Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

New Britain
Today at 12:41 PM

What's happened to the fo...
Today at 12:21 PM

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Love/Fear of Allah

(Read 5261 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Love/Fear of Allah
     OP - May 06, 2016, 07:29 PM

Hello everybody,

I've never been a Muslim, so I have a question for ex-Muslims (I would never get a true answers from Muslims themselves!) 

Muslims talk a lot about their love of Allah, but was there any genuine feeling or did you only fear hell?  Was there that voice of doubt in your mind that the idea of a all merciful, loving being, wanting to torture people was a bit weird?  I suppose it may be why you are ex-Muslims. 

I've just been curious about feelings towards Allah.   Smiley

• Love/Fear of Allah
     Reply #1 - May 06, 2016, 09:32 PM

well Somebody joins the forum says hello everybody and ask questions to everybody and NO BODY answers.
    Hello everybody,

I've never been a Muslim, so I have a question for ex-Muslims (I would never get a true answers from Muslims themselves!)

SomeBODY   ..you too sound like NO BODY., why would you say that?  did you ask any question to any Muslim?  Didyou join any Islamic forum and ask question?

Muslims talk a lot about their love of Allah, but was there any genuine feeling or did you only fear hell?  Was there that voice of doubt in your mind that the idea of a all merciful, loving being, wanting to torture people was a bit weird?  I suppose it may be why you are ex-Muslims. 

I've just been curious about feelings towards Allah.   Smiley

what is Allah? what kind of Allah are you talking about? Is this allah same as any god of any religion? are you a believer? don't have god in your religion?  well  if you takeout all silly social,political, economical rules of Islam  this allah of Muslims  is  same as any god of any religion

any way welcome to CEMB forum   and Let me read you a verse from Quran.

YUSUFALI: He it is Who created the heavens and the earth in six Days - and His Throne was over the waters - that He might try you, which of you is best in conduct. But if thou wert to say to them, "Ye shall indeed be raised up after death", the Unbelievers would be sure to say, "This is nothing but obvious sorcery!"

PICKTHAL: And He it is Who created the heavens and the earth in six Days - and His Throne was upon the water - that He might try you, which of you is best in conduct. Yet if thou (O Muhammad) sayest: Lo! ye will be raised again after death! those who disbelieve will surely say: This is naught but mere magic.

SHAKIR: And He it is Who created the heavens and the earth in six periods-- and His dominion (extends) on the water-- that He might manifest to you, which of you is best in action, and if you say, surely you shall be raised up after death, those who disbelieve would certainly say: This is nothing but clear magic.

So Allah sits on a throne that is on water if you read Quran the way fools read...

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

• Love/Fear of Allah
     Reply #2 - May 06, 2016, 11:48 PM

No, I haven't asked Muslims this question, but from past experience I can imagine the sort of response I'd get. 

I was referring the the Islamic Allah, especially as this is the council of ex-Muslims, but I suppose the question could certainly apply to people of other beliefs.   

I'm a bit agnostic, what are your own beliefs, if you don't mind me asking?
  • Love/Fear of Allah
     Reply #3 - May 09, 2016, 07:35 AM

It was fear.  There could be no love, for I didn't feel loved in return.  How could I, I was a woman....most of my kind were destined for hell.

All there was was fear.  IMO I believe many ex Muslims would say the same. 

Inhale the good shit, exhale the bullshit.
  • Love/Fear of Allah
     Reply #4 - May 09, 2016, 07:37 AM

In my experience and understanding, Sufis are the only Muslims who are genuine about loving God. Some other schools of thought talk about loving God but priority is on fearing and respecting him. It's more like an obligation to love, which doesn't seem like a... lovely... thing to be in. It's more like "Love me more than anyone else or else."
  • Love/Fear of Allah
     Reply #5 - May 09, 2016, 01:06 PM

i never felt the love of allah or his mercy. no connection whatsoever.  i was afraid of hell when i was young but it was the guilt of not praying and for having to lie to my parents that ate me up. When i did pray, it  was mostly automatic, empty and without meaning. And to be told that you have to love allah more than your parents just didn't make any sense to me. Allah seemed very needy and his love was conditional.

the only time I really felt a connection with a higher being was when I read book 1 of conversations with god by Neal Donald Walsh. I was really excited by it. He spoke of a god who truly loved me. a god I didn't have to fear. But by book 2 and 3 where he was saying president bush would be proven correct and that on other planes/dimensions evolved beings copulate in front of their offspring I was beginning to have serious doubts.

the prophets are still coming but we don't take them seriously anymore.

• Love/Fear of Allah
     Reply #6 - May 09, 2016, 01:26 PM

No, I haven't asked Muslims this question,
    but from past experience I can imagine the sort of response I'd get.  

I was referring the the Islamic Allah, especially as this is the council of ex-Muslims, but I suppose the question could certainly apply to people of other beliefs.   

I'm a bit agnostic, what are your own beliefs, if you don't mind me asking?

Hmm.. that is not good., You were never a Muslim,  no relation with any Muslim folks and you didn't ask any Muslim guys/girls but you are presuming this??

Muslims talk a lot about their love of Allah, but was there any genuine feeling or did you only fear hell?  Was there that voice of doubt in your mind that the idea of a all merciful, loving being, wanting to torture people was a bit weird?  

Well Muslim folks are NOT monolithic blocks., they are individuals with different level of understanding of Islam., Although it is true ., Number wise Muslim kids get brain washed lot more than the kids of other religions.

Yes there are plenty of folks in Islam who genuinely feel their love of Allah.. whatever that allah may be.,   but we must realize it is same in any faith / or any religion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLBFmA87tyg

I suppose it may be why you are ex-Muslims.    

Nooo

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

• Love/Fear of Allah
     Reply #7 - May 13, 2016, 06:28 PM

Yezevee- I suppose I'm really asking people how they felt in hindsight.  I've spoken to Muslims about many other things and can't imagine getting much of a response to this.  Would saying you don't love Allah possibly be Kufr?  

BerberElla- I've never really understood that, with all the terrible crimes committed throughout history hell is mostly populated by women for not completely obeying their husbands.  Hmmm

Thanks for your opinions!  
  • Love/Fear of Allah
     Reply #8 - May 13, 2016, 08:42 PM

It was fear.  There could be no love, for I didn't feel loved in return.  How could I, I was a woman....most of my kind were destined for hell.

All there was was fear.  IMO I believe many ex Muslims would say the same. 

I completely concur with the quoted post. I forced myself to believe that there was love, though in reality I was scared of being cast into Hell more than anything. On the other hand I did have genuine love for Muhammad, at the time when I thought that he had been a perfect, gentle being who could do no wrong. That being said I found it impossible to love him more than my own family, as I was told I had to.
  • Love/Fear of Allah
     Reply #9 - May 13, 2016, 11:27 PM

I did feel love for Allah. I saw God as a sort of loving father figure. Obviously I had a problem reconciling things like hell etc... But I always told myself that there is an explanation I don't yet understand. But when I closed my eyes I imagined a God who loved me and cared about us and would one day explain why there's so much pain.

But then I'm still Muslim, albiet an Agnostic Muslim - so I must be lying, right?
  • Love/Fear of Allah
     Reply #10 - May 13, 2016, 11:54 PM

Sorry, I didn't mean to dismiss anyone's feelings by just addressing this to ex-Muslims.

I'm agnostic, but I also can't get past the idea that a merciful god would create something as horrendous as hell for the purpose of torturing, for eternity, those who wouldn't submit.  For me, there might be something out there, but a god as described by Muslims or Christians seems more like a tyrant.
  • Love/Fear of Allah
     Reply #11 - May 14, 2016, 09:02 PM

I really loved Allah. It took me a long time to realize that it was not reciprocated and never would be.

Don't let Hitler have the street.
  • Love/Fear of Allah
     Reply #12 - May 14, 2016, 09:28 PM

I definitely loved Allah. And I did feel loved back. I was afraid of hell, but I wasn't afraid of Allah in that sense. It was more like respect and understanding, that even though he loved his creation, he had to be just and strict with those who chose to not obey him. I was occasionally afraid of hell, but I knew or felt deep down in my heart that if I did my best, and had sincerity in all my actions, and repented whenever I knew I had wronged, Allah would forgive me. Because he was most forgiving, merciful and loving to his creation, right? The problem I had was mainly with Muhammad. I never loved him the way we were supposed to, and I didn't particularly like the guy (even though I never admitted it. Not even to myself). I just assumed and accepted the fact that Allah would know what he was doing when he appointed him as his messenger. I was often quite disappointed with his vagueness and ambiguity when it came to certain matters...

Even though I would probably be labeled as a salafi, and probably saw myself as more belonging to that sub-group within Islam, and even though I was at times very strict and judgmental of others who chose to take the religion lightly, I never saw the actual rites and rules (which is more strongly connected with the feelings of fear, in my experience) as the main issue within the faith. It was more a natural part that I took for granted that you just followed and did. Because, why else even bother. Why would you expect love, mercy, and forgiveness when you behaved exactly the opposite of what was expected of you.  Anyway. The most important for the worshiper was to have the spiritual connection with the creator. And that's why I felt truly loved by Allah, and I did truly love him.

It was later on that I realized how stupid I had been. Of course, if I disliked certain issues with Muhammad, I had to dislike Allah. Because wasn't it in the end Allah that had the last say in anything and everything? It was later on that I started to feel resentment towards Allah, as a woman. Why did he create me, a woman, despite his clear favoritism for men? Why was I so incapable of being a "real" person, what did Allah really have against the female sex? And so on...

Even today, despite not actually believing in god, I take comfort in that feeling I once had.

"The healthiest people I know are those who are the first to label themselves fucked up." - three
  • Love/Fear of Allah
     Reply #13 - May 15, 2016, 12:01 AM

It reminds me of this:

Christianity is full of it too, especially the part with "testing your faith by fucking your life up".
  • Love/Fear of Allah
     Reply #14 - May 15, 2016, 12:47 AM

I had to take classes on abuse. During those classes I was recalling Quran, because it is written precisely that way in the translations I had, even the softer versions.

Don't let Hitler have the street.
  • Love/Fear of Allah
     Reply #15 - June 15, 2016, 06:22 PM

I convinced myself I loved him, but no, I didnt. It's not possible to love someone who does not show any love back. I also never could love mohammad.

I don't know any of those figures, it's impossible to love them more than my family.
  • Love/Fear of Allah
     Reply #16 - June 16, 2016, 03:27 AM

I both loved and feared him. Loved him because he was my creator, because he had given me everything, because he was merciful and wise (or so I thought at the time, of course). But the graphic descriptions of hell instilled fear in me. And, an extension of the fear, extreme guilt and shame. Now that I think about it, my relationship with Allah was probably equal parts love and shame.

On the other hand I did have genuine love for Muhammad, at the time when I thought that he had been a perfect, gentle being who could do no wrong. That being said I found it impossible to love him more than my own family, as I was told I had to.

I can relate to this. I did love Muhammad but, even when my belief was at its strongest, found it impossible to love him more than my family. I never understood how others could.
  • Love/Fear of Allah
     Reply #17 - June 20, 2016, 10:04 PM

I recently read a description of hell and I don't understand how anyone could reconcile that to a merciful god.  You can be the nicest, most charitable person on Earth, but if you don't believe then that's where you are going. 
  • Love/Fear of Allah
     Reply #18 - June 21, 2016, 12:05 AM

An issue is the interpretation of Hell. A lot of people hold a standard view of Hell as a prison for the damned. This one obviously has issues with mercy. Other views of Hell include oblivion in which you cease to exist. There is no torture, there is no longer a "you", gone, nadda, do not pass go. 
  • Love/Fear of Allah
     Reply #19 - June 21, 2016, 06:27 AM

In christianity (some flavors at least) there is even another part to hell:
    Everybody go to hell, and is fried in purgatory for some time according to their sins.
    (how is that for a merciful god?)
    But everybody are sinners, they all fry.... except that is, unless you or your relatives buy you out with prayers or cool cash.

Gawd is omni-anything, but he is always short of money!!
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »