Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Yesterday at 08:44 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
Yesterday at 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Yesterday at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 18, 2024, 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Muslims Like Us

(Read 3194 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Muslims Like Us
     OP - December 13, 2016, 05:02 PM

In case you missed it last night this is Episode 1 of 2 of "Muslims Like Us." I'm really enjoying it and think it will generate some excellent discussions.

https://youtu.be/v_NIMoj8jFA
  • Muslims Like Us
     Reply #1 - December 14, 2016, 03:50 AM

I like it a lot.

Don't let Hitler have the street.
  • Muslims Like Us
     Reply #2 - December 14, 2016, 12:51 PM

Episode 2 of 2

https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=HrAjgU-bhgQ

• Muslims Like Us
     Reply #3 - December 14, 2016, 12:52 PM

I know Ferhan btw. He attends the Inclusive Mosque. Lovely guy.
  • Muslims Like Us
     Reply #4 - December 15, 2016, 04:17 PM

Hey Hassan Smiley

I will catch up on it. Didn't think it would be a fair cross-section of Muslims. Had the feeling that the BBC would  skew things so that Islam doesn't get portrayed too negatively. Do you think they did just that in the end?

Hi
  • Muslims Like Us
     Reply #5 - December 15, 2016, 11:05 PM

thanks for putting it up. I loved watching this. some uncomfortable moments (the edl scene). and the oniongate was a bit embarrassing.

muslims like us:- Are you going to join the prayer?

Naila:- No, i write letters to god at night.

just brilliant!
  • Muslims Like Us
     Reply #6 - December 15, 2016, 11:19 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBR-kH628Zc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDspZLL6lp0

The main point of the show is to display the diversity of Muslims in order for people to see that Islam is not a Monolith, and that Muslim are similar to people of other faiths. It did a good job in showing the diversity but I wouldn't be surprised if many took from this that only some 'Moderate Muslims' are good and all 'Fundamentalist Muslims' are bad.

Personally, I think they should of included someone who argues in a similar manner to the way Abdulhaqq (using Quran and Hadiths to justify there view) in order to make it clear that his views is not the authentic version of Islam and that everyone other Muslim is just picking and choosing parts of Islam to justify there moderate views of the religion. Maybe some of these people did argue along Islamic points but it was just edited out, it seems like many of the people who featured are not happy with the final cut.

Considering that they condensed 9 days into 2 hours and they included ridiculous arguments like the one between Nabil and Ferhan about an ONION, the BBC certainly had an agenda and wanted to sensationalise it to the maximum so that the only thing people took from it was their message. It seems to me that they wanted people to differentiate between your diverse everyday Muslims and an Islamist rather than understanding how blurred the lines are.

If the show was at least 5 episodes long and gave a good representation of each person in the process (some of them didn't even get an intro into their background), then maybe it would of been a success, but clearly BBC just want to put out a narrative and not actually put out something which could of been enjoyable and informative at the same time.
  • Muslims Like Us
     Reply #7 - December 16, 2016, 12:02 AM

thanks for the vids. wow 9 days into just 2 hours.. they should've had some say in the editing process. Its such a shame so much was left out. I did feel the bbc had an agenda the minute i saw those doggie pics up in the kitchen. So glad no one in the house took the bait.

I'm glad Naila and Barra have aired their feelings about the show.

• Muslims Like Us
     Reply #8 - December 16, 2016, 12:12 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiraclbuC9k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QX4jRTs9eao

It seems like most, if not all, have come out and said something about the show and it seems to be quite negative. The claim Nabil makes in the first 2 mins about 'the gay guy', if true, would clearly show that the BBC had an agenda as it wouldn't make sense otherwise why they wouldn't include it.
  • Muslims Like Us
     Reply #9 - December 16, 2016, 12:47 AM

oh god poor nabil. i didn't think he came across as aggressive. its a real shame they're getting such a hard time from everyone. you know i woulda thought that the bbc would have a page dedicated to their histories and achievements like they do on the apprentice for example.

I hope another channel does something like this but with some honesty. (if its possible)

• Muslims Like Us
     Reply #10 - December 16, 2016, 12:33 PM

Hey Hassan Smiley

I will catch up on it. Didn't think it would be a fair cross-section of Muslims. Had the feeling that the BBC would  skew things so that Islam doesn't get portrayed too negatively. Do you think they did just that in the end?

I think they did a fair job.
  • Muslims Like Us
     Reply #11 - December 16, 2016, 12:49 PM

Yes my main criticism is we didn't get a chance to hear some deeper analysis and justifications for the different views. I would have loved to put my Agnostic Muslim views across.

But I enjoyed the show nevertheless
  • Muslims Like Us
     Reply #12 - December 16, 2016, 06:15 PM

oh god poor nabil. i didn't think he came across as aggressive. its a real shame they're getting such a hard time from everyone. you know i woulda thought that the bbc would have a page dedicated to their histories and achievements like they do on the apprentice for example.

I hope another channel does something like this but with some honesty. (if its possible)

I think in Nabil's case, it does make it seem like he had a problem with Ferhan with the way it was edited, and a lot of people probably would attribute it to Ferhan being gay, which doesn't seem to be the issue (Barra has back up Nabil about Ferhan's racism).

The way Ferhan came across probably didn't help how Muslims perceive gay people and did nothing to normalise a 'Gay and Muslim' stance. The position 'You have to accept people by the label they assign to themselves' does not work with most people especially when it comes to religious identity. If you want religious Muslims to comes to terms with a 'Gay Muslim' you have to produce arguments rooted in Islamic Theology and history which is highly possible, but it seems like the victim narrative tends to be shown more in order to appeal to Liberals and Non Muslim audiences, which is disappointing.

You're right, just a simple thing like a background story on the BBC website for each person would have made a big difference in the way the fringe characters were seen. Unfortunately, the BBC is not dedicated enough to fully commit to a project, most likely down to it trying to show that it is being impartial and not showing favour to any group which it  will be always be accused of by both sides regardless of how they portray Muslims. Maybe, Channel 4 would of been a better place for a show like this.
  • Muslims Like Us
     Reply #13 - December 22, 2016, 11:48 PM

yeah, I think the editing didn't help Nabil. And Ferhan came across as a bit over the top. god, all that crying! I guess being in such an unnatural environment doesn't help either. I liked all the characters really.

one person I felt incredibly sad and scared for, was Abdul Haq. here's an example of someone who sincerely wants to do the right thing and he's so keen on pleasing his maker that he's forgotten to think for himself. There was an innocence about him and I think he's been exploited by whoever converted him. Boy is he going to be angry when he comes out of the spell of religion.

And I agree, channel 4 would be a good place for this. British Muslim tv would also be good place to show this. If their brave enough. And i'd love for a couple of ex-muslims to join them. I genuinely believe ex muslims would be of value to the discussions in the house.
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »