Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 07:25 AM

New Britain
Today at 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Poll

• Question: Poster of the month!  (Voting closed: May 04, 2016, 11:11 AM)
  • Asbie - 2 (16.7%)
  • Absurdist - 3 (25%)
  • Yeezevee - 5 (41.7%)
  • Zeca - 2 (16.7%)
  • Total Voters: 12

Topic: Poster of the month!

(Read 335670 times)
  • Previous page 1 ... 84 85 8687 88 ... 97 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Poster of the month!
     Reply #2550 - November 06, 2014, 01:31 AM

Congrats Zaotar.   dance

"Befriend them not, Oh murtads, and give them neither parrot nor bunny."  - happymurtad's advice on trolls.
  • Poster of the month!
     Reply #2551 - November 06, 2014, 02:07 AM

well done Zaotar, your posts here are a different class  Afro

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

• Poster of the month!
     Reply #2552 - November 06, 2014, 03:11 AM

Thanks guys!  I appreciate the kind words, and I'm glad people have enjoyed my thoughts on these subjects.  There are a lot of great posters on this website, and I get a lot out of their comments and reactions.

I've actually been out of town for the last few days on a horseback riding trip, so no Interwebz access until today.
  • Poster of the month!
     Reply #2553 - November 06, 2014, 04:44 AM

Congrats Zoatar!

إطلب العلم ولو في الصين

Es sitzt keine Krone so fest und so hoch,
    Der mutige Springer erreicht sie doch.

I don't give a fuck about your war, or your President.
  • Poster of the month!
     Reply #2554 - November 06, 2014, 03:11 PM

Thanks guys!  I appreciate the kind words, and I'm glad people have enjoyed my thoughts on these subjects.  There are a lot of great posters on this website, and I get a lot out of their comments and reactions.

I've actually been out of town for the last few days on a horseback riding trip, so no Interwebz access until today.

Congrats Zaotar - richly deserved  Afro  (Even if I did forget to vote... and even if I was going to vote for Lilly  grin12 Wink)
  • Poster of the month!
     Reply #2555 - November 06, 2014, 03:12 PM

btw is your name after the god - or after the Middle-Eastern spice mix?
  • Poster of the month!
     Reply #2556 - November 06, 2014, 05:28 PM

I actually chose the user name after the type of ancient Iranian sacrificial priest, which is cognate with the Vedic 'hotar' priest.  'Zaotar' literally meaning 'invoker.' As an aside, the beginning of Surah 96 (allegedly the first revelation given to Mohammed) starts with the same concept albeit in Arabic, "INVOKE the name of the Lord," (iq'ra thus being the first revelatory word that Mohammed allegedly received), paralleling the common liturgical Syriac and Judaic phrase, which later Muslims have misinterpreted as meaning just 'Recite' in the name of your Lord. So in that sense, my posting name is a corrected version of how the Qur'an should be understood from the start -- an invocation of the deity, in a liturgical context (aka qeryana), not a recitation.

Zarathustra was allegedly himself a zaotar.  I like the name for a lot of different reasons, one of which is it reminds me of Nietzsche's hilarious idea that since Zarathustra was the first to commit the error of dividing the world into good and evil, he should also be the first to denounce his mistake.

Also, I think Central Asian and Indian culture and civilization deserve much more attention and acclaim than they've historically gotten ... though I myself have no personal connection to Central Asia or India.

For some reason there's no good English webpage on the subject, but this German wiki page gives a good explanation of the zaotar (although it describes it as a Zoroastrian priest, but it is more than that -- it was the broader category of ancient Indo-Iranian priest, and Zoroastrianism just inherited it).

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zaotar
  • Poster of the month!
     Reply #2557 - November 06, 2014, 05:41 PM

I actually chose the user name after the type of ancient Iranian sacrificial priest, which is cognate with the Vedic 'hotar' priest.  'Zaotar' literally meaning 'invoker.' As an aside, the beginning of Surah 96 (allegedly the first revelation given to Mohammed) starts with the same concept albeit in Arabic, "INVOKE the name of the Lord," (iq'ra thus being the first revelatory word that Mohammed allegedly received), paralleling the common liturgical Syriac and Judaic phrase, which later Muslims have misinterpreted as meaning just 'Recite' in the name of your Lord. So in that sense, my posting name is a corrected version of how the Qur'an should be understood from the start -- an invocation of the deity, in a liturgical context (aka qeryana), not a recitation.

I still find it fascinating how words that I for so long recited and regarded as 'divine' are actually not what I thought they were. It's unbalancing, but in an exhilarating way lol
  • Poster of the month!
     Reply #2558 - November 06, 2014, 07:23 PM

Translation of the German wiki for non-Teutonophones:

"Zaotar (Avestisch, Pahlavi Zot, Neupersisch Zut) bezeichnet einen zoroastrischen Priester des höchsten Ranges. Der Zaotar steht in der Priesterhierarchie über den sieben anderen in der Religion Zarathustras existierenden priesterlichen Titeln."

Zoatar (Avestan, Pahlavi Zot, Modern Persian Zut) designates a Zoroastrian priest of the highest level. The Zoatar stands in the priestly hierarchy over the seven other existing priestly titles in the religion of Zarathustra

"Zarathustra selbst wird im Avesta mehrfach und insbesondere in den Yashts als Zaotar bezeichnet. Als Zaotar bezeichnet sich auch Zarathustra in den Gathas. Der Begriff ist etymologisch mit dem Vedischem Hotar verwandt. Das Wort geht auf den avestischen Stamm "Zao" zurück im Sinne der Begriffe "beten, Gebet vortragen bzw. verrichten"."

Zarathustra himself is in the Avesta and particularly in the Yashts is designated multiple times as a Zoatar. Zarathustra describes himself several times in the Gathas as a Zoatar. The term is etymologically related to the Vedic Hotar. The word comes fromm the Avestan stem "Zoa" in the sense of the term "to pray, present a supplication, or perform a prayer.

"Nach Zerfall des Sassanidenreichs und des zoroastrischen Klerus im Iran kam es zu einer Vereinfachung der Hierarchie, welche sich im religiösen Zeremoniell des Yasna in der Ausführung durch zwei Priester, den vorstehenden Zaotar und einen Raspi ausdrückt."

After the fall of the Sassanian Empire and the Zoroastrian clerics in Iran a simplification of the Hierarchy came about,  which turned out in the ceremonial execution of the "Yasna" as two priests, the beforementioned Zoatar and a "Raspi."

إطلب العلم ولو في الصين

• Poster of the month!
     Reply #2559 - December 03, 2014, 06:44 AM

Anybody who wants to bang on about the Zoroastrians or the Sassanians, should just piss off and do it in the relevant thread.  We do have a perfectly good Religion forum here.

And can we have nominations for the POTM. please?   thnkyu

"Befriend them not, Oh murtads, and give them neither parrot nor bunny."  - happymurtad's advice on trolls.
  • Poster of the month!
     Reply #2560 - December 03, 2014, 08:34 AM

lua!

He's no friend to the friendless
    And he's the mother of grief
    There's only sorrow for tomorrow
    Surely life is too brief
  • Poster of the month!
     Reply #2561 - December 03, 2014, 11:25 AM

Cornflower
  • Poster of the month!
     Reply #2562 - December 03, 2014, 01:53 PM

CF for mother of the month  Wink. The Z team of Zaotor and Zeca for all the sources material posted which have provide me something to do for the last week when I can not be sitting up. Abu Ali and doubt seeker for the work on "My Ordeal with the Qur'an". November was a big month from my point of view so I am unable to single out one person.
  • Poster of the month!
     Reply #2563 - December 03, 2014, 10:42 PM

Thank you, Naerys! 001_wub

I'm with you, bogart, there's so many people I think deserve it this month. Zeca's been doing a crazy amount of work, same with Abu Ali, and I'd want to nominate Naerys right back for some of her posts but is it a rule that mods aren't nominated or has one just never been nominated since I got here? Also Cornflower deserves honors like all the time. Ahh! Couldn't choose. Last month was so easy.  wacko
  • Poster of the month!
     Reply #2564 - December 04, 2014, 11:02 PM

Poll open.   parrot

I've put Naerys in there too, its only me who can't be nominated.

• Poster of the month!
     Reply #2565 - December 04, 2014, 11:16 PM

I love you all, but this month my vote belongs to Cornflower

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

• Poster of the month!
     Reply #2566 - December 05, 2014, 12:25 AM

My vote is going to Abu Ali for all his hard work with the translation project.

In my opinion a life without curiosity is not a life worth living
  • Poster of the month!
     Reply #2567 - December 05, 2014, 02:59 AM

It is always so hard to vote. I should skip this, I think it might be a source of stress. Why do y'all have to be so nice that I can hardly decide between you?

Don't let Hitler have the street.
  • Poster of the month!
     Reply #2568 - December 05, 2014, 06:28 PM

Voted for Abu Ali, he has done amazing work.
  • Poster of the month!
     Reply #2569 - December 06, 2014, 02:29 PM

Congratulations, Abu Ali! For this and for finally finishing the translation! dance
  • Poster of the month!
     Reply #2570 - December 06, 2014, 08:25 PM

Yay!! Thanks guys. Oh and sorry Cornflower.

Time for... dancing banana lol

banana dance
  • Poster of the month!
     Reply #2571 - December 07, 2014, 06:33 AM

Congrats Abu Ali!  Afro

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
  • Poster of the month!
     Reply #2572 - December 07, 2014, 10:09 AM

Some of the dance moves of that banana look highly suspect!!
  • Poster of the month!
     Reply #2573 - December 07, 2014, 10:55 AM

Awww yeah! I got one vote!!!

Congrats Abu Smiley

He's no friend to the friendless
    And he's the mother of grief
    There's only sorrow for tomorrow
    Surely life is too brief
  • Poster of the month!
     Reply #2574 - December 07, 2014, 11:08 PM

Congrats Abu Ali! Great work!

إطلب العلم ولو في الصين

• Poster of the month!
     Reply #2575 - December 09, 2014, 10:42 AM

Cheers guys  Afro
  • Poster of the month!
     Reply #2576 - February 02, 2015, 12:39 AM

Nominations time again.   thnkyu

• Poster of the month!
     Reply #2577 - February 02, 2015, 04:08 AM

Let's show musivore some love. He's been really helpful around the forum and he also signal boosted the cause with his really lovely video.  yes
  • Poster of the month!
     Reply #2578 - February 02, 2015, 06:45 PM

Errr, I know I don't deserve to be nominated. But thank you so much lua, you're a sweetheart.

I haven't been around enough to even nominate POTM just yet. Will have a look around and get back on this (lua has made me want to stay and find someone deserving, amongst other things).

Hi
  • Poster of the month!
     Reply #2579 - February 02, 2015, 06:50 PM

You're too humble!
  • Previous page 1 ... 84 85 8687 88 ... 97 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »