Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 04:17 AM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Yesterday at 07:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Nice things about Islam and Muslim culture.

(Read 56053 times)
  • 12 3 ... 7 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Nice things about Islam and Muslim culture.
     OP - March 26, 2009, 08:29 PM

Reading a couple of peoples' posts on this forum, you would think that all Muslims and Islam emerged directly from Satans backside and there is not an ounce of good in anything that Islam says or in any Muslims!

I wanted to show that the Islamic world is not all amputations, being horrible to women and honour killings but there are actually some nice things about it as well.

I'll start it off by saying Muslims are some of the most hospitable people I have ever met! If you go to stay at a Muslim's house, they will give you their bed and sleep on the floor.

Anybody else got any suggestions?

Religion - The hot potato that looked delicious but ended up burning your mouth!

Knock your head on the ground, don't be miserly in your prayers, listen to your Sidi Sheikh, Allahu Akbar! - Lounes Matoub
  • Re: Nice things about Islam and Muslim culture.
     Reply #1 - March 26, 2009, 08:36 PM

I'm going to say something nice about Islam, because most of the muslims I have ever come across in real life aren't exactly devout.  (Actually, that can be my nice comment about muslims - most of the ones I know aren't exactly devout. Cheesy)

Islam banned female infanticide. 

"Befriend them not, Oh murtads, and give them neither parrot nor bunny."  - happymurtad's advice on trolls.
     Reply #2 - March 26, 2009, 08:38 PM

Well, I have to admit I do love some of the architecture. 

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #3 - March 26, 2009, 08:40 PM

I'm going to say something nice about Islam, because most of the muslims I have ever come across in real life aren't exactly devout.  (Actually, that can be my nice comment about muslims - most of the ones I know aren't exactly devout. Cheesy)

Islam banned female infanticide. 

I find it funny when people defend the status of women in Islam and say "Islam banned female infanticide". Obviously that was a good thing, but it does not show that Islam is amazingly tolerant to women because you would expect any civilised society to ban female infanticide!

Religion - The hot potato that looked delicious but ended up burning your mouth!

Knock your head on the ground, don't be miserly in your prayers, listen to your Sidi Sheikh, Allahu Akbar! - Lounes Matoub
     Reply #4 - March 26, 2009, 08:42 PM

Well, Islamic countries in Africa have markedly lower AIDS rates. Considering that millions have died due to AIDS in past decades in Africa, thats' a pretty +ive contribution of Islam.

World renowned historian Will Durant"...the Islamic conquest of India is probably the bloodiest story in history. It is a discouraging tale, for its evident moral is that civilization is a precious good, whose delicate complex order and freedom can at any moment be overthrown..."
     Reply #5 - March 26, 2009, 08:43 PM

In any case it was only the Bedouin who practised female infanticide, not the Meccans, and even the Bedouin apparently mainly did it in harsh times.

But yes, it's rather like banning the torture of kittens.

Reply #6 - March 26, 2009, 08:45 PM

Yeah, I know, but you asked for good things about muslims and Islam and that was the first thing that came to my mind.  Anyway I thought of two more things...

1)  Jews in the Middle Ages were safer under an Islamic Caliph than in Christian Europe.  I know it was far from perfect, they held dhimmi status, and the treatment of dhimmis varied according to the whim of each Caliph, but even dhimmi status was better than being put to death or expelled from the country.

2)  Albania is the only country which fell under the Third Reich to have had a higher Jewish population after the war than before, because the Albanians hid them.  That wasn't just the Albanian muslims, but the country is around 75% muslim, so in Albania obviously a lot of muslims sided with the Jews over the Nazis, even at risk to their own lives.

"Befriend them not, Oh murtads, and give them neither parrot nor bunny."  - happymurtad's advice on trolls.
     Reply #7 - March 26, 2009, 08:45 PM

Well, Islamic countries in Africa have markedly lower AIDS rates. Considering that millions have died due to AIDS in past decades in Africa, thats' a pretty +ive contribution of Islam.

Do they really have lower rates of AIDS, or do they only have lower reported  rates of AIDS? There's a difference.

Reply #8 - March 26, 2009, 08:51 PM

The thing is the good you can find is Islam is good that you can find among many human beings or cultures. Nothing inherent in the teachings makes a person any better than another person can be thru a normal secular humane lifestyle.

Knowing Islam is the only true religion we do not allow propagation of any other religion. How can we allow building of churches and temples when their religion is wrong? Thus we will not allow such wrong things in our countries. - Zakir Naik
     Reply #9 - March 26, 2009, 08:56 PM

Do they really have lower rates of AIDS, or do they only have lower reported  rates of AIDS? There's a difference.

I think its partly real, even if they're exaggerating. Check this topic out.
    http://www.councilofexmuslims.com/index.php?topic=4652.0

World renowned historian Will Durant"...the Islamic conquest of India is probably the bloodiest story in history. It is a discouraging tale, for its evident moral is that civilization is a precious good, whose delicate complex order and freedom can at any moment be overthrown..."
     Reply #10 - March 26, 2009, 08:58 PM

Yeah, I know, but you asked for good things about muslims and Islam and that was the first thing that came to my mind.  Anyway I thought of two more things...

That wasn't a dig at you. I was saying it was good that female infanticide was banned. It was a dig at people who act as if it was something really amazing, rather than something that just should have been done.

Reply #11 - March 26, 2009, 08:59 PM

Somalia has one of the lowest AIDS rates in subsaharan Africa

Reply #12 - March 26, 2009, 09:02 PM

Lowest is Senegal, a Muslim country where death penalty is abolished, inter faith marriages are common, it had a woman Head of State, prostitution is legal & condoms are widely distributed, so its not like Somali stonings are keeping AIDS rates down.
    Senegal has .8% AIDS.

Reply #13 - March 26, 2009, 09:08 PM

That's pretty impressive rate for Senegal. Even if it isn't totally accurate (and I don't know) it still indicates a very low true rate.

Senegalese Islam is nothing like Saudi Islam either. Wink

Reply #14 - March 26, 2009, 09:14 PM

Lowest is Senegal, a Muslim country where death penalty is abolished, inter faith marriages are common, it had a woman Head of State, prostitution is legal & condoms are widely distributed, so its not like Somali stonings are keeping AIDS rates down.
    Senegal has .8% AIDS.

Wow! I just looked up Senegal and didn't realise that it was 95% Muslim! That's why I used Somalia as an example of low rate of AIDS. I thought Senegal would be about 60% Muslim.

Reply #15 - March 26, 2009, 09:17 PM

That's pretty impressive rate for Senegal. Even if it isn't totally accurate (and I don't know) it still indicates a very low true rate.

Senegalese Islam is nothing like Saudi Islam either. Wink

Senegal has .8% AIDS.

Wow! I just looked up Senegal and didn't realise that it was 95% Muslim! That's why I used Somalia as an example of low rate of AIDS. I thought Senegal would be about 60% Muslim.

There's another pretty tolerant nation like Mali with pretty low AIDS rates as well. See? I enlightened you about a great thing Islam's doing in todays' world while still avoiding Shariah style stonings!  Smiley

Reply #16 - March 26, 2009, 09:34 PM

There's another pretty tolerant nation like Mali with pretty low AIDS rates as well. See? I enlightened you about a great thing Islam's doing in todays' world while still avoiding Shariah style stonings!  Smiley

Just goes to show Islam can reform

Reply #17 - March 26, 2009, 09:40 PM

Of course it can. It just takes time and a will to do it.

Reply #18 - March 26, 2009, 09:40 PM

Muslims are just normal human beings, neither better or any worse than anyone else.  They become unstuck when attempting to defend the integrity of the Quran,  only because they are trying to remain true & sincere to their creator.

The only bad Muslim was the Prophet, as he knew for a fact his Quranic recitation was a load of bull and despite this manipulated naive bedouins to pillage & murder in his personal quest for sex, cash & glory.

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #19 - March 26, 2009, 10:03 PM

...and then finally die.

Islam: where idiots meet terrorists.
     Reply #20 - March 27, 2009, 06:13 PM

Ok maybe they stopped killing their infant baby girls at birth...but now they just wait until they are 16 or something...decide they want a "normal" life and refuse to conform...then instead of calling infanticide its called honour killing..same difference  Huh?

Anyhow...something nice...Muslims are some of the cleanest people I know...usually smell pretty good...and generally have good hygience etc...but I must admit they are horrible at keeping the environment clean...horrible littlerbugs  finmad
     Reply #21 - March 29, 2009, 07:11 AM

Re: the wonderfulness of Islamic Senegal:

1) 4-year old Koranic student Harouna Balde has to beg on the streets and if he doesn't bring back money to the religious teacher will beat him

"Balde is one of an estimated 100,000 children begging on the streets of Senegal, according to U.N. officials -- most of them sent out by their religious teachers."

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/africa/06/16/senegal.children.reut/index.html

2) A year ago Senegal hosted a summit of Muslim African nations -- did they talk about the genocide in Darfur?  the hell that jihad has brought to Somalians?  No: they were there to talk about (besides of course the evil Jews of Israel) what Muslims can do againsts those horrible CARTOONISTS of Denmark, as well as the supposed rise around the world of "anti-Islamic" speech and actions.

Not to mention from the same link we learn that Senegal's president (Abdoulaye Wade) is the chairman of the OIC, which represents all Muslim nations in the world, and which still refuses to endorse the United Nations Declaration of Human Rights, but instead insists on Muslim nations abiding by a separate declaration, the "Cairo Declaration of Human Rights" -- which among other unacceptable things specifically grants loopholes for the unjust treatment of minorities and women, as well as for the punishment of "blasphemy" and apostasy.

http://haaretz.com/hasen/spages/964418.html

Quoted at the time of the conference, Wade, the President of Senegal and chairman of the OIC, said: ?I don?t think freedom of expression should mean freedom from blasphemy. There can be no freedom without limits.?

3) More pertinent to the preposterous claims about miraculously low incidence of AIDS in Senegal:

This story indicates a high degree of homophobia in Senegalese society and laws -- http://www.afrol.com/articles/28112

From the linked story, a covert gay wedding was held in Senegal, and it convulsed the nation after it was published by local news:

"The publication has flared tempers in the predominantly Muslim nation, resulting to arrest and detention of homosexuals and all those who graced the wedding, including musicians."

And this: 

"Senegalese authorities have been under local religious pressures to avoid tolerating homosexuality in the country, especially as the country prepares to host a major international Islamic summit on 12 March.

Led by an influential Muslim cleric and lawmaker, Imam Mbaye Niang, hundreds of people took to the streets of Dakar to protest against the government's failure to prosecute the gay suspects.

Chanting Allahu Akbar [God is great], the protesters later turned violent, burning rubbish and blockading roads close to the central mosque in Dakar."

Also, under Senegalese law, it is a crime to engage in homosexual acts at all.  In this story, men charged were sentenced to 8 years in prison -- which is better, I guess, than throwing them off a tall building or cliff as classical Islam requires...  (While Senegal recently finally got around to making female genital mutilation a crime, the penalty is 5 years in prison -- three years less than if you engage in homosexual act.  Their priorities are grievously, but not surprisingly, misplaced.)

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory?id=6600835

With this much homophobia in a society, we are supposed to believe that they are going to honestly report incidence of AIDS ?  Give me a break!

Also this:

Abdou Houdia Diop - a doctor at a sexually-transmitted disease clinic run by the Senegalese Ministry of Health - says societal, religious and legal disapproval of homosexuality drives many underground.

"Since homosexuals are a hidden group, it is difficult to treat them, and it makes it difficult to manage their treatment because they may not want to get tested or to come for their test results," he said.

(There is more to read at the link below)

http://www.voanews.com/english/archive/2007-02/2007-02-15-voa14.cfm

How can we tell the difference between harmless Muslims, and dangerous Muslims?
     Reply #22 - March 29, 2009, 01:21 PM

Moderate Islam is an oxymoron, and a genuine "reformation" of Islam is synonymous with its destruction.

Reply #23 - March 29, 2009, 01:50 PM

Actualy those are countries still like Egypt was in the 70's and early 80's. Islam just did not get a stranglehold in mali yet. Just like people in Khazakestan still drink alcohol and dress normal. It is not because islam reformed in Khazakestan, it is because Khazakestan was under a totalitarian regime opposed to islam.

"Ask the slave girl; she will tell you the truth.' So the Apostle called Burayra to ask her. Ali got up and gave her a violent beating first, saying, 'Tell the Apostle the truth.'"
     Reply #24 - March 29, 2009, 06:08 PM

The Muslims that I've met and made close friends with through out my life are not exactly your rigid devout types. So, in other words, I've never really made close friends with any hardcore Muslims.

The Muslims I have made close friends with are incredibly friendly people. They welcome you with open arms basically. But, it does go without saying that these people are very moderate in their beliefs.

I would choose to be friends with a moderate Muslim over a hardcore Muslim any day.

Call me TAP TAP! for I am THE ASS PATTER!
     Reply #25 - March 29, 2009, 07:22 PM

The Muslims that I've met and made close friends with through out my life are not exactly your rigid devout types. So, in other words, I've never really made close friends with any hardcore Muslims.

The Muslims I have made close friends with are incredibly friendly people. They welcome you with open arms basically. But, it does go without saying that these people are very moderate in their beliefs.

I would choose to be friends with a moderate Muslim over a hardcore Muslim any day.

All my muslim friends are moderate and i get closer to them much faster then i do whitey. All of them with couple exceptions feel bad that i am going to burn in hell because i am not muslim. Most do not even know what I really think about islam yet, they just know I am going to hell anyways. Most of them want to apply sharia. Most of them are married early with 3-4 kids by the time they are 30 and always like to talk about making more. All of them possess a high level of personal hygiene and their cloth are always well ironed.

One of them, only one is now starting to enter the islamic phaze, he is an engineer, he is young and single and now going in an islamic phaze, so he is leaving the beardy thing grow a little and the hem of his pants is starting to lift a bit higher off the floor. he is a very smart guy and i think he will see them for what they are pretty soon. Not like some other 51yr old engineer from indonesia that we know.

"Ask the slave girl; she will tell you the truth.' So the Apostle called Burayra to ask her. Ali got up and gave her a violent beating first, saying, 'Tell the Apostle the truth.'"
     Reply #26 - March 30, 2009, 04:13 PM

Art, especially ones revolving around Quranic verses. They simply are amazing Smiley
     Reply #27 - March 30, 2009, 05:20 PM

Reading a couple of peoples' posts on this forum, you would think that all Muslims and Islam emerged directly from Satans backside and there is not an ounce of good in anything that Islam says or in any Muslims!

I wanted to show that the Islamic world is not all amputations, being horrible to women and honour killings but there are actually some nice things about it as well.

I'll start it off by saying Muslims are some of the most hospitable people I have ever met! If you go to stay at a Muslim's house, they will give you their bed and sleep on the floor.

Anybody else got any suggestions?

This may seem strange but I have always felt safe amongst Muslims (and I mean ppl who don't know me or what religion I am).

I have also always found Muslims very kind, helpful and generous. In Egypt (and Morocco) when I asked the way to such and such a place and the answer was often "I'm going that way, I will take you..." Then there was also an invitation to eat at their house.

I also remember an incident on a packed London bus where a druggy was threatening some old guy, most ppl looked the other way, but one guy and I stood up and tried to calm him down. After the druggie had gone, the other guy and I started chatting - turned out he was a Muslim from Egypt!
     Reply #28 - March 30, 2009, 09:07 PM

Positive stereotypes are as irrelevant as negative stereotypes.

Technically, saying that "Muslims are hospitable" isn't much different from saying that "Muslims are terrorists." Of course, we can always wax lyrical about how "tolerant" we are to produce such positive stereotypes, but such delusions do not validate the afore-mentioned stereotypes at all.

I have met plenty of "inhospitable" Muslims.

Reply #29 - March 30, 2009, 09:31 PM

Art, especially ones revolving around Quranic verses. They simply are amazing Smiley

Sorry, I stopped seeing geometric art as amazing a long time ago. You make a small pattern, teach a kid how to follow the pattern, and boom you now have something eye-pleasing. Amount of creativity? very little. Can you ever express the 'better mouse trap' through geometric art? impossible. You might as well try drawing a face using lines in "MS Paint"

Calligraphy however, holy shiit its friggin good.

• 12 3 ... 7 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »