Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Yesterday at 08:44 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
Yesterday at 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Yesterday at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 18, 2024, 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: How Islamophobes Weaponize Pork

(Read 2047 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • How Islamophobes Weaponize Pork
     OP - October 14, 2016, 03:21 AM

On Friday, one of America's most prominent Muslim advocacy groups called for state and federal probes of Gurley, Alabama, police chief Barry Pendergraft in response to two of his recent Facebook posts. In a video from September 23, Pendergraft showed himself handling bullets covered in bacon grease. A few days later, he added a photo of a box of what he claimed were thousands of pork-coated rounds. Although Pendergraft's posts did not mention why he was fooling around with bullets coated in pig fat, the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) interpreted them as a sign of blatant Islamophobia on part of a law enforcement official.

To some, the council's reaction to the chief's posts might seem like a knee-jerk cry of prejudice. For his part, Pendergraft told the New York Daily News that he was baffled by the council's reaction, saying the video and photo had nothing to do with religion whatsoever, while declining to explain why he ordered the bullets. But interpreting these posts as potentially bigoted is hardly farfetched: Throughout history, people have deliberately used pig products to denigrate Islam and Muslims. In particular, over the past 15 years since the 9/11 terror attacks, swine-based hate crimes and intimidation have been a fixture in the West—so much so that we've seen the emergence of the (false) belief that pork is to Muslims as garlic or a crucifix is to vampires. And if the history of literally boarish Islamophobic incidents is any sign, we're poised to see more porcine hate—including the sale of pork-laced anti-Muslim bullets, which is somehow already an actual thing—in the near future.

Like strictly observant Jews, devout Muslims do not eat pork thanks to a direct scriptural prohibition. Majority groups or oppressors have long used impure foods to intimidate or disgrace the faithful of any out group faith—the Romans, for example, reportedly forced Christians to drink wine they'd offered as a tribute to the pagan god of the vine, Bacchus, making it impure in the eyes of early believers in Jesus. But pork has been an especially common tool of hate, used frequently against Jews, and sometimes as a handy double-whammy against Jews and Muslims in Europe.

http://www.vice.com/read/pork-hate-crimes-muslims-islamophobia

"Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well."
    - Robert Louis Stevenson
     Reply #1 - October 14, 2016, 03:30 AM

If they want to call "taking pictures of Quran with pork" as Islamophobia, then they should remove of all verses from Quran/hadiths that have any anti-nonmuslim content.

The death threats, hell tortures, anti-women verses, all of it.
     Reply #2 - October 14, 2016, 12:44 PM

Given that this person is a member of the police force the acts are of concern as his bigotry can easily comprise his ability as an officer of the law. The police within the USA already have a bad reputation in the eye's of some people. I do not see it as unreasonable to be bring this person's views to light to the general population and question if such a person should hold a position of power.

Religions are provided immunity from such scrutiny as it would cause more problems than it would resolve. It is a comprise made for the sake of stability in diverse societies. Priorities on acts rather than strictly ideas and words are a better use oftime and resources. After all if we were all held legally accountable for the ideas we hold and the stupid things we have said most of humanity would be in trouble in this era of databases and global communication systems.
     Reply #3 - October 14, 2016, 01:01 PM

Given that this person is a member of the police force the acts are of concern as his bigotry can easily comprise his ability as an officer of the law. The police within the USA already have a bad reputation in the eye's of some people. I do not see it as unreasonable to be bring this person's views to light to the general population and question if such a person should hold a position of power.

hello bogart  I agree most of what you said if not all  because that guy's post/position from tax payers funds  but the part below is bit confusing .. could you clarify a bit on these points

1). Religions are provided immunity from such scrutiny as it would cause more problems than it would resolve. It is a comprise made for the sake of stability in diverse societies.

You call them religions   I call them faiths of faith heads.,

Anyway .. so   should we/ the society have such immunity scrutinizing faiths and faith heads for ever for the existing faiths and the faiths that may come in the future ?  and when should the society or a person should oppose the stupidity of these  faiths?

Priorities on acts rather than strictly ideas and words are a better use oftime and resources.

I just don't get that point .. what does it mean?

After all if we were all held legally accountable for the ideas we hold and the stupid things we have said most of humanity would be in trouble in this era of databases and global communication systems.

So how do we solve that problem?   should we erase all the  data bases on the history  of all faiths and start new?

https://www.good.is/contributors/mark-hay

with best regards
    yeezevee

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #4 - October 15, 2016, 01:42 AM

Some religions contain horrible views regarding those that do not believe or groups that were opposed for whatever reason. It can be within scripture or commentary by it's scholars. If we were to hold such views accountable by considering it hate speech it would causes a lot of problems within society.

Having a priority on acts, hate crimes rather than thought, we wouldn't be wasting time going after everyone with an opinion or view from a religion.

The solution to the problem was the immunity of religions by law
     Reply #5 - October 15, 2016, 02:47 AM

Priorities on acts rather than strictly ideas and words are a better use oftime and resources.

Except when those ideas influence people's behaviour...

The solution to the problem was the immunity of religions by law

And this is how we get bigoted religions in position of power. There are religions that are quite peaceful and have much less violence in their scripture. But we keep giving free pass to homophobia, sexism and bigotry from religions who demand it.

This way, bigoted religions will always win because they can freely torment people and backpedal fast enough when violence does happen. Telling people that they will be tortured/burned in hell simply for being atheists should be a hate speech. If atheists say religious people should be tortured and burned (without actually burning them, teehee!) it'd be a hate speech and you know it. The "new atheists" only go as far as calling religious people stupid and people already think that they're arrogant, while giving free pass on religious graphic torture descriptions.

"It's okay to hold racist views as long as you don't act racist!" We know it's not going to work. I mean, we have some racists coming to this forum and you're all disgusted.
     Reply #6 - October 16, 2016, 12:13 PM

Except when those ideas influence people's behaviour...

Sure, I can't argue about this. However making an idea illegal is nonsense. Making the source of an idea illegal is nonsense. Also keep in mind how easily it would be to attack not only Islam but fundamental Protestant and Catholic Christianity for it's views about women.

And this is how we get bigoted religions in position of power. There are religions that are quite peaceful and have much less violence in their scripture. But we keep giving free pass to homophobia, sexism and bigotry from religions who demand it.

We have had religious bigots in power for all of recorded history. The immunity did nothing to change this. It is the freedom to criticize views that has changed the relationship between religion, state and citizens. We all should be aware to the possibility that we to can go to far in using the power of the state in quest for social justice by branding ideas as thought crimes. We have to accept that people hold shit ideas as a balance to people holding ideas we find acceptable.

This way, bigoted religions will always win because they can freely torment people and backpedal fast enough when violence does happen. Telling people that they will be tortured/burned in hell simply for being atheists should be a hate speech.

I agree that there are shit ideas. I agree that there is a lot of hate speech in scripture. However I must acknowledge that the majority of humanity follow religions which contain shit ideas and hate speech but would fight tooth and nail to protect their faith. History is evident of this in religion and state conflicts. I must also acknowledge that for many people the concept of God makes right and the idea of laws (ethics, morality, etc) from God dictates their view points. For these people they are not capable of understanding a different view point.

If atheists say religious people should be tortured and burned (without actually burning them, teehee!) it'd be a hate speech and you know it. The "new atheists" only go as far as calling religious people stupid and people already think that they're arrogant, while giving free pass on religious graphic torture descriptions.

Again I agree but as per the above I still include a different view point in which I accept that shit ideas must be free to exist.

"It's okay to hold racist views as long as you don't act racist!" We know it's not going to work. I mean, we have some racists coming to this forum and you're all disgusted.

I am talking about the legal system and state power as a tool to use against shit ideas. I am not against the freedom to criticize ideas, that people are not free to hold shit ideas nor the suppression of shit ideas wholesale. We can point out there are shit ideas, argue against these ideas but I draw a line at using the legal system and state power to suppress ideas.

I think you have projected a positive result of secularism and freedom of thought into the past as a goal of both. Both were developed to deprive citizens from using the government to suppress rival view points and idea thus protect their own view points if the political tides changed. Again history is evident of abuses of government when those in power changed views or membership changed bring new ideas into power. To prevent governments from suppressing criticism from it's citizens and punishing them for voicing criticism. 
     Reply #7 - October 16, 2016, 01:38 PM

Fair enough, I agree. Just thought that religions should be viewed in the same pedestal we view every other non-religious ideas.

The article was about Islamophobia of pork threats, so I figure that they should be held to the same standards they want to hold other people to.
     Reply #8 - October 17, 2016, 02:04 AM

Fair enough, I agree. Just thought that religions should be viewed in the same pedestal we view every other non-religious ideas.

I wish it could happen as it would force people to look at their own religion outside their own prospective. Sadly violence would be the result more often than not when the state is involved.

The article was about Islamophobia of pork threats, so I figure that they should be held to the same standards they want to hold other people to.

Yes people will have a blind spot when it comes to their own rhetoric especially when it is "from God"
     Reply #9 - October 17, 2016, 12:39 PM

Isn't this a replay of the Indian Mutiny, in which the use of pork and beef grease in guns caused problems?

I would like to generalise this discussion, why are certain things unclean?

I cant see it is related at all to alleged hygiene experiences, but would assert it is more to do with some individuals having obsessive compulsive reactions to somethings, that then became cultural norms - habitus.

When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.

A.A. Milne,

"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
     Reply #10 - October 17, 2016, 12:47 PM

I cant see it is related at all to alleged hygiene experiences, but would assert it is more to do with some individuals having obsessive compulsive reactions to somethings, that then became cultural norms - habitus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AJU49PpHqo

This Is Your Brain On Religion: Neurotheology:

Religion and the brain  from   aljazeera.com

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlauUdWlNDc

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #11 - October 17, 2016, 04:45 PM

If the cop said he was going to rub his bullets with fried chicken and grits or dark chocolate and fine wine would it be just silly or racist in that he had some bias towards some particular race or religious group? and wanted to target them with his magically treated bullets? 

I think black lives matter have a better case statistically.

The unreligion, only one calorie
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »