Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 11:59 AM

Qur'anic studies today
Yesterday at 08:44 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
Yesterday at 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Yesterday at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Black Lives Matter in UK

(Read 19089 times)
  • Previous page 1 23 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Black Lives Matter in UK
     Reply #30 - August 10, 2016, 06:07 PM

Nobody is baiting you - stop being so paranoid. If you have no intention to have your views/opinions questioned then don't be surprised. Also, please don't PM me nonsense with homophobic slurs in such a way that it appears that I wrote it. Immature.

I have time for many internet arguments, but not when they are being made in such bad faith. I've reported your post for its ad-hominem attack. And if you're trying to make some sort of point here, than state it clearly instead of resorting to trying to start some sort of internet drama.

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #31 - August 10, 2016, 06:25 PM

I’ll admit I don’t have the mental energy to go back and forth with you on this issue. If it weren’t for the fact that writing my thoughts out actually allows me to move beyond them, I wouldn’t spend my time on it right now.

Everything on this forum is for the sake of discussion and trying to invalidate or silence anothers voice since it doesn't fit your world view is disingenuous. You don't know the story or history of those offering their opinion - which is what these forums are for - just as those offering the critiques don't fully know the story and history of those being critiqued.

I have no intention of silencing your voice. You are more than welcome to post here, provided you follow the forum rules.

In full transparency, though, the seeming lack of regard that I sensed from your OP led me to simply put you on ignore. I realize I’m emotionally vested in this topic. Seeing it reduced to an abstract intellectual discussion on semantics, for me, is frustrating and adds nothing of value for me or people like me on the ground.

If your intended “aha moment” in the discussion is that while raising awareness, activists should not inconvenience others, then I fail to see the value add and would assert that the history of civil rights activism is actually what “invalidates” your point.

Real allies does not been people that just nod their heads at everything you do. Challenge everything. Question everything. Acknowledge the progress that's been made and work rationally to make further progress.

Again, nothing of any real value or substance here. Questioning tactics in order to assess their effectiveness towards a goal is, of course, a wise thing. But what are you actually questioning here? Look at your OP. A neutral observer would be reasonable to consider it mocking and condescending at best. From my vantage point, it really does look like nitpicking - or worse, picking on - just for the sake of it.

The idiots are those that state 'there is no racism in America' or try to downplay or excuse instances of police brutality. On the other hand, there have been activists that have behaved in the most disrespectful manner and come across as childish to the point were some people question the meaning/intention of 'black lives matter'.

Do you have anything specific you are referring to here? Were they actual representatives of BLM? How were they affiliated with the group? What did they do and what happened because of it? Was their behavior approved of or condoned?

There's a reason why people have stated 'blue lives matter' or 'all lives matter' in reaction to some of the incidents, which is were much of the discussion stems.

From three, alayhaa as-Salaam.

I am not going to throw the movement out because of some who went too far. I have too much hope for it. I am not going to drown out their voices with an insistence that so and so be included, because there is a specific issue here that needs to be heard. I will only benefit from a good hard look at policies and attitudes that discriminate.

Reply #32 - August 10, 2016, 07:37 PM

I think your emotional investment as your put it has put you on the defensive and yes the OP was tongue-in-cheek but you failed to read it and the context.

I was discussing the rise of BLM in the UK in tongue-in-cheek fashion as I considered it ridiculous and OTT. Then others chimed in with 'All lives matter' or 'black lives matter too' and that's when the semantics issue came in I suppose. But I always was consistent in talking about tactics and gave two prominent examples. It may be irrelevant to you, but it's not to a lot of other people.

The 'aha moment' you so condescendingly refer to demonstrates you do not want to engage in an objectives discussion. You have every tight to but to call questioning tactics when activists act like immature idiots trying to 'shut down' events or meetings is not nit picking. That's the reality. You can pick and choose who represents BLM.

On and this http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-37038421 It's a sad and brutal world we live in.

Again, nothing of any real value or substance here. Questioning tactics in order to assess their effectiveness towards a goal is, of course, a wise thing.

Way to contradict yourself. You used to be open minded man. Those were the good old days. Peace out bro. We're fighting the same fight and supporting the same cause. Wish you knew that. That's the problem with the all or nothing mentality.

You quoted three (how does anything I've said disagree with this)? I agree with it. The movement is important but it shouldn't stop us questioning the silly tactics as well as what the movement potentially represents.

I am not going to throw the movement out because of some who went too far. I have too much hope for it. I am not going to drown out their voices with an insistence that so and so be included, because there is a specific issue here that needs to be heard. I will only benefit from a good hard look at policies and attitudes that discriminate.

I have time for many internet arguments, but not when they are being made in such bad faith. I've reported your post for its ad-hominem attack. And if you're trying to make some sort of point here, than state it clearly instead of resorting to trying to start some sort of internet drama.

No clue what ad-hominen attack you are talking about. You PM'd me. Stop it with the stupid games.

No free mixing of the sexes is permitted on these forums or via PM or the various chat groups that are operating.

Women must write modestly and all men must lower their case.

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?425649-Have-some-Hayaa-%28modesty-shame%29-people!
     Reply #33 - August 10, 2016, 07:59 PM

ALL lives matter..... Everywhere!

Reply #34 - August 10, 2016, 08:46 PM

I’m going to assume your knowledge of civil rights activism and strategy. Sit-ins and shutting down modes of transportation have a long history of actually achieving results. The inconvenience is part of the point, even if some people have to have their meetings disrupted or their morning commute delayed a bit to get the conversation going.

I wish we did live in a world where internet forums and BBC debates were all it took to actually effect change.

You mockingly mentioned the difference between violent and nonviolent resistance, when in reality that difference is everything.

As I said initially, the institutionalized discrimination and marginalization of people of color is something deeply embedded in western society. There are more examples of it than I can list here right now, and I’m sure you are aware of them. It affects virtually everything that a black person is likely to encounter in the span of his or her life, from education, to hiring practices, to brutality from the police. It is reinforced and perpetuated through things like the media, through roles in movies and shows for example, influencing social expectation of what it means to “be black.”

Even the vernacular used by many of African descent in the Americas, which is a direct legacy of centuries of slavery, is demeaned as a sign of ignorance and inferiority. The way we speak is stigmatized before our ideas are even registered!

The BLM movement is by no means the panacea. But on the whole, their tactics of non-violent civil disobedience, protest, inclusion, and focusing on their specific principles is something I cannot be quick to dismiss.

Of course everything is open to questioning, but eventually, looking for something to criticize without actually demonstrating how you are contributing to the goals you allegedly agree with begins to look a lot like nitpicking for the sake of nitpicking - though you are free to do just that.

And I’ll be sure to tell you when you aren’t adding any value in hopes you'll take heed. It's my honest feedback. 
     Reply #35 - August 10, 2016, 09:14 PM

Way to contradict yourself. You used to be open minded man.

"Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well."
    - Robert Louis Stevenson
     Reply #36 - August 10, 2016, 10:30 PM

As I said initially, the institutionalized discrimination and marginalization of people of color is something deeply embedded in western society. There are more examples of it than I can list here right now, and I’m sure you are aware of them. It affects virtually everything that a black person is likely to encounter in the span of his or her life, from education, to hiring practices, to brutality from the police. It is reinforced and perpetuated through things like the media, through roles in movies and shows for example, influencing social expectation of what it means to “be black.”

A big mistake I used to make is think that all people of colour experience the same level of racism simply because they're all POCs. Not the case. While there is racism against all POCs, racism against Black people is very different. There's a lot of anti-Blackness in North America. It's on a level that non-Black people will never get to understand. My mind was blown when I heard some of my Black friends' experiences. It's such a daily reality for some people... it's like you're living in the same city but in completely different worlds.

I think a lot of non-Black POCs make a generalization based on their own experiences. This is why it's important to say that Black Lives Matter. Even within POC circles, Black voices can often be lost.

Instead of being bitter and screaming "all lives matter", I think it's better to learn from the movement and see what works and how it can be applied to different POC experiences, without co-opting or appropriating the movement.

BLM is such a beautiful and empowering and inspiring movement. I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that there's been a resurgence in Black art and culture in North America. When you have Black writers winning national awards and topping bestsellers lists in Canada and the US, when you have Black superstars being openly political as fuck and talking about race... that is so fucking huge.
     Reply #37 - August 11, 2016, 10:19 AM

I’m going to assume your knowledge of civil rights activism and strategy. Sit-ins and shutting down modes of transportation have a long history of actually achieving results. The inconvenience is part of the point, even if some people have to have their meetings disrupted or their morning commute delayed a bit to get the conversation going.

I wish we did live in a world where internet forums and BBC debates were all it took to actually effect change.

You mockingly mentioned the difference between violent and nonviolent resistance, when in reality that difference is everything.

Even the vernacular used by many of African descent in the Americas, which is a direct legacy of centuries of slavery, is demeaned as a sign of ignorance and inferiority. The way we speak is stigmatized before our ideas are even registered!

The BLM movement is by no means the panacea. But on the whole, their tactics of non-violent civil disobedience, protest, inclusion, and focusing on their specific principles is something I cannot be quick to dismiss.

Of course everything is open to questioning, but eventually, looking for something to criticize without actually demonstrating how you are contributing to the goals you allegedly agree with begins to look a lot like nitpicking for the sake of nitpicking - though you are free to do just that.

And I’ll be sure to tell you when you aren’t adding any value in hopes you'll take heed. It's my honest feedback. 

Thanks for the answer bro. I agree that non-violent protests were key to the struggle such as that advocated by MLK but there were other groups, activists, that were violent and advocated violence. Civil rights movement was a mixture of both, but the better method won in the end. Fanon himself wold perhaps turn in his grave by the way the civil rights movement evolved. However, I did specify that the elements of the BLM I disagreed with and questioned were the 'shutting down' and causing disruption on the motorways and tramlines in the UK. Why such idiocy in tactics needs to be exported to the UK I have no idea.

Anyway, I apologise if I caused you offence. As a black man and as a brother in humanity I don't know what you've experienced. I hope it wasn't something to harsh. If somethings ridiculous or I think it's stupid I will call it out and I will do so mockingly. And if I prefer to use a more egalitarian term or support others that do so it doesn't mean that 'I'm ignorant or in denial' as some would protest. Movements aren't just defined by their goals or the history they purport to represent, but also by the people and their actions. There are some things that concern me when legitimate criticisms are easily dismissed as if the BLM movement is sacred.

Instead of being bitter and screaming "all lives matter", I think it's better to learn from the movement and see what works and how it can be applied to different POC experiences, without co-opting or appropriating the movement.

Whilst sane advice, I don't think anybody here has advocated throwing BLM out the window or is screaming 'all lives matters'. I agree with the rest of your post, but if you read the article of the BLM in the UK, they are extending the movement at least in the UK to include refugees and Muslims or at least seeking their support.

)

And what? Don't use those muslim atheism tactics.

No free mixing of the sexes is permitted on these forums or via PM or the various chat groups that are operating.

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?425649-Have-some-Hayaa-%28modesty-shame%29-people!
     Reply #38 - August 11, 2016, 12:18 PM

Anyway, I apologise if I caused you offence. As a black man and as a brother in humanity I don't know what you've experienced. I hope it wasn't something to harsh. If somethings ridiculous or I think it's stupid I will call it out and I will do so mockingly. And if I prefer to use a more egalitarian term or support others that do so it doesn't mean that 'I'm ignorant or in denial' as some would protest. Movements aren't just defined by their goals or the history they purport to represent, but also by the people and their actions. There are some things that concern me when legitimate criticisms are easily dismissed as if the BLM movement is sacred.

Nobody is implying that BLM movement is sacred or trying to make it look that way ,It's the way you approach the topic in discussing it with a snarkiness and throwing ad hominem attacks when someone disagrees with you. It gives the wrong impression that you are making an argument for the sake of arguing on internet and not anyone has time for that.

"I'm standing here like an asshole holding my Charles Dickens"

"No theory,No ready made system,no book that has ever been written to save the world. i cleave to no system.."-Bakunin
     Reply #39 - August 11, 2016, 01:02 PM

I know little about it.

I do believe that people of colour are targeted more by police in Canada.  They also tend to shoot people with mental illness unnecessarily and too often regardless of their colour.

The police in Canada are actively seeking community discussion about these matters.

What I do not like about BLM is they blocked the Gay pride parade in Toronto.  They demanded that police not be allowed to participate and the police have always been in the parade since it started.  Anyway it was not their parade, they were invited. 

The unreligion, only one calorie
     Reply #40 - August 11, 2016, 01:37 PM

You know that the police have a history of violence against LGBTQ people in Toronto, right? Just a few months ago they apologized for raiding bathhouses in the 80s. A lot of LGBTQ people don't feel safe when cops are around. Asking them to not be present at an event that's meant to be a safe space for LGBTQ folks is a fair demand.

What's the point of an apology if it's just empty words?
     Reply #41 - August 11, 2016, 01:45 PM

You know that the police have a history of violence against LGBTQ people in Toronto, right? Just a few months ago .........
     LGBTQ
    LGBTQ

huh ! what the hell what is Q in it?? I know   
    L for Ladies
    G for guys
    B for bi
    T for tri
    Q for ??    Quartet ?? 

Err  Just  say  A to Z ...    that will take care of every one,,,

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #42 - August 11, 2016, 01:50 PM

Q stands for Queer.
     Reply #43 - August 11, 2016, 01:52 PM

Q stands for Queer.

oh I see..people from Queens   I think of all people they are treated worst in the society and I am talking about their own family members

Well really the question for me in these LGBTQDS .... community is., it is true that society look down on them.,  but real question is .. is it just age/time and sexual promiscuity   or ...or   TRUE LOVE  IS INVOLVED BETWEEN THE PARTIES ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT   Oh I see, godless heathen gets Help from wiki goddess

Reply #44 - August 11, 2016, 04:47 PM

TRUE LOVE

Me and my boogers are true love yeez. I keep getting rid of them, and they keep coming back, but I appreciate them for everything they do.  001_wub

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #45 - August 11, 2016, 04:59 PM

..........true love ...........

The .true love..  

the love that asks nothing but gives everything without asking without hurting any one is the most important love in this damn world dear asbie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBKwtvnfYZA

Reply #46 - August 11, 2016, 09:15 PM

You know that the police have a history of violence against LGBTQ people in Toronto, right? Just a few months ago they apologized for raiding bathhouses in the 80s. A lot of LGBTQ people don't feel safe when cops are around. Asking them to not be present at an event that's meant to be a safe space for LGBTQ folks is a fair demand.

What's the point of an apology if it's just empty words?

Have you ever been to gay pride weekend in Toronto?  It is a great big party and the police have been asked to participate for years now.  They actually march in the parade.

Reply #47 - August 11, 2016, 10:45 PM

Yes I have. What's your point? You don't know who doesn't attend the party because they don't feel comfortable with the police being there. It's a LGBTQ pride parade, not a police pride parade. I think LGBTQ folks should take precedence.
     Reply #48 - August 12, 2016, 09:30 AM

Nobody is implying that BLM movement is sacred or trying to make it look that way ,It's the way you approach the topic in discussing it with a snarkiness and throwing ad hominem attacks when someone disagrees with you. It gives the wrong impression that you are making an argument for the sake of arguing on internet and not anyone has time for that.

Provide evidence of this. I called the disruptive 'protesters' idiots, but never referred to anyone personally on the forum.

I suppose the rest just represents the state of the discussion in which certain issues are ring fenced from criticism. It has been afforded a kind of reverence that no other discussion I have participated has ever received, particularly concerning Muslim related groups/issues.

Reply #49 - August 12, 2016, 09:36 AM

Yes I have. What's your point? You don't know who doesn't attend the party because they don't feel comfortable with the police being there. It's a LGBTQ pride parade, not a police pride parade. I think LGBTQ folks should take precedence.

By that logic should the police refuse to monitor EDL marches?
    Have you ever been to gay pride weekend in Toronto?  It is a great big party and the police have been asked to participate for years now.  They actually march in the parade.

I know what you mean Bee - there is still homophobia and the police are requested as a presence as a precaution. They do a great job.

Reply #50 - August 12, 2016, 12:23 PM

We have to make a society works where black lives do matter.  I remember when some little toddler feel down a well in USA and rescue workers worked for two days getting her out.  At work this Iranian woman asked if he father was an important person.  We said no she was just an ordinary person.  So she said that in Iran they would just let her die because she would not have mattered.  So some people just view life as cheap.

I remember when this young man got shot by police because eh would not stop while stealing a car.  His girlfriend was crying and asking why he got shot for stealing a car?  She said he did not deserve that.  But most people had said that he got shot for not stopping for police. 

A young woman was shot while shopping and there was limited news coverage. When another young woman was shot it was covered more extensively.  People also criticized this inequaility of news coverage as being racist.  The first young woman was visiting  from another country so that many people did not know her.  The second young woman had many people come to her memorial because they knew her.  It was not about racism.

Toronto had the bath house raids where everyone there was arrested not just the prostitutes and people doing sex acts in public/semi private places.  So people started to complain. There was a dialogue.  There was much progress in how gays were treated. 

Both the police and BLM were invited guests to Toronto gay pride parade.  I usually have some issue with people who try to ruin my party when they do not want my other invited guests there.  Making their sit down protest did not help the BLM cause.  It mostly angered people.

My friend's brother was shot while walking down the street.  He was going to the store to buy juice for his children.  His case was never solved.  He was a brown man.  He was never involved in drugs or crime.  The police only gave one possible reason that drug gangs around were shooting people at random. 

People are complaining about the random shooting, drive-bys and targeted murderers of gang members in crowded public places were innocent bystanders are shot.  A young boy was shot while sitting in his home by gang members who were fighting outside on the street.  So there is a huge outcry about how the police are doing nothing. 

There have been shootings in public where not one person had contacted police with information even anonymously.  Why?  Because of the NO SNITCH culture.  The idea that the police are the enemy.   That some people think they belong to an outsider group not because of their religion, culture, language but only because of the colour of their skin. 

Reply #51 - August 12, 2016, 06:18 PM

Imagine you invite two people to a party. One of them attacks the other. What would you do? Personally, I would kick out the attacker and make sure he never attends any of my parties.
     Reply #52 - August 12, 2016, 08:41 PM

Really sad when a family cannot call the police if one of them has been attacked or robbed.  They cannot risk having a police vehicle outside their home in the crime ridden gang controlled neighbourhood.  That is even if the police will come there. Some housing projects the police get trash thrown at their vehicles if they come into the area.  Some of the parents kick their youths out for joining gangs. 

Even my mother told me there were gangs when she was young and also her grandmother in Ireland more than 100 years ago.  But how to stop gang culture?

Reply #53 - August 12, 2016, 09:02 PM

Great question Bee. How can the gang violence issue be solved? Tough questions asked of many communities.

When the skinheads would come round 'paki bashing' in the UK it was usually the police that would step in and protect minorities - this in the 70's and things have improved with the exposure of bad elements and closer community cohesion, the use of PCSOs source from communities. I have friends and family in the police force and they do such a terrific job, even if I didn't I have had enough positive encounters with them to distinguish between the hyperbolic rhetoric of some well meaning albeit  over zealous opponents of the police. 

Reply #54 - August 12, 2016, 09:14 PM

You won't tackle gang culture without tackling wealth inequality.   And before anybody runs away with that statement, I am NOT saying its the only cause.  Its a complex issue, but you won't tackle any of it without looking at the economics.

"Befriend them not, Oh murtads, and give them neither parrot nor bunny."  - happymurtad's advice on trolls.
     Reply #55 - August 12, 2016, 09:21 PM

You won't tackle gang culture without tacking police brutality, either. Gang culture rose out of the need for communities to police themselves because the cops were part of what needed to be policed against.
     Reply #56 - August 12, 2016, 09:27 PM

^ A very good point.  That's a phenonenom I've seen closer to home, and its very difficult to root out, even when there's no racism involved.

"Befriend them not, Oh murtads, and give them neither parrot nor bunny."  - happymurtad's advice on trolls.
     Reply #57 - August 12, 2016, 09:32 PM

CODE OF THUG LIFE

In 1992 at the ‘Truce Picnic’ in Cali, Tupac was instrumental in getting rival members of the Crips and Bloods to sign the Code Of THUG LIFE.

He and Mutulu Shakur had helped write up the ‘code’ , with help from other ‘og’s’.

The Code of THUG LIFE is listed here.It details do's and don'ts for being a righteous thug and banger.

Code OF THUG LIFE:

1. All new Jacks to the game must know: a) He’s going to get rich. b) He’s going to jail. c) He’s going to die.

2. Crew Leaders: You are responsible for legal/financial payment commitments to crew members; your word must be your bond.

3. One crew’s rat is every crew’s rat. Rats are now like a disease; sooner or later we all get it; and they should too.

4. Crew leader and posse should select a diplomat, and should work ways to settle disputes. In unity, there is strength!

5. Car jacking in our Hood is against the Code.

6. Slinging to children is against the Code.

7. Having children slinging is against the Code.

8. No slinging in schools.

9. Since the rat Nicky Barnes opened his mouth; ratting has become accepted by some. We’re not having it.

10. Snitches is outta here.

11. The Boys in Blue don’t run nothing; we do. Control the Hood, and make it safe for squares.

12. No slinging to pregnant Sisters. That’s baby killing; that’s genocide!

13. Know your target, who’s the real enemy.

14. Civilians are not a target and should be spared.

15. Harm to children will not be forgiven.

16. Attacking someone’s home where their family is known to reside, must be altered or checked.

17. Senseless brutality and rape must stop.

18. Our old folks must not be abused.

19. Respect our Sisters. Respect our Brothers.

20. Sisters in the Life must be respected if they respect themselves.

21. Military disputes concerning business areas within the community must be handled professionally and not on the block.

22. No shooting at parties.

23. Concerts and parties are neutral territories; no shooting!

24. Know the Code; it’s for everyone.

25. Be a real ruff neck. Be down with the code of the Thug Life.

26. Protect yourself at all times..

Source
     Reply #58 - August 13, 2016, 08:39 AM

Is that the Thug's equivalent of the Magna Carta?

Reply #59 - August 14, 2016, 07:45 AM

I suppose the rest just represents the state of the discussion in which certain issues are ring fenced from criticism. It has been afforded a kind of reverence that no other discussion I have participated has ever received, particularly concerning Muslim related groups/issues.

Reverence? It's like you seem to be equating Muslims complaint to Islamophobic attacks or valid criticism against Islamic doctrines to a movement seeking for equal justice which is a confusing way of looking at it. Why because those protestors are the oppressed communities, meanwhile the likes of Islamists who advocates for Islamic state and Sharia as its law are the oppressors, those are the ones that affords reverence which is why we criticize and mock their ideas and the sources they derive it from, TO PUNCH UP THE POWER. You seem to have taken the stance of wanting to punch up those in powers and punch those that are oppressed groups down because of your problem with "tram pushers' or "disruptive protestors" or some that went too far. That's like trying to criticise ex muslim's right to protest against apostasy laws or laws that puts them in a harm's way just because you have a problem with some that have gone to the Right and supports muslim profiling,Immigration ban against muslims and being Pro-Israel

"I'm standing here like an asshole holding my Charles Dickens"

"No theory,No ready made system,no book that has ever been written to save the world. i cleave to no system.."-Bakunin
  • Previous page 1 23 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »