Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Lights on the way
by akay
Today at 04:40 PM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Today at 02:45 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Today at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: The harsh reality of Pakistanis living in Canada

(Read 5992 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • The harsh reality of Pakistanis living in Canada
     OP - November 29, 2016, 02:28 AM

Zara is four years old and a face of child poverty in Canada. Her parents are immigrants from Pakistan whose financial struggles continue even after toiling for 12 years in their adopted country.

Zara’s story became front-page news that named Toronto — where 27% of the children live in poverty — as the child poverty capital of Canada.

Zara and thousands of other children like her are stuck in ethnic enclaves like Thorncliffe Park that are known for poverty and some even for violent crimes.

Four years ago, a piece I wrote for Dawn.com highlighted the plight of Pakistani Canadians, whom I described as the new face of poverty in urban Canada.

Hundreds wrote in anger to the publication, some erroneously suggesting that the census figures I had cited were wrong. Others asked my employer to either dismiss or discipline me for offending their sensibilities.

http://www.dawn.com/news/1298978/the-harsh-reality-of-pakistanis-living-in-canada

"Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well."
    - Robert Louis Stevenson
     Reply #1 - November 29, 2016, 04:35 AM

olweasel   sorry to say this .,  THAT IS A NONSENSE  ARTICLE  
    http://www.dawn.com/news/1298978/the-harsh-reality-of-pakistanis-living-in-canada

Zara is four years old and a face of child poverty in Canada. Her parents are immigrants from Pakistan whose financial struggles continue even after toiling for 12 years in their adopted country.

Zara’s story became front-page news that named Toronto — where 27% of the children live in poverty — as the child poverty capital of Canada.

Zara and thousands of other children like her are stuck in ethnic enclaves like Thorncliffe Park that are known for poverty and some even for violent crimes.

see  that picture   under it , it says   Salma Jabeen and her daughter Zara, 4, live in Thorncliffe Park, where almost 53 per cent of families with children struggle to get by on low incomes. It means Jabeen can't afford to enrol Zara in gymnastics or taekwondo or buy her little treats when she goes shopping.

that is foolish and rubbish article .,COMPARE Zara,  WITH CHILDREN IN KARACHI..

see the mother and daughter above ..compare that with  "Jabeen can't afford to enrol Zara gymnastics or taekwondo"

I am surprised  that fellow  MURTAZA HAIDER   is a smart guy .. but here he wrote  nonsense .,  Many families living in western countries for  100s of  years also can not afford   gymnastics or taekwondo"  classes ..

incidentally things in west are going to get worse  for uneducated westerners  with more robots and more computer interfaces in line to replace all Cab drivers

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #2 - November 29, 2016, 11:41 AM

There is something called relative poverty, and shouldn't be brushed off just because people in other parts of the world live worse off than wild animals. Relative poverty can lead to very real and detrimental (for both the individual and society as a whole) social problems.

"The healthiest people I know are those who are the first to label themselves fucked up." - three
     Reply #3 - November 29, 2016, 01:33 PM

They are still poor in canada.
    He is not comparing their poverty to pakistan.
    And if you go on comparing then south punjab,internal sindh,balochistan,South india,Africa are worse.

I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.
     Reply #4 - November 29, 2016, 02:14 PM

They are still poor in canada.
    He is not comparing their poverty to pakistan.
    And if you go on comparing then south punjab,internal sindh,balochistan,South india,Africa are worse.

forget Pakistan  south punjab,internal sindh,balochistan,South india,Africa ..etc..etc..

There are plenty of poor in AMRIKA and CANADA  born and brought up in those countries for 2 or 3 generations and they too can not afford  to enrol their kids  in gymnastics or taekwondo

and the number  on those poor folks are going to go up if AMRIKA AND CANADA Politicians become like those  in land of pure .,   where have  politically saucy  elite that takes advantage of cheap   uneducated labor force ..grab lands  when it comes to making money ad  for  parties .,  buying  properties,  buying their shoes/phones/dresses  they go to  London,   Dubai .... Europe or New York.  .........

Well I was surprised to read   Clinton foundation  got donations of  some 25million dollars from THE KINGS OF SAND LAND ..........rotten tomatoes everywhere ..........

well  it is time  for me to stop writing all together to forums  dear abidali......

Reply #5 - November 29, 2016, 02:46 PM

No we need you yeezevee.
    You are one of the best writers here.
    I would say best.

I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.
     Reply #6 - November 29, 2016, 04:46 PM

What are the chances that this was in the news paper today? It says "You should know that a lot of people don't even have it this good", or something equivalent to that. I'm not a certified translator... yet...

"The healthiest people I know are those who are the first to label themselves fucked up." - three
     Reply #7 - November 29, 2016, 05:24 PM

Theres no such thing as poverty in the West. We have Welfare. These days people consider themselves 'poor' if they cant afford the latest iPhone or, as in this case, Taekwando classes. Compare the Western poor today to those living 200 years ago and you will get an idea of what I mean. 
     Reply #8 - November 29, 2016, 08:18 PM

lol true. That is the difference between first and third world.
    What it projects?
    Science,technology & economics will eradicate poverty in future from world.
    According to economics "Scarcity" has no solution. Unlimited human wants and limited resources.
    But limited resources can be changed to enough resources.
    So 500 years ahead, people who would be poor will be riches of our time.
    Humanity is progressing. There is no doubt about it.
    Still lot to cure. Still lot suffering

And once there are enough resources,there is no need for implerialism.
    Because implerialism comes when resources are too limited.

Reply #9 - November 29, 2016, 08:36 PM

But coming next 50 to 100 years will be more terrible for overpopulated third world countries.
    Population in third world will increase while population in 1st world will decrease.
    Unequal distribution of wealth will make things more tough for people in third world unfortunately.

Reply #10 - November 29, 2016, 11:24 PM

Theres no such thing as poverty in the West. We have Welfare. These days people consider themselves 'poor' if they cant afford the latest iPhone or, as in this case, Taekwando classes. Compare the Western poor today to those living 200 years ago and you will get an idea of what I mean. 

Your comparison is flawed as poverty must be within context of the time and society which is being discussed.

Welfare provided enough to either eat or pay rent, not both.
     Reply #11 - November 30, 2016, 01:55 PM

^correct
     Reply #12 - November 30, 2016, 01:56 PM

There is something called relative poverty, and shouldn't be brushed off just because people in other parts of the world live worse off than wild animals. Relative poverty can lead to very real and detrimental (for both the individual and society as a whole) social problems.

^correct
     Reply #13 - November 30, 2016, 06:32 PM

I thought this was relevant, from Marx. Especially the bolded part.

(1) By reducing the worker’s need to the barest and most miserable level of physical subsistence, and by reducing his activity to the most abstract mechanical movement; thus he says: Man has no other need either of activity or of enjoyment. For he declares that this life, too, is human life and existence.

(2) By counting the most meagre form of life (existence) as the standard, indeed, as the general standard – general because it is applicable to the mass of men. He turns the worker into an insensible being lacking all needs, just as he changes his activity into a pure abstraction from all activity. To him, therefore, every luxury of the worker seems to be reprehensible, and everything that goes beyond the most abstract need – be it in the realm of passive enjoyment, or a manifestation of activity – seems to him a luxury. Political economy, this science of wealth, is therefore simultaneously the science of renunciation, of want, of saving and it actually reaches the point where it spares man the need of either fresh air or physical exercise. This science of marvellous industry is simultaneously the science of asceticism, and its true ideal is the ascetic but extortionate miser and the ascetic but productive slave. Its moral ideal is the worker who takes part of his wages to the savings-bank, and it has even found ready-made a servile art which embodies this pet idea: it has been presented, bathed in sentimentality, on the stage. Thus political economy – despite its worldly and voluptuous appearance – is a true moral science, the most moral of all the sciences. Self-renunciation, the renunciation of life and of all human needs, is its principal thesis. The less you eat, drink and buy books; the less you go to the theatre, the dance hall, the public house; the less you think, love, theorise, sing, paint, fence, etc., the more you save – the greater becomes your treasure which neither moths nor rust will devour – your capital. The less you are, the less you express your own life, the more you have, i.e., the greater is your alienated life, the greater is the store of your estranged being. Everything ||XVI| which the political economist takes from you in life and in humanity, he replaces for you in money and in wealth; and all the things which you cannot do, your money can do. It can eat and, drink, go to the dance hall and the theatre; it can travel, it can appropriate art, learning, the treasures of the past, political power – all this it can appropriate for you – it can buy all this: it is true endowment. Yet being all this, it wants to do nothing but create itself, buy itself; for everything else is after all its servant, and when I have the master I have the servant and do not need his servant. All passions and all activity must therefore be submerged in avarice. The worker may only have enough for him to want to live, and may only want to live in order to have that.>

Reply #14 - November 30, 2016, 07:55 PM

Good one bilal.

Reply #15 - December 01, 2016, 12:15 AM

What on earth is that nutjob Marx on about. The guy wrote two long paragraphs and I simply have no idea what he's on about. Can someone explain it to me?

I didn't know we still had commies in the midst.
     Reply #16 - December 01, 2016, 01:14 AM

You don't know the West if you can claim there is no poverty. It is true that poverty has a broader definition in the West than it might it meaner parts of the world, but if you think there is no true poverty in the West then you have just denied the existence of everyone who went to bed hungry and shoeless tonight in my country. There are many, many needy people here who do not qualify for welfare at all. Many who qualify and cannot get it, many who get it and find it wanting, and more still who do not even know there is help available for them.
    Hungry and tired and ill probably feels the same to people today as it did to people a few centuries ago. What I see as the major difference is that we could, if we wanted to, eradicate poverty and provide assistance to everyone who would accept it- yet we do not. That is the shameful difference between the poor of a few centuries ago and today.

Don't let Hitler have the street.
     Reply #17 - December 01, 2016, 02:07 AM

Well, I haven't seen anyone like that in my life. If you have then I guess I would have to take your word for it, but I hope you understand my skepticism.

Also, from the article

In a typical Canadian family, both husband and wife work, which is not the case in a typical immigrant family of Pakistani origin.

Canadian government statistics reveal that immigrants from Pakistan report a female labour force participation rate of less than 50%.

With more than half of the women of Pakistani origin not working, their families’ struggle for economic parity remains an elusive goal.

It used to be a family could get by ok (infact it was the norm) with just one working parent. Now in the West you need two otherwise it is very very hard.

Problem is working mothers have fewer children, infact, Western birth rates are actually below replacement level. So you go to America from Pakistan, work really hard and get your sons and daughters educated and into the middle classes, only to find they dont have enough children, and your community risks becoming extinct in a few generations. What a terrible outcome, would of been better they stayed in Pakistan.

This is happening in almost every Western country, the Government pushes women into the workforce, families oblige, fertility drops and they bring in the immigrants to keep the machine running.

Just a shitty deal for the average Joe who is unfortunately too stupid to realize his predicament. 
     Reply #18 - December 01, 2016, 07:57 AM

It used to be a family could get by ok (infact it was the norm) with just one working parent.

When was it the norm to only have men work? Can you specify which social class these people are? In a typical farmer family, what did the moms do back then? What about the typical merchant family - the ones who own family shop? Where and when did women used to not work?

Your comparison is flawed as poverty must be within context of the time and society which is being discussed.

Welfare provided enough to either eat or pay rent, not both.

I feel like there is a big difference with what Yeez is saying compared to what other people are saying. Coming from a third-world country myself, I have similar mindset to Yeez. (even more so back then, and my elders are even more conservative than me). Sometimes when people who live in UK say that they live in poverty... it's a lot different to poverty in my home country. Free health care, free education, high wages (high standard of living, too. You get the best high quality goods there)... Poor people in my country barely attend school (no school/can't afford it) and they barely have those old big tv in their homes. No flat-screen tv with cables and internet. Many don't even have a brick house, just those... straw/wooden huts.

Not saying that anybody should lower their standard of living. Nobody wants to live like the poor people from some fishing villages. But, if we want... let's see, to eradicate poverty world-wide, the rich have to give up their standard of living somehow. Equality would be achieved when the poorer gain some and the richer lose some.

My dad (a business man himself) used to say that Europeans are entitled. We can't afford free healthcare, but in Europe you get free "everything" and very high wages even for low-level workers. It's definitely very noble, and I have come to understand this kind of mindset after I meet more people from first-world countries (Europeans/Americans). Here's the thing though, the high standard of living is supported by extremely low wages. People who work for the goods can't even afford it themselves, they're all sent to be consumed by people from first-world countries.

I really understand about relative poverty. The 1% of western countries live like some aristocrats and dodge taxes left, right and center. But if we were to be equal and share the wealth, the richest 1% wouldn't be the only ones who need to step down, it's almost everyone... even the poorest from the west.

The way people think about this is different, and I don't think it's simply about knowledge. My dad is a professional and often train people who work at banks how to understand (some part of) economy. He often says that Europeans can't afford their luxury, and the more they demand "free things" the more unemployable they are. The poverty line in the US is at $11,770/year for 1 person household. (https://aspe.hhs.gov/2015-poverty-guidelines). The minimum wage in Indonesia, Jakarta (most expensive city in Indonesia) is $190/month = $2280/year. That's for the most expensive city.

If you have a business, who will you employ? Indonesians or Americans? There are a lot of factors.. like US workers would be more educated, diligent (maybe), etc but if we were to live in utopia and we all have the same opportunity to study, don't you think that most Americans would be jobless because of the high minimum wage? If there's a big surplus of workers and few jobs that pay... then the pay will go down even further... Thus Americans won't be able to afford the luxury they have now. I'm talking about those big houses with working AC/heaters, electricity, etc. Everything will downsize and you'll start to get cheap crap because you can't afford high-quality goods. In Indonesia, a motorbike is like a family car, the whole family fit into one. No more cars (expensive!), and you'll start to forgo safety/health concerns because you can't afford it.

What do you think? Would you be willing to relinquish safety/comfort of your life? When people talk about inequality/wealth gap I feel like people think that their standard of living need to increase and the rich 1% should step down. I don't think so. If we're talking about global wealth gap, the people who complain about healthcare in the US might need to drag their healthcare standards even lower... it's not just the rich 1%. Everybody needs to step down. And it's easier to talk the talk than to walk the walk.
     Reply #19 - December 01, 2016, 01:49 PM

What on earth is that nutjob Marx on about. The guy wrote two long paragraphs and I simply have no idea what he's on about. Can someone explain it to me?

You don't have to be a "commie" in order to read Marx and his ideas, whatever "commie" signifies for you...

I think that ibn Bilal's quote from Marx was pretty spot on in regards to the issue of poverty and the power-relations between those who have and those who have not, which is what we are directly and indirectly discussing here. I really have no intention to discuss these matters with anyone who lack the basic reading comprehension skills and ability to process information, or at least the will to attain one or both of them, least I be called "a commie" if I happen to quote Marx...

Reply #20 - December 01, 2016, 02:21 PM

I thought this was relevant, from Marx. Especially the bolded part.

Any person of color knows this, as this is our life.

White people can have the opportunity to delude themselves, and maybe even avoid it, but for the rest of us this is not just reality, but inevitable reality.

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #21 - December 02, 2016, 12:15 AM

Well, I haven't seen anyone like that in my life. If you have then I guess I would have to take your word for it, but I hope you understand my skepticism.

If you live in the West then your privilege is suffocating your mind.

Don't let Hitler have the street.
     Reply #22 - December 02, 2016, 12:18 AM

I'm not a "commie." I worry capitalism is inevitable because human beings are intrinsically greedy,  idiotic and easily manipulated.

All this is saying is that we're willing to barter everything for the pursuit of capital, even the experience of actually living.
     Reply #23 - December 03, 2016, 12:02 AM

my sister helps the homeless in Toronto. (in her spare time). these people are poor and vulnerable and don't know when their next meal will come from.

the thing is the west can't just compare its poverty to the third world. we can't just rest on our laurels and say well its not as bad as Pakistan or india or Bujambura. there would be no progress in the west if we did that.
     Reply #24 - December 17, 2016, 04:59 PM

It's because you are too basic and one dimensional minded to understand political philosophy except digest nonsense from the advocate of so called "Free market"  that's why you have no idea . It's easy to tell.

"I'm standing here like an asshole holding my Charles Dickens"

"No theory,No ready made system,no book that has ever been written to save the world. i cleave to no system.."-Bakunin
     Reply #25 - December 18, 2016, 12:02 PM

https://www.marxists.org/archive/marx/works/download/pdf/Manifesto.pdf

http://artsone-open.arts.ubc.ca/files/2013/02/mawani_marx-engels.pdf

No one is unquestionable,  neither  Karl Marx political philosophy.,    without doubt he was  a great humanitarian., but what he didn't realize at that time was his political concepts/ideology  leads to totalitarian regimes  and stagnation of political philosophies., Add to that,   the weakness of all biological species " Power Corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely" along  with so-called nationalism, patriotism, racism, religious jingoism of faith heads  leads to more global problems  than it solves or ever solved ....

• 1« Previous thread | Next thread »