Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 12:02 PM

Qur'anic studies today
Yesterday at 08:44 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
Yesterday at 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Yesterday at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: left islam (kinda, idk) but I don't know what to do with myself

(Read 4120 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • left islam (kinda, idk) but I don't know what to do with myself
     OP - January 25, 2016, 12:00 AM

Hi guys, it feels weird to be writing this because I've completely forgot how I was going to structure it so apologies for my erratic writing. thnkyu

I wanted to make an intro because I didn't know there was a section for that. So my background was that I was born into a culturally religious family (they practiced Islam in a way to be viewed as culturally appropriate) and had the typical childhood experience, go to madrasa (dugsi) read Quran, listen to stories, to the point I thought the Quran was a book of fairy tales innocently. I was made to wear the hijab at age 6 but overall as long as I believed and wore a hijab, I was okay. During my early teens I started to question my faith but because of family issues, I decided to abandon it. When I had to go live my aunt, that's when I started becoming religious.

My aunt is a VERY RELIGOUS woman. She can't even think of the idea of criticizing Islam, let alone do it. when living with her she was a rock to me in my life and the way she would empower me was by using Islam. Every time I would question my faith, she would show me a video or force me to watch peace TV in order to answer my questions about women in Islam etc. and foolishly I took them in which lead to me using Islam to boost myself, I started to become religious and take Islam seriously and watch videos of Muslim apologists making Islam all rosy and really believed in it. I felt that all the worlds problems was due to lack of Islam and that no one was practicing it properly. I used to feel pity at non Muslims and look down on non practicing ones. I even longed for a true Islamic state to solve my problems. Everything was fine until I started to be more honest with myself.

Truthfully I was dissatisfied with the concept of gender and their roles and how the main value of a woman is how they look after a household and bring up pious men. In all of my childhood, I was always put down by my parents as inferior due to being a female, I had always tried to be self sufficient and even when though a period of man hating (now I don't) and extreme low self esteem (which I feel to this day). I used to loathe being a woman because no matter what, I needed a man to complete me and that I would never be truly self sufficient. I got to a point last year where I started to question why I was doing these practices, why am I forcing myself to accept it when deep down I feel its wrong. It was then I started to look at Islam with a critical eye.

It wasn't sudden but gradual, all the reasons that were given to justify practices started to feel obsolete, the arguments were ultimately circular and complicated and I didn't understand how someone should be punished for all eternity for not believing in something that isn't obvious to all and in many ways flawed. The more I looked in the Quran the more I could see it was psychological slavery, kinda like a controlling partner entices you with sweet words but when trapped shows a much darker side. It felt invigorating to be able to free think but also scary.

Due to my former religiousness, I isolated myself from non Muslims, also due to my sheltered upbringing which my parents pride themselves on, I don't know how to integrate into secular society. Also my family have recently become religious and I idea of giving up faith is an unthinkable one. I know that when my cousin became non practicing, the relationship became more bitter and my aunt feels the incessant need to give him dawah, since I live with her, I would know life would become unbearable if I told her. Also my culture is greatly intertwined with Islam, even though I was born and grew up in the UK, I grew up with a strong sense of my Somali culture, and if any of you don't know, you cannot be considered Somali if your not Muslim to my community. Cry

Right now im literally depressed, I cant say to myself that I believe in Islam, but if you see me, I still wear the hijab and jilbab due to the paranoia of being too seductive (coz I was once called a slut for wearing a t-shirt). I went to get therapy but the psychologist referred me to talk to an imam. My family did always say my habit of constantly questioning and criticizing was always going to lead to my downfall. I feel like im useless. HELP! Have any of you ever felt this way? How did you deal with it? Would love to make some friends who understand what im going through. mysmilie_977

Once again, apologies for the erratic writing, I just genuinely can't articulate properly the questions on my mind (feel like an absolute drama queen). This is all I can get out of me.
     Reply #1 - January 25, 2016, 12:09 AM

I just feel like I would be better off dead right now....
     Reply #2 - January 25, 2016, 02:49 AM

Hey, that psychologist was an idiot. Try again, but maybe look for a therapist or counselor, Western if you can get one. I found one. It helps a lot, to be validated.

You are NOT better off dead. Just in case you meant that, please instead contact:
    Hotline: +44 (0) 8457 90 90 90 (UK - local rate)
    Hotline: +44 (0) 8457 90 91 92 (UK minicom)
    Hotline: 1850 60 90 90 (ROI - local rate)
    Hotline: 1850 60 90 91 (ROI minicom)
    E-mail Helpline: jo@samaritans.org
    24 Hour service:

Look, give yourself some slack. You are in a sort of Catch 22 and you have some decisions to make about your life and what you want to do with yourself. Take good care of yourself and think a lot about who you are and what you want. That will guide you.
    There are plenty of people here in your situation. You are not alone, not at all. Breathe. Eat well. Get your rest. Trust yourself. It will all come together.

Don't let Hitler have the street.
     Reply #3 - January 25, 2016, 07:25 AM

Thank you, I'll keep those numbers in mind, when I get these thoughts I just don't feel like I'm not bad enough to call them. Besides I've had some sleep and feel a lot more refreshed than when I was writing the post, maybe it was more to get my feelings out in the open. The psychologist was surprisingly western, going to find a new one hopefully.
     Reply #4 - January 25, 2016, 07:52 AM

Hi far far away,

I can understand how you are feeling and what you are going through. Because Islam uses a lot of mental processes to keep its followers it's often really hard to leave and the guilt and shame override the thinking mind. I'm like you, still wear my hijab and still seem Muslim. Yet, inside I'm in turmoil questioning every little aspect of my life and beliefs.
    I agree with you on the issues you have doubt with and I think we are right to question even. Though Islam doesn't encourage it.
    My best advice to you would be don't be hard on yourself, or put pressure on yourself that you can't handle right now. It's a difficult phase to go through and you don't have to all of a sudden run out in the street without hijab shouting your beliefs! Haha
    But seriously, your relationship with God (or no god) is your own, keep your hijab, smile and just play along for now. Find someone you can confide in if possible, their are a lot of places that support women because of religious abuse so you're not alone and your not the only Muslim women going through this! I'm right here with you sister. You have to accept yourself and love yourself no matter what.
    I hope you're feeling better today and not so low, each day gets better don't worry, don't pressure yourself, don't blame yourself and don't religiously shame yourself.

Hear for you if you need to talk
     Reply #5 - January 26, 2016, 02:31 AM

Thank you, I'll keep those numbers in mind, when I get these thoughts I just don't feel like I'm not bad enough to call them. Besides I've had some sleep and feel a lot more refreshed than when I was writing the post, maybe it was more to get my feelings out in the open. The psychologist was surprisingly western, going to find a new one hopefully.

Yes, you need one that is confident, instead of feeling out of depth on religious issues and religious trauma. You want someone who knows that you need empathy and understanding, not religious knowledge.
    I had a Western therapist tell me that because I left my religion I must be severely afflicted. No matter what that religion was, she felt if you changed your beliefs that you were unstable. I don´t see that one anymore. Just shop around, like you would for anything. Get an open-minded empathetic person.

Don't let Hitler have the street.
     Reply #6 - February 05, 2016, 05:47 PM

Welcome to the forum  parrot

I wish you all the best!
     Reply #7 - February 05, 2016, 06:13 PM

Here is a  parrot as welcome.

Also my culture is greatly intertwined with Islam, even though I was born and grew up in the UK, I grew up with a strong sense of my Somali culture, and if any of you don't know, you cannot be considered Somali if your not Muslim to my community. Cry

I am Somali so I totally get where you are coming from. I empathize with what you have to go through. I know for a fact you will be abandoned/disowned /rejected if you are open about your lack of faith. However, as you know, the cultural inhibitions tend to triple the agony of staying in Islam all together. So at some point you are going to have to make the hard decision of either coming out or staying in and swallow a culture that does not make sense to you any more.

People are different, I don't expect you to throw it on their faces, but it is always that much harder to live a lie than face the truth. By no means am I saying that it is easy to look people in the eyes and tell them, "I am not Muslim anymore"; and of course your personal safety and well-being should always be the priority. But for me I truly think I am freer when I tell people "religion is bullshit" Just my opinion.

Unlike you who was born in a western country, I have been in the midst of them all my life. However I chose my own path in terms of life partner, lifestyle and a bunch of other rebellious stuff that I did (still do) right in front of everyone's face.

Living in the west, you have a wealth of support at your disposal, make use of it, tighten your belly for the rejection and keep yourself safe. Like they say it in Somali caloosha adkeeyso oo ilkaha isku-qabso. grin12

Peace.

Tired of the bull-shit. I write my own doctrines.
     Reply #8 - February 05, 2016, 09:57 PM

Hello Far far away..

As you can see here.. there are many people like us from all over the world.. here you are not alone..  limit yourself from them for your own safety before anything worse happening is a wise action..

You can be full of kindness and love, but you cannot sleep next to a mad dog
     Reply #9 - February 13, 2016, 02:16 PM

Here is a  parrot as welcome.

I am Somali so I totally get where you are coming from. I empathize with what you have to go through. I know for a fact you will be abandoned/disowned /rejected if you are open about your lack of faith. However, as you know, the cultural inhibitions tend to triple the agony of staying in Islam all together. So at some point you are going to have to make the hard decision of either coming out or staying in and swallow a culture that does not make sense to you any more.

People are different, I don't expect you to throw it on their faces, but it is always that much harder to live a lie than face the truth. By no means am I saying that it is easy to look people in the eyes and tell them, "I am not Muslim anymore"; and of course your personal safety and well-being should always be the priority. But for me I truly think I am freer when I tell people "religion is bullshit" Just my opinion.

Unlike you who was born in a western country, I have been in the midst of them all my life. However I chose my own path in terms of life partner, lifestyle and a bunch of other rebellious stuff that I did (still do) right in front of everyone's face.

Living in the west, you have a wealth of support at your disposal, make use of it, tighten your belly for the rejection and keep yourself safe. Like they say it in Somali caloosha adkeeyso oo ilkaha isku-qabso. grin12

Peace.

Hehehe I love that Somali saying. I know I can't lie forever right now I'm just pretending to pray but for how long. I'm just debating whether I should come out and the implications. One of them being being force fed dawah till it becomes unbearable. (My habaryar has is thing where if she sees a quality she doesn't like, she will tell the whole Somali neighborhood and make them tell me off so that I get embarrassed and stop don't know whether that happens to you). I just found out that I'm suffering from severe depression and anxiety and since I feel mentally vulnerable, I don't want to do an action which will tip the scales also adding to that fact that I'm not sure what my beliefs are right now (my belief in religion especially Islam is pretty much dead but what I believe about God). All I know is that I cannot carry on with this for the rest of my life.
     Reply #10 - February 13, 2016, 02:17 PM

Welcome to the forum  parrot

I wish you all the best!

thanks!
     Reply #11 - February 20, 2016, 06:56 PM

(My habaryar has is thing where if she sees a quality she doesn't like, she will tell the whole Somali neighborhood and make them tell me off so that I get embarrassed and stop don't know whether that happens to you)

That right there is a classic case of how family members use religion to subject a person to a life of feeling ashamed for their free will. It's an emotional blackmail that won't go away until the individual stops giving a rat's *** over opinions held by others over their life. You will get there.

At the end of the day you have to do what you truly feel is best for you while silencing all the noises that may influence you decisions in one way or the other.

Sending you far away hug from Utrecht.

Tired of the bull-shit. I write my own doctrines.
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »