Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 07:25 AM

New Britain
Today at 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Tamazight-speakers in Morocco: still trying

(Read 1545 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Tamazight-speakers in Morocco: still trying
     OP - February 18, 2017, 09:57 PM

Morocco is fascinating. I think a Berber Islam is asserting itself, maybe other ethnic islams are around the world?

If Islam is worldwide it doesn't have to be Arab based.

https://www.moroccoworldnews.com/2017/02/207505/moroccos-high-religious-committee-says-apostates-should-not-be-killed/

the Tamazight community (narrowly berber-speaking, as opposed to the Amazigh people) in Morocco still has problems, especially when the women must go to court where they don't speak any form of Arabic or even French:
    https://www.moroccoworldnews.com/2017/02/208681/crackdown-on-amazigh-people-is-ongoing-ilyass-el-omari/

But at least they're talking about it.

I would love to go back to Algeria, but unfortunately it is still ruled by Bouteflika and not by the king of Morocco. Bouteflika only thinks he's king.
     Reply #1 - February 18, 2017, 10:54 PM

Is your reason for not going back about the safety of travelling there? I did wonder about going to Algeria after visiting Tunisia a few years ago.
     Reply #2 - February 19, 2017, 09:51 PM

Safety is an issue but I think it's more angst over what language to (re)learn. We were in Algiers with road-trips to Tuareg and Kabylie territory. Do I brush up my French, relearn Dardja (this would be really hard, I haven't heard any since I was four), go pidgin classical-Arabic/ French (LOL, good luck with that), pick a tamazight dialect...?
     Reply #3 - February 19, 2017, 10:04 PM

In Tunisia I wished by French was better, so I guess that would be my choice. Travelling with classical Arabic sounds a bit like trying to get by with Latin in Italy or Spain. I think the university in Tunis does intensive summer courses on Tunisian Arabic - I'm not sure how close that is to Algerian Arabic.
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »