Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 07:25 AM

New Britain
Today at 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Majid Nawaz anti-Muslim Bigot?

(Read 4240 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Majid Nawaz anti-Muslim Bigot?
     OP - October 28, 2016, 09:38 PM

I support Majid Nawaz. Does that make me an anti-Muslim bigot too? I will avoid generalising about the liberal left since I am myself a liberal leftist, but FFS many really need to start to being more nuanced and discerning when it comes to separating the real bigots from reformers & critics who have every right to critique Islam!!

http://www.theexmuslim.com/2016/10/27/southern_poverty_law_center_loses_the_plot/
     Reply #1 - October 29, 2016, 11:27 AM

I support Majid Nawaz. Does that make me an anti-Muslim bigot too?.....

http://www.theexmuslim.com/2016/10/27/southern_poverty_law_center_loses_the_plot/  

Hassan., you are trying to live within your own Islam, your own understanding of Islam  far far away from politics.,  which is actually good thing to do  as an individual  Muslim/ agnostic Muslim.  But the Islamic word left that type of living loong looong ago.  Yes..   in certain circles of Islam followers  it does make you
    anti-Muslim bigot.

and you are NOT putting right link...  let me put the link as well as text under it ., and how they mix people and issues to confuse the readers.,   Go here   https://www.splcenter.org/20161025/field-guide-anti-muslim-extremists#nawaz

Maajid Nawaz

Maajid Nawaz is a British activist and part of the “ex-radical” circuit of former Islamists who use that experience to savage Islam. His story, which has been told repeatedly in the British and American press and in testimony to legislators as well, sounds compelling enough — Nawaz says he grew up being attacked by neo-Nazi skinheads in the United Kingdom, spent almost four years in an Egyptian prison after joining a supposedly nonviolent Islamist group, but had a change of heart while imprisoned and then returned to England to work against the radicalization of Muslims. But major elements of his story have been disputed by former friends, members of his family, fellow jihadists and journalists, and the evidence suggests that Nawaz is far more interested in self-promotion and money than in any particular ideological dispute. He told several different versions of his story, emphasizing that he was deradicalized while in Egypt — even though he in fact continued his Islamist agitation for months after returning. After starting the Quilliam Foundation, which he describes as an anti-extremism think tank, Nawaz sent a secret list to a top British security official that accused “peaceful Muslim groups, politicians, a television channel and a Scotland Yard unit of sharing the ideology of terrorists,” according to The Guardian. His Quilliam Foundation received more than 1.25 million pounds from the British government, but the government eventually decided to stop funding it. One of Nawaz’s biggest purported coups was getting anti-Muslim extremist Tommy Robinson to quit as head of the violence-prone English Defence League, trumpeting his departure at a press conference. But Robinson later said Quilliam had paid him some 8,000 British pounds to allow Nawaz to take credit for what he already planned to do. Shortly afterward, Robinson returned to anti-Muslim agitation with other groups.

IN HIS OWN WORDS.

In the list sent to a top British security official in 2010, headlined “Preventing Terrorism: Where Next for Britain?” Quilliam wrote, “The ideology of non-violent Islamists is broadly the same as that of violent Islamists; they disagree only on tactics.” An official with Scotland Yard’s Muslim Contact Unit told The Guardian that “[t]he list demonises a whole range of groups that in my experience have made valuable contributions to counter-terrorism.”

In a Nov. 16, 2013, op-ed in the Daily Mail, Nawaz called for criminalizing the wearing of the veil, or niqab, in many public places, saying: “It is not only reasonable, but our duty to insist individuals remove the veil when they enter identity-sensitive environments such as banks, airports, courts and schools.”

According to a Jan. 24, 2014, report in The Guardian, Nawaz tweeted out a cartoon of Jesus and Muhammad — despite the fact that many Muslims see it as blasphemous to draw Muhammad. He said that he wanted “to carve out a space to be heard without constantly fearing the blasphemy charge.”

Nawaz, who had described himself as a “feminist,” was “filmed repeatedly trying to touch a naked lap dancer,” according to an April 10, 2015, report in the Daily Mail. The paper apparently got the security film from the owner of a strip club who was incensed by Nawaz’s claims to be a religious Muslim.

READ  THAT.,  , in this Amercan election times.,  these idiots are playing in to the hands of AMERICAN DUMP

I will avoid generalising about the liberal left since I am myself a liberal leftist, but FFS many really need to start to being more nuanced and discerning when it comes to separating the real bigots from reformers & critics who have every right to critique Islam!!

YOU ARE NOT LIBERAL LEFTIIE .,  you are liberal westie.,  born in west .

Liberal left all over the globe from west   left their seashore loong ago when it comes  to facts about  faiths.   Exceptions to that statements are    THOSE LIBERAL LEFT  THAT  LIVE IN SO-CALLED ISLAMIC NATIONS  and they are Muslim folks ., Often either they were jailed or they become target practice to state apparatus    such as in countries like Land of pure ,  Sand land  or or  they disappear from the face of earth without address

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #2 - October 29, 2016, 01:15 PM

After starting the Quilliam Foundation, which he describes as an anti-extremism think tank, Nawaz sent a secret list to a top British security official that accused “peaceful Muslim groups, politicians, a television channel and a Scotland Yard unit of sharing the ideology of terrorists,” according to The Guardian. His Quilliam Foundation received more than 1.25 million pounds from the British government, but the government eventually decided to stop funding it. One of Nawaz’s biggest purported coups was getting anti-Muslim extremist Tommy Robinson to quit as head of the violence-prone English Defence League, trumpeting his departure at a press conference. But Robinson later said Quilliam had paid him some 8,000 British pounds to allow Nawaz to take credit for what he already planned to do. Shortly afterward, Robinson returned to anti-Muslim agitation with other groups.

I found this troubling, but no I don't think Maajid is an Islamophobe.

"Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well."
    - Robert Louis Stevenson
     Reply #3 - October 29, 2016, 01:18 PM

Relevant thread

"Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well."
    - Robert Louis Stevenson
     Reply #4 - October 29, 2016, 02:22 PM

that's a bit worrying. I didn't know about the funding of Nawaz or quilliam paying tommy robinson.

Reply #5 - October 29, 2016, 06:01 PM

There's a wider critique to be made of activists turning their activism into a career, accepting funding from the state, aiming for political positions and so on. All this does deserve challenging, but for the right reasons. Many on the left seem to find it easier just to set up straw man arguments against things that people aren't really doing or saying.
     Reply #6 - October 29, 2016, 06:37 PM

I agree^ and one of the things that always put me off HT back in the day was that they were more interested in politics and political power than any genuine religiosity. They were slick and media savvy and talked like politicians. For a person like myself who was more spiritually inclined and definitely not a polished slick person it was a turn off. They seemed soulless.
     Reply #7 - October 30, 2016, 01:31 AM

^

Its also an age thing. If you were past your twenties when HuT came on the scene it makes sense why you were not attracted to them.

Its in our early twenties that we try to figure out what political causes we want to devote our efforts towards so a naive young confused guy going through an identity crisis could easily get caught up in their rhetoric.

By the time you hit 30 your usually past the age of being easily recruited to an ideology.

In my opinion a life without curiosity is not a life worth living
     Reply #8 - October 30, 2016, 12:57 PM

Uh.. not to be too anecdotal or anything, but I was in my mid-teens when I first encountered HT, and I don't think I was alone in my age group in giving them a wide berth. Perhaps it was the inherent contradiction of an ostensible party of liberation giving out leaflets about why 'Freedom' was a bad thing, but it could've just been that the guys I encountered were dicks with less charisma than a shat noodle.
     Reply #9 - October 30, 2016, 01:00 PM

There were a lot of dicks in HT it has to be said.
     Reply #10 - October 30, 2016, 04:11 PM

A response from Maajid Nawaz: http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/10/29/i-m-a-muslim-reformer-why-am-i-being-smeared-as-an-anti-muslim-extremist.html
     Reply #11 - October 30, 2016, 08:03 PM

I support Majid Nawaz. Does that make me an anti-Muslim bigot too? I will avoid generalising about the liberal left since I am myself a liberal leftist, but FFS many really need to start to being more nuanced and discerning when it comes to separating the real bigots from reformers & critics who have every right to critique Islam!!

Such tripe comes from concern over one group view points with complete disregard for how such an argument can be used by anyone. It also absolve people of responsibility of their own choices thus entertains view which they choose to follow as if everyone must accept this, it doesn't. You have a view, I accept you have a view. This does not mean I accept the view.

Examples

To hold any other view of Christ as not God is blasphemy thus to support it in public is offense and bigotry. No longer can any Muslim talk nor provide material supporting blasphemy otherwise they are bigots. Christians are offended.

No theist can publicly speak nor provide mater about atheists in any manner lest I find it offensive. If they do they are bigots. Atheists are offended

Need I go on?

Again people need to grow up and realize that people do make choices in their lives but not all these choices merit consideration by the public nor state. Take the kid gloves off. I am sure I have offended someone already. Get over it  Wink
     Reply #12 - October 30, 2016, 08:23 PM

I was once a member of a US Phil Ochs appreciation group that fought social injustice and racism against Muslims amongst other things. When I said I was an ex Muslim I was banned. Go figure... as they say in the US.
     Reply #13 - October 30, 2016, 09:06 PM

That's nuts. To me that is invaliding all your contribution and experiences merely based on rejection of a religious claim while the group is targeting social injustices. That is mind boggling.. 
     Reply #14 - October 31, 2016, 12:26 PM

Hassan  says  ............. I said I was an ex Muslim I was banned. ..........  

lol..   that is funny and bogart says this

That's nuts. To me that is invaliding all your contribution and experiences merely based on rejection of a religious claim while the group is targeting social injustices. That is mind boggling..  

No... that is not  mind boggling.,  I  think in their view they did the right thing .,  

Clearly the tag "EX_MUSLIM"  is an insult as well as lighting flames  under Islam and under Muslim folks.   By  putting that tag "HASSAN IS  NOT ONLY INSULTING FOLKS BUT HE IS DOING SOCIAL INJUSTICE TO MUSLIMS AND ISLAM"  

finmad   hence he deserves to be banned

lucky he was only banned in AMRIKA  and  I am sure you all know what will happen to ex-Muslim  in some countries .

Reply #15 - October 31, 2016, 04:51 PM

Ex-Muslim does not suggest anything more than not following Islam anymore. These people had a knee-jerk reaction since Muslims object to the label as they load baggage on to it. Yet they have no issues if the person is atheist, agnostic, Hindu, Christian, etc. Every Christian thinks Islam is a false religion by definition of being Christian. Yet they are not being banned.
     Reply #16 - November 01, 2016, 09:45 PM

They were worried it would upset Muslims
     Reply #17 - November 01, 2016, 11:46 PM

They were worried it would upset Muslims

Hypocritical and not surprising.
     Reply #18 - November 02, 2016, 03:24 AM

Uh.. not to be too anecdotal or anything, but I was in my mid-teens when I first encountered HT, and I don't think I was alone in my age group in giving them a wide berth. Perhaps it was the inherent contradiction of an ostensible party of liberation giving out leaflets about why 'Freedom' was a bad thing, but it could've just been that the guys I encountered were dicks with less charisma than a shat noodle.

I didn't mean to imply all young muslim guys would be attracted to HuT.

Just that people in teens and early twenties are far more easier to recruit than older people.

In my opinion a life without curiosity is not a life worth living
     Reply #19 - November 02, 2016, 01:40 PM

SPLC receives backlash after placing activist Maajid Nawaz on ‘anti-Muslim extremist’ list  says news

Rascals...   finmad   ex-muslim extremists are making troubles all over internet ......

Reply #20 - November 02, 2016, 02:18 PM

majid nawaz is trying everything he could in his own capacity but there is no outcome that will turn out
     Reply #21 - November 03, 2016, 11:25 AM

majid nawaz is trying everything he could in his own capacity but there is no outcome that will turn out

well if we don't even try.,   forget outcome  people don't even talk about out comes  or scared to talk.    Trying our best is the first step Aftab  and Mazid  is doing his best ...

• 1« Previous thread | Next thread »