Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 05:47 AM

New Britain
April 16, 2024, 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Ex Muslim from Manchester

(Read 4880 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Ex Muslim from Manchester
     OP - June 21, 2016, 06:52 PM

Hey Everyone, my name is Hassan and I'm from Manchester, UK.

I've been browsing this forum for a couple of years now and have finally decided to come out of the shadows. I have previously been hesitant to join the forum, partly because I was not really comfortable with the Ex Muslim identity and partly down to me not ready to share my experiences, even anonymously. I'm joining now as I really do need to have an outlet where I can express my views without holding anything back. I have friends who I can be honest with, but because the majority of the people I am friends with are Muslims it sometimes feel like they would prefer if I was silent and not talk about matters they have not really explored themselves but feel really strongly about.

I am someone who is partially out of the closet, my friends and some of my family know, but I have not reached the stage of telling my parents. My father was born in Pakistan and currently works at the local mosque, he is the Caretaker as well as runs the Madrasa and deals with personal issues within the Barelvi community. My mother was born in the UK but had parents from the same region as my father, she has more of a cultural Muslim identity - although since my father has become more involved in the mosque my mother externally seems more religious and takes part in activities at the mosque. I would say, because of my parents being brought up in different worlds, I have never really been sure where I belonged. My father is still culturally Pakistani (village mentality), he still wears Shalwar Kameez on a daily basis despite being in this country for around 30 years, he is quite dismissive of western society as a whole. My mother, on the other hand, is culturally British and raised me and my siblings to be British, even if it meant hiding it from my father. To this day me and my siblings, even though we are all adults, we do not openly listen to music or watch TV shows my father would not approve of whenever he is around.

I would say the authoritarian attitude of my religious father, as well as the Pakistani Muslim community I was brought up in, caused me to question my identity throughout my life which led to me openly accepting I was not a Muslim during my time at university. When I was a teenager I stopped praying and acknowledge that the only reason I was praying was because of my fear of being seen in a negatively light by my father rather than god. As I got older I became more rebellious towards religious practices, for example truanting Tarawih, Milad un Nabi and other events I was expected to attend at the mosque as well as pretending to fast. I maintained a religious image but certainly did not live up to it. When I got to sixth form (education in UK for people between the age of 16 to 18) I became more rebellious to Islam openly in front of my peers by not praying Juma'ah or fasting during Ramadhan, but I never expressed my lack of faith to anyone because I didn't really trust people from my community due to past experiences of people informing other members of my family about what I've been up to. I'm pretty sure a lot of people on this forum will be familiar with the Karma Police of Muslims/Pakistani's communities who have let others know about your transgressions. It was only when I got to university that I really explored my identity, internally than externally. I first tried strengthening my faith by looking for things which supported Islam, I even looked to Conspiracy Theories for a while - Conspiracy Theories were a norm among people I grew up with, I certainly lost respect for a lot of people when I saw the faulty logic that they were based on. But I eventually accepted reality and admitted to myself that I wasn't a Muslim and I need to stop pretending to be one.

Over the last 4 years I have opened up to many people about my disbelief, most of them  being Muslim. My Non-Muslim friends didn't see it as a big deal but all my Muslim friends acted like I have just proclaimed my self to be a Prophet or God because it was not possible to believe in a world without a God and a person born into a Muslim family couldn't reject Islam based on reason and logic due to it being the complete truth. To this day, a lot of my friends still expect me to admit I was wrong to reject Islam and stop making them insecure about the lack of understanding of their faith and culture. But I don't really see that happening anytime soon. My siblings know I am not a Muslim but they don't really see it as a good idea to tell my parents due to conflict that it will cause. There has already been occasions when people tried to use the rumour of me not being a Muslim against a member of my family so I am less open than I would prefer to be.

Today I see myself as being a Atheist/Agnostic/Humanist/Secularist and although I reject religion I am certainly not Anti-theistic. Throughout my life I have never met another Ex Muslim or spoke to one, so I look forward to conversing with people on this forum.

To be honest, when I started this post I didn't intend to write this much so thank you to anyone who actually reads this, I really appreciate it and I look forward to participating in this forum.
     Reply #1 - June 21, 2016, 07:30 PM

Welcome!

I was more active a few years ago, but my participation has lessened the more I went away from living in a Muslim environment. Bad life decisions with employment, and other issues outside of my control, landed me in this hellhole [a particular city] again. So here I am, although, I am by no means in the closet like I used to be when I was a teenager. Just the other day, I was asked to be taken to an exorcism since I am definitely anti-theistic. On the flip-side, it doesn't bother me what others do in that department since I do not believe in afterlife consequences. Just as long as nobody's freedom is being taken away or people aren't being hurt.

These days, I post about my writing, personal experiences/self-help threads, and music. Enjoy your time here.

"Work without hope draws nectar in a sieve, and hope without an object cannot live." -Coleridge

http://sinofgreed.wordpress.com/
     Reply #2 - June 21, 2016, 08:12 PM

Thank you movingfeet for responding and sharing something about yourself.

I don't think I have come across anyone who has suggested that I need to be exorcised. The only people I know who have apparently been exorcised are antisocial individuals who go to Pakistan with their families and get dragged into it. Since I do not conform to cultural practices and because of my blatant lack of interest in religion there has been a couple of occasion when I had been called into a room and had a highly religious do some mumbo jumbo to detect that I have been affected by the Evil Eye and been prescribed prayers for it to go away.

If it wasn't for my problems with depression and anxiety I think I would of got out of this hellhole a long time ago. Hopefully, I have it in me to one day to escape.

From what I have seen of this forum there seems to be a broad range of views, so I look forward to spending time on this forum and broadening my own mindset.
     Reply #3 - June 21, 2016, 08:22 PM

Welcome aboard.

It was a long introduction, but it definitely was worth reading.

I am happy to present you with a welcome parrot  parrot
    (I still have not found out why, but it is a custom around here)
     Reply #4 - June 21, 2016, 08:23 PM

Hi Hassan. thank you for sharing so much I understand it's a lot of emotions going into this.

I also am new and introduced myself here: http://www.councilofexmuslims.com/index.php?topic=30161.new#new

I don't think your non-muslim friends would ever understand how big a deal it is. You have to be really brave to question your beliefs and even more so to leave them. It takes a lot to do that. But I understand and welcome you aboard.

As far as revealing your apostasy I wouldn't do it till at least you're more independant or have started your own family. Then you can truly begin your own chapter and you don't have to rely on your previous family as support network. Build your own foundations small and grow them.

Salaam.

Reply #5 - June 21, 2016, 09:01 PM

Thank you movingfeet for responding and sharing something about yourself.

I don't think I have come across anyone who has suggested that I need to be exorcised.

That's my mother for you. I can't even listen to their Quran being played for longer than half an hour before I start extremely angry.

The only people I know who have apparently been exorcised are antisocial individuals who go to Pakistan with their families and get dragged into it. Since I do not conform to cultural practices and because of my blatant lack of interest in religion there has been a couple of occasion when I had been called into a room and had a highly religious do some mumbo jumbo to detect that I have been affected by the Evil Eye and been prescribed prayers for it to go away.

That is scary on both counts. That is just one facet of why I abhor religion so much especially parents that push it on their children.

If it wasn't for my problems with depression and anxiety I think I would of got out of this hellhole a long time ago. Hopefully, I have it in me to one day to escape.

From what I have seen of this forum there seems to be a broad range of views, so I look forward to spending time on this forum and broadening my own mindset.

I hear you about the depression. I have been dealing with that myself for years. You will make it one day. This forum will do you good, I hope.

"Work without hope draws nectar in a sieve, and hope without an object cannot live." -Coleridge

Reply #6 - June 21, 2016, 09:24 PM

Welcome aboard.

It was a long introduction, but it definitely was worth reading.

I am happy to present you with a welcome parrot  parrot
    (I still have not found out why, but it is a custom around here)

Thanks Ursus for your kind words and the welcome parrot.
     Reply #7 - June 21, 2016, 09:55 PM

Hi Hassan. thank you for sharing so much I understand it's a lot of emotions going into this.

I also am new and introduced myself here: http://www.councilofexmuslims.com/index.php?topic=30161.new#new

I don't think your non-muslim friends would ever understand how big a deal it is. You have to be really brave to question your beliefs and even more so to leave them. It takes a lot to do that. But I understand and welcome you aboard.

As far as revealing your apostasy I wouldn't do it till at least you're more independant or have started your own family. Then you can truly begin your own chapter and you don't have to rely on your previous family as support network. Build your own foundations small and grow them.

Salaam.

Salaam Has, thanks for the message and sharing your introduction.

Your right about non-Muslims, the culture that they are brought up in is a lot more accepting of people going against their faith than South Asians. Even non-Muslims members of my family are not that aware of how hard it is in confronting tradition, let alone going against the very foundations that they are built on.

I completely agree with a lot of what you said, especially you when you say ''If you need religious morals to guide your behaviour, you're potentially dangerous I believe.'' It is strange how many Muslims basically call themselves monsters when they try defend the moral guidance of Islam, if only they knew it wasn't the religion what made them who they are it is the environment they were brought up in.

The books you are into seem to be all on my to-read list. If you are into to reading you might want to check out a book a stumbled across last year on Ex Muslims by Simon Cottee https://www.amazon.co.uk/Apostates-When-Muslims-Leave-Islam/dp/1849044694 

Reply #8 - June 21, 2016, 10:13 PM

That's my mother for you. I can't even listen to their Quran being played for longer than half an hour before I start extremely angry.

I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully exorcism never crosses my fathers mind, he is the type of person who drops things on to you and you don't have any chance of escaping without making a massive deal about it. Last year though I did reject becoming a Murid to a Pir from Pakistan, who was staying at my house, on the grounds that I don't believe in spiritual links between people. Somehow I got away with no one questioning my other lack of beliefs.

I have an uncle who claims that a Jinn inside of him makes him angry when ever he hears the Quran or prays. He also claims he has a guardian Jinn that protected him when he had a car crash when he was younger. To be honest, I find it difficult to take members of my family seriously when they say stuff like that especially when they clearly are not religious in the slightest.

But if my uncle is right, maybe your mother is onto something.  Smiley

Reply #9 - June 21, 2016, 10:36 PM

That is scary on both counts. That is just one facet of why I abhor religion so much especially parents that push it on their children.

I hear you about the depression. I have been dealing with that myself for years. You will make it one day. This forum will do you good, I hope.

I completely agree with your sentiment towards religion on this issue, but this is more of a cultural problem than a religious one. Most young Muslims I know feel the exact same way as me and it seems like this controlling attitude is not going to be present in at the most a couple of generations time.

From what I've seen on this forum so far, it seems like depression it quite a common thing among Ex muslims. I will certainly be looking at how other people cope with it.
     Reply #10 - June 21, 2016, 11:07 PM

Welcome, Hassan. I read every word of your introduction and would have read on, had there been more  Wink 

there were a couple of points I wanted to comment on but our fish and chips took priority Tongue

Vans in for service Thursday so I anticipate the forum to be flooded with lengthy posts from me, then. For now, have one of these  parrot
     Reply #11 - June 21, 2016, 11:22 PM

There is no such thing as Jinn or demons. Religion is disgusting and hearing the filth over the speakers that they think is holy and a "blessing" is putrid noise clutter.

Reply #12 - June 21, 2016, 11:25 PM

On the issue of depression, there is a thread running about it at the moment:

http://www.councilofexmuslims.com/index.php?topic=30148.0

Reply #13 - June 21, 2016, 11:50 PM

Welcome, Hassan. I read every word of your introduction and would have read on, had there been more  Wink 

there were a couple of points I wanted to comment on but our fish and chips took priority Tongue

Vans in for service Thursday so I anticipate the forum to be flooded with lengthy posts from me, then. For now, have one of these  parrot

Thanks jrg, I hope to hear more from you in the foreseeable future
     Reply #14 - June 22, 2016, 12:03 AM

There is no such thing as Jinn or demons. Religion is disgusting and hearing the filth over the speakers that they think is holy and a "blessing" is putrid noise clutter.

When it comes to Jinns and demons, it seems to be a major factor for religious believers who are more superstitious in every aspect of life. From the way my uncle and his siblings talk about jinns and black magic, it seems to be a tenet of Islam for them. It looks like to me, most people who believe adamantly in jinns where given scare stories as children and just never grew out of them.
    On the issue of depression, there is a thread running about it at the moment:

http://www.councilofexmuslims.com/index.php?topic=30148.0

Thanks for the link, I will definitely be checking it out.
     Reply #15 - June 22, 2016, 01:34 AM

I concur.

Reply #16 - June 30, 2016, 11:29 AM

Hi Silent Mancunian,

welcome to the forum  parrot

It was interesting to read your story, thanks for sharing  Smiley
     Reply #17 - June 30, 2016, 12:16 PM

Welcome to the forum Silent Mancunian, have a rabbit!  bunny

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #18 - June 30, 2016, 03:04 PM

Welcome

So which one are you? A united fan or City fan?

"I'm standing here like an asshole holding my Charles Dickens"

"No theory,No ready made system,no book that has ever been written to save the world. i cleave to no system.."-Bakunin
     Reply #19 - June 30, 2016, 03:12 PM

Welcome to the forum Silent Mancunian, have a rabbit!  bunny

Hi Silent Mancunian,

welcome to the forum  parrot

It was interesting to read your story, thanks for sharing  Smiley

Thank you for the welcome
    Welcome

I'm neither city or united, Arsenal all the way. How about yourself?

Reply #20 - June 30, 2016, 04:39 PM

Welcome

Grin

I'm neither city or united, Arsenal all the way.

Cheesy
     Reply #21 - June 30, 2016, 08:29 PM

Welcome

haha actually that was also my first thought  Cheesy
     Reply #22 - July 02, 2016, 08:04 AM

I'm neither city or united, Arsenal all the way. How about yourself?

Same here. Gooner through and through.

"I'm standing here like an asshole holding my Charles Dickens"

"No theory,No ready made system,no book that has ever been written to save the world. i cleave to no system.."-Bakunin
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »