Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 07:25 AM

New Britain
Today at 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: London Ex Muslim - Want to debate!

(Read 10339 times)
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • London Ex Muslim - Want to debate!
     OP - August 30, 2016, 01:23 AM

Hi All,

I am an early thirties male ex muslim from London. I am really sick of Islamic nonesense and need to vent/argue/debate with some of them, preferably online.

Anyone have any ideas how I can do this? I am thinking of setting up a Facebook/Twitter account for this purpose.
     Reply #1 - August 30, 2016, 08:51 AM

OK. Start.

Islam is the best.  Afro Now your turn.  finmad

No free mixing of the sexes is permitted on these forums or via PM or the various chat groups that are operating.

Women must write modestly and all men must lower their case.

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?425649-Have-some-Hayaa-%28modesty-shame%29-people!
     Reply #2 - August 30, 2016, 03:17 PM

Islam 4 lyf xo

My mind runs, I can never catch it even if I get a head start.
     Reply #3 - August 30, 2016, 08:46 PM

OK. Start.

Islam is the best.  Afro Now your turn.  finmad

I cant really beat that to be honest, but I dont think most Muslims are capable of such a high standard of rhetoric.
     Reply #4 - August 30, 2016, 08:58 PM

What about my argument?

Cry

Reply #5 - August 30, 2016, 09:19 PM

I dont think most Muslims are capable of such a high standard of rhetoric.

Yes because theyre all stupid.

Your debates will be a joy.

Roll Eyes
     Reply #6 - August 30, 2016, 09:52 PM

You're giving them way too much respect, they are stupid, atleast their position is. My friend once took me to meet some religious preacher guy in Whitechapel, it was joyous getting him to admit "it doesn't make sense". Ultimately, you can't really 'win' the debate, the satisfaction comes from exposing the sheer stupidity of their doctrine in such a way that is it is obvious to everyone. It just requires rhetorical skill.
     Reply #7 - August 30, 2016, 10:08 PM

That's a pretty monomaniacal attitude tbh.

Yeah, with all due respect, the ex Muslim subreddit might align more with your personality. CEMB ain't for everyone. Feel free to stay though.

Reply #8 - August 30, 2016, 10:19 PM

I dont plan on spending time on this forum. I just posted to get advice on how to debate Muslims.

Who is CEMB for anyway? I thought it was for ex-Muslims to talk?

Anyway, my point is that Islamic debates against Scientists dont work (See Laurence Krauss debate) simply because scientists are somewhat too emotionally detached and too logical/robotic/impersonal for the average person to emphasise with one.

Like if a Muslim talks to you with pride or arrogance, you just tell him that he is slave, and being a slave is lame, pretty much the lowest status a human can, and that a slave shouldn't be talking too confidently to a free man etc. Well, it's the sort of rhetoric you can use to get under the skin of aggressive, brash muslims who tend to have delusions of grandeur. 

Reply #9 - August 30, 2016, 10:25 PM

Oh yeah, it's definitely a place for ex-Muslims to talk. It's just not really a place where we think that all Muslims are homogenous in thought, and stupid.

Having said that, I apologise if my post was terse. Please do stick around if you'd like to.

Reply #10 - August 30, 2016, 10:48 PM

Being monomaniacal helps in debating. I love debating. I think my style is too terse for online forums. I have had fun wwith small informal debates with Muslims that I've had over the years. I have this feeling that resurfaces from time to time that I need to do something with my knowledge and experience. When I see the likes of Zakir Naik on TV, I have this strong desire to debate with them. Oh man, just  the thought of going head-to-head with some Islamic preacher is too much for me. I was gonna go to speakers corner on Sunday but  cant ever wake up on time, maybe next week. But that place seems too chaotic.

Reply #11 - August 30, 2016, 10:51 PM

It just requires rhetorical skill

I ask Allah most high & tall that I may one day be blessed with your level of intelligence and rhetorical skill.
     Reply #12 - August 30, 2016, 11:02 PM

I ask Allah most high & tall that I may one day be blessed with your level of intelligence and rhetorical skill.

Cheesy Cheesy
     Reply #13 - August 30, 2016, 11:13 PM

Hassan, theres no need to turn this into some kind of childish tit-for-that war.
    You couldn't even tell this was sarcasm and got all butthurt over it

Islam is the best.  Afro Now your turn.  finmad

I cant really beat that to be honest, but I dont think most Muslims are capable of such a high standard of rhetoric.

Anyone wanna say anything on debating pls feel free.
     Reply #14 - August 30, 2016, 11:14 PM

I used to do that debating stuff.

How I wish I could get that time back. How I wish.

Reply #15 - August 30, 2016, 11:19 PM

Yeah, I know. I am torn between "It's a waste of time and theres no point" and "These guys need to be challenged so they dont get a free ride"
     Reply #16 - August 30, 2016, 11:20 PM

Save yourself the hassle. Psychology overpowers lacklustre rhetoric.

The only thing you'll be challenging is your blood pressure.

Reply #17 - August 30, 2016, 11:27 PM

No trust me I enjoy it. Gonna be leaving the country soon but will probs head down to Speakers Corner sometime in the next few months, for laughs.
     Reply #18 - August 31, 2016, 10:07 AM

That is interesting. Set up a youtube channel if you want to post your videos debating Tongue

Or a blog if you want to do writing debate... Though I think you're much better of with a real, 1v1 debate.
     Reply #19 - August 31, 2016, 11:30 AM

no problem you can come to speakers corner we can do this virtue together ! early thirties or early forties it doesnt matter
     Reply #20 - August 31, 2016, 05:44 PM

....Anyone wanna say anything on debating pls feel free.

(I'm ex-Catholic). Debating is useful if one feels motivated to do it and engaged positively with contributors. I have done enough of that. Perhaps like me (and many others) you'll get bored with it after a while. I think a positive example is better and being clear about what religion is - essentially superstition. People often think there's more to religion than that, but take away belief in gods, prophets, afterlives and the supernatural and religious sects or congregations offer nothing more than many other groups. Volunteer groups offer opportunities for philanthropy. Meetup groups offer opportunities to learn through personal interaction. Sporting and hobby groups offer opportunities for exercise and artistic expression. Or just go down to the local pub and speak to someone you've never met. All these activities can lead to whole circles of friends or lead to feeling part of a community or group.

Some people say religion is about bringing people together and doing good. If it was primarily about that, religions wouldn't exclude those of other religious beliefs and non-believers by having a creed or superstitions based on a 'good book'.

What strikes me and what I find interesting about Muslims of today is how similar many of their attitudes are to those held by people in this country a hundred or more years ago. ("This country" being the UK, the land in which I was born). The misogyny (inferior position of women) and the tension between the different sects, (for example, Sunni & Shia tensions and animosities) seem reminiscent of old Catholic/Protestant sectarian conflicts. The idea that religion provides cohesion in society instead of sectarian division is outdated and absurd. Outdated, wrong-headed attitudes seem characteristic of places where Islam is currently entrenched and applauded, such as in Pakistan, Egypt and Saudi Arabia.

Another thing that strikes me is how pervasive religion is in such emerging nations. When such attitudes prevailed in the West, religion was equally prevalent and as strongly valued. It seems that as the strength of religious beliefs decline, morality and inclusiveness increase in society. So do freedoms of speech and expression, in general.
     Reply #21 - August 31, 2016, 07:14 PM

That is interesting. Set up a youtube channel if you want to post your videos debating Tongue

Or a blog if you want to do writing debate... Though I think you're much better of with a real, 1v1 debate.

I dont really wanna do that right now as I am not comfortable with having my face permanently on the web as some sort of anti-muslim.  Looking for face-to-face discussions that wont be recorded. Mostly everyone knows I am not a Muslim but I like to have these things under my control where possible.

no problem you can come to speakers corner we can do this virtue together ! early thirties or early forties it doesnt matter

I might go this Sunday. Are you ex-Muslim? You wanna go?
     Reply #22 - September 01, 2016, 05:24 AM

Do what you're comfortable doing Smiley

I, uh, don't want to expose myself either so I don't usually make noise IRL. I like to lay low...
     Reply #23 - September 04, 2016, 07:40 PM

Went to speakers corner today and had a few discussions. Had a decent crowd at times and it was enjoyable. The people listening were either Muslims or Atheists, the Atheists kinda backed me up and the Muslims not so much, but I think most people enjoyed it. Was good to have a dialogue. I felt I held my own quite a bit and it seemed many of my opponents were getting frustrated. All in all, a good showing for the ex-Muslim, just hope they dont put stuff on youtube.

Some of my opponents were not that smart. For example,

Me: "if you have a string of random characters long enough you will find a word"
    Opponent :" Yeah but you cant get shakespeare"
    Me: "You can if it's long enough"

And then the guy was like that's crazy and I was worried it may seem I lost the arguments if the audience took his side, not grasping this simple concept of probability.

The Muslim guys seemed to use the same argument mostly i.e that the nature of our existence is a result of intelligent design therefore there is a God. It was weird how formulaic these guys were in trying to get this point across.
     Reply #24 - September 05, 2016, 05:33 PM

. . .
    Anyone have any ideas how I can do this? I am thinking of setting up a Facebook/Twitter account for this purpose.

You can set up a wiki account and vent your displeasure with Islam.

Kind Regards,
    Farside of Wikiislam. 
     Reply #25 - September 05, 2016, 05:49 PM

That's a pretty monomaniacal attitude tbh.

Yeah, with all due respect, the ex Muslim subreddit might align more with your personality. CEMB ain't for everyone. Feel free to stay though.

Grin

"Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well."
    - Robert Louis Stevenson
     Reply #26 - September 18, 2016, 12:10 AM

Hi, welcome  parrot

I think it doesn't make really sense to debate about religion, because people are too emotional in this topic and don't argue with logic.
     Reply #27 - September 18, 2016, 12:38 AM

Hi, welcome  parrot

I think it doesn't make really sense to debate about religion, because people are too emotional in this topic and don't argue with logic.

I think that is almost impossible to debate with logic in this kind of subjects, God (or no god) is a very subjective and emotional question.
     Reply #28 - September 30, 2016, 06:20 PM

Hi All,

I am an early thirties male ex muslim from London. I am really sick of Islamic nonesense and need to vent/argue/debate with some of them, preferably online.

In the light of the tragic murder of an Ahmadi shopkeeper in Glasgow I'd advice keeping this as confidential as possible. Don't use your normal email address, make a new one. Make accounts without anything that could link you to them. Even consider using mobile internet.

You could maybe create a youtube channel debating the Historicity of Muhammad, the likelyhood of it being a political form of colonialism, the obvious change in writing quality between the Mecan and Medinan phases, the use of Persian and Hebrew words in the Quran, the contradictions between the same stories indicates multiple writers. The Quran wrongly quotes the Greek reproductive theory, which is scientifically proven to be incorrect. Was Allah not up to date on modern science in the 7th century?

Without insulting ask the reader/debatee to consider whether some of Muhammed's actions were ethical or not. Discuss the facts and ask them to make value judgements on Muhammed's actions.
     Reply #29 - October 18, 2016, 11:26 AM

I relished debating Muslims on Yahoo!Answers. The section is society & culture > holidays > ramadan.

It's been years since I was on so I don't know how it is now, but back in my day you'd have salafis, moderates, shi'a, ahmadiyyas, mutazilis, quranists, christians and atheists. Everyone was at each other's jugular in one way or another, simply over asking and answering each other's questions and answers on Islam (eg. a simple question like "which is the correct way to pray? Shi'a, Maliki, Hanbali, Ibadi? They all differ"). It was hilarious.

That's where I learnt most of Islam from. Some people converted out of Islam and some converted into Islam. I had a debate with someone for a few years. She quite quickly abandoned sunnism and became a quranist after I asked explanations to so many absurd hadith that she couldn't answer, then later she didn't like the quran either but wouldn't apostatise for fear of hell.

There was no moderator to ban questions or answers unless they were utterly offensive. I'd try Ummah.com but I hear they delete questions and answers that challenge their views.

I debated Muslims by asking:

1. Must god's true religion be perfect, without any errors whatsoever? - yes
    2. Is Islam a perfect religion? - yes
    3. Are hadith essential to following Islam? - yes
    4. So hadith are the foundation on which Islam stands, alongside quran? - yes
    5. But the hadith aren't 100% perfect are they? - no, but scholars rank them
    6. So Islam's not a perfection religion, because it relies upon imperfect sources (hadith) to be understood. - Predictable apologist argument starts
    7. Even so, you can't say Islam's perfect at all through it being *dependent* on flawed sources. Your religion's not perfect, so it can't be from god.
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »