Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Yesterday at 08:44 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
Yesterday at 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Yesterday at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 18, 2024, 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Thoroughly Lapsed Roman Catholic

(Read 2369 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Thoroughly Lapsed Roman Catholic
     OP - July 23, 2016, 03:03 PM

I don’t know any Muslims or ex-Muslims and that’s partly why I’m here. I’m a white old man, fiscally conservative and socially liberal.

I have been struck by some of the stories people have told about leaving religion, e.g. “The only issue is that I can't be honest with my parents. I think something like this would hurt them so much, and I just don’t have it in me to do that to them.”
    I have experience of being treated as if there was something disastrous about relinquishing religion, but I see what we are doing as relinquishing superstition.

Religion is parent-given so it is easy to fall into their language and mindset which is that religious faith is important, everyone should believe in something and rituals of worship and prayer are good for the soul. Just examine those three statements and see if you can find substance in them. I haven’t left religion, I’ve stopped being superstitious. Religious faith is unimportant and a consequence of upbringing. I think it is wrong to ‘believe in’. I have reasons for what I believe and reasons for not believing posits. I don’t need rituals, see nothing to worship and I don’t have a soul in any spiritual or supernatural sense of the word.

Let me end with a smile: Roman Catholics use the term ‘lapsed Catholic’ for those of us they see as having “left the faith”.

This song “Yes, I am an Atheist” also made me smile....
    Apparently, links aren't permitted, so please search AtheismUK, yes I am an atheist
    Jonny Eve sings it like it like it is on AtheismUK. (Sorry for some bad, redundant language in it)
     Reply #1 - July 23, 2016, 03:08 PM

Hi Zeff, welcome aboard. parrot bunny

I am an old, brown, lapsed Catholic woman btw  Wink
     Reply #2 - July 23, 2016, 09:03 PM

Hi Zeff!

I'd say it has more to do with admonitions in the Quran about apostates, specifically the killing of them.

Now, most Muslim parents in the west won't go that far, but if they've been raised to the faith like my mum was, then they, like she, believe that raising good Muslim kids is the way to get into heaven. If I ever told her, it would break her heart, which is why I won't.

I've always been partial to Roy Bailey's "I Ain't Afraid"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqqy7EnWW-I

Cheesy

The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you're one of the facts that needs altering
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »