vol. 3, pp. 36Iff; vol. 16, pp.138ff; vol. 17, pp.43ff; and vol. 19, pp.155ff; Ibn 'Asakir, Tarikh Madinat Dimashq (Damascus: n.p., 1982), pp. 155ff. (The authr died in the eleventh century.); Ibn Hasan al-Malaki, Hada'iq; Ibn Habib al-Baghdadi, Kitab al-Muhabbar (Beirut: Al-Maktaba al-Tijariya, n.d.), pp. 439ff. (The author died in the year 245 AH, 9th Century CE.)

I chose to get circumcised at 17, don't tell me I never believed.
     Reply #36 - April 23, 2009, 07:55 AM

Thank you sign awais! Really informative.  Smiley

Sherry Jones, who wrote the controversial novel "The Jewel of Medina," about Prophet Muhammad's child wife Ayesha, says that she's planning to write a book about Sukayna as well.

Quote from: Sherry Jones
    I also envision a third book in the trilogy, about Sukayna bint al-Hussein, the great-granddaughter of Muhammad, the granddaughter of Ali. She was an early Arabic feminist, living in Mecca during the height of that's city's intellectual glory, and a fascinating woman. Another inspiration!!!

The publishers' of the Ayesha novel were firebombed by irate Muslim mobs, although most Muslims accept Ayesha married Muhammad very young, now they'll be furious if a novel about Sukayna's adult life comes out, when they prefer claiming she died young!  evil

Reply #37 - April 23, 2009, 08:28 AM

What are the cheapest sites to buy these books?
     Reply #38 - April 23, 2009, 09:05 AM

Amazon, Alibris...?

Reply #39 - April 23, 2009, 09:12 AM

Think I'll wait till my next pay check, then I'll order a load of books.
     Reply #40 - April 23, 2009, 09:14 AM

"When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes." -Erasmus Smiley

Reply #41 - April 23, 2009, 09:25 AM

"When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes." -Erasmus Smiley

I prefer to spend on food and clothes Tongue
  • Favourite Character in Islamic Scriptures
     Reply #42 - May 24, 2015, 05:33 PM

Alexander the Great.

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #43 - May 24, 2015, 07:16 PM

Harut and Marut.
     Reply #44 - May 24, 2015, 07:37 PM

Favourite Character in Islamic Scriptures

well I consider ONLY QURAN as "Islamic scriptue"..

So for me the fictional characters  "Muhammad" & "Allah"  are my favorite ------

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #45 - May 24, 2015, 09:44 PM

My sympathies lie with Iblis.

No free mixing of the sexes is permitted on these forums or via PM or the various chat groups that are operating.

Women must write modestly and all men must lower their case.

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?425649-Have-some-Hayaa-%28modesty-shame%29-people!
     Reply #46 - May 25, 2015, 12:46 AM

Abu Sufyan Ibn Harb
     Reply #47 - May 25, 2015, 12:47 AM

Harut and Marut.

Cheesy
  • Previous page 1 2« Previous thread | Next thread »