Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Today at 08:44 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
Today at 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Today at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Poll

• Question: Your parents would be devastated if you told them you weren't a Muslim anymore, do you:  (Voting closed: November 07, 2008, 09:36 AM)
  • Tell them, best to get it over with. - 4 (40%)
  • Pretend to still be Muslim, for as long as it takes. - 6 (60%)
  • Remain a Muslim for their sake. - 0 (0%)
  • Total Voters: 10

Topic: Religious Parents

(Read 3713 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Religious Parents
     OP - October 31, 2008, 09:36 AM

I know so many people who are in this position of not wanting to upset their parents, which whilst I find it very sweet of them, does it actually help anyone? A lie is a lie and someone's bound to find out and when they do - it will surely be much worse? Yes their religion is important to them, but if they believed they were from the planet Mars, would it also be okay to pretend that you believe them and agree? Are you not perpetuating the insanity of religion by the kid glove treatment? Personally, I find the principle of imposing your beliefs on your children so vile that I cannot sympathise with the parents in this situation, as in, why would it be up to me to tread carefully over their ridiculous beliefs, surely the onus is on them to re-assess, not expect blind following. I understand that tradition and culture are important, but I believe truth to be even more so. Feelings shouldn't be hurt if you can help it (or unless it's Baal you're talking to) but It's not a 'does my bum look big in this' situ, it's a lot more serious and potentially damaging than that. It's a personal truth, a time to stand up moment. No? Yes?

What do you lot reckon? Is there any point in becoming an 'apostate' if you are afraid to tell your parents?

Ha Ha.
  • Re: Religious Parents
     Reply #1 - October 31, 2008, 09:44 AM

When confessing to parents, like everything there is a time and a place.

There may be some very good reasons why one wouldn't, for example how many of the young apostates on this forum are still financially dependent on their parents.

If I were still finacially dependent on my parents I would probably keep quiet until I had got myself a steady job and somewhere to live before dropping any bombshells.
     Reply #2 - October 31, 2008, 10:25 AM

When confessing to parents, like everything there is a time and a place.

There may be some very good reasons why one wouldn't, for example how many of the young apostates on this forum are still financially dependent on their parents.

If I were still finacially dependent on my parents I would probably keep quiet until I had got myself a steady job and somewhere to live before dropping any bombshells.

Yeah, I guess that would make sense Wink. Sometimes religion can work to your advantage!

Ha Ha.
     Reply #3 - October 31, 2008, 10:33 AM

Go the psychological warfare: out-Muslim them until they're begging you to apostasise. They'll be so glad you did then. parrot

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #4 - October 31, 2008, 11:39 AM

As long as you are old enough to move on and move out I would always recommend standing your ground and being honest.

It is easier said than done, but when it's done you feel better (even if you feel bad about it).

Inhale the good shit, exhale the bullshit.
     Reply #5 - November 02, 2008, 12:01 AM

With my upbringing, god was always an optional extra. I can never get my mind around that it is such a big deal. That it is, is beyond question.

Oh well, different folks, different strokes.

Reply #6 - November 02, 2008, 11:46 AM

I know so many people who are in this position of not wanting to upset their parents, which whilst I find it very sweet of them, does it actually help anyone? A lie is a lie and someone's bound to find out and when they do - it will surely be much worse? Yes their religion is important to them, but if they believed they were from the planet Mars, would it also be okay to pretend that you believe them and agree? Are you not perpetuating the insanity of religion by the kid glove treatment? Personally, I find the principle of imposing your beliefs on your children so vile that I cannot sympathise with the parents in this situation, as in, why would it be up to me to tread carefully over their ridiculous beliefs, surely the onus is on them to re-assess, not expect blind following. I understand that tradition and culture are important, but I believe truth to be even more so. Feelings shouldn't be hurt if you can help it (or unless it's Baal you're talking to) but It's not a 'does my bum look big in this' situ, it's a lot more serious and potentially damaging than that. It's a personal truth, a time to stand up moment. No? Yes?

What do you lot reckon? Is there any point in becoming an 'apostate' if you are afraid to tell your parents?

How old were you when you apostatised and how did your parents take it ?

Like a compass needle that points north, a man?s accusing finger always finds a woman. Always.

Khaled Hosseini - A thousand splendid suns.
     Reply #7 - November 02, 2008, 05:26 PM

How old were you when you apostatised and how did your parents take it ?

I never officially 'apsostasised' I just grew up as the black sheep anyway, so my parents just assumed I wasn't interested, rightly Smiley If I had been like other members of my family, practising muslims, they would, or my dad would, have been not so much upset as affronted. He enjoyed the mental manipulation of it, but would never have sunk as low as to say he would disown. But then, that's exactly what my sister and her husband did to their daughter,

Ha Ha.
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »