Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Today at 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Another newbie jumping on board

(Read 3374 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Another newbie jumping on board
     OP - July 16, 2016, 07:16 PM

Hi everyone!

I'm KC, female. I feel it would be inaccurate to describe myself as an ex-Muslim as I don't feel I was ever Muslim to begin with. My background is mixed i.e. white/SE Asian/E Asian and I was raised in a town that was practically all white. There was one Muslim boy in my class in primary. Although never raised to be religious in any way (never taught Arabic or praying etc) as I grew older some of my siblings began getting into Islam and tried to force it on me introduce me to it.

I can remember spending some time at one married sister's house and her teaching me to pray. At first I happy to give it a go, because why not, but honestly, while going through the motions, all the prostrations and whatnot, I felt nothing. I did not feel connected with God and to tell the truth it felt like a chore, having to do all the washing beforehand and stuff. I do feel that there's a God, higher power, whatever you want to call it, but I never found God by all those OCD rituals. Sorry, I don't mean that in an insulting way.

My parents are now deceased and I don't have contact with most of my siblings, so I feel quite lucky in that I don't have to justify myself to anyone. It makes me sad when I see some of the posts on here with people getting pressure from their families because of their feelings about Islam.

There are many other reasons that stopped me from embracing it as a religion but chiefly it is the gross misogyny within Islam. I actually stumble upon this website sometime last summer when I became so disgusted at the very concept of a headscarf and I found a post on here stating all the reasons why it is so vile and oppressive. Because I worked in a town with a large Muslim+S Asian population, my surname automatically led colleagues (both Muslim and non Muslim) to assume I was Muslim too. I never had the courage to correct them and just played along. I would just pretend I understood when I heard them using terms like "nikar" and "desi" and stuff. I'm still not even sure what desi means - South Asian?? Lol. Sorry if this turned into a rant, but it feels good to finally have this weight off my shoulders of pretending to be something I'm not.

I lost myself
    I think I need someone in here?
    I know I'm sane
    But still my daemon calls me
     Reply #1 - July 17, 2016, 12:13 AM

Welcome KC  parrot

I think you should open a new topic. Just go back to Introductions and click on "New topic"
     Reply #2 - July 17, 2016, 10:09 AM

Oops...newbie still getting to grips with the system, sorry. Any idea if it's possible to delete my post? I looked but couldn't find an option. Also, thanks for your welcome  Smiley

I lost myself
    I know I'm sane
     Reply #3 - July 17, 2016, 10:11 AM

I guess you can not delete it completely. You can just delete the text by clicking on edit.
     Reply #4 - July 17, 2016, 10:44 AM

Thanks, ElToro, I tried that and it brings up a message about the message box being empty. I guess there isn't a way to delete it after all  Huh?

I lost myself
    I know I'm sane
     Reply #5 - July 17, 2016, 11:03 AM

KC you can't delete threads, but I have split this topic off instead.

Welcome to the forum.   parrot

Inhale the good shit, exhale the bullshit.
     Reply #6 - July 17, 2016, 05:36 PM

parrot Welcome!
    I have only ever heard desi used in reference to people from the Subcontinent, by the selfsame. Surely someone else will correct me if there is another group it refers to.

Don't let Hitler have the street.
     Reply #7 - July 17, 2016, 08:15 PM

Desi is a word in many Indian languages for someone from the same desh (country).

Desi is typically used among Indians to refer to people, food, and practices that are from India Smiley

The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you're one of the facts that needs altering
     Reply #8 - July 17, 2016, 09:14 PM

Welcome to the forum KC  parrot
     Reply #9 - July 18, 2016, 06:54 AM

Hi, thank you all for your lovely warm welcome  Smiley and for the parrots  parrot

Desi is one of those words I tried to guess the meaning of through context, it's nice to have some confirmation of its meaning now.  thnkyu

I lost myself
    I know I'm sane
     Reply #10 - July 18, 2016, 04:27 PM

Oh, and hi KC!  grin12

The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you're one of the facts that needs altering
     Reply #11 - July 18, 2016, 11:08 PM

Welcome  parrot
     Reply #12 - July 18, 2016, 11:26 PM

Welcome!  parrot
     Reply #13 - July 19, 2016, 02:35 AM

Welcome to the forum KC, have a rabbit!  bunny

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP