Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 05:47 AM

New Britain
April 16, 2024, 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Greetings from Brooklyn

(Read 2521 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Greetings from Brooklyn
     OP - February 21, 2017, 05:06 PM

Hello,

I am pleased to meet this group which I learned about from viewing one of 'The Big Questions' shows on youtube recently.
    I live in Brooklyn New York, am 68 years old, hold dual British and American citizenship, believe passionately in God, love the moderate Muslim people
    I've met, am not a Muslim myself, am studying history of Islam, and am afraid of Islamism.

I will look at the posting threads on the forum and chime in if I feel I have anything of value to add.

I don't know how many US members are here, but if there is interest in the US / Muslim aspect of the situation I will be pleased to share whatever I know.

I am interested to learn how members of this group believe Islam in the UK (and W Europe) will change / develop.  There is so much deep pessimism I am very worried for the future.  On the other hand - will Islam in the West absorb some of the openness and tolerance of the host societies.  Interested to hear opinions.

Yours,  Unifier.

Reply #1 - February 22, 2017, 01:52 AM

Welcome to the forum Unifier. Have a rabbit!  bunny

I myself am an American. There have been/are a fair few of us on here, so I think there's certainly interest in Islam in America. For one I think that American Muslims tend to be more liberal/assimilated than those in Europe, probably due to America's history as a nation of immigrants.

Anyway, look forward to hearing your contributions, and hope you enjoy it here!  Afro

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #2 - February 22, 2017, 02:25 AM

Welcome!
    I am in America, too. Islam was more moderate forty, fifty, sixty years ago- until tons of money was thrown at a narrower sect and they, in turn, sent their sheikhs all over the world to teach their strict and intolerant version of the faith. It could be undergoing a swing back towards tolerance right now. Most have seen where conservative Islam and fanatical Islam leads to on the evening news and are repelled by it. I would guess progressive Islam is going to continue rapidly expanding, nurtured by the Western communities. But this is my opinion, not anything I have seen data regarding. I would be interested to see if there are cultural predictions on such things.

Don't let Hitler have the street.
     Reply #3 - February 22, 2017, 03:19 AM

Hello there. Speaking from a mainly British point of view (I can't speak for other European countries), yes Muslims here have struggled more to integrate. The irony being that it's the children of Muslim immigrants who have become more conservative. I feel so sad when I hear statistics like around 50% of British Muslims believe homosexuality should be illegal or that 30% have some sympathy for so called Islamic State. At the same time British Muslims identify with the state (as in the United Kingdom) more than white Britons (who tend to see themselves as English, Welsh etc above all else). So on that front there's some encouraging news. I mean it's a very complex picture.
     Reply #4 - February 26, 2017, 11:39 PM

Thank you Asbie, Three and Ward_End.  I was just told there is EXMNA (Ex Muslims of North America) in the U.S.  My own perspective is I hate to see anyone lose God, so I hope Ex-Muslims on these sites feel they can still have a relationship with God.

Re: liberalizing Islam in the West - the US is a country based on ideas.  You accept the Constitution you can be a bona fide American.  The European countries have been until very recently Ethnicity based countries ... albeit with some 'tribal' divisions.   Multi-culturalism is in my view a band aid, that will one day be replaced by deeper unity of all the peoples of Europe - old and new.  Long to see that day come.

Reply #5 - February 27, 2017, 03:08 PM

Welcome to the forum Unifier (I like your name).

Would like to visit Brooklyn sometime as I know it's famous for giving birth to many famous hip hop artists there  (but I'm guessing you are not a fan lol)

"I'm standing here like an asshole holding my Charles Dickens"

"No theory,No ready made system,no book that has ever been written to save the world. i cleave to no system.."-Bakunin
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »