Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Yesterday at 07:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Nice things about Islam and Muslim culture.

(Read 56049 times)
  • Previous page 1 23 4 ... 7 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Re: Nice things about Islam and Muslim culture.
     Reply #30 - March 30, 2009, 09:47 PM

Quote from: Baal
    Calligraphy however, holy shiit its friggin good.

Yep. I especially like calligraphic pieces which imitate animals and objects.

By the way, I wasn't able to visit the Museum of Islamic Arts in Cairo. I did visit the Qoptic Museum though --nice manuscripts and textiles there.

Islam: where idiots meet terrorists.
     Reply #31 - March 30, 2009, 10:03 PM

Halal meat is tastier than the average commercial cut of meat you get here. Call to prayer sounds pretty damn cool to me. Architecture is cool too.

fuck you
     Reply #32 - March 30, 2009, 10:17 PM

Call to prayer sounds pretty damn cool to me.

Strange, I find it so creepy that I can't even stand it. I switch to loud metal music when I hear the call to prayer.

piggy

Reply #33 - March 30, 2009, 10:24 PM

Strange, I find it so creepy that I can't even stand it. I switch to loud metal music when I hear the call to prayer.

piggy

I think creepy stuff can be cool. Anyhow, what's really creepy is just when I read your post about "loud metal music", Danzig happened to come up on the iTunes queue.

fuck you
     Reply #34 - March 30, 2009, 10:25 PM

Halal meat is tastier than the average commercial cut of meat you get here.

That has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that it's halal.  If the meat was non-halal and it was cooked and prepared in the same way then it would taste exactly the same.

Infact a lot of Muslims are doubtful about whether their local "halal" takeaway is actually halal.

Indian/Asian cooking in general is just tastey, whether the meat is halal or not...  Afro

I reckon I should make a food thread. Yummy

Reply #35 - March 30, 2009, 10:31 PM

Halal meat is tastier than the average commercial cut of meat you get here.

That has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that it's halal.  If the meat was non-halal and it was cooked and prepared in the same way then it would taste exactly the same.

Infact a lot of Muslims are doubtful about whether their local "halal" takeaway is actually halal.

Disagree. Are you telling me you can't tell the difference in quality between different kinds of the same cut of beef, regardless of how it is prepared? Fact is, although I like a nice bloody steak as much as the next guy, halal and kosher meat are produced in smaller quantities and have more stringent standards for treatment of the animals before slaughter than most factory farms, so comparing apples to apples-- Halal and Kosher deli meats and hot dogs tend to be far superior to their non-kosher/halal equivalents. Of course, you're SOL if you want good sopressata, proscuitto, capicola or salami! Smiley

fuck you
     Reply #36 - March 31, 2009, 01:14 AM

Disagree. Are you telling me you can't tell the difference in quality between different kinds of the same cut of beef, regardless of how it is prepared? Fact is, although I like a nice bloody steak as much as the next guy, halal and kosher meat are produced in smaller quantities and have more stringent standards for treatment of the animals before slaughter than most factory farms, so comparing apples to apples-- Halal and Kosher deli meats and hot dogs tend to be far superior to their non-kosher/halal equivalents.

It is perfectly possible to produce non-halal meat in smaller quantities and administer these same stringent standards of treatment to the animals before slaughter.

The fact that many factory farms do not do so merely shows their failure.  It does not show the superiority of the halal method of slaughter.

There are generally 3 criteria?s which make a slaughtered animal halal:

1) The animal has to be slaughtered by a Muslim.
    2) You must recite Allahs name when you slaughter the animal.
    3) The fully conscious animal must be slaughtered with a swift swipe of a sharp knife to the neck to severe its arteries.

I?m sure we?d both agree that the first 2 criteria?s make absolutely no difference to the quality of meat (ie whether the animal was slaughtered by a Muslim or whether Allahs name was said when it was slaughtered).

All that remains is the 3rd criteria, and I would guess that if the animal was stunned first and then its neck was cut? it would yield the same resultant quality of meat.

Reply #37 - March 31, 2009, 02:39 AM

Architecture is cool too.

How so? I must ask. I've known Muslim architects and have seen the hoops the design teams have to jump through to makes a building "Islamic".  It's "cool" if you don't know architecture very well but from my view I'm seeing a lot of creativity being stifled. If "Islamic " architecture is anything the best examples of it sure don't originate from Saudi Arabia. Not that the Saudis would agree since they went on a demolition binge of mosques built during the Ottoman period and some of them were quite impressive. Maybe it was an attempt to wipe out vestiges of a colonial legacy.
     Reply #38 - March 31, 2009, 03:45 AM

piggy

At 4m to 5am in the morning? A continious crescendo of ruckus?
    In 4 more hours during the day? Interrupting TV shows to listen to this 'pretty damn cool tune'?
    Of course you will say that the call does not last an hour. But when the block u live in is surrounded by 12-20 mosques, it will last an hour. And they go out of their way to spread the ruckus over the longest time possible.

And how u get 12-20 mosques on One block? Imagine a family of 4-10. Two small bedrooms and a kitchen. The Father goes salafi and converts One of the Two rooms into a mosque. he buys a big ass speackerphone. Plugs the headphone at the window. And away he goes. Whatever little breathing living space he had in his house for *his* family, is now One more note in the the ruckus that will go on and on for Five hours each day.

What is cool about this shiit rizzwan.

"Ask the slave girl; she will tell you the truth.' So the Apostle called Burayra to ask her. Ali got up and gave her a violent beating first, saying, 'Tell the Apostle the truth.'"
     Reply #39 - March 31, 2009, 07:28 AM

How so? I must ask. I've known Muslim architects and have seen the hoops the design teams have to jump through to makes a building "Islamic".  It's "cool" if you don't know architecture very well but from my view I'm seeing a lot of creativity being stifled. If "Islamic " architecture is anything the best examples of it sure don't originate from Saudi Arabia. Not that the Saudis would agree since they went on a demolition binge of mosques built during the Ottoman period and some of them were quite impressive. Maybe it was an attempt to wipe out vestiges of a colonial legacy.

Almost every single mosque in Turkey is modelled upon Hagia Sophia, so they are fairly stereotypical and boring, with only a few notable exceptions. I have seen some interesting mosques in Egypt, too.

Reply #40 - March 31, 2009, 07:33 AM

Almost every single mosque in Turkey is modelled upon Hagia Sophia, so they are fairly stereotypical and boring, with only a few notable exceptions. I have seen some interesting mosques in Egypt, too.

Reply #41 - March 31, 2009, 08:53 AM

Art, especially ones revolving around Quranic verses. They simply are amazing Smiley

Sorry, I stopped seeing geometric art as amazing a long time ago.

I still love them.
     Reply #42 - March 31, 2009, 09:43 AM

Art, especially ones revolving around Quranic verses. They simply are amazing Smiley

I still love them.

Me too and I love Islamic architecture and beautiful old mosques just as I love walking around Oxford and enjoying the wonderful old university buildings and churches.

The fact that I don't believe in Islam or Christianity doesn't make a difference to me - it seems odd that some ppl's dislike of Islam makes them hate everything associated with it.
     Reply #43 - March 31, 2009, 10:16 AM

I still love them.

Me too and I love Islamic architecture and beautiful old mosques just as I love walking around Oxford and enjoying the wonderful old university buildings and churches.

The fact that I don't believe in Islam or Christianity doesn't make a difference to me - it seems odd that some ppl's dislike of Islam makes them hate everything associated with it.

It's not a surprise, it's probably because it reminds them of a religion that betrayed them.
     Reply #44 - March 31, 2009, 10:57 AM

I still love them.

It's not a surprise, it's probably because it reminds them of a religion that betrayed them.

That's true and I know some people here have a lot of anger towards Islam and by association Muslims also, but I personally am not angry towards Islam and don't feel anything or anyone has betrayed me - and I would rather see us project a more balanced image on this forum than a lot of angry people.

It would have been nice if we could have had a positive thread about Islam, just to show that although we are apostates we are fair-minded, balanced and not extreme.

I used to get so fed up with some Muslims who were so blinkered and selective in their view of Islam & Muslims that they thought everything associated with it was wonderful and Muslims could do no wrong.

But when I read some posts on here it feels like I have just changed the flavour of the blinkered and unbalanced thinking.

I know most here are not like that, but it's a shame that any attempt to keep things in perspective are scuttled and I'm just getting a bit weary of it.
     Reply #45 - March 31, 2009, 11:03 AM

Even though personally I have little good to say about Islam or Muslim culture (for the reasons given by PS and because I never liked it anyway) I agree with you that there should be a continuous thread where people can perhaps feel nostalgic and list the things they like. It should be a thread where ideology is left well-alone and all they talk about is perhaps certain practices, rituals or effects that culture has implemented. People who have nothing good to say (like me) shouldn't participate in such a thread so that it's kept positive as a balance to the negative things we need to say in other places.

Perhaps you can start up a new thread-sort of a sticky continuos discussion (like the Off-topic one)?

"I am ready to make my confession. I ask for no forgiveness father, for I have not sinned. I have only done what I needed to do to survive. I did not ask for the life that I was given, but it was given nonetheless-and with it, I did my best"
     Reply #46 - March 31, 2009, 11:51 AM

Me too and I love Islamic architecture

There is no such thing as "Islamic architecture". Take it from someone who has taken formal training in that field.  As I've written before (and as Zaephon has correctly pointed out to me) the repetitive nature of mosques in Turkey much of what one sees when viewing mosques is usually a building whose base shape and form are borrowed (or outright stolen) from cultures and societies way outside of Islam. The Hagia Sophia is a case in point where so many people (and even I momentarily) will view it a-historically. That is. . .  without taking into consideration that many mosque designs are rip-offs from the cultures of conquered people. If you can wander around old church yards in England you should keep in mind that some of them were built upon the foundations of pagan temples  and that many a person's fate was decided by the leaders of those churches who (in so many cases) were not truly practicing Christians but instead made use of Christianity as an instrument of statecraft. With an illiterate population damn near all things are possible so it was quite easy to flout the invention of the flying buttress as God's gift when in fact, it is a result of centuries of trial and error. Nowadays, with the emergence of mega mosques the lozenge shapes used in the design of such outward designs, ever lighter concrete forms and engineered lighting effects can sway the ignorant into thinking that a divine aura has entered into their presence when in fact much of these attributes are directly descended from the works of Frank Lloyd Wright, Le Corbusier and Bauhaus. These people deserve the credit. Not Allah or even Islam.
     Reply #47 - March 31, 2009, 12:37 PM

Quote from: PeruvianSkies

For me, this is not the case.

My problem with Islam is completely ideological. If reducing this to "anger against Islam" or "just changing the flavour of hatred" will make some people feel better, let them do so. Nobody is obliged to to feel any respect to any aspect of Islam or Islamic culture, or pretend to do so, in order to appease some vague concept of "balance." Who knows, maybe I am a xenophobe too, even though I was born into Islam. After all, I have been accused of "bigotry" at least once in this forum. This just shows how far some people can get attached to their vision, and judge other people accordingly.

I am going to repeat, positive stereotypes are as wrong as negative stereotypes. What exactly is "imbalanced" about this statement? I hear such accusations every time there is a controversial subject, yet nobody bothers to refute the anti-Islamic arguments hanging in the air, and I am expected to convince myself that there is any intrinsic value to be found in Islam for the sake of what? Moderation? Moderation according to whom?

The pedophilia thread, for example. Some people, apparently, think that rejecting/rewording Mohammad's pedophilia makes us very "tolerant" and "moderate."

Quote from: Alsar al-Zindiqi
    These people deserve the credit. Not Allah or even Islam.

I agree, though I think Hassan would give the credit to Islamic culture, not Allah.

There were brilliant people born into the Islamic world, yes, but why should Islam get any share of their individual glory? The credit always belongs to the individual. Would these people be less brilliant if they were born into another culture?

There is, for example, at least one Ottoman architect who designed majestic mosques. Wouldn't he design equally grand churches in he were born into the Christian Europe?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinan

Reply #48 - March 31, 2009, 05:49 PM

It is perfectly possible to produce non-halal meat in smaller quantities and administer these same stringent standards of treatment to the animals before slaughter.

Yeah, but when it comes to most commercially-available cold cuts and hot dogs, they don't.

The fact that many factory farms do not do so merely shows their failure.  It does not show the superiority of the halal method of slaughter.

Fair enough, but all I know is when it comes to things like Pastrami and hot dogs, and certain other beef products (depending on what I'm going for when cooking), as well as most poultry products, I'm gonna be more likely to pick the kosher or halal version if it's available, because it's likely to taste better. There's this fried chicken chain in the Northeastern US that's really good-- it goes under various names-- Kennedy Fried Chicken, Crown Fried Chicken, New York Chicken and Biscuit-- anyhow, these places are normally found in urban ghettos, and the batter, seasoning and frying method they use isn't really that different than any other place that makes fried chicken (with the exception of Popeye's, which I think is the best of the big chains); what makes them good is that nowadays they are mostly run by Afghani immigrants so they use halal chicken.

We could debate this all day, but, with the exception of a good bloody steak or hamburger, most of the time I'm gonna say that the kosher or halal meat is better than the commercial, secular American counterpart. That's just my opinion. You can disagree but you won't get me to change my opinion any more than if you made the world's best argument that The Clash were actually no better than the Goo Goo Dolls.

fuck you
     Reply #49 - March 31, 2009, 05:52 PM

I, in fact, don't know architecture very well, any more than I know about painting and poetry-- I just know it looks cool to me, that's all. I'm not trying to give an expert analysis, just a personal opinion.

fuck you
     Reply #50 - March 31, 2009, 06:11 PM

I'm gonna be more likely to pick the kosher or halal version if it's available, because it's likely to taste better.

That's so strange lol I am the opposite, I have tried the halal burgers, sausages etc and I much prefer the non halal versions.

Even my kids (who have NO idea whatsoever whether it's halal or not) have turned their noses up at the halal versions saying "It doesn't taste right mum"

I still buy some halal products because I like the taste, but some of their substitutes (ie the burgers and sausages) just don't cut it for me.  Tongue

Inhale the good shit, exhale the bullshit.
     Reply #51 - March 31, 2009, 06:17 PM

I'm gonna be more likely to pick the kosher or halal version if it's available, because it's likely to taste better.

That's so strange lol I am the opposite, I have tried the halal burgers, sausages etc and I much prefer the non halal versions.

Even my kids (who have NO idea whatsoever whether it's halal or not) have turned their noses up at the halal versions saying "It doesn't taste right mum"

I still buy some halal products because I like the taste, but some of their substitutes (ie the burgers and sausages) just don't cut it for me.  Tongue

Oh, I'd never choose a halal burger or steak above a regular one, because I like my burgers/steaks juicy and slightly bloody (pink in the middle-- cooked to medium temp). Nor sausage, as I prefer pork sausage (in fact, if it doesn't have pork in it, I don't really consider it sausage). But for beef cold cuts (with the exception of roast beef), hot dogs or chicken, I'll pick the halal/kosher version every time.

fuck you
     Reply #52 - March 31, 2009, 06:19 PM

Oh, I'd never choose a halal burger or steak above a regular one, because I like my burgers/steaks juicy and slightly bloody (pink in the middle-- cooked to medium temp). Nor sausage, as I prefer pork sausage (in fact, if it doesn't have pork in it, I don't really consider it sausage). But for beef cold cuts (with the exception of roast beef), hot dogs or chicken, I'll pick the halal/kosher version every time.

Oh yeah, agreed lol pork is just yummy, I'll always choose the pork version over the beef ones.

Reply #53 - March 31, 2009, 06:20 PM

Halal meat varies greatly. Many shops that say they are Halal are not really Halal and simply buy old very cheap cuts of meat.

If you really want tasty meat, organic is best. The animals are reared on wholesome organic feed and treated humanely.

Smiley
     Reply #54 - March 31, 2009, 06:21 PM

Halal meat varies greatly. Many shops that say they are Halal are not really Halal and simply buy old very cheap cuts of meat.

If you really want tasty meat, organic is best. The animals are reared on wholesome organic feed and treated humanely.

Smiley

Organic is kinda pricey though  Cry

Reply #55 - March 31, 2009, 06:26 PM

Smiley

True, but price is dropping and will drop more as more ppl move over.

I used to be skeptic of organic, but since being on my brothers farm I have really been won over - there really is a BIG difference in taste and when you see the difference between the feed and care of ordinary animals and organic ones you will never want to eat non-organic (esp chickens).
     Reply #56 - March 31, 2009, 06:36 PM

Smiley

Its pricey because of all the costs associated with producing it.  My uncle owns an organic farm, and you should see all the red tape he has to go through to keep his organic license, which he still then has to pay for!

Plus, obviously its more expensive to raise animals humanely than to pack them into dark, cramped cages and sheds and pump them full of hormones and antibiotics to accelerate growth.  That's why factory farmers do it the cruel way, its so much cheaper. 

The difference is worth paying for though, both in terms of taste, healthiness and the gulf in the respective quality of life the animals have.

"Befriend them not, Oh murtads, and give them neither parrot nor bunny."  - happymurtad's advice on trolls.
     Reply #57 - March 31, 2009, 07:21 PM

Smiley

Organic is kinda pricey though  :'(

Its pricey because of all the costs associated with producing it.  My uncle owns an organic farm, and you should see all the red tape he has to go through to keep his organic license, which he still then has to pay for!

Plus, obviously its more expensive to raise animals humanely than to pack them into dark, cramped cages and sheds and pump them full of hormones and antibiotics to accelerate growth.  That's why factory farmers do it the cruel way, its so much cheaper. 

The difference is worth paying for though, both in terms of taste, healthiness and the gulf in the respective quality of life the animals have.

Yep - you are absolutely right about the stringent standards and tests etc... My brother's accrediting authority is the "Soil Association"

http://www.soilassociation.org/
     Reply #58 - March 31, 2009, 07:27 PM

Yep - you are absolutely right about the stringent standards and tests etc... My brother's accrediting authority is the "Soil Association"

That's the same organisation which does my uncle's accreditation.  There's also some government appointed busybody who turns up to do unannounced spot checks at regular intervals, which means he has to down tools and waste half a day showing him everything he wants to inspect. 

Given all the hoops they're made to jump through, its a wonder organic produce isn't dearer than it is.

"Befriend them not, Oh murtads, and give them neither parrot nor bunny."  - happymurtad's advice on trolls.
     Reply #59 - March 31, 2009, 07:32 PM

That's the same organisation which does my uncle's accreditation.  There's also some government appointed busybody who turns up to do unannounced spot checks at regular intervals, which means he has to down tools and waste half a day showing him everything he wants to inspect. 

Given all the hoops they're made to jump through, its a wonder organic produce isn't dearer than it is.

Yes, my brother had a guy turn up yesterday. Big hassle and they always have to find something that needs attention. Everyone is stressed out until he goes. Not me though - I just do the driving/deliveries lol
  • Previous page 1 23 4 ... 7 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »