Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Yesterday at 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: What's the female minimum age for marriage according to Islam?

(Read 21013 times)
  • Previous page 1 2« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • What's the female minimum age for marriage according to Islam?
     Reply #30 - May 14, 2014, 03:44 AM

And therein lies the problem. Obviously puberty doesn't make someone mature, puberty is the beginning of physical maturity, not maturity itself and doesn't take into account mental and emotional maturity at all. What I find deeply disturbing isn't those who argue that it was a different time, but those who try to justify it today when we know full well it's simply child abuse.

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #31 - May 14, 2014, 05:49 AM

I know one really awful stance is that a prepubescent daughter can be married off against her will (her permission is not required) if her father -- or whoever her wali is -- chooses to marry her off, but the husband can't have sex with her until she's pubescent, by which time she'll have the right to divorce. It's like indentured servitude.

It'd be easier to accept cultural relativism if she were 13 or 14, maybe even 12 because such marriages weren't unheard of in many places back in the day but fucking 9!? I don't know of any times or places where it was normal for grown ass adults to have sex with kids aged in the single digits. A'isha is described as playing on swings and with dolls; she was very clearly a child even by their standards. Does anyone know if there was any shock or outcry when Mo married a 6-year-old? It may have been normal to those guys…
     Reply #32 - May 14, 2014, 06:03 AM

Even if it wasn't normal by the time Mo's marriage to his child bride came about he was already a prophet and someone of growing influence and power, and oh course he'd began dealing more harshly with people who spoke out against him. Remember how he killed a poet for mocking him? This is something that has to be taken into consideration in my opinion.

`Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     Reply #33 - May 14, 2014, 12:18 PM

Quote from: Cornflower
    But what'd you expect, when his role model married a 6 year old

do you think Umar really thought of Muhammad as a role model? I get the feeling that their relationship was simply one of convenience, 2 men allied together to achieve power, Muhammad had the brains and Umar had the brawl.

Umar seems to have been more of a thug than Muhammad and they even argued about what should go in the Quran. there is a hadith where Umar tells Muhammad that he has to send down a wife beating verse because the women were getting too uppity, Muhammad seems reluctant at first but eventually concedes.
     Reply #34 - May 14, 2014, 12:50 PM

In Islamic discourse, he would've been a role model. If you analyze it critically, your description may be relevant. Remember Mo was a cult leader.

"The healthiest people I know are those who are the first to label themselves fucked up." - three
     Reply #35 - May 14, 2014, 01:47 PM

I read about an incident where Umar becomes skeptical and looses his faith in Muhammad, only to regain his faith and come back to him later. There is also another incident after Muhammad's death where Umar reveals a verse of the Quran that Muhammad had "told him" that noone else had heard before.

I will look for references for these when I have a chance.

But these kinds of incidents make me think that Umar was rather cynical of the whole thing throughout.

Reply #36 - May 14, 2014, 01:52 PM

I have a beautiful two-volume translation of a collection on Umar (why are some of my prettiest books Islamic ones?); it includes a lot of the bad stuff, but speaks about it glowingly. It gives the impression that all of his flightiness was before his time as a caliph, and, once he got in the driver's seat, he was pacified. Grin
     Reply #37 - May 14, 2014, 02:01 PM

^yes lua. Umar is described as an asshole, once he became khaleefa he was the most gentle and humble individual in the world

"The healthiest people I know are those who are the first to label themselves fucked up." - three
  • Re: What's the female minimum age for marriage according to Islam?
     Reply #38 - May 14, 2014, 02:05 PM

he was the most gentle and humble individual in the world

Except when he had his walkin' stick and there were townsfolk who needed a good whooping.
     Reply #39 - May 14, 2014, 04:20 PM

isn't there a surah that mentions marriage to pre-menstrual girls?

edit Rationaliser has a video on it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfiAmyz7aY0

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #40 - May 14, 2014, 05:41 PM

All I can say is, as a mother of many girls, if anyone dare tell me they're marriageable before they are of sound mind, fully mature, and done with their education, I will cut their schlongs off myself.

Someday I'll make up my mind...then I'll have something profound to put here.
     Reply #41 - May 14, 2014, 05:51 PM

^^^^ Afro Afro Afro Afro

"I Knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then." Alice in wonderland

"This is the only heaven we have how dare you make it a hell" Dr Marlene Winell
     Reply #42 - May 14, 2014, 06:03 PM

All I can say is, as a mother of many girls, if anyone dare tell me they're marriageable before they are of sound mind, fully mature, and done with their education, I will cut their schlongs off myself.

What if they don't have schlongs?

This plan is lacking in foresight, for mine.

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #43 - May 14, 2014, 06:07 PM

^ I'll find something to cut off or torture them otherwise.  Wink

Someday I'll make up my mind...then I'll have something profound to put here.
     Reply #44 - May 14, 2014, 06:13 PM

Afro

Reply #45 - May 14, 2014, 06:16 PM

isn't there a surah that mentions marriage to pre-menstrual girls?

edit Rationaliser has a video on it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfiAmyz7aY0

A while back I opened a thread on sex with pre-menstruating girls in islam. Surah 65 verse 4 allows it in some translations.

Reply #46 - May 15, 2014, 02:57 PM

Even if it wasn't normal by the time Mo's marriage to his child bride came about he was already a prophet and someone of growing influence and power, and oh course he'd began dealing more harshly with people who spoke out against him. Remember how he killed a poet for mocking him? This is something that has to be taken into consideration in my opinion.

Exactly! And especially as he is supposed to be the 'perfect' example of a human being for generations to come- how can marrying a 6 year old child possibly have been an 'example' to others?
     Reply #47 - May 15, 2014, 06:57 PM

I wish the most devout follower of "the perfect example of all times" had the same attitude for poor Aisha.
     Reply #48 - May 15, 2014, 08:09 PM

Men like their brides young as they are more maleable and can be moulded to the perfect, obedient wife.  If they get them early on, there will be less resistance from the girl as she would not know much of life outside of her home.

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

The sleeper has awakened -  Dune

Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day Give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish!
     Reply #49 - May 16, 2014, 02:30 AM

Men like their brides young as they are more maleable and can be moulded to the perfect, obedient wife.  If they get them early on, there will be less resistance from the girl as she would not know much of life outside of her home.

I would NOT call them men, I would call them brainless bums that don;t know how to live life with life partner ., what all such fools were/are looking is a female servant   that can be used to have sex and act like their baby incubator ...

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #50 - May 16, 2014, 09:54 AM

a female servant that can be used to have sex and act like their baby incubator

That is the what Islam teaches men what women are. Machines to produce more Muslims so that more can worship Muhammad's sock puppet. And speaking of female servants the daughter-in-laws are considered such by many people in Bangladesh. I remember an ad where the mother asked her son to bring a "cook" at home, meaning a bride for him!
     Reply #51 - May 31, 2014, 01:11 AM

Talking about the female minimum age for marriage according to Islam, Mahnoor Sherazee writes about Institution of marriage in Islamic Pakistan with a heading Pakistan's wronged daughters

The institution of marriage is a fairly complex occurrence in one’s life. New beginnings among new people, bringing with it hopes and desires of happy and prosperous years ahead. But what of those who start their ‘new’ lives without understanding what it truly means to be a wife and raise a family?

That is exactly what happened with Raheema, 45, a resident of Azam Basti with her husband Allah Wario who is 20 years her senior.

Raheema, was married off when she was just 12 and had her first child at the tender age of 13. The child didn’t survive due to medical complications and Raheema was bed ridden for almost three months.  But the loss of a child and Raheema’s delicate medical condition was not enough to stop her in-laws from pressuring the young girl in her early teens to conceive soon after.  Raheema’s situation is hardly uncommon.,

explains Head of the Department of Gynaecology at Jinnah Postgraduate Medical Centre (JPMC) Dr Shereen Zulfiqar Bhutta.

well married 12 to a guy who was 20 years senior to her  and had first child at the age of 13.......  That is the puberty rule of Islam these fucking ASSHOLES OF ISLAM SPEAK ALL THE TIME .  that is exactly this idiot you see down here

was talking about in Pakistan  few months back in this news clip  .. http://www.councilofexmuslims.com/index.php?topic=25981.msg738572#msg738572

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

• Previous page 1 2« Previous thread | Next thread »