Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Yesterday at 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Between a rock and a hard place

(Read 1633 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Between a rock and a hard place
     OP - June 25, 2016, 09:08 AM

Hey guys. It's Ramadan and most of our families are extra religious (mine included).

My family has begun to listen to me and my doubts. This is very strange seeing that it is ramadan and you would expect them to be super close minded now, normally they don't want to listen but instead they are completely different.

They really value honestly, no matter how I try to show them Islam has human origins and is not divine or even immaculate by the most lenient standards, they still retain their blind faith and at the same time want to know more about what I think.

They retain their blind faith even though they have this fairly liberal view on the religion. They still force me to do things I don't want to like Taraweeh and some fasts but nonetheless they can not see any flaws in their reasoning.

They refuse to consider they are wrong but they still listen to me. They become less strict with me when I talk about my doubts, but I found they are being hurt on a deep level. They really believe I am being influenced by the devil and the other day I saw both my parents crying in their bedroom (I started to eavesdrop, they were crying because they are convinced I left Islam which I did and they now feel like failures for not being able to pass on the faith to even one generation in North America); I am not an emotional person at all, but it was unbearable for me to see my parents in this state, to make matters worse they wouldn't get crazy or anything, they would just take it and I guess assume they are being punished from god. It really hurt when I saw the dissapointment and fear they had, they didn't want to put me in a difficult place by trying to convince me Islam is true because they realize I am much smarter than them and I have high expectations for belief that they do not understand, instead they let me be who I am and just swallowed the pain and guilt of not raising a proper child who will now be tormented for eternity. It is killing them and I can't sit here watching it happen  Cry

Now I want to completely end any conversations of religion with them and start pretending to believe in Islam again taking part in the rituals. So they think I just had temporary doubts, I do not want to be the cause of unnecessary pain for them even if it means me being the bigger man and putting my wishes second to them.
    I won't die if I stop drinking and consuming pork and being anti-religion. I guess this is what it means truly loving family no matter their flaws (understanding they can't change and don't deserve to live out their golden years in mental torment of the thought of their son going to hell; everyone deserves to be happy, especially the people that left their families and community and traveled to North America in hopes of giving their kids opportunities they never had and struggled to make ends meet so their kids could have a childhood they never had; at some point I need to let them enjoy their lives for once and for all and not worry about paying bills or the afterlife of their offspring).

Have any of you guys experienced anything remotely similar to this?
    What did you guys do and if you could turn back time would you act differently knowing what you know now?

Thanks, I needed to get this off this off my shoulders, it was too much to bottle up.

As a scientist I can see farther than any human before me by standing on the shoulders of giants (previous scientists); As a religious follower I can not see what is right in-front of me, even when others INDEPENDENTLY see the same thing!
  • Between a rock and a hard place
     Reply #1 - July 04, 2016, 11:11 PM

Thank you Afghan Hassan. Your post resonates with me.

I can handle my pain most of then time but it's their sheer helplessness that gets to me the most. I now just see these ageing faces who are weaker than they used to be who have tried their best and watched their dreams for my life/afterlife sort of die. Their love for me comes through more often now and I don't know what to do with that love because im often so consumed by guilt or fear.

In terms of their dreams (fears) for my afterlife, I see that as extraneous to their innate nature, it's not the "real" them and when I step back from it I realise I don't want to live someone else's dream. That afterlife idea when viewed clearly without guilt for parents reveals itself as quite an egoic idea. Your faith is not their failure, it's the failure of a flawed model of the world whose time has passed.

Ultimately we are not responsible for our parents happiness... we are fortunate to have parents that accept us, it's a blessing that many ex Muslims don't ever get. Doesn't make it easier but for me it does give me a sense of purpose that I don't want to live a "half life" by choice, partly because it damages my soul but also out of solidarity with the people who don't have a choice.

But no judgment, I totally understand why you'd want to go through the motions to try to make them happy. I have done it in the past and may do it again but I know that my own soul can only take so much and I now want it to be free.

• 1« Previous thread | Next thread »