Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 07:25 AM

New Britain
Today at 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: What do you think of the movie American Sniper?

(Read 6346 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • What do you think of the movie American Sniper?
     OP - July 19, 2016, 12:14 AM

I know the movie was released two years ago, but I just watched it now. I wonder what you guys think of the movie.

What I found it as a typical American movie: an American hero who is the "good guy" fights against the evil Iraqis / Arabs. And of course he somehow justifies in being in Iraq as protecting his own country from the evil.

So I read the Wikipedia article about the movie and about Chris Kyle. And when you read his version it differs from the movie. In the movie it seems like Kyle does have a problem with killing people. He is relatively modest and doesn't actually count how many people he killed. But when you read the interviews of the real Chris Kyle it is obvious that he didn't had a problem with killing Iraqis and he even regrets to not have killed more of them (source: German Wikipedia article).

I found the comment of Noam Chomsky interesting: what does it say about the American society if a cold-blooded killer is houred as a hero?
     Reply #1 - July 19, 2016, 12:32 AM

Haven't seen it. Don't wanna support it, or expose my brain to such garbage.
     Reply #2 - July 19, 2016, 12:37 AM

It was always thus.  Look at old black and white westerns, (and even some newer ones), and the hero frequently kills Native Americans who are always  portrayed as the bad guys.   Arabs are the new "Red Injuns" in American cinema just as muslims are the new Irish in Britain.

"Befriend them not, Oh murtads, and give them neither parrot nor bunny."  - happymurtad's advice on trolls.
     Reply #3 - July 19, 2016, 12:42 AM

Watch this documentary:

Reel Bad Arabs: How Hollywood Vilifies A People
     Reply #4 - July 19, 2016, 12:45 AM

Before 9/11 it was the Russians for a while.
     Reply #5 - July 28, 2016, 08:44 PM

I watched it.  I watch all war films.   

Soldiers kill the enemy because that is their job.  Snipers fit a particular psychological profile.  When a person joins the military they really have no choice in choosing the enemy.  They have to fight in whatever war that their country is involved with unless they choose to desert.  Usually the rules of engagement are shoot at whoever is shooting at you.   Who shoots first in most of battle scenes? 

I am not sure who you identify with in this film.  Maybe watch Independence Day (Will Smith) or Cowboys and Aliens (Daniel Craig) and see how you feel about the enemy. 

The unreligion, only one calorie
     Reply #6 - July 28, 2016, 08:56 PM

Soldiers kill the enemy because that is their job

That justification does not stand in a court of law. Not since the Nuremberg trials.

Principle IV of the Nuremberg trials:

"The fact that a person acted pursuant to order of his Government or of a superior does not relieve him from responsibility under international law, provided a moral choice was in fact possible to him."
     Reply #7 - July 28, 2016, 09:18 PM

Soldiers are not supposed to kill the enemy?  They are just supposed to waving their weapons around, scream insults and beat their chests like gorillas?  Maybe a dance off?

Yes, there are rules if the enemy or anyone even bothers to follow them.  There are war crimes. 

It is not always possible to capture the enemy.  It is just easier to kill someone than capture them. 

Reply #8 - July 28, 2016, 09:26 PM

I avoid war movies.....anything serious really. but the few film trailers I've seen in the past nearly always had bruce willis in a string vest and arab looking men as the villians. and then there was the time when most of the villians had upper class English accents.
     Reply #9 - July 28, 2016, 10:03 PM

Feel good patriot movie used to inspire the masses and to humanize the soldiers of one side, nothing more. It rarely touches on the issues surrounding why people load up their children with bombs.
     Reply #10 - July 29, 2016, 01:08 PM

Why do parents load up their children with bombs?

Reply #11 - July 29, 2016, 03:37 PM

Good question. The answer will vary for different people. However the movie never explores this, it only explores the main character's feelings then uses the emotions as a dodge to ignore the larger moral questions.

Reply #12 - July 29, 2016, 07:31 PM

The film is about mostly one character, the sniper.  Do you want to explain more about how the main moral question is dodged by his feelings? 

Reply #13 - July 30, 2016, 04:34 AM

...uses the emotions as a dodge to ignore the larger moral questions.

I hope those larger moral questions are why Iraq is a mess and why was Kyle there? Appears too many see Kyle’s bravado and the lies he told as the issue, rather than lies he believed. The lies which led America to war of choice, and brought ruin to Iraqi people. The same lies continue to be reinforced in mind of the public, thanks to Hollywood.

Joseph
     Reply #14 - July 30, 2016, 04:35 AM

I found the comment of Noam Chomsky interesting: what does it say about the American society if a cold-blooded killer is houred as a hero?

No more than it says about any society. 

Finnish sniper Simo Hayha (nicknamed White Death) is the most profilic sniper in history. Credited with 542 so-called confirmed kills of Soviet troops in span of 100 days, and additional 200 unconfirmed kills. A movie (titled White Death) of Sino’s exploits is currently in production, and scheduled for release in Jan 1, 2018. I don’t expect the Finnish public to boycott

Joseph
     Reply #15 - July 30, 2016, 11:59 AM

I hope those larger moral questions are why Iraq is a mess and why was Kyle there? Appears too many see Kyle’s bravado and the lies he told as the issue, rather than lies he believed. The lies which led America to war of choice, and brought ruin to Iraqi people. The same lies continue to be reinforced in mind of the public, thanks to Hollywood.

Joseph

If a soldier had joined up before the Iraq war was declared then they have to go to where they are sent. 

Was it ever proven that Iraq had weapons of mass destruction?  Or was funding the 9-11 terrorists?  Many Americans even wonder about this.

Reply #16 - July 30, 2016, 02:39 PM

Let me answer the questions of Mr. Bee
    Was it ever proven that Iraq had weapons of mass destruction?

Answer is NO

Or was funding the 9-11 terrorists? 

Again   Answer is NO.,and a careful analysis of where that funding came to those brutal rogues tells that it came from American Tax payers money

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #17 - July 30, 2016, 04:53 PM

If a soldier had joined up before the Iraq war was declared then they have to go to where they are sent.

Bee, my post was not about duty bound soldier(s), or whether he/she joined before or after. It was about the lies then, and how they continue to be told.

Joseph
     Reply #18 - July 30, 2016, 10:27 PM

The film is about mostly one character, the sniper.  Do you want to explain more about how the main moral question is dodged by his feelings? 

The movie fails to address the background issues which he is directly involved in. The whole setting is a caricature for the main character rather than an honest representation of the situation Iraq has faced solely in order for the character to have these emotional responses in a vacuum. The destruction of the city surrounding him doesn't trigger an major emotional response, rather it is one incident with a child which quickly fails to address why a child, and it's mother, would commit such an act. We are to focus on how "rough" life is for a professional sniper and ignore how rough life is for the people surrounding him. It is a feel good political film for a select auience, namely people that feel the utter destruction of Iraq was a "good thing". You should also read the book by this very sniper in which he brags about killing "savages" and how the "noble" invasion of Iraq was to protect America. News flash, the invasion made the situation worse.

The movie is the typical post-war product of Hollywood in which a questionable war is reduced down to American individuals in order to muster sympathy all while the millions of non-Americas are set pieces and to be ignored. Hollywood did this for a decade with the Vietnam War. Our poor soldiers..... they had it so rough....
     Reply #19 - July 30, 2016, 10:58 PM

Joseph

Yes those are among two of the many questions. These question are not intended by the creator of the movie, Eastwood, nor the book's author, Kyle himself. All background issues are to be ignored so we can have our white knight.

Kyle's bravado is hard to ignore if you read about the man. A completely loathsome individual that dehumanized the Iraqis surrounding him, his willingness to accept a narrative that is false, standing by this narrative even after it was exposed as a lie and other patriotic nonsense such as noble cause.  Keep in mind the movie is based on him and his book. Hollywood "cleans" up Kyle's character so he can be the white knight rather than being the asshole he is.
     Reply #20 - July 30, 2016, 11:08 PM

Was it ever proven that Iraq had weapons of mass destruction?  Or was funding the 9-11 terrorists?  Many Americans even wonder about this.

They can resign. A number did so.

The reasons for the war were shown to be false from misinformation to the public to unreliable information from Baathists trying to save their skin.
     Reply #21 - July 30, 2016, 11:15 PM

No more than it says about any society. 

Finnish sniper Simo Hayha (nicknamed White Death) is the most profilic sniper in history. Credited with 542 so-called confirmed kills of Soviet troops in span of 100 days, and additional 200 unconfirmed kills. A movie (titled White Death) of Sino’s exploits is currently in production, and scheduled for release in Jan 1, 2018. I don’t expect the Finnish public to boycott

Joseph

Finland was invaded by the Soviets. Kyle was part of an invasion force not the defending force. Simo was a battlefield sniper not someone in a urban setting deciding between which civilians were targets or actually civilians. The political goals of Finland was no where near as questionable as the invasion of Iraq
     Reply #22 - July 31, 2016, 05:30 AM

Let me answer the questions of Mr. BeeAnswer is NO

That is very wrong. Iraq had a huge chemical (and biological and nuclear) weapons program.

And they had demonstrated the willingness to use them on both the Iranians and the Kurds.
    (And the big countries knew what he had, because he was an ally and they had delivered much of the hardware...)

After the first Gulf war, the facilities and stockpiles were destroyed, and here is the difference. Saddam kept up the idea that he had them, and the Americans saw no need to call his bluff.
     Reply #23 - July 31, 2016, 06:05 AM

Our poor soldiers..... they had it so rough....

A person that read the book, would not expect the movie to be historical indictment of the war. Nonetheless I don’t know of any movie industry in any country demonizing its soldiers, but I’m willing to be informed to the contrary.

Obviously you are contemptuous of American soldiers, and see them as evil men. As much as you’d like to believe otherwise, you are no different than them, and they are no different than you. However should you wish to know the people you’re criticizing, read Philip Caputo’s, A Rumor of War. Published in 1977 two years of after the fall of South Vietnam, and produced as two part TV/movie mini-series in 1980. Imo, Caputo’s retrospective book could not have been published any sooner, and the message is timeless. Perhaps you’ll understand whether wars are questionable or not, soldiers are not the evil men you believe.

Joseph 
     Reply #24 - July 31, 2016, 06:29 AM

Finland was invaded by the Soviet. Kyle was part of an invasion force not the defending force

Kyle was not the invasion force, nor did he send himself to Iraq. But I do like your razzle-dazzle. Simo kills were good kills of Russian soldiers, who had no say in the invasion. FWIW Finland-Russia border dispute didn't suddenly begin 1939.

Joseph
     Reply #25 - July 31, 2016, 07:30 AM

Kyle's bravado is hard to ignore if you read about the man.

I read his book and what was said about him. I understand most here don't have a clue about war, but I don't read what you read. Kyle betrayed himself, and left himself open to unjust characterization. I have little reason to doubt had Kyle lived, in 20-25 years he would express a different retrospect, and his now critics would be his sympathizers..

Joseph
     Reply #26 - July 31, 2016, 10:09 AM

I read his book and what was said about him. I understand most here don't have a clue about war, but I don't read what you read. Kyle betrayed himself, and left himself open to unjust characterization. I have little reason to doubt had Kyle lived, in 20-25 years he would express a different retrospect, and his now critics would be his sympathizers..

Joseph

Ifs and maybes.... Not very convincing arguments...

You seem to forget there is also a negative side to experiences of war in which such change of the heart never happens. A lot of people hold on to their hatred of the "other" people due to losses suffered. Many vets still rant using stereotypes of their enemies.

Kyle was not the invasion force, nor did he send himself to Iraq. But I do like your razzle-dazzle. Simo kills were good kills of Russian soldiers, who had no say in the invasion. FWIW Finland-Russia border dispute didn't suddenly begin 1939.

Joseph

He was in the US military thus a member of the invading nation's military. If he had issues regarding the war he could of resigned. Instead he remained in the service for at least two tours of duty. He bears the responsibility for his choice along with his defense of the war after the reasons for it were to be shown to be lies he made in writing. Russian soldiers were conscripts under a regime that did not allow for one to resign. These soldiers could of accept the consequences of not fighting, they didn't. Apparently you think being in the military means giving up free will.

Do you even know anything about the Soviet Union and it's policies? If you did you would understand how flawed your comparison is
     Reply #27 - August 01, 2016, 05:28 PM

You seem to forget there is also a negative side to experiences of war

Remember this… “Our poor soldiers..... they had it so rough....”

You know, you give impression of being more interested winning an argument, except this time you're not talking out of your mouth. The so-called negative experience is the moral injury to soldiers that should be the discussions. I recommend a book to you for that reason, when sending Kyle and his brothers in arms to the gallows is all you cared about.  Dehumanizing is how humans tolerate killing., an importance the movie sorely missed. Hundreds of thousand of veterans are struggling with their humanity, and have a different story than Kyle’s. Because of the movie they will probably never be heard and remain in the shadows.

The movie blinded critics to real issues. Scriptwriters and actors are not Chris Kyle. He is merely a pawn of culture industry which regenerate propaganda fiction in façade of true story.  Critics have lost awareness, and channel their anger at Kyle, rather than the authorities and institutions which skillfully weave the lies Chris Kyles of the world believe. Lies that are harvesting repercussions for America, leading from one dumb war to another, in so-called War on Terror. This is what makes the movie dangerous, not braggadocio.

The public, OP, Chomsky and you have been suckered into the wrong debate, while both presidential candidates are promising more of the same.

I’ve enjoyed riding your dead horse, but time for me to dismount.

Joseph

Reply #28 - August 01, 2016, 06:54 PM

Nothing that the decades of war glorifying movies by Hollywood haven't shouted to the world already, I'm afraid.

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #29 - August 02, 2016, 05:04 AM

Remember this… “Our poor soldiers..... they had it so rough....”

Everyone has it rough in one way or another. I raise the question if sympathy for soldiers that fight in a questionable war should be hailed as heroes. There is a difference between sympathy from medical condition resulting from a war and a blowhard pandering for sympathy while making a profit.

You know, you give impression of being more interested winning an argument, except this time you're not talking out of your mouth. The so-called negative experience is the moral injury to soldiers that should be the discussions. I recommend a book to you for that reason, when sending Kyle and his brothers in arms to the gallows is all you cared about.  Dehumanizing is how humans tolerate killing., an importance the movie sorely missed. Hundreds of thousand of veterans are struggling with their humanity, and have a different story than Kyle’s. Because of the movie they will probably never be heard and remain in the shadows.

If winning means pointing out your comparison was flawed then so be it.

I took issues with Kyle and two examples which you generalized to include more than 1 individual. You now assumed by your own generalization I am "throwing everybody under the bus". What I am arguing against is the blind patriotism Kyle supported. Again there is a difference between soldiers injured as a result of a war compared to a person babbling about their political and racist views while calling for sympathy. Their service does not negate horrible views they hold nor does it inspire sympathy. There is also a difference between being sympathetic to Vet that do not receive the assistance their require from their own government and open pandering.

The movie blinded critics to real issues. Scriptwriters and actors are not Chris Kyle. He is merely a pawn of culture industry which regenerate propaganda fiction in façade of true story.  Critics have lost awareness, and channel their anger at Kyle, rather than the authorities and institutions which skillfully weave the lies Chris Kyles of the world believe. Lies that are harvesting repercussions for America, leading from one dumb war to another, in so-called War on Terror. This is what makes the movie dangerous, not braggadocio.

The movie was toned down from the book. Critics were not blinded to the issues vets face. They merely pointed out the message was aimed for sympathy for the "us" and dehumanization of the "them". It is a problem that many American refuse to acknowledge the other side *enemy) nor the consequences of their foreign policy, Now if critics pointed out his basis for his view points were supplied by the government have been espoused as false by matter of fact they also acknowledge the government responsibility. However you want to absolve Kyle of this horrible view because he believed the government as if he was in a vacuum with no opposing views. People are responsible for choices, Kyle made a choice and stood by it after it was shown to be false. Unless you want to claim he was completely brainwashed.

The public, OP, Chomsky and you have been suckered into the wrong debate, while both presidential candidates are promising more of the same. 

You seem to think I am 1. American. 2. Think either party is going to change foreign policy drastically.

Both parties are toning down the rhetoric but are using catchall terms such as "Jihadist" without providing an definition that is applicable to a group and/or nation. Whatever enemy they wish to be in conflict with will fail under a catchall term. It will be more of the same yet under a different label.

I’ve enjoyed riding your dead horse, but time for me to dismount.

Yes your faulty comparisons and projection of views I do not hold are a great horse. I bet your enjoyed knocking down your own strawman. You must be impressed with yourself

• 1« Previous thread | Next thread »