Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Today at 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: I Regret My Exemption

(Read 1539 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • I Regret My Exemption
     OP - August 23, 2016, 06:29 AM

So, I've been reflecting on my college days a lot watching the young people coming out of college today. I'm not sure if I'm just becoming a crotchety old person or if I'm right to be exasperated, but I'm basically getting pissy about some of my choices in college in the light of how people today are using the same exemptions and considerations I got to silence political dissenters.

In particular, I can't help but think about the exemption I got to not write about my family history because of my PTSD. I had a pretty fucked up childhood. Think FLDS levels of fucked up, I can't think of anything that happened or allegedly happened in the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints that didn't also happen to me, although I wasn't raised in the FLDS in particular. As a result, I have (professionally diagnosed, not self-diagnosed) PTSD from my shitty, fucked up childhood and I am on PTSD medications to control the symptoms. I took a lot of courses that asked me to write papers about my family and childhood, and I asked my psychiatrist at the time to write a letter to the disabilities office at my school so I could get alternate assignments, because talking about my family life was making me suicidal. She did and it made my college days run a lot smoother. Was it partially laziness that made me get the exemption? Yeah, probably, but I had almost been put on academic suspension for being so suicidal, and I did always do an alternate assignment (usually writing about a family in a video or book instead of my own family).

I also think about my friend, whose father, a convicted serial killer on death row, molested her. One day the teacher unexpectedly turned off the lights to show a movie and my friend had a panic attack. I went outside to sit with her and listen to her because I understood her trauma. I was the one who helped her calm down.

We were the kind of students that safe spaces were created for. We were the kind of students who the exemptions to certain assignments were designed for. We were the kind of students who actually suffered from trauma. So when I see people like Trigglypuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y69tkCbeC5o

or these people

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6pIhwBgvmU

using those considerations, those privileges, those appeals to the school faculty's kindness to shut up people--people, mind you, who I disagree with, but who I don't think have committed the same kinds of crimes as my parents or my friend's dad--I am appalled. I can't help but to regret whatever part I played in making those spaces, in asking for those exemptions, because even though I know that I needed them, I know that my friend needed them, I can't believe how they're being used. And then I see bullshit like this

law school students demand trigger warnings for class content

and this

students try to ban a feminist from speaking for not being the right kind of feminist

or this

students demand a room with puppies where they can hide from someone so sweet her nickname is base mom

and I just want to bang my head on a wall. I feel like I brought a monster into this world by asking for help for my real, existing medical conditions caused by my real experiences. Then again, that's how I usually feel, because my parents always believed I was literally a demon who had taken human form so I could serve as a portal through which evil entered the world. Fuck, I'm off to eat ice cream and cry.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for I have a sonic screwdriver, a tricorder, and a Type 2 phaser.
  • I Regret My Exemption
     Reply #1 - August 23, 2016, 08:41 AM

Afro

You are not at fault. The fault is with the administrators, governors, committees and other such pansy organisations that cater to the self-diagnosed victim mentality and the millennials who have an outrageous sense of entitlement.

Luckily, this corrosive attitude has not entered the UK on the scale it has the US and the stupid lexicon has not been widely adopted. 'Triggering' and 'safe space'. Give me a break. This is plain infantalising of the masses.

It's great that issues of racism, rape, mental health awareness and LGBT are becoming more mainstream but to pretend that there is to a cohort of lunatics that does not take advantages of well intentioned people is plain silly.

However, this is standard practice and has been since I started teaching in 2009 and so it should be as well:

One unnamed law student told the site that, prior to lectures on sexual offences – which included issues such as rape and assault – their class was warned the content could be “distressing, and were then given the opportunity to leave” if needed.

No free mixing of the sexes is permitted on these forums or via PM or the various chat groups that are operating.

Women must write modestly and all men must lower their case.

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?425649-Have-some-Hayaa-%28modesty-shame%29-people!
  • I Regret My Exemption
     Reply #2 - August 23, 2016, 05:10 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPhXy6UfIaw

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

• I Regret My Exemption
     Reply #3 - August 23, 2016, 09:29 PM

I can't even imagine how you would be at fault for the abuse of safe spaces that you depicted gal_from_usa.

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
  • I Regret My Exemption
     Reply #4 - August 24, 2016, 01:38 AM

I am going to be taking advantage of accommodation, too. Don´t feel bad about using it, you were not abusing it, and it is necessary. Attitudes will shift from one extreme to another more than once before the right medium is found.

Don't let Hitler have the street.
  • I Regret My Exemption
     Reply #5 - August 24, 2016, 09:56 AM

I can't even imagine how you would be at fault for the abuse of safe spaces that you depicted gal_from_usa.

Oh my brain is great at assigning blame to me for shit that has nothing at all to do with me. There are very few people in the world who I hate more than I hate myself, and fewer still that hate me more than I do. But it really helps me feel better to get it out there and have people be like "wut, that isn't your fault."

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for I have a sonic screwdriver, a tricorder, and a Type 2 phaser.
  • I Regret My Exemption
     Reply #6 - August 24, 2016, 01:06 PM

Oh my brain is great at assigning blame to me for shit that has nothing at all to do with me.

well  brain has no bones.,it has all soft tissue girl., we need get rid of it or replace it ., I think you can do it with simple rule

There are very few people in the world who I hate more than I hate myself, and fewer still that hate me more than I do.

I don't think so., who are they?  May you are blaming yourself someone hates you more than you hate yourself..Get rid of that damn word "HATE" from your brain .. may be hypnotherapy along with some friends... 

But it really helps me feel better to get it out there and have people be like "wut, that isn't your fault."

yes..yes..off course it is NOT your fault .. it is all brain..and it needs lots of oxygen and good nutrients and good friends ..  Cheesy ..   I think you girls in US of A are so lucky and so outrageous .....

with best wishes
    yeezevee

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

• 1« Previous thread | Next thread »