Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 07:25 AM

New Britain
Today at 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Children of immigrants

(Read 6253 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Children of immigrants
     OP - September 05, 2016, 06:32 PM

Children of immigrants.  What are your stories? 

What values do your parents hold that really make integration difficult?  Did you over come them?  What do your appreciate that was brought from the old country? 

The unreligion, only one calorie
  • Children of immigrants
     Reply #1 - September 05, 2016, 06:43 PM

What about if we're immigrants?
  • Children of immigrants
     Reply #2 - September 05, 2016, 06:53 PM

I immigrated from Pakistan to the US with my family when I was young.

What makes integration difficult is an 'us vs. them' mentality, as evidenced by the belief that Muslims are culturally and morally superior to non-Muslims and racial antipathy towards 'goras' and 'kalas'.

I can't honestly say I appreciate much from the old country besides the good food.

"Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well."
    - Robert Louis Stevenson
  • Children of immigrants
     Reply #3 - September 05, 2016, 07:01 PM

I think a big part of the feelings of resentment ex-Muslims face towards their own culture is the way their parents and community defines it for them. I definitely had a lot of resentment, but once I had the freedom to relate to my culture the way I wanted to, I started really missing a lot of things and trying to connect with it in a way I had never done before.
  • Children of immigrants
     Reply #4 - September 05, 2016, 08:22 PM

I wouldn't say I resent my own culture, but I do recognize that it has its problems, not unlike other cultures.

- Robert Louis Stevenson
  • Children of immigrants
     Reply #5 - September 05, 2016, 10:11 PM

-What values do your parents hold that really make integration difficult?

The values that a person should be judged by his or her character and not race or religion. Sadly I found some who judged me by my race and religion and have been discriminated against and called names like dirty Arab and a Taqiyya Tactician

-Did you over come them?

I'm doing my best.

What do your appreciate that was brought from the old country?

Hummus.
  • Children of immigrants
     Reply #6 - September 06, 2016, 01:14 AM

Hassan, how was the value that people should be judged based solely on their actions and not religion/ethnicity an obstacle to 'integrating' in the UK? Obviously that's a value shared by secular, democratic countries with due process. If anything, the difficulty you faced was due to bigots' rejection of that value. So did you change your mind?

I know you, so I already know the answer to that question, but I thought I'd let you know I found your reply to this thread to be confusing. Tongue

- Robert Louis Stevenson
  • Children of immigrants
     Reply #7 - September 06, 2016, 01:19 AM

Honestly, speaking for myself, the more I read anti-immigrant shit online like the thread that was posted today, the more I want to hold onto my cultural roots. Those people are not a minority. British people voted to leave the EU, which says a lot about their attitude towards immigrants.
  • Children of immigrants
     Reply #8 - September 06, 2016, 01:20 AM

There's a difference between
    I do recognize that it has its problems, not unlike other cultures.

and
    I can't honestly say I appreciate much from the old country besides the good food.

• Children of immigrants
     Reply #9 - September 06, 2016, 01:30 AM

By that I meant I couldn't think of much else to add.

- Robert Louis Stevenson
  • Children of immigrants
     Reply #10 - September 06, 2016, 01:45 AM

Honestly, speaking for myself, the more I read anti-immigrant shit online like the thread that was posted today, the more I want to hold onto my cultural roots. Those people are not a minority. British people voted to leave the EU, which says a lot about their attitude towards immigrants.

I cringe whenever I hear the Christian far right or neocons talk about immigration and Syrian refugees.

- Robert Louis Stevenson
  • Children of immigrants
     Reply #11 - September 06, 2016, 03:12 AM

Children of immigrants.  What are your stories? 

What values do your parents hold that really make integration difficult?  Did you over come them?  What do your appreciate that was brought from the old country? 

From the old country the only thing I have that I couldn't do without is using a watering device like a lota for the purpose of istinja, namely to clean my anus. Everything else is negotiable.

I am not bound by my parents values. I am free to choose which of them I continue to abide by, and which I cast aside. As such I don't see anything infringing on my integration. Except nativist racism. Yeah, can't do too much about that one. Shucks.

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
  • Children of immigrants
     Reply #12 - September 06, 2016, 03:14 AM

From the old country the only thing I have that I couldn't do without is using a watering device like a lota for the purpose of istinja, namely to clean my anus.

Nevermind, I take back what I said.

- Robert Louis Stevenson
  • Children of immigrants
     Reply #13 - September 06, 2016, 03:20 AM

Penn Jilllete on immigrants/refugees:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gh5XrZJkJxc

- Robert Louis Stevenson
  • Children of immigrants
     Reply #14 - September 06, 2016, 11:39 AM

Obviously that's a value shared by secular, democratic countries with due process

The question was what difficulties I faced and how the values my parents taught me made integration difficult.

That's the reality I encountered regardless of what people say about secular democratic values. The proof is in the pudding.
  • Children of immigrants
     Reply #15 - September 06, 2016, 06:25 PM

From the old country the only thing I have that I couldn't do without is using a watering device like a lota for the purpose of istinja, namely to clean my anus.

Same, although I prefer a bidet whenever it's available. Cheesy

Or this:

• Children of immigrants
     Reply #16 - September 07, 2016, 10:49 AM

C'mon -Tmp-, lota's ain't broke. There's no reason to fix them with your high tech tomfoolery.  Wink

Posted for balance:

Look at the straightforwardness. The elegance of design. It's cool, feminine curves. Bewitching the mind, ensnaring the senses.

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
  • Children of immigrants
     Reply #17 - September 07, 2016, 10:56 AM

I bought about 10 of those the other day for my brother's farm lol
  • Children of immigrants
     Reply #18 - February 15, 2017, 05:20 AM

Should've seen this thread from the start... Anyway I'm technically an immigrant myself as I was born in Pakistan but my family all moved when I was around 1. My parents have nothing but Islamic values now. As already mentioned, it's the us vs them mentality that my parents (and I don't blame them anywhere near as much as the fucking poisonous brainwashing masjids preying on the poor and undereducated) tried to instil me with (and still do). The funny thing is I always struggled from the start to fit in their ideal mould. I don't think I ever 'liked' going to the mosque as I would get beaten all the time for being such a terrible hafiz student. But I always had that struggle in me of alienation and feeling like a terrible Muslim which my teachers would always remind me. That carried on into my teens as my Dad was desperate to bring up the ultimate Muslim in the community. Failed of course. He's produced a loopy, introverted kid lol.

What do I appreciate from the old country? Hm... we were never one to brag about our old country's customs. I became less and less aware over the years that I was a child of Pakistan. I appreciate the food?
  • Children of immigrants
     Reply #19 - February 15, 2017, 01:22 PM

Look at the straightforwardness. The elegance of design. It's cool, feminine curves. Bewitching the mind, ensnaring the senses.

Cheesy

If I ever express self-doubt about my contribution to this forum, I'll have to be reminded of this post.

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
  • Children of immigrants
     Reply #20 - February 15, 2017, 02:55 PM

I think a big part of the feelings of resentment ex-Muslims face towards their own culture is the way their parents and community defines it for them. I definitely had a lot of resentment, but once I had the freedom to relate to my culture the way I wanted to, I started really missing a lot of things and trying to connect with it in a way I had never done before.

This!

From the old country the only thing I have that I couldn't do without is using a watering device like a lota for the purpose of istinja, namely to clean my anus. Everything else is negotiable.

For some reason  I find it disgusting  when people just wipe their anus with tissue without  washing it.

"I'm standing here like an asshole holding my Charles Dickens"

"No theory,No ready made system,no book that has ever been written to save the world. i cleave to no system.."-Bakunin
  • Children of immigrants
     Reply #21 - February 15, 2017, 08:28 PM

Quote from: Cato
    For some reason  I find it disgusting  when people just wipe their anus with tissue without  washing it.

Same

My mind runs, I can never catch it even if I get a head start.
  • Children of immigrants
     Reply #22 - February 16, 2017, 02:02 AM

C'mon -Tmp-, lota's ain't broke. There's no reason to fix them with your high tech tomfoolery.  Wink

Posted for balance:

(Clicky for piccy!)

Steve Jobs of lota right here haha Cheesy
  • Children of immigrants
     Reply #23 - February 16, 2017, 11:50 AM

i would hide our lotas when my friends would come over after school.

• Children of immigrants
     Reply #24 - February 16, 2017, 04:02 PM

Posted for balance:

(Clicky for piccy!)

That's  huge,Lol. I used to own the  smaller rounded one made up of plastic. I can't find it on google image or even  in Joberg!

"No theory,No ready made system,no book that has ever been written to save the world. i cleave to no system.."-Bakunin
  • Children of immigrants
     Reply #25 - February 16, 2017, 05:07 PM

Reminds me of a time in Saudi Arabia when the water had gone out. I walked into the bathroom and found a guy brushing his teeth using the leftover water from the lota. He smiled as though it was the best idea ever. Grin
  • Children of immigrants
     Reply #26 - February 16, 2017, 05:38 PM

Eww! Grin

• Children of immigrants
     Reply #27 - February 20, 2017, 03:05 PM

Reminds me of a time in Saudi Arabia when the water had gone out. I walked into the bathroom and found a guy brushing his teeth using the leftover water from the lota. He smiled as though it was the best idea ever. Grin

vomit

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
  • Children of immigrants
     Reply #28 - February 20, 2017, 03:06 PM

Steve Jobs of lota right here haha Cheesy

Dude, where the hell you been man?!

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
  • Children of immigrants
     Reply #29 - March 02, 2017, 03:18 PM

This!

I don't get it, like how do they get clean? They can't be lol. My boyfriend is English and he's gotten used to my ways of taking Andrex wet wipes everywhere and having an old milk bottle in the bathroom lol. I don't know how he copes with only loo roll though.

On the main topic, my dad is an immigrant from Libya and my mum is English. I was born and grew up in England but have some Libyan influences, that's how I see it. I can speak Arabic, I ate some Arab food (I like lots of different kinds of foods). My dad likes to think he had the most influence and was disappointed if any of us said we felt British or felt England was our home. I remember he got mad when I got stuck in Libya due to passport problems and said I was homesick. He was like how? Libya is your home! I'd never ever lived there lol.
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »