Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Today at 07:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Today at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Today at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: A christian apostate climbing aboard

(Read 3424 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • A christian apostate climbing aboard
     OP - April 21, 2016, 01:23 PM

I grew up in Denmark, born into the Danish National Church.

My upbringing was pretty secular, but included infant baptism (I didn't ask for it!) and "Confirmation" (because nobody even considered questioning that).
    Church was attended at weddings, funerals, baptisms and confirmations, but not otherwise.
    My family is best described as "somewhat devout culture christians".

Over the years my membership grew from being "background noise" to a nuisance. The church had its share of organized stupidity such as homophobia, creationism, magic, accepting rather extremist priests..... and to be quite honest, the basic premise was obviously flawed.

Add to that, that the membership fee is collected through your normal tax in Denmark. At approximately 1% of your income, it is a lot of money to pay for something you do not believe in.

Fortunately apostacy was easy: Simply make an "I hereby leave the Danish National Church"-letter and drop it off at the local church office.
    Just for the fun of it, I did it on foot, at night, wearing my least traffic safe black clothing. If any deity should want to collect me, it would have no better chance.
     Wink
    Nothing happened, there has been no protests from my family and they did not even protest that my kids were neither baptized nor confirmed.
    In other words, it has been a piece of cake.

Then why come here?
    I live in a large city housing a significant moslem population. We have one of the extremist mosques (with the associated horde of islamists and rather overt support of sharia, violence and general medieval nastiness).
    Working in education, I meet quite a few young with a moslem background.
    Sometimes that cause "frictions", and I hope to learn some more from this site that will help me act in a reasonable manner.

...... apart from that, I'm a firm believer in human rights and the scientific method.
     Reply #1 - May 17, 2016, 12:32 AM

Leaving Christianity is piece of Cake.
    While leaving Islam is signing your own death warrant.

I think you have some problem.
    Every thing I post, looks weird to you.

Reply #2 - May 17, 2016, 12:42 AM

Leaving Christianity isn't necessarily a piece of cake.  It depends what type of Christianity you're leaving and what type of family you have. 

Leaving Islam isn't necessarily signing your own death warrant either - again, it depends what type of Islam and what type of family.

"Befriend them not, Oh murtads, and give them neither parrot nor bunny."  - happymurtad's advice on trolls.
     Reply #3 - May 17, 2016, 01:37 AM

That seems to imply they are even a little bit similar, but largely christian countries don't kill/jail their apostates when muslim ones do. (Yes, yes. There are some that do, but the numbers are incomparable)

The best kind of religion is the non-practicing one. They are the most accepting for apostasy, maybe because they're all already half-apostates themselves.
     Reply #4 - May 17, 2016, 10:26 AM

That seems to imply they are even a little bit similar

Very well put.

It was a piece of cake for me to 'leave' or, rather, have no interest in, fail to embrace and say bye bye to Christianity - for my believing parents and the wider 'community'.

If there's an equivalent in Islam, this forum has shamefully neglected it.
     Reply #5 - May 17, 2016, 01:54 PM

Welcome to the forum Ursus. We are glad to have you here!

And have a rabbit!  bunny

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #6 - May 17, 2016, 04:48 PM

Thanks for the rabbit.
    They are very useful animals.
    (and in general thanks for the welcome)
     thnkyu

Leaving mainstream Danish christianity is pretty easy. 
    Even though 77% of the population are registered as members of the "church of Denmark" and the church is written into the constitution (attempts to separate state and church have failed miserably), the Danes are probably on average some of the most secular in the world.

There are fundamentalists and some christian circles that must be described as "closed and sectarian", and while they do not outright kill apostates, I'm quite sure, that leaving them is not easy and can make your friends and family shun you.

I think that religious societies are like computer programs and subscriptions for cable TV.
    It is normally quite easy to subscribe, the real test for malignancy comes when you try to "unsubscribe".
     Reply #7 - June 12, 2016, 10:09 AM

Hi Ursus and welcome to the forum  parrot

We have another Danish member here: Nikolaj
    By the way, what happened to NIkloaj, I haven't seen him for a while.
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »