Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Ex-Muslim new to the forum :)

(Read 2910 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Ex-Muslim new to the forum :)
     OP - June 09, 2016, 11:14 AM

Hello there! I am new to this forum so would like to introduce myself. I have been an ex muslim for around a year now. I was born and raised in the UK, but my parents are originally Middle Eastern from the Sunni sect. I wouldn't say my parents are strict but I think they started to become slightly strict with me when I became a teenager, as that's when they started to become afraid of me being influenced by western society.

Let me say I was a quite the rebellious teen when they started to shove religion down my throat. I used to enjoy sports, music, art and when I entered high school and was made to wear the headscarf, my mother began to mould me into her ideal Muslim daughter. So for most of my life I was a Muslim by name only and obviously the headscarf. I never practiced Islam and only participated in the fasts because they were fun when I was younger. As I grew older though, I started to go through depression and turned to religion. I believe religion especially Islam, sucks in vulnerable people. So I started to read hadiths and about Islam and I would say I tried to follow it for around 2 years but couldn't bring myself to pray 5 times a day no matter how hard I tried.

The more I read hadiths the more I found them to be downright sexist and that made me start to question the religion as a whole. I also couldn't bring myself to believe the ritual of hajj and umrah as Godly, it was just totally ridiculous to me and seemed wrong in all aspects. Eventually, this led me to be a Quran only Muslim, where I rejected all hadiths and stuck with that for about a year. It was much more relaxed but eventually I found in the Quran only community that we were just desperately trying to justify and twist the Quran to mean something better than what it actually is.

After that I made the decision to not obsess over any book and what it can possibly mean because quite frankly, I could no longer care. I know right from wrong, how to be a decent human and how to treat others kindly and that is all that matters. So I am now back to my rebellious years lol and have removed the headscarf after a long hard battle with my family. Funny thing is I had to use their own religion to convince them, as headscarf is not mentioned in Quran. So that's a little taste of my conversion to kufur guys and I love it! See y'all in hell for a good old rave  dance bunny
     Reply #1 - June 09, 2016, 02:44 PM

Welcome!  parrot
     Reply #2 - June 09, 2016, 08:05 PM

Welcome to the "dark side" Lol, once you enter, you never leave.
    -Unlike the Muzzies we don't cut your head off, but it is because our lives are more fun and fulfilling  bunny

As a scientist I can see farther than any human before me by standing on the shoulders of giants (previous scientists); As a religious follower I can not see what is right in-front of me, even when others INDEPENDENTLY see the same thing!
     Reply #3 - June 09, 2016, 09:36 PM

Welcome  parrot

nice to have you here Smiley
     Reply #4 - June 09, 2016, 09:48 PM

Welcome WaykeyKaykey, you seem to be a fun loving kid.  danceparrot yes
     Reply #5 - June 09, 2016, 10:20 PM

Welcome parrot
     Reply #6 - June 21, 2016, 08:08 PM

Hi there Way.

I'm new myself and introduced myself here: http://www.councilofexmuslims.com/index.php?topic=30161.new#new

About your depression thing. I can relate to that a bit because I felt that even when I was in religion. I would still consider myself mildy depressed occasionally (though I was never severe to begin with) but I was the same whilst following anyway. Fundamentally the problem is with me so I have to work on that.

But not having to do all these ritualistic things certainly helps! Like seriously who wants to starve and pray that often?! Lol have a good one!
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »