Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 05:47 AM

New Britain
April 16, 2024, 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: IQSA, meeting 18-21 November

(Read 13671 times)
  • Previous page 1 2« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • IQSA, meeting 18-21 November
     Reply #30 - November 23, 2016, 09:56 PM

Sura 83

Mehdi Azaiez, Michel Cuypers, and Angelika Neuwirth agree to divide this into three:
    1-6 / 7-28 / 29-36.
    It is a condemnation of defrauders; needn't refer to Mecca specifically.

Emad Mohamed noted two terms, sijjin and 'iliyun, which are preceded "ma adrak" and noted as part of a "book". To him, "ma adrak" is a stance-marker. semantically vacuous, programmatically functional. It just says "this word is a wonder!". So sijjin and 'iliyun are not, themselves, books. Reynolds brought up that the exegetes wondered if 'iliyun was a place; perhaps 'Alyon, the highest heaven, in Judaism.

Shoemaker did think the former was a book, though; Sijjil, perhaps. Someone else asked if it was related to sijn, the prison [of Hell]. It was then brought up that Noeldeke thought that Muhammad had just made up the word... And a fourth person pointed out that sijn's Semitic root isn't necessarily prison but judgement, and that in Biblical Aramaic it's a governor.

Lowin noted that "asatir" in Hebrew isn't just a legend, but implies secrets. (I piped up that the Samaritans had a book of their legends called the Asatir.) Reynolds thought Arabic asatir was a loan, satira = "Writing". If writing, then it comes from outside classical Arabic culture.

Someone asked about sura 83's mention of the blessed laughing at the damned. Tertullian and Augustine said that one of the diversions of paradise is to watch the sinners suffer. Badawi nitpicked that those two authors were unavailable to the Syriac Christianity. But... the audience noted that this same trope appears in Psalm 2, Wisdom of Solomon, and then - the coup de grace - Ephrem's hymns about paradise, that the blessed will smile, rejoice, and be glad thinking of those not so lucky.
     Reply #31 - November 23, 2016, 11:09 PM

Emad Mohamed, a newcomer to these panels, sees parallels internal to sura 27 about plots and schemes against the prophets and messengers (remember, in the Qur'an, Lot may be a prophet but his guests are God's messengers...). God pre-emptively punishes the wicked before they can harm His own. ..............

Hmm  i like that...

https://iqsaweb.files.wordpress.com/2016/11/iqsa-programbook-2016.pdf  Well  Zimirel  ..  take  rest .. loong drive..

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #32 - November 28, 2016, 12:14 PM

where did  Zimriel go??
    Sura 83

Mehdi Azaiez, Michel Cuypers, and Angelika Neuwirth . agree to divide this into three:
    1-6 / 7-28 / 29-36    It is a condemnation of defrauders; needn't refer to Mecca specifically.

Emad Mohamed noted two terms, sijjin and 'iliyun, which are preceded "ma adrak" and noted as part of a "book". To him, "ma adrak" is a stance-marker............

Shoemaker did think the former was a book, though; Sijjil, perhaps. Someone else asked if it was related to sijn, the prison [of Hell]. It was then brought up that Noeldeke thought that Muhammad had just made up the word... And a fourth person pointed out that sijn's Semitic root isn't necessarily prison but judgement, and that in Biblical Aramaic it's a governor.

Lowin noted that "asatir" in Hebrew isn't just a legend, but implies secrets. (I piped up that the Samaritans had a book of their legends called the Asatir.) Reynolds thought Arabic asatir was a loan, satira = "Writing". If writing, then it comes from outside classical Arabic culture.

Someone asked about sura 83's mention of the blessed laughing at the damned. Tertullian and Augustine said that one of the diversions of paradise is to watch the sinners suffer.

Badawi nitpicked that those two authors were unavailable to the Syriac Christianity. ...........

I HATE PEOPLE NITPICKING in meetings specially   discussions on some narrations and descriptions of some ancient religious STORY/SONG/SONNET  BOOKS.    It is not experiments science to  nitpick and nail the presenters on  some silly mistakes .,    

More memories  from  Zimriel needed here .. ..................Hello Zimriel ..........  

well on the way let me read that   what I call  as "SONG OF DEFRAUDERS"  .,after all it is just 36 verses

That Surah 83  in fact an example of  classic Quranic song..,  often repeats in different formats in  chapters  and  indeed is nothing to do with anything .and..  and .. fits for ALL TIMES IN ALL CONDITIONS OF HUMAN INTERACTIONS

Woe to the defrauders,   
     Who, when they take the measure (of their dues) from men take it fully,   
      But when they measure out to others or weigh out for them, they are deficient.   
      Do not these think that they shall be raised again   
      For a mighty day,   
      The day on which men shall stand before the Lord of the worlds?   

Nay! most surely the record of the wicked is in the Sijjin.   
      And what will make you know what the Sijjin is?   
      It is a written book.   
     Woe on that day to the rejecters,   
      Who give the lie to the day of judgment.   
      And none gives the lie to it but every exceeder of limits, sinful one   
      When Our communications are recited to him, he says: Stories of those of yore.

Nay! rather, what they used to do has become like rust upon their hearts.   
      Nay! most surely they shall on that day be debarred from their Lord.   
      Then most surely they shall enter the burning fire.   
      Then shall it be said: This is what you gave the lie to.   
     Nay! Most surely the record of the righteous shall be in the Iliyin.   
      And what will make you know what the highest Iliyin is?   
      It is a written book,   

Those who are drawn near (to Allah) shall witness it.   
      Most surely the righteous shall be in bliss,   
      On thrones, they shall gaze;   
      You will recognize in their faces the brightness of bliss.   
      They are made to quaff of a pure drink that is sealed (to others).   
      The sealing of it is (with) musk; and for that let the aspirers aspire.   
      And the admixture of it is a water of Tasnim,   
      A fountain from which drink they who are drawn near (to Allah).   

Surely they who are guilty used to laugh at those who believe.   
      And when they passed by them, they winked at one another.   
      And when they returned to their own followers they returned exulting.   
     And when they saw them, they said: Most surely these are in error;   
     And they were not sent to be keepers over them.   

So today those who believe shall laugh at the unbelievers;   
    On thrones, they will look.   
     Surely the disbelievers are rewarded as they did

well that is how we should sing  those sonnets of "SONG OF DEFRAUDERS"

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #33 - November 28, 2016, 09:14 PM

This was a great summary, many thanks again to Zim.
     Reply #34 - November 28, 2016, 11:13 PM

what ?   that is really shocking and news to me.,  where did you get that from Zimriel ?? He is from Pakistan..... that too grew up in Karachi.,  It is true some of his relatives are living in South Africa

wiki says otherwise.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farid_Esack

So i'm guessing his mother was raped in South Africa and not Pakistan - he didn't leave for Pakistan till he was 15.
  • Previous page 1 2« Previous thread | Next thread »