Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

New Britain
Today at 12:05 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 14, 2024, 05:54 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Extremely British Muslim on Channel 4 10pm uk

(Read 6010 times)
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Extremely British Muslim on Channel 4 10pm uk
     OP - March 02, 2017, 10:06 PM

its on now.
     Reply #1 - March 02, 2017, 10:21 PM

I am so so lucky I haven't been pushed into marriage by my parents lol. Surprised they've never pushed me given they're so controlling in every other aspect. Romance after marriage, where's the logic in that?
     Reply #2 - March 03, 2017, 12:29 AM

you do hear of a lot of divorces amongst young muslims these days. I think a lot of them get married too early for various reasons.

Romance after marriage can happen I think. It just depends on the environment you've been brought up in I guess.
     Reply #3 - March 03, 2017, 12:39 AM

Well, one is leaving a lot to chance whatever the environment they're in IMO.
     Reply #4 - March 03, 2017, 12:52 AM

I agree and personally I wouldn't go for an arranged marriage myself. I'm thinking of places like india and Pakistan where often there is no alternative. Its the norm for them.
     Reply #5 - March 03, 2017, 01:02 AM

Yeah, I mean my parents got together in an arranged marriage in Pakistan. It shows given that they merely tolerate each other. Whatever concept of love I define now, I never discovered it through my parents.
     Reply #6 - March 09, 2017, 10:55 PM

These community elders are so out of their depth lol.
     Reply #7 - March 10, 2017, 04:30 PM

I am so so lucky I haven't been pushed into marriage by my parents lol. Surprised they've never pushed me given they're so controlling in every other aspect. Romance after marriage, where's the logic in that?

I was never pushed into marriage either, because my dad wanted me at home forever. He had this obsession that all his children would stay at home or in the same town. It was never going to happen since there's pretty much no jobs up there.

I thought the guy in the first episode who met one of the ladies looking for marriage in a restaurant, was so old fashioned it was painful. He was saying the mum is more important than the dad, he did'nt want to be a 'man dad', he wanted his wife to have dinner ready for him, and on top of that, live with his family. There's so many just like him I honestly wonder how they ever get married.
     Reply #8 - March 11, 2017, 07:04 PM

I was never pushed into marriage either, because my dad wanted me at home forever. He had this obsession that all his children would stay at home or in the same town. It was never going to happen since there's pretty much no jobs up there.

I thought the guy in the first episode who met one of the ladies looking for marriage in a restaurant, was so old fashioned it was painful. He was saying the mum is more important than the dad, he did'nt want to be a 'man dad', he wanted his wife to have dinner ready for him, and on top of that, live with his family. There's so many just like him I honestly wonder how they ever get married.

Or why so many divorces happen in the first place if marriage for a woman is based around servitude and cooking a nice meal for your husband. I saw some people reacting to that first episode with amusement and especially that moment in the restaurant but I saw it as tragic.
     Reply #9 - March 11, 2017, 08:27 PM

Except the Western Divorce rate is closer to 50% so not sure the whole love and equality thing is working out well for them.

Not sure what the problem is with women doing the cooking, they need to take pride in it.

Women these days have some major issues. Just look at that girl who was 23 and asked the guy "Would you be ok if I went on a girls holiday in Ibitha"

WTF. A wifes job is to run a nice home and look after the family, not go wasting time in shitholes like Ibitha.

Reply #10 - March 11, 2017, 11:17 PM

Good luck with that. Misogynist much, or just on weekends?

Don't let Hitler have the street.
     Reply #11 - March 11, 2017, 11:24 PM

Except the Western Divorce rate is closer to 50% so not sure the whole love and equality thing is working out well for them.

Not sure what the problem is with women doing the cooking, they need to take pride in it.

Women these days have some major issues. Just look at that girl who was 23 and asked the guy "Would you be ok if I went on a girls holiday in Ibitha"

WTF. A wifes job is to run a nice home and look after the family, not go wasting time in shitholes like Ibitha.

Ibiza is a shithole, but everything else you have said is complete nonsense.

I love to cook, I love to bake and I to take pride in the condition of my home. But the man has to pull his weight equally; marriage isn't slavery or servitude, I am no one's maid.

Western divorce rates are much higher now, yes. But that is mainly due to the fact that people are now more willing to admit that they are unhappy in their marriages instead of remaining trapped and putting up with someone who they cannot stand. Moreover, women have more choice now, and many of us are not attracted to slobbish men who we have to clean up after all the time and are incapable of the basic skill of feeding themselves.
     Reply #12 - March 11, 2017, 11:47 PM

Ibiza is only a shithole because of the British (and other) filth that visit it.

Aside from the drinking, girls who go there only to get dicked down and the guys who provide the dickings, it's a picturesque place.

My mind runs, I can never catch it even if I get a head start.
     Reply #13 - March 12, 2017, 12:10 AM

Or why so many divorces happen in the first place if marriage for a woman is based around servitude and cooking a nice meal for your husband. I saw some people reacting to that first episode with amusement and especially that moment in the restaurant but I saw it as tragic.

Yeh I thought it was sad tbh. I like how the woman spoke up for herself, but it won't make him change. He will just keep looking for a woman who will do what he wants.

I know a few Muslims who have got divorced, but I was always told Muslim marriages last longer, the men are committed etc. But its not true. Any marriage can fail for whatever reason. Why is it a competition? Also I saw a few friends of mine go through bad marriages when their dads pretty much saw it was doomed but didn't bother reporting this back to their daughters. One of my friends nearly married her cousin, she had been married once previously and had a son. Her condition was her son stays with her. My friend's mum overheard that they were going to send her son to live with his grandparents, but my friend's dad was trying to hide this fact. What a man. Literally none of these parents have their childrens' best interests at heart, and its more like hurry up and get married so people don't talk.

Why is it ONLY the wife's job to run the home? My boyfriend and I plan on running a dual income home when we are permanently living together. So if I'm at work how can I run the home? Its a joint thing and always should be.

Forcing someone to do anything won't come out well for anyone. I cook for me and my boyfriend. But if he was mean and demanding food, I would not do it, and I'd be unhappy.
     Reply #14 - March 13, 2017, 11:18 PM

These community elders are so out of their depth lol.

yeah I had to smile when one of the elders was going on about how 'hi fi' was causing problems with the kids. I wasn't able to see the whole episode properly but from the little I did see, it was grim.

Reply #15 - March 14, 2017, 10:55 PM

Ibiza is only a shithole because of the British (and other) filth that visit it.

Aside from the drinking, girls who go there only to get dicked down and the guys who provide the dickings, it's a picturesque place.

LOL Brits behave terribly when visiting or living in other countries, it's embarrassing. But I hear many complaints here about badly behaved foreigners and immigrants. At least most of those foreigners learn to speak English and aren't so entitled that they go to other countries and expect everyone to speak their language.
     Reply #16 - March 15, 2017, 02:47 PM

yeah I had to smile when one of the elders was going on about how 'hi fi' was causing problems with the kids. I wasn't able to see the whole episode properly but from the little I did see, it was grim.

It's annoying how we as Muslim kids were often told to unquestionably respect your elders (or at least I was). And we're supposed to take advice with regards to intimate matters such as marriage, relationships and sex from these old guys who come from a completely different background. It's no surprise the 'marriage bureau' thing in the first episode was a disaster. As a random point of interest I recently realised that I recognised one of the men on the Sharia panel in the first episode who's the Dad of my brother's friend of ages ago.

I love to cook, I love to bake and I to take pride in the condition of my home. But the man has to pull his weight equally; marriage isn't slavery or servitude, I am no one's maid.

Yeah. And I think we should be moving past these extremely rigid roles that we ascribe to men and women, husbands and wives etc.  That the 'man of the house' has to do such and such and the wife has to fulfil her own quota. Out of date thinking in a progressive Western society. Then you have homosexual couples. I mean what are gay men to do if we still have to follow a certain rigid view that women do the cooking lol.

LOL Brits behave terribly when visiting or living in other countries, it's embarrassing. But I hear many complaints here about badly behaved foreigners and immigrants. At least most of those foreigners learn to speak English and aren't so entitled that they go to other countries and expect everyone to speak their language.

Yeah, they call themselves expats when moving to the south of France or Spain lol.
     Reply #17 - March 15, 2017, 09:40 PM

The elders never get with the times though. It was proof enough their system doesn't work when they called one guy, and he said he had got married. Made me think his marriage CV was just there gathering dust in the office. They could at least have it on a computer? Found it funny it was still all on paper, old fashioned style.

It's not just that they're old, we had younger imams in our mosques, but they had grown up in another country then come over here. It's just another problem. They didn't engage with the young people because they had nothing in common. The imam at our mosque used to spread people's personal problems around as well. My dad knew lots of things he shouldn't have known, because the imam told him. One thing was something the police should have been told about, but it was kept in the community. So annoying.
     Reply #18 - March 16, 2017, 03:28 PM

Yeah. And I think we should be moving past these extremely rigid roles that we ascribe to men and women, husbands and wives etc.  That the 'man of the house' has to do such and such and the wife has to fulfil her own quota. Out of date thinking in a progressive Western society. Then you have homosexual couples. I mean what are gay men to do if we still have to follow a certain rigid view that women do the cooking lol.

Yeah, they call themselves expats when moving to the south of France or Spain lol.

Too true, even if I was with someone who wasn't very good at making meals, I wouldn't mind doing most of the cooking as long as he was making proper contributions to managing the home, like cleaning and doing little fixes here and there.

For me it's a dealbreaker when a guy does not keep his personal space clean. That's because if things went far enough for us to start living together, I would either end up having to clean up after him all the time or resign myself to living in a dump. I refuse to give up my current standards of cleanliness for something worse.

"Expats", lol. "Immigrant" is a dirty word here, so they wouldn't start using it to describe themselves Tongue
     Reply #19 - March 16, 2017, 04:01 PM

It's annoying how we as Muslim kids were often told to unquestionably respect your elders (or at least I was). And we're supposed to take advice with regards to intimate matters such as marriage, relationships and sex from these old guys who come from a completely different background. It's no surprise the 'marriage bureau' thing in the first episode was a disaster. As a random point of interest I recently realised that I recognised one of the men on the Sharia panel in the first episode who's the Dad of my brother's friend of ages ago.

Yeah we were told to respect the elders and not to question them. In reality the elders had no answers most of the time. especially when it came to religion. They were running scared.

The marriage bureau was more vicar of Dibley lol. And the divorce file was huge!

They mean well but they are incredibly out of touch with the young.

Reply #20 - March 16, 2017, 04:11 PM

So true!
     Reply #21 - March 16, 2017, 04:35 PM

Here's a documentary on love, marriage and finding a bride jewish style.

lots of similarities to muslims.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0I00Em_R2uU
     Reply #22 - March 16, 2017, 10:10 PM

Jewish weddings seem so much more jovial than Muslim ones.
     Reply #23 - March 17, 2017, 08:43 AM

That convert in the last episode was pretty hardcore. My parents forced me to pray for Friday Jummah, this guy makes his kids get up every single morning. As
     Reply #24 - March 17, 2017, 02:11 PM

Bored with all these programs about muslims on C4
     Reply #25 - March 18, 2017, 12:35 PM

So true!

British "expats" integrating well into Spanish society  Cheesy

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/video/2017/mar/16/british-expats-in-spain-count-the-costa-brexit-video
     Reply #26 - March 18, 2017, 01:20 PM

good find girl!

''The british are never foreigners wherever they go''

lol. well, now we know. Smiley

and I can't believe the man in the blue shirt voted brexit.
     Reply #27 - March 18, 2017, 01:35 PM

That convert in the last episode was pretty hardcore. My parents forced me to pray for Friday Jummah, this guy makes his kids get up every single morning. As

I was mad at him and sad for him at the same time. he's intentions were good but the path he's chosen is too rigid. and to force it on the kids is just wrong.
     Reply #28 - March 18, 2017, 01:44 PM

Jewish weddings seem so much more jovial than Muslim ones.

Jews tend to have a better sense of humour generally I think. (compared to us lot anyway)

Asian weddings can be fun too - if you allow music and dance.
     Reply #29 - March 18, 2017, 08:52 PM

I was mad at him and sad for him at the same time. he's intentions were good but the path he's chosen is too rigid. and to force it on the kids is just wrong.

I've never liked parents who were obsessed with discipline, religious or not. With Islamic upbringings it's especially difficult given there are so many rituals and disciplines in the religion you're supposed to follow. The faces on the poor kids said it all when they were woken up lol.
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »