Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Today at 07:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Today at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Today at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: How much time you waisted....

(Read 2088 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • How much time you waisted....
     OP - March 18, 2017, 09:20 PM

How much time you waisted reading the quran when you were ex-muslim?? For me, I had to read that darn f**king thing for about 20 min a day   finmad   

Hell my friends, who are now ex-muslims, said that they use to read about 2 hours of quran everyday.  And they weren't even hafizis, whom I was told read about 5-7 hours a day. I was skeptical with the amount that the hafizes read as well as the amount that my friends read.  But hey if those things are true then shit that's pretty crazy. Speaking about crazy have any of you guys read baqarah? Like in one day?! Because that happened to me once and that took like aaaagggeesss to read lol. I remember when I was forced to  read it one time in front of  imam. it took me like 4-6 hours to read it. I was glad it was only a one time thing though. I'm even more glad I don't have to read the book at all again.  Anyways sorry for getting off track. How much time did you guys waste reading the quran? Was it like 1-2 hours? Less or more? Were you a hafiz that had to read like 7-8hours a day? Or were you just a regular muslim but read quran like there's no tomorrow? Shit I almost forgot. What about katums? How much time you waisted doing those things? Personally I only did like twice and it took like a year or so read it. Man they were dreadful though.

PS: Also if anyone was wondering why I aasked this question its because that I've always heard but never have I witnessed, muslims reading a lot of quran. Because I thought I read a lot (20 min/daily), but compared to others I haven't.  So Im asking here to drive any doubts away on how much does a muslim, super religious or not, wastes their time reading the quran. Thx
     Reply #1 - March 18, 2017, 10:14 PM

2-3 hours every day until the age of 16 where I finally had the balls to say to my Dad that I don't want to go to the Masjid, using a half truth of having to revise for school exams. He probably would've spent money into my early adulthood if he wanted to as he was that obsessed with me being a good Hafiz Muslim (not that he knew much about the Quran theologically. I've never seen him personally read the thing but insisted I was to learn it, insisting it was a privilege that I was to learn it that he never had as a kid).

And you know what? I never came close to reciting the entire Quran. And I started young as well. I felt constant shame given that you're told that on average it takes a kid 3 years to learn it. A lot of kids around me did go much farther than me into to learning the Quran by heart, some managed to be successful at that as well as doing well at school, which brought another level of shame on me (though I assume their parents were much more gentile and explanatory about it than mine given that I was told to learn it for the sake of improving my family's image).

Some of my darkest days as a child were during Hafiz classes where the Maulanas would often beat you with long pipes. It's annoying how much money was wasted to get me to learn the Quran. I mean we're a relatively poor family but there would be enough money set for me to go to the mosque every single day. I wish that money could've gone to things like PlayStations as a kid, wouldn't have felt left out as a kid back then.

I mean being forced to learn a book in a language that you can't understand was always bothersome in the back of my mind. It angers me even more now thinking back.
     Reply #2 - March 19, 2017, 10:49 PM

2-3 hours a day is just crazy. I would've gone mad. what a total waste of time.

Reply #3 - March 20, 2017, 09:05 AM

Yeah. When it was to go home after school, all my friends and fellow classmates looked so happy to rush home after a long day (and they were from a Muslim background too). I often dreaded when 3:30pm arrived where I'd be rushed home to quickly change and prepare for the Masjid for my daily beatings as I hadn't bothered to learn the previous night. A lot of my Muslim school friends were from a different, less rigid sect. I always looked at them as the 'cool Muslims' lol.

There's this assumption with a lot of Quran teachers that beating the kids will 'encourage' them to learn. On the contrary I felt terrorised at times. I wanted to be a good Hifz Muslim but subconsciously, in the back of my mind I would rather take the beatings than be forced to learn something at the hand of a stick.
     Reply #4 - March 20, 2017, 09:49 AM

I try to look at the bright side. Memorizing the Quran helped me improve my memory, in particular my photographic/visual memory. At some point I remember my ex insisting that a part of my memorization routine, I had to write down from memory the Quranic text exactly like it looked like in my mushaf.  Even though he barely had memorized half of juzz amma (thinking about your dad, Coolester). Anyway, I did, and it helped with my memorization. Not sure it is due to all those years of reading the Quran, but now I usually tend to look into my very good visual memory when I try to remember things such as a text I've been reading, numbers, and so on.

"The healthiest people I know are those who are the first to label themselves fucked up." - three
     Reply #5 - March 20, 2017, 10:39 AM

A lot, is the answer...I know the Bible better but I know the Quran fairly well. I even did ghostwriting of three books on the early history of Islam for a popular British mullah. For me, there was the added complication of not being allowed to go to school when I was a kid and not getting any accurate textbooks. I was a very smart kid, always asking questions, and when I was given a holy book and told "all the answers are in this book" I was like "sweet, I have lots of questions! Better start reading." Took a while but I eventually realized I had more questions than the book had answers, and at that point you can either say "Allahu alam" or you can say "lemme ask someone else".

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for I have a sonic screwdriver, a tricorder, and a Type 2 phaser.
     Reply #6 - March 20, 2017, 03:36 PM

I hated going to the mosque to learn after school. I've seen how parents are about it. Its like regular school psshh thats nothing, go learn Quran, no you can't be tired. I had to go to regular classes until I was about 20...... It was so annoying. I actually got out of going because I wanted to learn to drive and oddly enough my dad always encouraged it. So the money he saved went on my driving lessons. My dad would still tell us to read Quran though, but I ignored him. I wasn't about to be made to feel bad for not reading some old book. I used to think there was something wrong with me because I grew to hate the Quran, and hearing the adhan.

Teachers would tell us off or hit us on the hands with a biro pen for mistakes or not learning fast enough. I would have problems memorising anything though, I hate the word memorise.

I would get upset and say how much I hated going. One place was very Asian dominated and they would even sometimes talk to the class in Urdu. I'd come home and complain to my parents. Where I lived Asians were the biggest minority. Arabs? Not many of them. Asians would make us feel like we were nothing, especially at school. I only had the odd few Asian friends. The open minded ones I called them.
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »