Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

New Britain
Today at 12:05 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 14, 2024, 05:54 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Keep religion out of my doctor's appointment!

(Read 6505 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Keep religion out of my doctor's appointment!
     OP - January 26, 2016, 08:30 PM

I am a bit fucked off and don't know how to proceed lest I appear racist.   lipsrsealed

The thing is I am getting sick and tired of being assigned to the Muslim doctors at my GP surgery, because they always bring my religion into the mix.  They look at the screen, see my name, or my kid's name, or my brother's name, and the next question is always, 'oh so and so, are you a Muslim'.....>.<

Like wtf does that have to do with my attendance?  should not the appropriate question be 'what has brought you here today', or 'so explain the problem with me', or something else along those lines.

I am clearly coming to the doctor because something is up with my health.  I do not want to have the rest of the appointment then tinged with however I dealt with the initial question.

Like when I was honest, and the unnecessary questioning of why I am no longer a Muslim instead of simply diagnosing my health problem.

Or when I simply said NO, to which I was then asked to explain how I had my name, and which one of my parents had been Muslim.

Or the shame of those brief moments when I feel a little anxious, and simply say yes, after which I am too depressed to go on and talk about the original health problem I came in for.

Even my brother who went in for depression, spent 40 minutes in the doctors office listening to a lecture on depression being caused by his not practicing Islam properly.  I mean surely this is unprofessional? 

I tried to get out of seeing the doctor by asking to see a female one from now on, and was then placed with the Muslim female doctor, who was even worse than the male one in terms of questioning me. 

Anyone else here experiencing this?

Also would you complain formally?

I want to, but I can just imagine the backlash now.  Either I get seen as a racist, or somehow, someway other people find out about it, and it becomes the next topic for real racists to use to complain about Muslims.

Inhale the good shit, exhale the bullshit.
     Reply #1 - January 26, 2016, 08:41 PM

I had to go to the hospital while in London, and they asked for my ethnicity. wacko
     Reply #2 - January 26, 2016, 09:54 PM

I had to go to the hospital while in London, and they asked for my ethnicity. wacko

Grin  I forgot that not every country insists on asking the ethnicity question for everything.

The UK does....and I do mean on everything.

Reply #3 - January 26, 2016, 10:48 PM

What if you were to tell them, if they are Sunni, that you are Shia, and Sunnis are kuffar for not believing that Ali was supposed to be the first Caliph. If they argue, storm out in anger and demand in loud voice that you want to see a doctor who is not an imbecile.
     Reply #4 - January 26, 2016, 11:01 PM

Grin  I'd sound like an imbecile myself. 

Reply #5 - January 26, 2016, 11:59 PM

Hmm, I can't remember ever having such a problem in the United States. Maybe many doctors here are just super professional.

Could you simply not request different doctors without stating the reason for such a request, until you get one that you are satisfied with?

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #6 - January 27, 2016, 02:33 AM

I work for the NHS , the insistence on listing ethnicity on everything stems from anxiety about 'institutional racism' and the ascent of the box ticking mentality
      what worries me much more in your post was a Dr responding to somebody complaining of depression by questioning his religious commitment.  It's not necessarily appropriate to go straight to antidepressants , and a holistic view of the patient which might include someone's faith is generally a good thing but this sounds totally inappropriate.
        I think you should switch to another practice , and I actually would think about complaining. It sounds to me as if these guys are unable to separate their beliefs from their professional obligations. I wonder how they would respond to a young muslim girl who went to them with an STD or an extramarital pregnancy .
     Reply #7 - January 27, 2016, 01:26 PM

Hmm, I can't remember ever having such a problem in the United States. Maybe many doctors here are just super professional.

Could you simply not request different doctors without stating the reason for such a request, until you get one that you are satisfied with?

Then I think I just come across as being difficult.  Maybe I shouldn't care about that.  Maybe I should. 

I know there is a non muslim female doctor there, I think I am going to have to just be blunt.  I may risk sounding racist, or having someone accuse me of it, but it would be quicker than working my way through the doctors until I luck out and get booked with her.

As it is I don't go to the doctor often, and I am already a difficult patient, since I refuse to take medication based on a 10 minute verbal assessment.  This situation has been going on for 2 years now, and I am actually in serious need of a doctor, and just keep putting off what could be a really bad thing health wise.

I work for the NHS , the insistence on listing ethnicity on everything stems from anxiety about 'institutional racism' and the ascent of the box ticking mentality

Yea I know why we are so obsessed with ethnicity, just don't see the value in it given we are against positive discrimination or quotational hiring.  Means that we tick the boxes, but it doesn't guarantee anything other than definition.

what worries me much more in your post was a Dr responding to somebody complaining of depression by questioning his religious commitment.  It's not necessarily appropriate to go straight to antidepressants , and a holistic view of the patient which might include someone's faith is generally a good thing but this sounds totally inappropriate.
        I think you should switch to another practice , and I actually would think about complaining. It sounds to me as if these guys are unable to separate their beliefs from their professional obligations. I wonder how they would respond to a young muslim girl who went to them with an STD or an extramarital pregnancy .

Thing is I have already switched practices.  I did it a couple of years ago because of a problem with my last doctor.

One doctor practice, male doctor, and for some reason it felt like every appointment ended up with an internal examination, even when the issue was nothing to do with it.  So I left because I felt violated on some level.

This surgery has a fair few doctors, just turned out that only one mythical doctor there is a non Muslim lol, and I didn't fully appreciate how Islam would appear in my consultations.   Roll Eyes

Reply #8 - January 27, 2016, 06:55 PM

Even my brother who went in for depression, spent 40 minutes in the doctors office listening to a lecture on depression being caused by his not practicing Islam properly.  I mean surely this is unprofessional?  

that sounds like the kind of stuff that a doctor could lose his or her license over.

Anyway, about your problem, have you expressed to them that you're uncomfortable talking about religion in such a setting?

"we stand firm calling to allah all the time,
    we let them know - bang! bang! - coz it's dawah time!"
     Reply #9 - January 27, 2016, 10:43 PM

is it possible to book appointments on line at your surgery? It normally allows you to book the doctor you want to see without the speaking to the receptionist.

Reply #10 - January 28, 2016, 05:02 AM

Jesus Christ BerberElla where do you live?

If I were you I would just request different doctor. Non-muslim ones.
     Reply #11 - January 29, 2016, 02:08 AM

Maybe you can just ask to see that particular doctor. Perhaps they have a list of all doctors at that practice, and you can pick the non-Muslim name from that list. Might as well take a page from their book!

And I am really sorry. That sounds nightmarish. I believe that would be illegal in the US, to pair people up with clinicians by their ethnic/religious background.

Don't let Hitler have the street.
     Reply #12 - January 29, 2016, 10:33 AM

Illegal maybe, but these kinds of things happen all too often. I tend to think that belief in both equality and the value added by diversity of experience are both rather uncommonly held among the general populace, even in the "West" in 2016.

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #13 - January 30, 2016, 05:04 AM

I am glad I was spared- it might be proof of my privilege, since my name is Western.

Don't let Hitler have the street.
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »