Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: My Ordeal with the Qur'an

(Read 3850 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • My Ordeal with the Qur'an
     OP - January 31, 2016, 07:58 PM

Draft Translation of "My Ordeal with the Qur'an..." By Abbas AbduNoor. I've been waiting for this to be edited but have decided to put out the draft version anyway as I feel I've been sitting on it for too long and that I have a responsibility to just put it out there. I leave it to you all to make of it what you will. By all means share but please note that it is the raw un-edited draft version and not the one I would have wanted to release for final publication.

https://soas.academia.edu/HassanRadwan

***EDIT***

New link:

https://www.academia.edu/21461211/_My_Ordeal_with_the_Quran_and_God_in_the_Quran._By_Abbas_Abdul_Noor
     Reply #1 - January 31, 2016, 08:28 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-bKg9Bu38M
     Reply #2 - January 31, 2016, 10:35 PM

Reply #3 - January 31, 2016, 10:40 PM

I'm sorry, Hassan. This is totally my fault. The final version really is almost done but it's been so difficult to find the blocks of time to finish it up. I feel terrible, and if you're this eager I'll be sending you my copy in the next few days for you to put up instead. It also won't be perfect, but it'll be much better than the raw version.
     Reply #4 - January 31, 2016, 11:15 PM

Afro
     Reply #5 - January 31, 2016, 11:16 PM

its ok lua
     Reply #6 - January 31, 2016, 11:16 PM

I just dont want the responsibility anymore
     Reply #7 - January 31, 2016, 11:17 PM

I'm done with it
     Reply #8 - January 31, 2016, 11:26 PM

Emailed you.
     Reply #9 - February 01, 2016, 12:22 AM

I'm sorry, Hassan. This is totally my fault. The final version really is almost done but it's been so difficult to find the blocks of time to finish it up. I feel terrible, and if you're this eager I'll be sending you my copy in the next few days for you to put up instead. It also won't be perfect, but it'll be much better than the raw version.

What parts still needs to be done ?

If its just editing I know a few exmuslims would would be more than willing to go through and edit it.

In my opinion a life without curiosity is not a life worth living
     Reply #10 - February 02, 2016, 04:44 PM

Thanks to Lua  Kiss  Here is the New updated PDF version of "My Ordeal with the Qur'an..."

This is the first English translation of the book, "My Ordeal with the Qur'an." By Abbas Abdul Noor The book has been in available Arabic on the internet for about ten years in PDF form. The first page identifies the text as a draft copy, indicating that it was not finalised for printing and it appears the book was refused publication in Egypt and other Arab countries, which is not unexpected given the difficulty of publishing critical commentary on the Qurʾān in such regions. Beneath the words “Draft Copy,” it says: “Damanhur, Arab Republic of Egypt, 2004.” Apart from the biographical details given by the book itself, little is known about its author. The text identifies the author by the name “Abbas Abdul Noor.” However it seems likely that this name is an alias used to conceal the author’s identity due to fear of repercussions from publishing such a forthright analysis.

https://www.academia.edu/21461211/_My_Ordeal_with_the_Quran_and_God_in_the_Quran._By_Abbas_Abdul_Noor
     Reply #11 - February 02, 2016, 06:28 PM

Thanks to all who have come and gone over the period of translation and editing - they all deserve a debt of gratitude especially the users RIBS and IraqiAtheist - if it wasn't for them this would never have got off the ground - and to Lua - the angel who worked tirelessly in her spare time to get the editing done... finally Wink  Kiss 001_wub
     Reply #12 - February 02, 2016, 10:41 PM

Way to go everyone! Now for me to finally get around to reading this juicy thing. Smiley

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #13 - February 03, 2016, 02:42 AM

thnkyu Hassan and lua  bunny parrot bunny
     Reply #14 - February 03, 2016, 03:02 AM

and to Lua - the angel who worked tirelessly

Ugh, habibi, you're twisting the knife, here. Grin

Seriously, big apologies to everyone for the delay, especially Hassan, and thanks to Zaotar for his work on the last half and asbie for listening to me sigh about this for months. I cringe to say that it's done when I could've done a lot more, but if this is where we are, it should be better than the raw version and people will still get the idea. Hassan did a really great job of conveying the author's tone (according to one more fluent than I) and hopefully that earnest tone and the message of the book will be the center of attention.

TDR, thanks for offering solutions, and also for your message which summoned me to the forum to notice I was officially out of time on a day that I wouldn't have gotten on here otherwise.

I noticed a bit of discussion about it on reddit, by the way, and more than one person has expressed interest in a direct download link outside of the academia site, and a bunch of people posted old links to old versions. Might be worth someone hosting. Hassan, what do you think? I pay the jerks on Dropbox to hold all my imagej data every month so I can probably host it there if no one else can.
     Reply #15 - February 03, 2016, 03:39 AM

Maybe the main CEMB website would be prepared to host it?
    http://ex-muslim.org.uk/category/resources/
     Reply #16 - February 03, 2016, 12:16 PM

Yes they are also hosting it - here:

http://ex-muslim.org.uk/2016/02/my-ordeal-with-the-quran-by-abbas-abdul-noor/
     Reply #17 - February 03, 2016, 12:21 PM

Seriously, big apologies to everyone for the delay, especially Hassan, and thanks to Zaotar for his work on the last half and asbie for listening to me sigh about this for months. I cringe to say that it's done when I could've done a lot more, but if this is where we are, it should be better than the raw version and people will still get the idea. Hassan did a really great job of conveying the author's tone (according to one more fluent than I) and hopefully that earnest tone and the message of the book will be the center of attention.

TDR, thanks for offering solutions, and also for your message which summoned me to the forum to notice I was officially out of time on a day that I wouldn't have gotten on here otherwise.

I noticed a bit of discussion about it on reddit, by the way, and more than one person has expressed interest in a direct download link outside of the academia site, and a bunch of people posted old links to old versions. Might be worth someone hosting. Hassan, what do you think? I pay the jerks on Dropbox to hold all my imagej data every month so I can probably host it there if no one else can.

No, seriously, Lua I am so grateful to you and feel guilty that I kinda lost patience with the whole project in the end - it's not your fault.

CEMB are hosting it now also. I also told Muhhamad Syed he can share it on EXMINA.

Please feel free ANYONE to share and host it where you like.

It's thrown to the wind - public property afaic - and no need to consult or ask me anymore (in fact please don't - I'm done with it lol... it has been a 10 year ordeal indeed - God bless you RIBS lol Wink )

Smiley
     Reply #18 - February 03, 2016, 01:35 PM

Great work to everyone involved in this project. Well done!  Smiley

I wonder what else can be done to raise the profile of the book.
     Reply #19 - February 03, 2016, 04:26 PM

I continue to suggest turning it into an Amazon ebook.  Should be easy, and then it's readily accessible through the Amazon search function and Google.  You might have to set a nominal price like 99 cents though.
     Reply #20 - February 03, 2016, 04:55 PM

Both you and Hassan are awesome for helping to put together this book. 

If you ever wander into Toronto the beer is on me Smiley

In my opinion a life without curiosity is not a life worth living
     Reply #21 - February 03, 2016, 05:04 PM

Don't feel guilty at all, you did a really great thing and of course you've been ready to get it out there for ages. Thanks for letting me (slowly) contribute, and thanks for all the trouble you went through, Hassan. 001_wub 001_wub

Re the ebook, I have all the files and I'll look into it, zaotar, unless you want to do the honors
     Reply #22 - February 03, 2016, 05:04 PM

Both you and Hassan are awesome for helping to put together this book. 

If you ever wander into Toronto the beer is on me Smiley

Kiss
     Reply #23 - February 04, 2016, 10:59 AM

I wonder what else can be done to raise the profile of the book.

Try google for "my ordeal with the Quran" and see what you get.   Smiley

A job well done to all involved.
     Reply #24 - February 04, 2016, 05:16 PM

Been reading it, good work all involved.
     Reply #25 - February 04, 2016, 10:25 PM

thank you for the translation. i'm on page 28.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBNxGZP49ls
     Reply #26 - February 04, 2016, 10:26 PM

i can see it as a monologue on stage. old vic maybe one day eh?
     Reply #27 - February 04, 2016, 10:27 PM

any chance of an audio on youtube?
     Reply #28 - February 05, 2016, 02:14 PM

Not by me.

Like I say I'm done with this now.

Anyone else want to narrate it - or take up any other idea - please feel free.

Like I say it is public property - thrown to the wind as the author intended.
     Reply #29 - February 06, 2016, 12:58 AM

well that's a shame but I totally understand. thanks for the translation anyway. i'm enjoying it.
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »