Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Today at 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Agnostic Muslim is an Oxymoron

(Read 3631 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Agnostic Muslim is an Oxymoron
     OP - September 18, 2016, 09:43 AM

I get told time and time again:

"You cannot be an Agnostic Muslim - it's a contradiction/oxymoron"

So here is my standard answer that from now on I will just copy and paste each time I'm asked this.

Agnostic means "no knowledge" (from Ancient Greek ἀ- (a-), meaning "without", and γνῶσις (gnōsis), meaning "knowledge"). It doesn't exclude belief. One can *believe* there is a God while admitting they don't *know* for certain. There are many Agnostic Christians, Jews, Theists and Deists of all sorts. See the article below for a fuller explanation:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agnostic_theism

It's true there are not many Agnostic Muslims and many Muslims argue that one must be *certain* and Islam doesn't allow believers to have any doubts. But obviously I don't accept that view and challenge it. For me religion must evolve and change. So whatever the classical position may or may not have been, I believe in changing and reforming it.

Here Shabir Ally explains how one can be an Agnostic Muslim:

https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=u44kBAqdEOI

And this video I made explains my personal position a little more.

https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=wSiCHF8WUY8
     Reply #1 - September 18, 2016, 02:35 PM

If I can be an unmuslim then for sure you can be an agnostic muslim or agnostic exmuslim.  Your choice.  Fine with me. 

The unreligion, only one calorie
     Reply #2 - September 18, 2016, 02:44 PM

"You cannot be an Agnostic Muslim - it's a contradiction/oxymoron"

So what if the labels are (seemingly) contradictory? You can be anything you want to be. I can be a Rastafari Muslim or a Satanist Muslim.

"Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well."
    - Robert Louis Stevenson
     Reply #3 - September 18, 2016, 03:06 PM

If I can be an unmuslim then for sure you can be an agnostic muslim or agnostic exmuslim.  Your choice.  Fine with me.  

Hmm,.,Noise

Everything is fine with you Bee.,  you see  agnostic Muslim has a meaning., more importantly there is a wonderful reason behind that idea ..

What is your unmuslim idea? what does it mean?  It is not even a word..

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #4 - September 19, 2016, 01:53 AM

Hey Hassan!

Skeptick Sal
     Reply #5 - September 19, 2016, 04:35 AM

well  let me read the comments under this link

Reply #6 - September 19, 2016, 12:27 PM

hey hassan good to see u bro
     Reply #7 - September 19, 2016, 03:54 PM

Hey guys  Afro
     Reply #8 - September 19, 2016, 03:55 PM

Further clarification:

I believe all religions are man made. I'm Agnostic about God. That means I don't know if there is a God or not but I believe there is *something* beyond this world. I choose to call that *something* God. As for all the prophets and holy books, I believe they are all man-made. That doesn't mean I think Muhammad or Jesus or Moses (or whoever authored the words attributed to them) intentionally lied or misled people. I think they genuinely believed God inspired them. But I believe it was their own thoughts and meditations. In other words they felt inspired and motivated by a higher power in the way many humans have to a greater or lesser extent throughout the ages. But it is not God inspiring man but man feeling inspired by his own thoughts and meditations and the world around him/her and then speaking for God. Inspired in the way artists, musician, poets, engineers, political leaders and all humans are inspired in one way or another. It is inspiration in a very human and fallible sense and obviously inextricably tied to fallible human understanding and time-bound context.
     Reply #9 - September 19, 2016, 04:05 PM

#RastafariMuslim
    جاه#
     Reply #10 - September 19, 2016, 04:11 PM

Afro
     Reply #11 - September 19, 2016, 05:22 PM

Hmm.,Let me read them as  points1 ...2...3.
    Further clarification:

1). ....I'm Agnostic about God. That means I don't know if there is a God or not but I believe there is *something* beyond this world. I choose to call that *something* God.

2).  As for all the prophets and holy books, I believe they are all man-made. That doesn't mean I think Muhammad or Jesus or Moses (or whoever authored the words attributed to them) intentionally lied or misled people. I think they genuinely believed God inspired them. But I believe it was their own thoughts and meditations.

3).  In other words they felt inspired and motivated by a higher power in the way many humans have to a greater or lesser extent throughout the ages. But it is not God inspiring man but man feeling inspired by his own thoughts and meditations and the world around him/her and then speaking for God.

4). Inspired in the way artists, musician, poets, engineers, political leaders and all humans are inspired in one way or another. It is inspiration in a very human and fallible sense and obviously inextricably tied to fallible human understanding and time-bound context.

Oh I see., That is what it  is .. that is what it means....

that is what Agnostic god dude does.,..

No...nooooo  you stupid you are not reading properly....

..That is what human being thinks that agnostic god does through  the human brain..Huh?

is that right.??  

Nah ....  forget fucking god .,   

And FOOOL  stop pulling hair ., well better stop it.,   I am going to loose my hair on my head which are more important than that god dude..

Oh boy.. I am still pulling my hair  on those 3 and 4.,    by the time i understand them I am  sure I am going to be completely hairless bald freak ....

Well the news on the screen pops up.,

It  says  at  http://www.dawn.com/news/1284669/tortured-by-stepmother-minor-girl-dies-in-hospitalsays

Tortured by stepmother, 6 year old minor girl dies in hospital

ABBOTTABAD: A girl died at Ayub Teaching Hospital here on Sunday morning due to an infection, which was caused to her body after her stepmother inserted 20 sewing needles in her abdomen and arms in Hazro area of Attock during Eid days.

The girl, 6, was shifted to Ayub Teaching Hospital Abbottabad by her uncle and grandfather in critical condition.

According to deputy medical superintendent Dr Fazal Manan, due to infection in her whole body the patient was not in a position to be operated upon to remove sewing needles from her body. He said she was put on a ventilator with multiple medication problems and tried their best to save her life, but she could not survive.

The girl, a resident of Khawajgan locality in Mansehra, was with her father who works in Hazro. But, her stepmother beat up the girl and inserted sewing needles in her abdomen and arms.

The victim’s mother was divorced a few years back, and the girl was looked after by her uncle and grandfather. Four months back she was taken away by his father and her stepmother to Hazro. Abbottabad police have sent a request to the Attock police for arrest of the accused woman and her father. However, the latter denied receiving the request.  

Well that is the news  it is just 1hr old.,   I am sure around the globe I can find millions of children like that who were/are tortured by their own parents or step father/mothers ...and..and died..dying.

So sometimes I wonder whether this Agno god Agro god..whatever god inspires  grown up brutal rogues to do what they do to children??  

This   Agno god... Agro god.  can not do anything??

I don't know but  such inspiration from  god/agno god/fucking god terrifies me..  Oh well life .. it is life.,  it has to go away one day .. I CAN NOT CRY FOR YOU CHILD ..  I wish someone could have  taken her away from such stepmother

Reply #12 - September 19, 2016, 05:34 PM

Yeezy - you're such a loony tune!
     Reply #13 - September 19, 2016, 10:09 PM

her stepmother inserted 20 sewing needles in her abdomen and arms

Cry finmad finmad finmad

mysmilie_977
     Reply #14 - September 24, 2016, 02:09 AM

Well done Hassan for always remaining so calm after being asked that question over and over again! Smiley

Skeptick Sal
     Reply #15 - September 24, 2016, 11:41 AM

Hahaha thanks desouled but I do get very irritated  sometimes
     Reply #16 - September 24, 2016, 11:42 AM

Actually Agnostic Muslim is gradually becoming a *thing* I'm pleased to say Smiley
     Reply #17 - September 24, 2016, 01:56 PM

Actually Agnostic Muslim is gradually becoming a *thing*  

Hmm.. Thing??  a  thing??.,   I think .."thing"   ..." A thing"   ....or Any "thing??"   MUST BE TAXED    finmad

As a philosopher, if I were speaking to a purely philosophic audience I should say that I ought to describe myself as an Agnostic, because I do not think that there is a conclusive argument by which one can prove that there is not a God.

On the other hand, if I am to convey the right impression to the ordinary man in the street I think I ought to say that I am an Atheist, because when I say that I cannot prove that there is not a God, I ought to add equally that I cannot prove that there are not the Homeric gods.

that is from an English guy ..

Reply #18 - September 27, 2016, 07:37 PM

Hahaha thanks desouled but I do get very irritated  sometimes

Btw not sure if my signature shows up here but I'm Sceptick from FB so I know just how many times this question is asked.  I could never be as patient as you are with some of the people who appear on your timeline! Afro

Skeptick Sal
     Reply #19 - September 28, 2016, 11:53 AM

Oh hi Sceptick  Afro
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »