Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 07:25 AM

New Britain
Today at 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Opinion: Black Lives Matter is a Terrorist Group

(Read 28660 times)
  • Previous page 1 ... 3 4 56 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Opinion: Black Lives Matter is a Terrorist Group
     Reply #120 - March 18, 2017, 01:33 AM

I have no idea what your parents did for a living. I would be quite happy to hear that they were employed as my mother was. I never met nor heard first hand of anyone else who did such work.

My parents were not the kind of people who would have gotten involved in civil rights (I mean, unless you call normalizing pedophilia/incest "getting involved in civil rights"), but my grandparents were. Both my grandfathers died when I was 7 years old. One of my grandmothers moved to the other side of the continent, so my contact with her was extremely limited and as a result I didn't get to know her too well. My other grandmother, on the other hand, I knew very well, and eventually I even lived with her for a while until her death. She met her husband (my grandfather) in college; they were both in the dentistry program. When WW2 started my grandfather could have asked for a deferment to the draft but he didn't. He did get drafted but since he was considered a skilled professional, having graduated college, he was sent to work at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, which was convenient because he didn't even have to get a new house, he was able to stay where he was before. After the war, my grandparents had three kids. They bought a house in a white neighborhood, illegally (you can read that whole story here). When the civil rights movement came along, they were very happy to help. Since they were working professionals, they weren't able to put their careers on the line to go march, but what they could do was post bail for those who were. So they did that. They were all about giving people opportunities, and they brought a good number of alcoholics and drug addicts into their home to help them get back on their feet.

My grandmother meant a great deal to me and what I want in life is to be more like her.

I would say that I am sorry if you feel I have personally attacked you. That was not my intention, and indeed it would undermine my point.

I don't think you're a "true believer" like cato, I think you're more or less on the ideological bandwagon because you think it will make you a good person. I think ideologies let people do hurtful things to other people with a good conscience, which is very dangerous, and was what I was arguing BLM is doing.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for I have a sonic screwdriver, a tricorder, and a Type 2 phaser.
     Reply #121 - March 18, 2017, 04:51 AM

White liberal who thinks BLM is a terrorist group is now crying victim on an exxie forum filled with the majority that are POC. This is hilarious  Cheesy

"I'm standing here like an asshole holding my Charles Dickens"

"No theory,No ready made system,no book that has ever been written to save the world. i cleave to no system.."-Bakunin
     Reply #122 - March 18, 2017, 05:04 AM

White liberal who thinks BLM is a terrorist group is now crying victim on an exxie forum. This is hilarious  Cheesy

*double checks* yeah, im still not white. I can try scratching off my skin to see if there's a white layer underneath, if you think that would be helpful in advancing the conversation, but I'm not white. It was kind of a big deal growing up because my mom is white and is often quite racist and so is most of her family, so I got bullied a lot by my white cousins. I'm not black, either; when I'm given a checkbox I normally select "middle eastern" or "mixed". But not being black doesn't make me white.

Interestingly, my brother (who's also not black) joined a traditionally black gang, and by gang I do mean criminal organization and not group of friends, and a lot of his strikes were on white people who had been racist to black people; that's more about his wanting to be able to arouse sympathy with a jury than it is his being a nice guy. And honestly anyone willing to bring guns to intimidate people or poison people, both of which my brother has done, should be locked up for as long as possible because they're not good people, they're a danger to society, and I don't care how well they're able to argue to a jury that they were acting defensively.

But hey, since you think a person's moral character can always or almost always be judged solely on the basis of melanin count, it really doesn't matter to me what you think of me, since you're a fucking racist (whether or not YOU see it) and I think that's morally reprehensible.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for I have a sonic screwdriver, a tricorder, and a Type 2 phaser.
     Reply #123 - March 18, 2017, 05:44 AM

*double checks* yeah, im still not white. I can try scratching off my skin to see if there's a white layer underneath, if you think that would be helpful in advancing the conversation, but I'm not white. It was kind of a big deal growing up because my mom is white and is often quite racist and so is most of her family, so I got bullied a lot by my white cousins. I'm not black, either; when I'm given a checkbox I normally select "middle eastern" or "mixed". But not being black doesn't make me white.

So you are a Brown Jew?

They are Jewish liberals that supports racist systems in the Global North because they benefit from it hence their strong views on US race relation and  Immigration.

Interestingly, my brother (who's also not black) joined a traditionally black gang, and by gang I do mean criminal organization and not group of friends, and a lot of his strikes were on white people who had been racist to black people; that's more about his wanting to be able to arouse sympathy with a jury than it is his being a nice guy. And honestly anyone willing to bring guns to intimidate people or poison people, both of which my brother has done, should be locked up for as long as possible because they're not good people, they're a danger to society, and I don't care how well they're able to argue to a jury that they were acting defensively.

Your brother is a criminal, not an activist that protest for equal rights and justice. Any POC can join a black gang ,what's new about it.

But hey, since you think a person's moral character can always or almost always be judged solely on the basis of melanin count, it really doesn't matter to me what you think of me, since you're a fucking racist (whether or not YOU see it) and I think that's morally reprehensible.

Cry Me A River *JT's voice *

"No theory,No ready made system,no book that has ever been written to save the world. i cleave to no system.."-Bakunin
     Reply #124 - March 18, 2017, 05:52 AM

So you are a Brown Jew?

They are Jewish liberals that supports racist systems in the Global North because they benefit from it hence their strong views on US race relation and  Immigration.

So, what you're saying is I'm an honorary white person, even though I'm not white, because I disagree with your politics, and therefore because of my honorary status as a white person I'm equally morally reprehensible because I'm failing to be the "right kind" of POC. Have you considered the possibility that your strict adherence to your ideology is making you say stupid things?

Your brother is a criminal, not an activist that protest for equal rights and justice. Any POC can join a black gang ,what's new about it.

Reply #125 - March 18, 2017, 06:03 AM

So, what you're saying is I'm an honorary white person, even though I'm not white, because I disagree with your politics, and therefore because of my honorary status as a white person I'm equally morally reprehensible because I'm failing to be the "right kind" of POC. Have you considered the possibility that your strict adherence to your ideology is making you say stupid things?

I said racist systems ans its institutions but let's keep making this issue about just the complexion when it isn't just that since that's  where you find it convenient to vent out your issues.

Lol,you were trying to say "my bro joined a black gang ,beat white racists,slang some rocks and did some crime" like that makes you less of a racist or liberals should I say.  You are making it look like as if joining a gang is a black thing Grin

Reply #126 - March 18, 2017, 06:19 AM

I said racist systems ans its institutions but let's keep making this issue about just the complexion when it isn't just that since that's  where you find it convenient to vent out your issues.

You said brown Jews, as a group, support racist systems because we, as a group, benefit from them; the implication being that we benefit from them because we are accepted as white (or at least white enough) by the people of the "global north". Which is bullshit and I don't think my skin color and ancestry has much to do with who I am as a person, except insofar as the inbreeding of the Jewish community is more than likely the reason why I have so many genetic health conditions including my mental health conditions. In other words, I think my mental health conditions brought on by inbreeding, which could as easily happen in somewhere like Latin America or South Asia where people tend to have a higher melanin count, given the right amount of time and isolation, are more important factors in creating my personality than melanin alone, which as far as I can tell has no effect on my personality.

Lol,you were trying to say "my bro joined a black gang ,beat white racists,slang some rocks and did some crime" like that makes you less of a racist or liberals should I say.  You are making it look like as if joining a gang is a black thing Grin

No, I was saying that I know what it's like to have a family member who is involved in gangs and criminality and IN SPITE OF THAT, I am in favor of harsh prison sentences and in some cases even the death penalty. I don't care that it could negatively impact the person who I poured the most care and compassion into, the most years of my life into creating, I know it must be done because if it's not, people will get hurt. I am able to put my own love and compassion aside to see the bigger issue of the safety of the majority and the inability of science to rehabilitate some percentage of the population. I know it would negatively impact someone I love deeply, but I still know it needs to be done. I'm not going to go marching for shorter prison sentences for repeat offenders or for more understanding towards violent criminals or against the use of force by the police, because I believe the rule of law is necessary to keeping a functional society, even though I'm fully aware that my own brother could, and in all likelihood will, eventually be on the receiving end of life imprisonment, the death penalty, or a cop's bullet. On paper, love and compassion is wonderful and the most important thing. In reality, keeping people safe is more important to me than the ideal of getting everyone accepted as they are.

Reply #127 - March 18, 2017, 06:36 AM

[bYou said brown Jews, as a group, support racist systems because we, as a group, benefit from them; the implication being that we benefit from them because we are accepted as white (or at least white enough) by the people of the "global north".

I said some support and yes, they do benefit from it.

Which is bullshit and I don't think my skin color and ancestry has much to do with who I am as a person, except insofar as the inbreeding of the Jewish community is more than likely the reason why I have so many genetic health conditions including my mental health conditions. In other words, I think my mental health conditions brought on by inbreeding, which could as easily happen in somewhere like Latin America or South Asia where people tend to have a higher melanin count, given the right amount of time and isolation, are more important factors in creating my personality than melanin alone, which as far as I can tell has no effect on my personality.

You still couldn't resist the urge to vent out your issues about the complexion,right? rant away.

No, I was saying that I know what it's like to have a family member who is involved in gangs and criminality and IN SPITE OF THAT, I am in favor of harsh prison sentences and in some cases even the death penalty. I don't care that it could negatively impact the person who I poured the most care and compassion into, the most years of my life into creating, I know it must be done because if it's not, people will get hurt. I am able to put my own love and compassion aside to see the bigger issue of the safety of the majority and the inability of science to rehabilitate some percentage of the population. I know it would negatively impact someone I love deeply, but I still know it needs to be done. I'm not going to go marching for shorter prison sentences for repeat offenders or for more understanding towards violent criminals or against the use of force by the police, because I believe the rule of law is necessary to keeping a functional society, even though I'm fully aware that my own brother could, and in all likelihood will, eventually be on the receiving end of life imprisonment, the death penalty, or a cop's bullet. On paper, love and compassion is wonderful and the most important thing. In reality, keeping people safe is more important to me than the ideal of getting everyone accepted as they are.

What a sad way of looking at humanity

Reply #128 - March 18, 2017, 06:44 AM

So you are a Brown Jew?

I said some support and yes, they do benefit from it.

So you are a Brown Jew?

They are Jewish liberals
    that supports racist systems in the Global North because they benefit from it hence their strong views on US race relation and  Immigration.

some

So you are a Brown Jew?

They are Jewish liberals

Again, have you considered the possibility that your ideology is making you say stupid things?

What a sad way of looking at humanity

I don't care that you think it's sad, I think being realistic is more important than being idealistic. It's true that there are some kinds of criminals that modern science can't rehabilitate (especially male psychopaths who have turned to violence). I care more about the potential victims than the perpetrators.

Reply #129 - March 18, 2017, 06:52 AM

Again, have you considered the possibility that your ideology is making you say stupid things?

Says the one who thinks BLM is a terrorist group.

I cleave to no ideology, have you read my signature?

Also you are confusing "They are Jews that do x and y " for "all Jews do x and y" .  How stupid can you really get at this point?

Reply #130 - March 18, 2017, 06:56 AM

Says the one who thinks BLM is a terrorist group.

You really haven't made the case that it isn't. I made the case for it (that they are promoting racial hatred and pointless insurrection and have been directly or indirectly involved in several criminal acts), you did not provide a counterargument besides "you are racist tho, you're too white to understand".

Reply #131 - March 18, 2017, 06:59 AM

Ok fine,

Black Lives Matter is a terrorist group!!!

I believe you

Good day  Afro

Reply #132 - March 18, 2017, 07:28 AM

I'm going to have a last word on this for good because i really don't have the luxury of time arguing over stupid things with stupid people online.

You know what's really stupid is when someone asks for evidences,counter-arguments, and whatnot,and enough have been provided with gems on them but one chooses to dismiss them because they are not "realistic".  That's being a stupid.

How stupid of me to even argue with you in the first place. What a waste of time.

Reply #133 - March 18, 2017, 12:29 PM

Let me go into a bit more detail about my feelings about my brother because I think it will answer a lot of the questions I have left unanswered thus far in the thread.

When, one day, my brother is on the receiving end of a cop's bullet or a judge's gavel, whose fault will it be? His. I am fully aware of the fact that if it were not for us being put through, for all intents and purposes, chattel slavery, that if he hadn't been molested, that if he hadn't been tortured, he would not have become the violent criminal that he is. I am fully aware that he had no choice in being born with psychopathy, and that it's questionable whether or not he understands the consequences of his actions. But the fact of the matter is that he is a danger to others. I know full well what he's capable of and I know he must be stopped. If that means that he's killed or thrown in jail for the rest of his days, then that's what has to happen. Yes, he is a victim of his circumstances, but that doesn't change the fact that it is his actions, and no one else's, that he is paying the price for. It is still the things he did, the things he will do, that will have led to his tragic fate.

I am not saying that because I hate him. I have done more, sacrificed more, suffered more than you could ever understand to protect him, to shelter him from as much as I could, to give him the best education and moral guidance that I could. The guilt and pain I feel for having not done more--no matter how much I tell myself or how much my therapists tell me it was never meant to be my responsibility and that I was not the perpetrator, I was a fellow victim--weighs on me more heavily than you could ever understand. And yet I know that when he does get what is coming to him, it will be moral and justified, since he has chosen (no matter how much we can argue about whether or not he had any other choices available to him) to go down a path that has endangered and harmed others.

He must pay for his own actions. It may also be the fault of other people, the people who abused us and failed us, but he is still the one who must pay for his actions. And since there is no known way to rehabilitate him, if him paying for his actions means his death or his life imprisonment, that's what must be. I understand that he has been the victim of so much shit that no one should have to go through, but that does not justify him putting other people through the same shit. He must be stopped from doing so. Otherwise we'll just end up with another generation just like him, and their victims and their victims' children will create another generation like them. We can argue until the end of time about who ultimately is responsible or whether or not humans even have free will, but at the end of the day, he is dangerous and that means he must be separated from society for the good of the rest of the people.

And I'm not saying all that because I hate him. Nothing could be further from the truth. The truth is, I don't hate him, I don't love him; I know him. And that knowledge allows me to see that no matter how much my emotions may try to interfere, no matter how much my heart breaks over what he suffered, no matter how much I can sympathize with his pain, neither I nor anyone else is responsible for the actions that he himself has taken. The people who made him into this deserve to pay for their crimes, but he deserves to pay for his.

No human action happens in an ethical vacuum, no crime happens in an ethical vacuum. There is always something deeper at play, there is always another factor beyond our control that has an influence on our behavior. But at the end of the day, we must hold people accountable for what they have done, otherwise we'll end up with no societies more productive than dog packs.

Reply #134 - March 18, 2017, 12:44 PM

I agree with this...
    Quote from: DaveK
    I think it's a false dichotomy.  The history of racism in the US is long and complicated.  The forces of oppression helped to create a culture of poverty and disenfranchisment.  This doesn't mean you can't hold individual people responsible for their actions

I don't think there's really any contradiction between seeing people as victims of racism, oppression or abuse - or maybe sometimes simply as victims of circumstance - and seeing them as responsible for their own actions.
     Reply #135 - March 18, 2017, 04:56 PM

I don't think you're a "true believer" like cato, I think you're more or less on the ideological bandwagon because you think it will make you a good person. I think ideologies let people do hurtful things to other people with a good conscience, which is very dangerous, and was what I was arguing BLM is doing.

Well I don't want to be good anymore, I am actually presenting what I believe to be right, and true. Being good will never be good enough, so I am done with all that.

I never thought to ask my mother if she was a marcher. I should. What she did do was volunteer as an education professional to desegregate and facilitate personally the implementation of new policies for integration. So she was in the teacher exchange.

Don't let Hitler have the street.
     Reply #136 - March 18, 2017, 04:58 PM

I don't think there's really any contradiction between seeing people as victims of racism, oppression or abuse - or maybe sometimes simply as victims of circumstance - and seeing them as responsible for their own actions.

I don't either.

Reply #137 - March 18, 2017, 08:13 PM

Well, there is your proof.

No it is evidence of previous issues. The military is not longer segregated thus no longer a factor in the present.

The military is not an isolated culture. It shares with civilian life, and is not independent of it.

The military reflected part of the culture at the time. It was also opposed by those that advocated mixed units and all black units. However the military itself is not a civilian entity thus has a different code of regulation to follow, a different court system, etc. This was done by an act of Congress called the Uniform Code of Military Justice. Soldiers are not treated as citizens, do not have the same rights under the Constitution. Hence why I focused on what the federal, state and local government rather than the military solely as the military does not follow civilian law.

We have institutionalized racism, cultural racism, and only a generation of "legal equality" on our books.
    That sounds like a good case to me.

Sure for history. It is a horrible case for claiming the situation is the same now.
     Reply #138 - March 19, 2017, 12:02 AM

The soldiers I know don't go to some old soldier's retirement home. They move down the street from me and they work next to me and they bring their changed culture with them. They went in as civilians and influenced the military and they come out as military trained civilians. Sometimes after four years and sometimes after twenty, and at any time in between that. Subject to pretty much all the same things I am, except for their medical care, which is sometimes pretty pathetic. Their attitudes towards their communities and neighbors as grandfathers affect their families for generations.

I don't believe that a law went on the books and and a switch just flipped. I believe a law went on the books making racism illegal and it didn't sink in much at all for a decade. Then it was applied in some places. Some places not. I think people refused to implement the laws as they were meant to be implemented, for a while. Now we have some places pretty racist and some places less so. I would love to see a place without racism, but am still waiting. I actually thought I would find it in California, where there are more minorities, but I was wrong. I thought I would find it at home in the North, where people talk a lot about being nice, but I was mistaken. In cities things look better on the surface, but after some high profile incidents I am having trouble believing what I see there.
    I don't see racism as a series of isolated incidents. I see incidents as symptoms of a blight that reaches much farther than such and such street corner and such and such officer.

Reply #139 - March 19, 2017, 10:42 AM

Oh and one more thing about Jews having white privilege and the concept of reparations. You do realize that my grandparents faced the same legal penalties as black or Hispanic families when they bought their house in a white neighborhood? Had they been convicted of breach of contract instead of getting away with it via plausible deniability, they would have lost their house and probably would have been fined. When my dad and his brothers went to school, my grandparents paid for them to go to a private school with the children of diplomats because there wasn't a non-white school in their school district. My family went through the exact same segregation and discrimination as anyone else's.

But I would never ask for reparations for what my family went through.

And you know why? Because that's not how my grandmother raised me. And that's not how her father raised her. When her dad came to the US as a refugee, with only a few dollars in his pocket, one of the first things he did was go to a presidential inauguration. He was moved by the sight but also thought about what the political change of power meant for the area: tons of people moving in and out, the new administration's staff replacing the old administration's in the city. And what would tons of people who were moving in need? Furniture! And what would those moving out have to sell? Furniture! So he spent the little money he had to buy a small space and he set up a furniture company. It grew. He got a contract with a company in Connecticut to make furniture for him. Eventually he was even able to buy a truck to transport the furniture and get rid of the horse drawn carts. And when, after several decades, my grandmother sold the company, it was worth a few million.

My grandmother didn't teach me to feel entitled or to want to make society feel bad about what I've gone through. My grandmother taught me to make the best out of even the worst situations. She taught me to be enterprising and think about my options. She taught me that no matter what shitty stuff I've been through, building a better life for myself isn't society's job. It's my job. Yes, I will need the help of others along the way. Everyone does. Even the richest man drives on roads paved with taxes, staffs his company with tax-payer educated employees, and uses tax-payer installed electric and water pipelines. We all need each other, but it's not society's job to make sure each individual succeeds, it's the individual's job. Society should absolutely ensure a minimum quality of life, but it can't get you higher than the second step on Maslow's hierarchy. If you want to get past there, it's up to you.

And that's why the fuck reparations are a poor substitute for taking responsibility for improving yourself.

Reply #140 - March 19, 2017, 07:24 PM

The soldiers I know don't go to some old soldier's retirement home. They move down the street from me and they work next to me and they bring their changed culture with them. They went in as civilians and influenced the military and they come out as military trained civilians. Sometimes after four years and sometimes after twenty, and at any time in between that. Subject to pretty much all the same things I am, except for their medical care, which is sometimes pretty pathetic. Their attitudes towards their communities and neighbors as grandfathers affect their families for generations.

Sure at times they have a negative effect. At times they have a positive effect. It depends on the person. Also at times people rebel against the perceptions of their elders or they echo.

I don't believe that a law went on the books and and a switch just flipped. I believe a law went on the books making racism illegal and it didn't sink in much at all for a decade. Then it was applied in some places. Some places not. I think people refused to implement the laws as they were meant to be implemented, for a while. Now we have some places pretty racist and some places less so. I would love to see a place without racism, but am still waiting. I actually thought I would find it in California, where there are more minorities, but I was wrong. I thought I would find it at home in the North, where people talk a lot about being nice, but I was mistaken. In cities things look better on the surface, but after some high profile incidents I am having trouble believing what I see there. I don't see racism as a series of isolated incidents. I see incidents as symptoms of a blight that reaches much farther than such and such street corner and such and such officer.

Racism isn't illegal as that would be a thought crime. Acting on racism such as assaulting people is. However the crime of assault is already illegal. The basis for the assault is considered. If found to be based on racism a tougher sentence could be handed down. There is no law making thinking something illegal.
     Reply #141 - March 19, 2017, 07:26 PM

And that's why the fuck reparations are a poor substitute for taking responsibility for improving yourself.

Did someone bring up reparations? Just asking

It is a horrible idea itself
     Reply #142 - March 19, 2017, 08:44 PM

Sure at times they have a negative effect. At times they have a positive effect. It depends on the person. Also at times people rebel against the perceptions of their elders or they echo.

Racism isn't illegal as that would be a thought crime. Acting on racism such as assaulting people is. However the crime of assault is already illegal. The basis for the assault is considered. If found to be based on racism a tougher sentence could be handed down. There is no law making thinking something illegal.

Yes, so the military is not an isolated environment. It feeds and is fed by civilian life, as it should be.
    Sorry, "practicing racism" if you prefer. No need to get technical. And assault is not always illegal or found to be so, if we are getting so technical.

Reply #143 - March 19, 2017, 09:31 PM

Yes, so the military is not an isolated environment. It feeds and is fed by civilian life, as it should be.

Sure. However social changes do not go over well with the military more often than not due to a radically different perceptive on social structure, it's implementation and how this applies to it's standards.

Sorry, "practicing racism" if you prefer. No need to get technical. And assault is not always illegal or found to be so, if we are getting so technical.

Assault is a crime. If it is person did not a crime they didn't commit assault but acted in self-defense. Smiley
     Reply #144 - March 20, 2017, 01:58 AM

I wish it were so, but there are sorts of spousal rape that are perfectly legal still today in the US, like how some states allow you to rape your wife if she is unconscious. We also still have child marriage, which is a form of rape that is not illegal simply because of the marital status.
    I really hope that spousal rape is now illegal in every state without exemptions, I haven't heard much about it lately so if the laws have changed in the past few years I would be glad to be wrong.
    I also wish child marriage were illegal across the board, but I know as of quite recently that Tahirih was still pushing for change.
    It is also perfectly legal to hit your children in pretty much every state, and it is not even considered assault.

Reply #145 - March 20, 2017, 04:06 AM

I understand your phobia of being beaten to a pulp by a mob of angry black guys might be clouding your judgment a bit.

I'm actually not scared of that. The city I live in doesn't have a high concentration of urban poor black youth. But then again, the city I grew up in did, and I wasn't too scared of it then either. I knew then, as I know now, abuse is far more likely to happen at the hands of someone you know. That being said, I find videos like these ones disturbing:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xE_ZFVUuL-o
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SxHOLWiUnA
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YB91BBPt8g4
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vS79au2w7Lo

OF COURSE there were Irish ghettos and gangs in America, just like there were Italian gangs and Jewish ghettos. The ghetto is typically where you started off when you were a poor immigrant to a big city in a far away land, and organized crime was often a source of income for marginalized communities who were not immediately integrated into society. I have to hope your knowledge of American history is at least sufficient enough for me not to have to cite examples here.

Yes, I know about the fact that they existed, that's precisely why I brought them up. And those ghettos are gone now. Why are they gone?

The difference – and this is a huge difference – is that in a racist society, the groups I mentioned above would, after a generation or two, be integrated into the overall society as “White,” or at least be able to pass as “White” when it mattered, whereas African Americans bear the mark of their history in the very hue of their faces. This leads to all sorts of discrimination and behavior confirmation that has been engrained in our society and that we are struggling to break free from. This is quite a different scenario from other groups in other cultures that were not legally segregated along racial lines up until a generation ago.

This argument doesn't take into consideration the other examples I used such as Hispanics and Asians. The other ethnic groups were NOT able to integrate as white into American society and WERE subject to the same discriminatory laws. You don't see a huge problem with violent crime in Chinatown districts of various American cities. You don't see a huge problem with fatherlessness and recidivism in Hispanic communities.

And it also fails to address why we don't see the same kind of ghettos filled with former slaves in other countries that also had slavery like England or China. If it's inherent to one's ancestors having been enslaved, why don't the descendants of other slaves suffer the same fate?

As for people “glorifying” “thug-life,” then I’d love to ask you WHO exactly is doing this glorification? Are you talking about hip hop music? The media? Who? And who in turn is the biggest consumer of this “glorification.”

Sure, that's a good start to a list. Also good old-fashioned peer pressure, which youth with a lack of strong parental support are more susceptible to. If 1/4 of your class has dropped out of school, the richest guy you know is a drug pusher, and the most reliable source of income for you is crime, then yeah, you're going to look favorably on that lifestyle.

And, dear god, I’m not even going to waste my time picking through your posts about the enforcement of laws, particularly non-violent drug offences. All I will ask is that you reference statistics on the use of drugs – which make up a significant amount of the “crime” that Black people are convicted for, and compare that against drug usage in the rest of non-colored America.

Let's say you smoke weed twice a week but the police are only called to your apartment complex once in an entire month, and they went there to respond with a cat stuck in a tree, not a crime. Then let's say that John also smokes weed twice a week but he lives in an apartment complex that has had the police called to it 3 times a week, one of those being for a drug offense, one being for reports of a shooting, and one being for disorderly conduct. Which of you is more likely to run into the police while carrying around your weed? Which one of your neighborhoods are the police more likely to be nervous about when they're responding to the call? Yes, it's not fair, but racism isn't the only possible explanation.

Reply #146 - March 20, 2017, 04:10 AM

Did someone bring up reparations? Just asking

Three did.
    Maybe if we started with reparations we could make some headway.

Reply #147 - March 20, 2017, 05:12 AM

Three did.

Thanks. Still a horrible idea to hold people responsible for the acts of their ancestors. More so this only holds the end buyer responsible not each group in the long chain of an international slave trade.
     Reply #148 - March 20, 2017, 12:49 PM

Compared to reparations, a much more progressive income and other tax policy would have a bigger positive impact than reparations anyway. In addition, you wouldn't have to go through the trouble of figuring out generations old chains of victims and perpetrators, as you would with reparations, so there's that plus as well.

Not that we're at all likely to get either with Republicans controlling all major branches of government now...

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #149 - March 20, 2017, 01:21 PM

@ Gal. I’m not going to go back and forth with you on your gaslighting of racism and its effects in the United States. It’s an exercise in futility; your true colors are already shining through. All I will say is that so long as so many people in this country think like you – perpetuating stereotypes about black people wanting to be “dead before 30” and “glorifying thug life,” we black people will clearly have an uphill battle to fight as we continue to do what the Irish, the Jews, and the Italians have done – pulling ourselves up from our shoestrings in the face of prejudice. If your posts are indicative of the sorts of things that come to your mind when you think about black people, then it is no wonder we continue to face the discrimination that we do.  

Remember, the bulk of the Great Migration that saw blacks fleeing the South was not during the time of the 5 Points Gang and Al Capone, but in the 40’s, 50's, and 60’s.

“The kind of trenchant racism to which black people have persistently been subjected can never be defeated by making its victims more respectable.”

On the topic of reparations, I’m not convinced they are the best solution for two main reasons: practicality and effectiveness. Bogart, in the same way that it is not fair to hold a group responsible for the actions of their ancestors, I also think that it is unfair to not recognize the advantages favored upon a group are as a direct result of the actions of their ancestors. A sociologist friend of mine once likened it to a 400 year long game of monopoly in which one set of players was allowed to go around the board 10 times before letting other folks join in on the game, then said “OK, let’s all start off equal.”

Still, I don’t think reparations are the most practical solution to the problem, primarily because I don’t think you can undo that sort of injustice simply by throwing money at it. (There are very strong counter-arguments to this position, however, and I’d recommend taking them seriously lest we forget that something needs to be done.)

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2014/06/the-case-for-reparations/361631/

I’d recommend reading that entire work. It’s long but it presents a coherent case.
  • Previous page 1 ... 3 4 56 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »