Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Happymurtad Interview thread!

(Read 2892 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Happymurtad Interview thread!
     OP - February 29, 2016, 05:58 PM

Ask him questions in here!

I'll start:

What is the most blasphemous thing you have done, while in Saudi Arabia?

If you could change one thing about your experience with Islam, other than having left it sooner, what would you change?

Are you single and ready to mingle?  Wink

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #1 - February 29, 2016, 06:14 PM

Do we all get our own interview thread, or is that reserved for the cool kids? Grin

"The healthiest people I know are those who are the first to label themselves fucked up." - three
     Reply #2 - February 29, 2016, 06:28 PM

I was thinking to have them be for the mods and admins, as a sort of demystifying thing. For other members, I suppose everyone would be free to start their own.

I'm sure your thread would be quite popular Cornflower.  Smiley

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #3 - February 29, 2016, 07:08 PM

Yeah, right Grin

And good luck with starting up the interview threads. Question is, are the mods and admins brave enough to share  grin12

"The healthiest people I know are those who are the first to label themselves fucked up." - three
     Reply #4 - March 01, 2016, 01:30 AM

I have ways to get answers.  Tongue

And you didn't ask the other half of happyflower a question CF! This is your big chance!  whistling2

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #5 - March 01, 2016, 02:26 PM

What is the most blasphemous thing you have done, while in Saudi Arabia?

Well, Saudi Arabia was the place that first saw my doubts in the complete veracity of Islam creep in, so I suppose you could say that the most blasphemous thing I did there was to begin to entertain those thoughts.

I know that’s not quite juicy enough, though. Grin

I guess two things come to mind, both naturally having to do with sex in such a repressive environment. (And because “blasphemy” wasn’t very high on my bucket list when I was a salafi.)

When I was a newlywed, my wife and I stayed at the now-demolished Sofitel hotel, just across from the entrance to the Marwa gate, overlooking Masjid Al-Haram. We checked into the hotel sometime before Isha, having already combined the prayer with Maghrib using the exception given to travelers to do so.  

Anyhow, being firmly within the “honeymoon stage,” our newlywed bodies had trouble staying off one another, so as we watched over the throngs of worshippers taking part the prayer happening below, she and I got a bit frisky. She motioned to close the curtains, when I assured her that the windows were reflective from the outside so there was no need to worry about privacy.  Our bodies plastered against the floor to ceiling window, we went on to mate like mammals in full view of the House of Allah.

It wasn’t until we went downstairs for tawaf and dinner that I looked up and noticed that, contrary to my prior assurances, the windows were completely see through. Counting the five floors up to our room’s level, it was clear to see that anyone who might have looked up during our encounter would have gotten an unobstructed and X-rated view of the all action. She was super embarrassed but found the humor in it. I was secretly kinda proud – even more so now. Grin

The second thing has to do with the “secret habit,” as the Arabs call it, from before I was married. Everyone does it, sure. But it’s so much harder in a place with restricted internet access, no TV (I didn’t have a TV as a student), and where you only ever experience femininity in the form of piercing eyes or tight abayas.

To supplement my imagination, I soon caught on that the center page of the Arab News newspaper was almost always dedicated to a portrait of an extremely attractive Bollywood actress, Lebanese singer, or Hollywood movie star - always with a gorgeous smile and in some sort of revealing clothing. I did read the stories, and as I was there during the heat of the Iraq war, I truly was interested in what was happening around the world. But unbeknownst to the shopkeeper who’d keep a copy on reserve for me to pick up after thurh every day, that center page was really what I was spending the two riyals on. Grin

Like a prisoner with a collection of calendar girl posters, I ended up with a stash of Arab News papers that I kept in my room – not just to review the articles when I wanted to know more about the Iraqi invasion. Grin

Again, not very juicy. But at the time it truly was a huge scandal in my mind. I really was trying to be a good salafi. Grin

Just shows you how repressive an Islamic environment can be and how it forces you to spend so much of your time worried about something that is not really even an issue.

If you could change one thing about your experience with Islam, other than having left it sooner, what would you change?

This is an interesting question. I had to spend some time thinking about it as it really is hard to answer. The answer I feel most comfortable with right now is to say that I wish I never went through the stage of taking it so seriously. It could definitely be argued that had I not taken it so seriously for the time that I did, I probably would not have been in a position to scrutinize it enough to realize that it was not Ultimate Truth. Still, I’m not convinced that that would have been such a bad thing.

As I think about the other Muslim kids I grew up knowing, virtually none of them went as far as I did in delving into Islam. It was, at best, a matter of identity, community, and comfort for them. While I can go on and on poetically about how I’d rather have a harsh truth than a comfortable lie and yadah, yadah, yadah, I believe now that the process of losing my faith took more from me than it could ever stand to give me.

To clarify, I’m not saying I still wish I had the confines of dogma or the restrictions of religion. I’m saying I wish I was in a position to not have to worry about any of it as much as I have for so long. It just doesn’t even matter enough to have taken up so much of my time and energy.

Some of my friends I knew growing up went on to complete graduate and post graduate degrees in their fields, have good jobs, date, start families, etc. So what if they now believe that going to a mosque on a magical night in Ramadan will give them bonus Allah points?

Other friends I knew growing up are serving time for crimes they did when they were young and silly. So what if, in the loneliness of an incarcerated night, they believe that The Most Merciful is protecting them and has forgiven them? Is it all really that bad in the grand scheme of things, when none of it really matters anyhow?

Me having to say F U to Islam was also me saying F U to people and things that were familiar to me. And for what? Because an ancient myth turned out to just be an ancient myth? Was that worth getting rid of it all?

The people I know who never took Islam too seriously have the luxury of never having made the commitment to it that I did, while still reaping the benefits of social bonds and ties to a heritage that truly is theirs. I wish I didn’t take that away from myself.

That’s the answer I feel comfortable with right now.

Are you single and ready to mingle?  Wink

Just give me a time and place. Wink
     Reply #6 - March 01, 2016, 06:53 PM

^

Not haram enough Tongue

There have been many studies and documentaries showing heterosexual men in repressive gender segregated societies (pakistan, saudi arabia) or even teens in all boys boarding schools for that matter experiment with each other as substitutes for women.

To your knowledge did any of the salafi men fool around with each other ?

In my opinion a life without curiosity is not a life worth living
     Reply #7 - March 01, 2016, 06:56 PM

The people I know who never took Islam too seriously have the luxury of never having made the commitment to it that I did, while still reaping the benefits of social bonds and ties to a heritage that truly is theirs. I wish I didn’t take that away from myself.

That’s the answer I feel comfortable with right now.

yup. I get that.

Ironically the best way for muslims to stop people from leaving islam would be to just stop enforcing it and keep it to the cultural traditions.

In my opinion a life without curiosity is not a life worth living
     Reply #8 - March 01, 2016, 07:03 PM

^

Not haram enough Tongue

There have been many studies and documentaries showing heterosexual men in repressive gender segregated societies (pakistan, saudi arabia) or even teens in all boys boarding schools for that matter experiment with each other as substitutes for women.

To your knowledge did any of the salafi men fool around with each other ?

I definitely saw/heard of stuff like that while I was there. It certainly exists. For me, going from a culture where you experience women on a regular basis to one where you’d hardly know if you ever even saw the same woman twice was extremely – traumatic – for lack of a better word. I wouldn’t have been able to maintain my sanity there without being married.
     Reply #9 - March 13, 2016, 06:14 PM

Disappointed that this didn't take off quite as well as I had hoped. Although it's no knock on you Happymurtad, all of your answers were very satisfying.  yes

And oh yeah, with regards to the masturbation woes, I would submit to you that any person having spent a considerable amount of time in an Islamic country would ave very similar stories to tell, if they were brave enough to tell them, myself included. Grin

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #10 - March 13, 2016, 11:26 PM

Was there one particular thing about Saudi Arabia which you found so exasperating while you were there?

-------------

Personally, I misplaced a lot of anger on one aspect of the border control officer on my way out of Saudi Arabia a month and half ago.

As I handed him my passport and he started fingerprinting me, his nose focused my loathing of this human colony like nothing else in existence, for his nose was hyperbolic. It was roundly wicked. It made one forget everything one had held dear. Its tip was cruel and unusual.

The bridge belied the dizygotic horror of its dark, dank, decaying depth. It was miniaturisation of the hypothetical bridge over Naru-Jahannam.

So stupid and horrendous they were that nobody who was anybody could articulate the idea behind these nostrils. They were evil. They were Flat Earthers. They were hideous and unintentionally biblical. They forbade superbugs entrance on pain of mortal injury.

“Mercy” one wanted, that was all. Mercy. One would never again willingly witness the enormity of such a half-hearted cave. And if one thought despair ended there, alas, it did not. This nose was an eternity. It dogged one’s attention, it barked at his soul. Every inch of it strove to blight him with the tedium of a twice-told tale.

It was sickening. It was racist, it was terrorist. It was amorphous in perversion. This nose too must have ushered in the Anthropocene, by virtue of its noxious emissions. It stung all the way back. So much Hell had been invested in its cartilaginous frame, so much disaster in its texture. The whole Falstaffian affair was hysterical to the point of insanity. And as it suddenly started, it abruptly stopped.
     Reply #11 - March 15, 2016, 02:01 AM

I swear you just drew a caricature. I didn´t know people did it with words.

Don't let Hitler have the street.
     Reply #12 - March 15, 2016, 02:06 AM

I have a question for the interview thread.

happymurtad, did you, at any point in your life in Saudi Arabistan, find yourself blissfully overwhelmed by the knowledge that you were living in proximity to the Prophet geographically, if not chronologically? Did you feel any sort of bliss solely from this? Did it enhance your experience, your prayers, in any way?

I had so many people tell me to take Shahada in Abu Dhabi because of this. It made no sense to me until AFTER.

Don't let Hitler have the street.
     Reply #13 - August 30, 2016, 05:20 PM

I have one question, and one question only.

How is your hairline?

My mind runs, I can never catch it even if I get a head start.
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »