Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Yesterday at 08:44 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
Yesterday at 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Yesterday at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 18, 2024, 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: New Atheism

(Read 1972 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • New Atheism
     OP - September 27, 2016, 06:49 PM

How does one keep an ex-Muslim identity while remaining distant from New Atheism?

I went through an identity crisis for a year and found myself mixed up with New Atheists quite a lot, as a result. The reasons why I dislike their ideology is that it resembles a religion very much, and I did not leave one religion to join another. Moreover, I found a lot of them to be smug, condescending and self-congratulatory, and not just to religious people but to ex-Muslims as well. For an example: if an ex-Muslim disagreed with their world view, they would often suggest that we are still indoctrinated to a degree. Someone who is struggling with their identity and change of beliefs (as I was) may well end up starting to believe that that is the truth. It is a very hypocritical stance for those who claim to be champions for freedom of thought and expression. I often tried to convince myself that the New Atheism worldview was the correct one, and that I was still being affected by religious dogma somewhat, however it didn't sit right at all. It feels as though this is the only ex-Muslim website that I'm aware of that has various and diverse opinions and isn't just an echo chamber for New Atheism.

I became comfortable identifying as an Agnostic only, as opposed to an ex-Muslim but does it need to be this way?
  • New Atheism
     Reply #1 - September 27, 2016, 08:56 PM

........The reasons why I dislike their ideology is that it resembles a religion very much, and I did not leave one religion to join another. Moreover, I found a lot of them to be smug, condescending and self-congratulatory, and not just to religious people but to ex-Muslims as wel............

All that is nothing to do with atheism dear AGD., it is individual personality and how they grew up .,   Though they may be atheists w.r.t all existing faiths  but they lack commonsense, empathy, sympathy..compassion .. and humaneness ..etc..etc...

And I say those atheists who are NOT comfortable with ideas of Agnostics and agnosticism of any faith can  not be called as "Atheist" ..

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

• New Atheism
     Reply #2 - September 28, 2016, 06:29 AM

I'm curious, what "New Atheism" thing that you don't agree with, that when you told them about it they think that it's because you're still brainwashed?

"Brainwashing" is just a label, technically we are all brainwashed at something. Even the most rational person would still have something they follow blindly... Atheists from secular country will have different ideas compared to atheists from Catholic countries / Islamic countries.

Usually, for me I think about the matter a lot and think about the reasons (actual reasons, with facts backing it up) why I feel that way. If you actually have facts backing your opinion, then you shouldn't feel like you're being brainwashed. In discussion, bring up the facts.
  • New Atheism
     Reply #3 - September 28, 2016, 01:42 PM

Nice to see you back girl.

I've had a few run ins with some smug athiests. I find them no different to the religious lot they're always laughing at. they are so sure of themselves and they can be aggressive as well.... frightening.

with regards identity.....well I'm in no hurry to put myself in any group. I still write muslim down on forms because its easier. but human being is a good identity I think.
  • New Atheism
     Reply #4 - September 30, 2016, 05:34 PM

All that is nothing to do with atheism dear AGD., it is individual personality and how they grew up .,   Though they may be atheists w.r.t all existing faiths  but they lack commonsense, empathy, sympathy..compassion .. and humaneness ..etc..etc...

And I say those atheists who are NOT comfortable with ideas of Agnostics and agnosticism of any faith can  not be called as "Atheist" ..

You misunderstand me, dear Yeezevee. I am not referring to Atheist as a whole but rather a small faction of them, known as "New Atheists.
  • New Atheism
     Reply #5 - September 30, 2016, 05:47 PM

I'm curious, what "New Atheism" thing that you don't agree with, that when you told them about it they think that it's because you're still brainwashed?

"Brainwashing" is just a label, technically we are all brainwashed at something. Even the most rational person would still have something they follow blindly... Atheists from secular country will have different ideas compared to atheists from Catholic countries / Islamic countries.

Usually, for me I think about the matter a lot and think about the reasons (actual reasons, with facts backing it up) why I feel that way. If you actually have facts backing your opinion, then you shouldn't feel like you're being brainwashed. In discussion, bring up the facts.

I am talking about those who simply regurgitate what they have read in a book written by Sam Harris, Christopher Hitchens or whichever other Anti-theist they like to quote. It's one thing to admire someone and agree with them most of the time, it's another to take everything that they say as gospel. The same way that some Muslims have the mentality of "if you say XYZ, it means that you're religious", that have the mentality that "if you say XYZ, it means that you're smart".

They are forever patting each other on  the back for realising that religion is nonsense. OK, so you know that it's all indoctrination, good for you. It doesn't mean that everyone else is stupid and that you are necessarily more intelligent than the average person, especially since you have joined another religion without even realising it. (sorry for the rant Tongue)

The comparison that you made between Atheists in secular countries and those in Islamic/Catholic countries is true. I have found a lot more mutual understanding between myself and the latter as opposed to the former. I guess that the way they view things is much less simplistic, since they were raised surrounded by religious indoctrination. However, there are still quite a few Atheists in secular countries who are not New Atheists.

We are all brainwashed in one way or another, but certain people will acknowledge this and work on educating themselves while others will not.
  • New Atheism
     Reply #6 - September 30, 2016, 05:51 PM

Nice to see you back girl.

I've had a few run ins with some smug athiests. I find them no different to the religious lot they're always laughing at. they are so sure of themselves and they can be aggressive as well.... frightening.

with regards identity.....well I'm in no hurry to put myself in any group. I still write muslim down on forms because its easier. but human being is a good identity I think.

Thanks Babooshka Smiley

I get along splendidly with many Atheists, however I find myself at loggerheads with New Atheists very often. They are still part of a group which harbours certain beliefs which they need to conform to, I don't know why people would subject themselves to that. I also don't like how some attempt to use ex-Muslims to validate their standpoints. It feels like it's hard to escape from them while being an ex-Muslim, because the movement seems to attract them like honey attracts flies.
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »