Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Today at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 04:17 AM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Yesterday at 07:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Poll

• Question: Do you think Britain should leave the EU?  (Voting closed: March 18, 2016, 08:18 PM)
  • Yes - 9 (42.9%)
  • No - 12 (57.1%)
  • Undecided - 0 (0%)
  • Total Voters: 21

Topic: Brexit - yes or no?

(Read 39643 times)
  • Previous page 1 ... 4 5 67 8 ... 13 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Brexit - yes or no?
     Reply #150 - June 25, 2016, 01:06 PM

Not exactly; the European Commission does draft laws and monitor them, much like our unelected policy makers. That being said it does not pass laws, it therefore does not have complete power with regards to lawmaking. The Council of Ministers and the European Parliament has to agree by majority before any bill is passed.

Moreover around 13% of our Acts and Statutes have been influenced by EU law; the institution is far from an all-encompassing bureaucracy that prevents countries from primarily deciding for themselves how they are to be run.  Besides, out of that 13%, the UK was on the side of the majority vote 87% of the time.

If your local MP represents a party which has policies and values that you oppose, you are every bit as powerless  at influencing an Act of Parliament as you usually are at influencing an EU legislation. For an example: the Conservative Party only needs a majority of seats in Parliament in order to be virtually unstoppable. Other the general elections and referendum's such as the recent "Brexit" one, the common folk usually do not have a say in the running of this country.

There are but with the anti-immigration rhetoric spreading throughout the country, do you think the public wants to "live together" and be brothers and sisters? To me the right to live and work in any EU member state and be given the same privileges and  opportunities that citizens of that state enjoyed is invaluable.

I do understand where you'r coming from; like I said the EU was by no means perfect, but I strongly believe that it was a good thing that just required some reformations from within.

The only ones we elect are the MEPs are there power is just to vote and negotiate. That is all. The power to propose or repeal is with the un-elected commissioners.

This is not AT ALL like the UK Parliament. Every 5 years we vote - we know who the MPs. There are no back flips or gymnastics that need to be performed. Legislation that is proposed is based of the mandate the existing government has.

Your MP has a constituency link with you and has an obligation to hold surgeries as well as being held to account by the local council, the national government and ultimately an ombudsman.  It is also in the interests of the MP to appeal to the people. There's no getting voted in a region and then running off to Brussels for four years to hide and be unaccountable. The checks and balances on MPs are far greater and you can change your MP after 5 years.

The figure you cite is deflated, in recent years as much as 50% if not more has been directives by the EU. There have been 72 instances (at least) in which EU directives were not in Britain's interest and voted against but we had to accept them anyway. On some occasions British members of the Council of Europe voted against UKs self-interests.

The EU is incredibly bureaucratic - it takes ages to make decisions as it's negotiation after negotiation and red tape after red tape. The 2010 coalition was loathed for not delviering on party policies as too many compromises had to be made - now imagine that on the scale of a super-state hich is what the EU fancies itself as.

No free mixing of the sexes is permitted on these forums or via PM or the various chat groups that are operating.

Women must write modestly and all men must lower their case.

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?425649-Have-some-Hayaa-%28modesty-shame%29-people!
  • Brexit - yes or no?
     Reply #151 - June 25, 2016, 01:31 PM

Source.
  • Brexit - yes or no?
     Reply #152 - June 25, 2016, 02:35 PM

Not sure that third one is right.  Does Canada have to contribute to the EU budget and allow free movement of people?

"Befriend them not, Oh murtads, and give them neither parrot nor bunny."  - happymurtad's advice on trolls.
  • Brexit - yes or no?
     Reply #153 - June 25, 2016, 02:43 PM

Ugh. You tricked me into watching Fox News. I'm gonna go make ghusl now.

Cheesy

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
  • Brexit - yes or no?
     Reply #154 - June 25, 2016, 02:44 PM

Canada certainly doesn't allow free movement of people - has something changed?*

*Not yet signed

No free mixing of the sexes is permitted on these forums or via PM or the various chat groups that are operating.

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?425649-Have-some-Hayaa-%28modesty-shame%29-people!
  • Brexit - yes or no?
     Reply #155 - June 25, 2016, 02:46 PM

Now its time to start planning for a border poll in Northern Ireland and a second indy ref in Scotland.  Both those places voted to stay in the EU, no reason why they should be dragged out by England and Wales.

You notice the timing of these happenings? Its so incredibly politically expedient for a certain power interest.

I wouldn't hold your breath on either of these things happening very soon, not without a hell of a fight (sad to say not only of the verbal sort).

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
  • Brexit - yes or no?
     Reply #156 - June 25, 2016, 02:52 PM

The different "statuses" that countries can be in is actually kind of scary.

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
  • Brexit - yes or no?
     Reply #157 - June 25, 2016, 02:56 PM

You notice the timing of these happenings? Its so incredibly politically expedient for a certain power interest.

I wouldn't hold your breath on either of these things happening very soon, not without a hell of a fight (sad to say not only of the verbal sort).

I don't follow you, asbie.  We're probably all on a CIA watch list anyway, so you might as well spell it out.

And there will be no fights in either Scotland or Ireland other than the strictly verbal kind.

"Befriend them not, Oh murtads, and give them neither parrot nor bunny."  - happymurtad's advice on trolls.
  • Brexit - yes or no?
     Reply #158 - June 25, 2016, 02:58 PM

There will be "reasons" for not having either referendum in the near future. Probably all tied to economic problems and scare tactics all around.

If people thought the last referendum was a climate of fear, then y'all haven't seen anything yet.

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
  • Brexit - yes or no?
     Reply #159 - June 25, 2016, 03:02 PM

Leave is an economically huge decision for all of the UK, as os so rightly pointed out.

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
  • Brexit - yes or no?
     Reply #160 - June 25, 2016, 03:05 PM

There will be "reasons" for not having either referendum in the near future. Probably all tied to economic problems and scare tactics all around.

If people thought the last referendum was a climate of fear, then y'all haven't seen anything yet.

There will most likely be a border poll in NI in about five years time.  I don't know what will happen in Scotland.

• Brexit - yes or no?
     Reply #161 - June 25, 2016, 03:13 PM

Exciting times, no?

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
  • Brexit - yes or no?
     Reply #162 - June 25, 2016, 03:31 PM

I think most of Scotland and Northern Ireland will ask themselves how they will support themselves financially as the extent of EU subsidies they receive is contingent upon UK contributions to the budget.

The process of integration in to the EU is very long -2-3 years application and then a process of voting and negotiation. It takes ages. If the Scots or Irish are hasty there's no guarantee that they will be accepted in the EU as Germany or France could veto them as being an economic burden. The EU can't survive without the heavy hitters as it's their political clout and contributions that keep the EU project alive. It's for this reason that the EU is devastated with the Brexit and may no doubt lash out childishly and want to penalize Britain, but it must be careful as it still needs us. Thankfully both Merkel and Hollande have been rather courteous.

Independence is a good pipe dream but you must try and come up with a contingency plan if you're not a leading power politically, economically or culturally.

• Brexit - yes or no?
     Reply #163 - June 25, 2016, 03:32 PM

Yes or No.  It doesn't really make any difference(IMO,don't wanna argue or intending to impose that on anyone as I'm too sloshed). Just that y'all got yourself home based arseholes to run your wahala.

"I'm standing here like an asshole holding my Charles Dickens"

"No theory,No ready made system,no book that has ever been written to save the world. i cleave to no system.."-Bakunin
  • Brexit - yes or no?
     Reply #164 - June 25, 2016, 03:46 PM

Farage from UKIP asked for a second referendum if the remain majority was very small (less than 3%). Well, the biter bit, it's valid the other way. The simple majority bar was way too low for a massive constitutional change in an evenly divided country, Russian roulette. There is a Remain majority in Parliament, let's see if the Tory Remainers now step up to the plate. A year of mess and recession hitting the Leave areas hardest would change minds, nobody wants to lose the Scots, and hopefully the EU will be more accommodating. The latter is not inconceivable, as there is pressure for "Frexit" (france) and "Nexit" (Netherlands). A leading politician said a while ago that the only way to get the EU to change is to threaten to go - Boris Johnson our probable next PM.

Yesterday I felt very emotionally upset and it felt like (in my case) a second bereavement , my country had died. This was silly and over the top. After a good night's sleep we already have how can we work round this to reunite mainly from the remain side, and Leavers saying OMG what have we done. Messy compromise is one of the better parts of our national character.

I don't think that we will actually leave, probably after a second referendum on terms which the government would win - or at worst "Associate Membership". Otherwise the economic damage is too great to both EU and UK. If this gun to their heads gets the EU to change, it might even do some good. "Ever closer union" is dead after the fiascos that have been the Euro and Schengen - and it is no longer just us Brits thinking this. Manuel Valls, the most impressive centre left politician in France, stated this yesterday - because they have the Front National calling for Frexit.
  • Brexit - yes or no?
     Reply #165 - June 25, 2016, 05:55 PM

Brexit poll is so close i think England should be split in two nations..

So  one should make  some sort of durand line and shift population around.,   I wonder how this Brexit  poll map looks like..

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

• Brexit - yes or no?
     Reply #166 - June 25, 2016, 05:56 PM

No.

Ahl as-sunnah wal-jamāʻah and following the way of the Salaf. - nope, not anymore.
  • Brexit - yes or no?
     Reply #167 - June 25, 2016, 05:58 PM

No.

Cheesy Cheesy  well ok one nation with some wall between..

Why not ..England did that to other countries and cultures ?  Cheesy

• Brexit - yes or no?
     Reply #168 - June 25, 2016, 06:22 PM

I think most of Scotland and Northern Ireland will ask themselves how they will support themselves financially as the extent of EU subsidies they receive is contingent upon UK contributions to the budget.

The process of integration in to the EU is very long -2-3 years application and then a process of voting and negotiation. It takes ages. If the Scots or Irish are hasty there's no guarantee that they will be accepted in the EU as Germany or France could veto them as being an economic burden. The EU can't survive without the heavy hitters as it's their political clout and contributions that keep the EU project alive. It's for this reason that the EU is devastated with the Brexit and may no doubt lash out childishly and want to penalize Britain, but it must be careful as it still needs us. Thankfully both Merkel and Hollande have been rather courteous.

Independence is a good pipe dream but you must try and come up with a contingency plan if you're not a leading power politically, economically or culturally.

You're talking nonsense when it comes to Northern Ireland, Jedi.  They don't have to spend a day outside the EU if they don't want to, because they would be leaving the UK to join another EU member state which already has its entitlements to objective 1 funding, CAP funding and EU peace and reconciliation funds in place.  Your point of view is very anglocentric.

• Brexit - yes or no?
     Reply #169 - June 25, 2016, 06:24 PM

..........Your point of view is very anglocentric.

well if you are citizen of England then there is nothing wrong and nothing to be ashamed of anglocentric?

but but what is anglocentric anyway?  you mean English language centric??

• Brexit - yes or no?
     Reply #170 - June 25, 2016, 06:26 PM

Yes or No.  It doesn't really make any difference

It does potentially make a very big difference though for the three million or so citizens of other EU countries living in Britain (I'm leaving out the Irish here as I'm assuming they'll be protected by agreements that pre-date the EU). Also for the million plus Brits living elsewhere in the EU.
  • Brexit - yes or no?
     Reply #171 - June 25, 2016, 06:36 PM

well if you are citizen of England then there is nothing wrong and nothing to be ashamed of anglocentric?

but but what is anglocentric anyway?  you mean English language centric??

I mean a point of view that ignores the world outside England.  For example, Jedi seemed to entirely forget that Ireland even exists and went into a whole spiel about Northern Ireland as if it was going to be independent.  An independent Northern Ireland is going to happen when an independent Isle of Wight happens.  Never.

• Brexit - yes or no?
     Reply #172 - June 25, 2016, 06:48 PM

@ Cheetah...I referred to northern Ireland because there is talks that the Northern Ireland may call for a referendum. Sinn Fein has stated so in fact though no time table has been laid out. I'm not stating anglocentric views - just facts as they've been reported. 

You quoted my second paragraph but you failed to quote what that logically followed which was the first paragraph. I refereed to Northern Ireland but in the second shortened it to Irish. No sin committed. I am fully aware that Ireland proper is part of the EU/Euro. Thank you.

• Brexit - yes or no?
     Reply #173 - June 25, 2016, 06:55 PM

Your post doesn't make any sense applied to Northern Ireland.  To Scotland yes, they would be having an independence referendum, but Northern Ireland would not.  They would be voting to join the Republic which means any concerns about  funding, EU membership etc don't make any kind of sense.

• Brexit - yes or no?
     Reply #174 - June 25, 2016, 06:57 PM

I mean a point of view that ignores the world outside England.  For example, Jedi seemed to entirely forget that Ireland even exists and went into a whole spiel about Northern Ireland as if it was going to be independent.  An independent Northern Ireland is going to happen when an independent Isle of Wight happens.  Never.

I get the feeling you don't like me very much or the chances of Northern Ireland becoming independent. Anyway, contact Alec McGuinnes and tell him that Isle of Wight business:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/24/eu-referendum-martin-mcguiness-calls-for-referendum-on-united-ir/

• Brexit - yes or no?
     Reply #175 - June 25, 2016, 06:57 PM

Brexit poll is so close i think England should be split in two nations..

So  one should make  some sort of durand line and shift population around.,  

Cheesy Cheesy this almost made me choke on my cigarette Grin

And this Grin Grin
  • Brexit - yes or no?
     Reply #176 - June 25, 2016, 07:00 PM

I am just curious here.,

if that 9/11 did not happen., If west didn't remove Saddam, Gaddafi and if  there was  NO middle east turmoil, hence  no immigration problem to west from other nations

then would this   Brexit - yes or no  elections could have taken place??

• Brexit - yes or no?
     Reply #177 - June 25, 2016, 07:01 PM

Your post doesn't make any sense applied to Northern Ireland.  To Scotland yes, they would be having an independence referendum, but Northern Ireland would not.  They would be voting to join the Republic which means any concerns about  funding, EU membership etc don't make any kind of sense.

Actually, discussions on funding allocation would still have to take place as I'm sure any country that is a member of the EU that seeks to 'expand' it's territory or have a unification will need to negotiate and seek some sort of approval from the EU. If you know differently then cite the source or direct me to it...

• Brexit - yes or no?
     Reply #178 - June 25, 2016, 07:02 PM

I get the feeling you don't like me very much or the chances of Northern Ireland becoming independent. Anyway, contact Alec McGuinnes and tell him that Isle of Wight business:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/24/eu-referendum-martin-mcguiness-calls-for-referendum-on-united-ir/

I like you just fine but I don't like your reading comprehension much.  His name is Martin McGuiness and he called for a referendum on a united Ireland, not an independent Northern Ireland.  The day a Sinn Féin member calls for an independent Northern Ireland will be the day Vladimir Putin skips around Moscow shouting I'm gay and I'm proud.  

• Brexit - yes or no?
     Reply #179 - June 25, 2016, 07:03 PM

I am just curious here.,

if that 9/11 did not happen., If west didn't remove Saddam, Gaddafi and if  there was  NO middle east turmoil, hence  no immigration problem to west from other nations

then would this   Brexit - yes or no  elections could have taken place??

The referendum was over due as both the Maastricht Treaty and Lisbon Treaty(ies) changed the relationship with the EU from a largely economic one which we voted into in 1975 to a political one in recent years.

• Previous page 1 ... 4 5 67 8 ... 13 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »