Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Recent Posts

Funny/Cool/Interesting me...
Today at 12:33 AM

Hi! :)
Yesterday at 10:44 PM

Struggleing ex muslim
Yesterday at 10:37 PM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Yesterday at 10:06 PM

What you think Arif Ahmed...
Yesterday at 08:58 PM

Discussion about "My Orde...
Yesterday at 08:57 PM

My Ordeal With The Quran ...
Yesterday at 08:53 PM

How to point out problems...
by lua
Yesterday at 08:17 PM

Ancient arabic zodiac dis...
by moi
Yesterday at 11:41 AM

"Barbaric", underdevelope...
Yesterday at 11:29 AM

Daisy Chain
Yesterday at 09:10 AM

Gay & Brown (and they sho...
Yesterday at 12:55 AM

Donations

Kitty is lost

Theme Changer

Poll

• Question: Poster of the month!  (Voting closed: November 05, 2014, 12:47 AM)
  • Lilyesque - 3 (42.9%)
  • Zaotar - 4 (57.1%)
  • Total Voters: 7

Topic: Poster of the month!

(Read 121151 times)
  • Previous page 1 ... 84 85 86« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Poster of the month!
     Reply #2550 - November 05, 2014, 10:34 AM

Congrats, Zaotar!

يا مواطن يا مسكين
    ضحكوا عليك باسم الدين
  • Poster of the month!
     Reply #2551 - November 05, 2014, 04:54 PM

Bittersweet moment for me because I love both posters, and it seems my vote could have swung it either way :(

We may have to rename this thread 'History of Syriac Posters' to get Zaotar to notice he's won. And since we're not going to do that, I think I'm safe for once in letting my love for him loose, without being completely embarrassed afterwards, after I calm down from my orgasm of brotherly love...

I love this guy so much. I get more from reading his posts than I have from most books I have chosen to read in the past decade. I can read, re-read and marvel at his posts for days. I know this because I have done it. They are so well written that even a layman like me can learn from them. They are so well-researched that I know I can completely trust them. His judgement and assimilation of information is second-to-none, and I have no doubt that if I set myself on a course to learn more about early Islam and Christianity, and devoted every waking hour to the cause, even after several years of meticulous research I would learn less than I have in just a few weeks of reading what he has written on this forum. 

Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge with us Zaotar. As Jedi said recently, you do all the hard work, so we don't have to. And I'm grateful that you chanced upon us. Long may you live, and long may you hang around here.

Hi
  • Poster of the month!
     Reply #2552 - November 05, 2014, 05:01 PM

Shit, just realised that the poll is still open, and I said all of that  whistling2

Talk about premature ejaculation. That problem has haunted me since my teenage days  Roll Eyes

Hi
  • Poster of the month!
     Reply #2553 - November 05, 2014, 05:04 PM

It looks closed to me, musivore?

Cheesy I was totally thinking this morning that he might never even notice that he's won. He doesn't much tamper with the social aspects of the forum, and he doesn't seem to post every single month (?), so the month might go by without.

Zaotaaaar! Get in here! Acknowledge our love! Grin

Edit: Oh, he posts way more often than I've been seeing. How have I been missing these threads?

يا مواطن يا مسكين
    ضحكوا عليك باسم الدين
  • Poster of the month!
     Reply #2554 - November 05, 2014, 05:26 PM

For musivore - the collected posts of Zaotar: http://www.councilofexmuslims.com/index.php?action=profile;u=6872;sa=showPosts
  • Poster of the month!
     Reply #2555 - November 05, 2014, 05:28 PM

So it is lua. That's a relief.

He's one of the few people that would be little affected, even if he did know lua?

Hi
  • Poster of the month!
     Reply #2556 - November 05, 2014, 05:34 PM

Thanks Zeca, but I already have that bookmarked. I have read them all, chronologically backwards (as that is how they appear on that list).

I sometimes feel bad for not acknowledging the good work that you and others do here also. My love for Zaotar seems to take over, and my heart forces me to comment only on him.

Hi
  • Poster of the month!
     Reply #2557 - November 05, 2014, 05:35 PM

He's one of the few people that would be little affected, even if he did know lua?

Yeah, probably, but it never hurts to know you're appreciated, and Zaotar definitely is!

يا مواطن يا مسكين
    ضحكوا عليك باسم الدين
  • Poster of the month!
     Reply #2558 - November 05, 2014, 05:45 PM

Thanks Zeca, but I already have that bookmarked. I have read them all, chronologically backwards (as that is how they appear on that list).

I sometimes feel bad for not acknowledging the good work that you and others do here also. My love for Zaotar seems to take over, and my heart forces me to comment only on him.

You were that irrationally happy person in school weren't you musivore?  Cheesy

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett
  • Poster of the month!
     Reply #2559 - November 05, 2014, 06:07 PM

I have that side also mate

Hi
  • Poster of the month!
     Reply #2560 - November 05, 2014, 09:13 PM

Shit I forgot to vote. lol

Hell is an absurd & wicked fiction. You're not a bad person for rejecting something that's cruel, irrational, unjust & lacks evidence. You have nothing to fear. Nothing to feel ashamed about. Enjoy your life. Do the best you can. Make yourself & others happy.
  • Poster of the month!
     Reply #2561 - November 05, 2014, 09:14 PM

been so busy lately...

Hell is an absurd & wicked fiction. You're not a bad person for rejecting something that's cruel, irrational, unjust & lacks evidence. You have nothing to fear. Nothing to feel ashamed about. Enjoy your life. Do the best you can. Make yourself & others happy.
  • Poster of the month!
     Reply #2562 - November 05, 2014, 09:14 PM

Voting is haram anyway

Danish Never-Moose adopted by the kind people on the CEMB-forum
    Ex-Muslim chat (Unaffliated with CEMB). Safari users: Use "#ex-muslims" as the channel name. CEMB chat thread[/url.
  • Poster of the month!
     Reply #2563 - November 06, 2014, 01:31 AM

Congrats Zaotar.   dance

"Befriend them not, Oh murtads, and give them neither parrot nor bunny."  - happymurtad's advice on trolls.
  • Poster of the month!
     Reply #2564 - November 06, 2014, 02:07 AM

well done Zaotar, your posts here are a different class  Afro

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

• Poster of the month!
     Reply #2565 - November 06, 2014, 03:11 AM

Thanks guys!  I appreciate the kind words, and I'm glad people have enjoyed my thoughts on these subjects.  There are a lot of great posters on this website, and I get a lot out of their comments and reactions.

I've actually been out of town for the last few days on a horseback riding trip, so no Interwebz access until today.
  • Poster of the month!
     Reply #2566 - November 06, 2014, 04:44 AM

Congrats Zoatar!

إطلب العلم ولو في الصين

Es sitzt keine Krone so fest und so hoch,
    Der mutige Springer erreicht sie doch.

I don't give a fuck about your war, or your President.
  • Poster of the month!
     Reply #2567 - November 06, 2014, 03:11 PM

Thanks guys!  I appreciate the kind words, and I'm glad people have enjoyed my thoughts on these subjects.  There are a lot of great posters on this website, and I get a lot out of their comments and reactions.

I've actually been out of town for the last few days on a horseback riding trip, so no Interwebz access until today.

Congrats Zaotar - richly deserved  Afro  (Even if I did forget to vote... and even if I was going to vote for Lilly  grin12 Wink)

• Poster of the month!
     Reply #2568 - November 06, 2014, 03:12 PM

btw is your name after the god - or after the Middle-Eastern spice mix?

• Poster of the month!
     Reply #2569 - November 06, 2014, 05:28 PM

I actually chose the user name after the type of ancient Iranian sacrificial priest, which is cognate with the Vedic 'hotar' priest.  'Zaotar' literally meaning 'invoker.' As an aside, the beginning of Surah 96 (allegedly the first revelation given to Mohammed) starts with the same concept albeit in Arabic, "INVOKE the name of the Lord," (iq'ra thus being the first revelatory word that Mohammed allegedly received), paralleling the common liturgical Syriac and Judaic phrase, which later Muslims have misinterpreted as meaning just 'Recite' in the name of your Lord. So in that sense, my posting name is a corrected version of how the Qur'an should be understood from the start -- an invocation of the deity, in a liturgical context (aka qeryana), not a recitation.

Zarathustra was allegedly himself a zaotar.  I like the name for a lot of different reasons, one of which is it reminds me of Nietzsche's hilarious idea that since Zarathustra was the first to commit the error of dividing the world into good and evil, he should also be the first to denounce his mistake.

Also, I think Central Asian and Indian culture and civilization deserve much more attention and acclaim than they've historically gotten ... though I myself have no personal connection to Central Asia or India.

For some reason there's no good English webpage on the subject, but this German wiki page gives a good explanation of the zaotar (although it describes it as a Zoroastrian priest, but it is more than that -- it was the broader category of ancient Indo-Iranian priest, and Zoroastrianism just inherited it).

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zaotar
  • Poster of the month!
     Reply #2570 - November 06, 2014, 05:41 PM

I actually chose the user name after the type of ancient Iranian sacrificial priest, which is cognate with the Vedic 'hotar' priest.  'Zaotar' literally meaning 'invoker.' As an aside, the beginning of Surah 96 (allegedly the first revelation given to Mohammed) starts with the same concept albeit in Arabic, "INVOKE the name of the Lord," (iq'ra thus being the first revelatory word that Mohammed allegedly received), paralleling the common liturgical Syriac and Judaic phrase, which later Muslims have misinterpreted as meaning just 'Recite' in the name of your Lord. So in that sense, my posting name is a corrected version of how the Qur'an should be understood from the start -- an invocation of the deity, in a liturgical context (aka qeryana), not a recitation.

I still find it fascinating how words that I for so long recited and regarded as 'divine' are actually not what I thought they were. It's unbalancing, but in an exhilarating way lol

• Poster of the month!
     Reply #2571 - November 06, 2014, 07:23 PM

Translation of the German wiki for non-Teutonophones:

"Zaotar (Avestisch, Pahlavi Zot, Neupersisch Zut) bezeichnet einen zoroastrischen Priester des höchsten Ranges. Der Zaotar steht in der Priesterhierarchie über den sieben anderen in der Religion Zarathustras existierenden priesterlichen Titeln."

Zoatar (Avestan, Pahlavi Zot, Modern Persian Zut) designates a Zoroastrian priest of the highest level. The Zoatar stands in the priestly hierarchy over the seven other existing priestly titles in the religion of Zarathustra

"Zarathustra selbst wird im Avesta mehrfach und insbesondere in den Yashts als Zaotar bezeichnet. Als Zaotar bezeichnet sich auch Zarathustra in den Gathas. Der Begriff ist etymologisch mit dem Vedischem Hotar verwandt. Das Wort geht auf den avestischen Stamm "Zao" zurück im Sinne der Begriffe "beten, Gebet vortragen bzw. verrichten"."

Zarathustra himself is in the Avesta and particularly in the Yashts is designated multiple times as a Zoatar. Zarathustra describes himself several times in the Gathas as a Zoatar. The term is etymologically related to the Vedic Hotar. The word comes fromm the Avestan stem "Zoa" in the sense of the term "to pray, present a supplication, or perform a prayer.

"Nach Zerfall des Sassanidenreichs und des zoroastrischen Klerus im Iran kam es zu einer Vereinfachung der Hierarchie, welche sich im religiösen Zeremoniell des Yasna in der Ausführung durch zwei Priester, den vorstehenden Zaotar und einen Raspi ausdrückt."

After the fall of the Sassanian Empire and the Zoroastrian clerics in Iran a simplification of the Hierarchy came about,  which turned out in the ceremonial execution of the "Yasna" as two priests, the beforementioned Zoatar and a "Raspi."

إطلب العلم ولو في الصين

Es sitzt keine Krone so fest und so hoch,
    Der mutige Springer erreicht sie doch.

I don't give a fuck about your war, or your President.
  • Previous page 1 ... 84 85 86« Previous thread | Next thread »