Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: 37 linguistic miracles

(Read 3744 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • 37 linguistic miracles
     OP - September 20, 2016, 11:26 AM

Hi All,

Could someone who knows more than me explain some of these miracles? The words meaning the same back and forward for example and the letters rotating around another letter when mentioning about the planets orbiting the sun? I obviously don't speak Arabic and this video refers to how when spoken things like that are impossible. Here is the link

https://youtu.be/j-ULa2JzPG0

• 37 linguistic miracles
     Reply #1 - September 21, 2016, 04:40 PM

I briefly looked at the orbiting one.  Basically he takes Q 36:40:

lā l-shamsu yanbaghī lahā an tud'rika l-qamara walā al-laylu sābiqu l-nahāri wakullun fī falakin yasbaḥūna.

Translated into English, 'It behooves not the sun to overtake the moon, neither does the night outstrip the day, each swimming in a sky."

Why is this miraculous for him?  Well, if you look at the spelling of one small part of the verse, "wakull(un) fī falak(in)," and delete its vocalization with the case endings and the doubled l consonant, then you can reduce the spelling of the phrase to the underlying bare letters of the rasm, essentially wkl fy flk.  Now, if you then also delete the w from wakullun, you are left with kl fy flk, vocalized in Classical Arabic as kullun fī falakin.  As he points out, the bare letters which spell this phrase are k-l-f-y-f-l-k.  So the six letters are symmetrically arranged around the y, like a palindrome.  And you know what else is symmetrical?  Planets rotating in their orbits around the sun.  Miracle.

But a couple problems leap out immediately.  First, the verse doesn't actually talk about planets rotating around anything.  It talks instead about the sun and moon 'swimming in the sky' around the Earth; he cheats by saying "Allah is talking about heavenly bodies, right?" as if this is close enough to be talking about planets.  This is like saying "Lions are animals, and fish are also animals, so when Allah says lion, he pretty much means animals, and that includes fish, right?"  No, not right.  The Qur'an here describes the sun and moon as floating in orbits around the Earth, which not only conflicts with his argument about the text, it's also a blatant scientific error.  Second, the letter that is supposedly 'rotated' around in k-l-f-y-f-l-k is 'y,' which is just one of the two letters in the word fy (you could call it a ligature since it is usually written as a combined character), read as fi, meaning "in."  He splits off the other letter from this letter and sticks it on the word k-l, to make k-l-f.  Now, it does not make any sense to say something rotates around the word "in," and much less does it make sense to say it rotates around one specific letter taken from that word, "n".  In English translation, the equivalent phrase would be "all [kl] in [fy] orbit [flk]."  To make this symmetrical, he then breaks the words up into letters, equivalent to "all-i [k-l-f], n[y], orbit[f-l-k]."  Then we are supposed to marvel that the letters spelling words that mean "all-i" and "orbit" are symmetrical around the letter "n", just as "klf" and "flk" rotate around "y."  Miracle!  For is it not a marvelous truth that "all-i" and "orbit" float around "n"?  Third, these letters don't say anything about rotating -- that he gets from the last word in the verse, yasbaḥūna, and that word doesn't mean rotating either as he claims, it means swimming/floating/gliding, used in the verse to refer to the sun and moon floating/gliding around the Earth without colliding.  That is why you will see, in all seven translations below, yasbaḥūna is always rendered as either swimming or floating, which is what it means--not rotating.

http://corpus.quran.com/translation.jsp?chapter=36&verse=40

If you keep cheating at every level like he does, your cheats will quickly stack on each other, until you can succeed at finding leprechauns in your breakfast cereal.  The problem is that they're not real.  Also, you are a cheater.
  • 37 linguistic miracles
     Reply #2 - September 21, 2016, 04:46 PM

Afro
  • 37 linguistic miracles
     Reply #3 - September 22, 2016, 03:52 AM

If you keep cheating at every level like he does, your cheats will quickly stack on each other, until you can succeed at finding leprechauns in your breakfast cereal.  The problem is that they're not real.  Also, you are a cheater.

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

My sides, they are gone.  Cheesy Cheesy
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »