Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Today at 08:44 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
Today at 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Today at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Is Islam the religion of peace that it claims to be?

(Read 4119 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Is Islam the religion of peace that it claims to be?
     OP - May 30, 2016, 07:16 PM

Islam is a religion that constantly awards itself the title of "religion of peace." In light of recent and not-so-recent events, I investigate whether or not Islam is what it claims to be in my wordpress blog called metalpencraft (google it; I'm not allowed to post links).

Extra information: I'm a first year BSc Theoretical Physics student at Stellenbosch University in South Africa. I am an ex-Muslim, though my family do not know that yet.
     Reply #1 - May 30, 2016, 07:27 PM

Welcome to the forum, Horns of Allah.  I'll just move this to Introductions so people can see it.

"Befriend them not, Oh murtads, and give them neither parrot nor bunny."  - happymurtad's advice on trolls.
     Reply #2 - May 30, 2016, 10:27 PM

Islam is not religion of peace.
    Quran is enough evidence for that claim.

quran is full with verses of hate and violence.

I think you have some problem.
    Every thing I post, looks weird to you.

Reply #3 - May 31, 2016, 06:09 PM

No, Islam isn't, at least not if you take it literally, and obey it word for word.

But for some Muslims, Islam genuinely means peace to them.  They take from it, a different interpretation than the literal one that hard-liners (and the Quran itself) insist you have to.

This applies to all the Abrahamic religions, its followers are the enactment of peace, or hate.  It's just the hateful ones we always hear about.

I'm an ex-Muslim, I am not defending Islam, I just find the argument about whether Islam is peaceful or not, far too often ends up focusing hate towards everyday Muslims, who consider its message to be one of peace.  I of course think their wrong, but that's my interpretation, not theirs. 

Inhale the good shit, exhale the bullshit.
     Reply #4 - May 31, 2016, 07:25 PM

Well said Berbs.
     Reply #5 - May 31, 2016, 07:39 PM

Put it this way, yes all the major religions - especially the Abrahamic ones - were developed in ancient times by human beings far removed from where man has evolved to now. They are full of misogyny and violence towards unbelievers. Most believers of any religion are not however violent nor as misogynistic as the original texts are. Yes without doubt Muslims are still lagging far behind when it comes to reinterpreting their texts, but most Muslims are peaceful ordinary human beings.

There are some people - mainly extremists of their own brand of bullshit be it far right or fundamentalist Christian - who like to portray Muslims and Islam as irreformable fifth columnists who need to be banned or even eradicated be it for reasons of racism, immigration or the furtherance of their own brand of religious bullshit.

Get things in perspective and judge people as individuals and not as a group.
     Reply #6 - June 03, 2016, 09:01 AM

Islam is neither religion of peace, nor religion of war. Its just another religion, that like all other religions, has some positive teachings and some negative teachings.
     Reply #7 - June 03, 2016, 03:17 PM

An organization/ideology/movement is the sum of the acts of its followers.

In itself, a book will do no more harm than a sore toe, should you drop it on your foot.
    The actions of people inspired by the book, is a quite different case.

IMHO the only religion who deserves to be called "The religion of peace" is Jainism. Those people are fanatical about doing no harm. If you run into a Jainist extremist.... he will be even more careful not to hurt anything. Sweeping the ground in front of him to avoid stepping on insects, having a cloth over his mouth not to accidentally swallow a bug.

If islam wants to be considered "the religion of peace", they should focus a bit more on the branding.
    Insisting that your god is great and merciful whenever you cut the head of something, insisting that half the population are inferior beings, so-called honor killings, genital cutting of children, killing apostates, killing critics, outdoing both the left- and right extremists when it comes to terrorism, murdering other moslems on a large scale because their specific variant of the teaching is "wrong".
    That a lot of people can gather in a forum like this, and quite a few of them have good reason to fear being killed/beaten/deported by their own family, just because they do not believe?

It does not exactly send the right signals, when it comes to the great competition of being "more peaceful than the rest".
     Reply #8 - June 11, 2016, 10:57 AM

Hi welcome  parrot

IMHO Islam isn't the religion of peace.
     Reply #9 - June 14, 2016, 03:26 PM

Islam is neither religion of peace, nor religion of war. Its just another religion, that like all other religions, has some positive teachings and some negative teachings.

The negative in this case being pretty bloody negative...

But yeah, I agree it's wrong to single Islam out as "The bad religion". All the Abrahamic ones have held #1 spot at one time or another... and all have a negative impact on Humanism if taken too literally.
     Reply #10 - June 21, 2016, 07:59 PM

Islam is not necessarily a religion of peace as it is not necessarily one of war. It's a means of governance personally and spiritually. It's just when this means of governing is extrapolated to a state or domestic level it is seriously flawed. Any state run by a religion is fundamentally flawed I feel.
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »