Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Yesterday at 08:44 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
Yesterday at 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Yesterday at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 18, 2024, 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: More children in Central African Republic accuse European troops of sex abuse

(Read 2085 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • More children in Central African Republic accuse European troops of sex abuse
     OP - January 29, 2016, 05:58 PM

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/world/rest-of-world/More-children-in-Central-African-Republic-accuse-European-troops-of-sex-abuse/articleshow/50776598.cms

GENEVA: Six more children in the Central African Republic (CAR) have accused European soldiers of sex abuse, the United Nations said on Friday, with one official saying such abuse was "rampant" there.

The European Union, Georgia, France and another unnamed European country are investigating the alleged crimes, including rapes, mostly committed in 2014 in or near a camp for displaced people next to the airport at Bangui, CAR's capital.
    One of the girls interviewed by UN staff said that in 2014 when she was 7 years old she had performed sexual acts on French soldiers, part of the EU's EUFOR force, "in exchange for a bottle of water and a sachet of cookies", a UN statement said.
    "What is abundantly clear in the Central African Republic is that it has been rampant. We're talking, I don't know the exact number of contingents involved, something like 10 now, both UN and non-UN, which is truly shocking," UN human rights spokesman, Rupert Colville, told a news briefing in Geneva.

-----

There was a similar instance way back n the day with un soldiers also. I believe they were suspended for 3 months (the ones that were convicted). I remember reading it in the newspaper as a child and there was photographic evidence too of the UN soldiers roasting children over a fire etc. It was horrific and they pretty much got away with it. Wonder what will happen now.

Reply #1 - January 30, 2016, 04:55 AM

Photos of UN soldiers cooking children? Honestly? When was this?

Don't let Hitler have the street.
     Reply #2 - January 30, 2016, 07:03 AM

they were roasting them over the fire. it was pretty horrific. you can google it. the pics are still as horrifying and it i think was in the press in 1997 or something. i remember reading that the troops got some 3 months suspension. and the excuse was they were bored. here's a pretty reliable link (there are some photos in there). http://www.cnn.com/WORLD/9704/17/belgium.somalia/

an excerpt:

BRUSSELS, Belgium (CNN) -- Belgian military officials Thursday promised a thorough review of training exercises, following the publication of photos of alleged atrocities by elite paratroopers during the 1993 U.N. Somalia peace mission.

Defense Minister Jean-Pol Poncelet said he was considering disbanding the elite Belgian paratrooper unit at the center of the scandal. The newest photos, published Wednesday in the daily newspaper Het Laatste Nieuws, include one of a Belgian paratrooper urinating on the face of a dead Somali.

Photos released earlier show two paratroopers holding another Somali over an open fire, allegedly "roasting" him until he was severely burned. Two paratroopers were arrested last week and charged with assault and battery in the incident.

------

and reports stated that it was pretty widespread and common and involved other nationalities as well (off the top of my head i remember Italian troops also being mentioned in the expose).
     Reply #3 - January 30, 2016, 05:32 PM

That is horrifically frightening. This is the first I heard of it.
    I have read that many Peshmerga go through ethics, human rights, and political theory classes before they get out in the field, and I have long wished that the every country did the same.
    This is so sad.

Don't let Hitler have the street.
     Reply #4 - February 06, 2016, 01:44 AM

I can't get my head round this. truly if there is a hell then its planet earth.
     Reply #5 - February 08, 2016, 04:42 PM

It just plain bat-shit-crazy.
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »