Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 07:25 AM

New Britain
Today at 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Donald Trump wants to ban Muslims from America

(Read 115141 times)
  • Previous page 1 ... 23 24 2526 27 ... 30 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Donald Trump wants to ban Muslims from America
     Reply #720 - February 11, 2017, 12:06 AM

Obama did the same thing in 2016. And did a sweep for 2.000 illegal immigrants in 2015. And arrested another 223 in 2013. It's almost like it's not just something Trump does, it's something all presidents have to do.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for I have a sonic screwdriver, a tricorder, and a Type 2 phaser.
     Reply #721 - February 11, 2017, 12:11 AM

Yes, I've no wish to defend Obama or the Democrats, or liberals for that matter. I'm not really trying to take a position on where America is going under Trump, more trying to understand what is happening.
     Reply #722 - February 11, 2017, 12:24 AM

Yes, I've no wish to defend Obama or the Democrats, or liberals for that matter. I'm not really trying to take a position on where America is going under Trump, more trying to understand what is happening.

Nothing new is happening besides political violence by antifa and other far left groups. The rest is all just media hype and pointing to anecdotes about things Trump is doing that fall well within the bounds of the law and of what previous presidents have done, as if he's the only one doing them and he's worse than all the other previous presidents because of those things. He's an asshole, but he's not literally Hitler. He's probably a racist, but as long as he acts within the bounds of the law and doesn't do anything particularly immoral, I'm just going to sit here and wait out the next four years. I think that all this hyping his actions up to be so much worse than they are is creating a situation where when he does something that is actually bad, everyone will be so sick of people crying wolf that nothing will get done about it.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for I have a sonic screwdriver, a tricorder, and a Type 2 phaser.
     Reply #723 - February 11, 2017, 12:50 AM

Why do you claim he is within the bounds of the law when a court has ruled his ban is not enforceable, not lawful? You seem to have a totally different take on all this than those outside the Tea Party.

Don't let Hitler have the street.
     Reply #724 - February 11, 2017, 01:07 AM

Why do you claim he is within the bounds of the law when a court has ruled his ban is not enforceable, not lawful? You seem to have a totally different take on all this than those outside the Tea Party.

Because he is using legal methods--ie, he is using appeals courts, not enforcing his EO while it has been suspended by the courts (and I'm sure he'll drop it when it is struck down by the Supreme Court--which will probably happen without a hearing, they'll probably uphold the appeals courts' decision to block it), and not just ordering the military to intervene and round up/deport everyone he doesn't like. America hasn't become a police state or a dictatorship. He's acting well within the bounds of our constitutional republic's three branches of government's division of power. This is why we have checks and balances in the first place. The president doesn't have to be an expert on the constitution. The last one was, this one isn't. The Congress doesn't have to be staffed with people who are constitutional experts, either. Because of this, our system often ends up with people creating laws and policies that are unconstitutional. So to make sure that the legislature and President stay within the constitution's limits, the higher courts are staffed with people who are constitutional experts, and their decisions are (for all intents and purposes) final. The system is functioning exactly as intended. That's what I mean by saying his actions are falling within the bounds of the law while simultaneously acknowledging that his EO was unconstitutional. He's falling within the bounds of what the system was created to handle and he's not presenting a danger to our constitutional republic's framework.

Reply #725 - February 11, 2017, 01:47 AM

Ah, got it. That makes sense.

Reply #726 - February 11, 2017, 09:44 AM

Obama did the same thing in 2016. And did a sweep for 2.000 illegal immigrants in 2015. And arrested another 223 in 2013. It's almost like it's not just something Trump does, it's something all presidents have to do.

Twitter thread: https://mobile.twitter.com/radiomorillo/status/830278127226068993
     Reply #727 - February 11, 2017, 12:45 PM

Twitter thread on protesting against Milo: https://mobile.twitter.com/shane_bauer/status/829823566690529281
    The notion—an almost entirely white one—that hate deserves protection is, in part, what led to violence on campus.

Continues here: https://mobile.twitter.com/shane_bauer/status/830116680886018048
     Reply #728 - February 11, 2017, 06:02 PM

Twitter thread: https://mobile.twitter.com/ClaudiaStellar/status/830244080030449665
    FYI: If you're just hearing/learning abt ICE & getting politicised - welcome. But know that ICE has been conducting raids since before Obama.

https://mobile.twitter.com/HalfAtlanta/status/830469161486786560
    Analyses/predictions of Trump's "deportation regime" which do not mention how 8 years of Democrat policies paved the way for it are useless.

https://mobile.twitter.com/JShahryar/status/830265912770957313
    Let me tell you something about Guadalupe Garcia's deportation that you don't know - what happens to deportees in Nogales, Mexico.

Reply #729 - February 11, 2017, 10:47 PM

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/02/mosques-want-to-provide-sanctuary-but-will-anyone-accept-the-offer/516366/
    On January 18, two days before the inauguration of Donald Trump, Clifton Mosque in Cincinnati announced its intention to become a sanctuary congregation. It would shield undocumented people from deportation and provide shelter to any refugee or immigrant in need, regardless of religious or ethnic background. The media hailed it as the first mosque to issue such a statement.

On February 7, the mosque quietly walked that statement back.

Instead of becoming a full-blown sanctuary congregation, Clifton Mosque would become a solidarity congregation. People would not be able to take up residence there, but the mosque would still help them in other ways, by providing everything from food to immigration counsel.

Three things happened to precipitate the change of heart, according to Imam Ismaeel Chartier, the leader of the congregation. In the days following the initial announcement, threats to burn down the mosque—more than 40 of them­—poured in, along with death threats leveled at Chartier himself. A new board was installed at the mosque and it reviewed these threats with mounting concern, as did several of the mosque’s congregants. And then, on February 1, the mosque leaders met with local Latino community members, who voiced an unexpected response to the offer of sanctuary: Thanks, but no thanks.

“They let us know that it was a beautiful stance on our part, but they just wouldn’t feel safe inside the mosque,” Chartier said. “They’d never stay with us, because we’re just as marginalized as undocumented people are.”

Reply #730 - February 13, 2017, 05:14 PM

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/pre-clearance-border-canada-us-1.3976123
    U.S. border guards would get new powers to question, search and even detain Canadian citizens on Canadian soil under a bill proposed by the Liberal government.

Legal experts say Bill C-23, introduced by Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale, and likely to pass in the current sitting of Parliament, could also erode the standing of Canadian permanent residents by threatening their automatic right to enter Canada.

Reply #731 - February 13, 2017, 09:12 PM

Maintaining a "Canadian" privilege at the cost of some sovereignty is not worth it. If American's border agents want to question or search me they can do it on their side of the border.
     Reply #732 - February 14, 2017, 05:36 PM

Well now they can do it on your side of the border too.

This fortress America mentality seems like it's going to end up being very counterproductive and costly over the long run, but for now it seems like paranoia about threats dictates policy over rationality.

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #733 - February 14, 2017, 06:20 PM

i want to leave islam
     Reply #734 - February 14, 2017, 10:54 PM

Well now they can do it on your side of the border too.

This fortress America mentality seems like it's going to end up being very counterproductive and costly over the long run, but for now it seems like paranoia about threats dictates policy over rationality.

Well the situation was ignored since Bill Clinton. Costs are going to go up due to how out of control all these systems have become. It hard to speculate if there will be a major cost difference as ICE could still be used as part of an amnesty program
     Reply #735 - February 15, 2017, 01:48 AM

If you want to see it be costly, try to wall up the northern border.

Reply #736 - February 15, 2017, 02:48 AM

The Great Wall of Canada.
     Reply #737 - February 16, 2017, 02:24 AM

My kids have decided they don't want to go into a camp. The youngest pretty much starts crying if we talk about it so the rest of us have decided to resist and run and tell her we are playing adventure princess instead of what's really happening. I need a canoe.

Reply #738 - February 16, 2017, 04:42 AM

My kids have decided they don't want to go into a camp. The youngest pretty much starts crying if we talk about it so the rest of us have decided to resist and run and tell her we are playing adventure princess instead of what's really happening. I need a canoe.

Not sure if comedy or tragic comedy.

Reply #739 - February 16, 2017, 07:21 PM

I told Steve Bannon: ‘We are not at war with Islam.’ He disagreed
    In late May 2016, I was invited to a private home in New York for a chat. Like a lot of other people, the host was concerned about Islam’s growing influence in Europe, and she wanted to meet because back in 2005 and 2006, I had been been at the center of the Danish cartoon controversy, one of many clashes between Islam and the secular values of freedom of speech and the right to criticize and satirize religion.

A man whom I’d never met before entered the living room. He sat at the table across from me. He was about my age, maybe a little older, burly but not overweight. His face was a bit ruddy. He was unshaven and barefoot with long and greying hair.

During our conversation, he introduced himself as Steve. It turned out that his last name was Bannon, and he was then the chief executive of Breitbart News, an alternative U.S. media outlet, which has become one of the most read and watched news websites and has recently expanded to Europe. A couple months after our encounter, Bannon joined Donald Trump’s presidential campaign as a top adviser. The rest is history.

Reply #740 - February 17, 2017, 03:07 AM

Not sure if comedy or tragic comedy.

Mostly a conversation in the car. If I forget her dress we are all screwed.

Reply #741 - February 18, 2017, 10:41 PM

Mostly a conversation in the car. If I forget her dress we are all screwed.

I just want to point out the lasting psychological damage that can be caused by making children live in a perpetual state of fear when there's nothing serious for them to be afraid of. An entire generation of Americans grew up with McCarthyism and we're still feeling the effects of that today. If I were a parent I would think very long and hard before attempting to instill paranoia of the government and their friends and neighbors into them.

Reply #742 - February 19, 2017, 01:36 AM

I would, too. I think it would be wrong to take traumatized children who already suffer from PTSD and explain to them the risks of the current political climate. I also think it is wrong for our political leaders to scare and threaten minorities with camps, but that is not the point, I suppose.
    Maybe their schoolmates and neighbors should shut up with their hate so I don't have to make light of the situation. Just because my kids live here and are active in the community doesn't mean that my kids are suddenly color and heritage blind. Holding mock elections for the real candidates in the classrooms did not help whatsoever to make them feel part of the crowd.
    Having the local police ask each teenage child who they are voting for did not help, either. Nor did yelling at those who named candidates other than Trump. Police officers are intimidating, never mind when they are angry.
    My kids can pretend to go along with the majority if they are afraid, but I am not going to convince them that they don't hear and see what they hear and see. That would be far more damaging, to ignore their concerns.
    My kids might be school age, but they are not stupid by any stretch, and neither am I.

Reply #743 - February 19, 2017, 04:13 AM

I also think it is wrong for our political leaders to scare and threaten minorities with camps

Literally who.

Maybe their schoolmates and neighbors should shut up with their hate so I don't have to make light of the situation.

Literally who. Have your kids been the victims of any hate crimes?

Holding mock elections for the real candidates in the classrooms did not help whatsoever to make them feel part of the crowd.

Depending on the age of the child, could be totally useless except as a way to gauge their parents' political ideations. If the children are old enough, it could be a springboard for them to discuss civics and civic duties.

Having the local police ask each teenage child who they are voting for did not help, either. Nor did yelling at those who named candidates other than Trump. Police officers are intimidating, never mind when they are angry.

Literally who.

My kids can pretend to go along with the majority if they are afraid, but I am not going to convince them that they don't hear and see what they hear and see. That would be far more damaging, to ignore their concerns.

I'm not suggesting ignoring their concerns, I'm suggesting analyzing their concerns carefully, and doing it with them would be an excellent exercise because it would allow them to learn to question their fears.

My kids might be school age, but they are not stupid by any stretch, and neither am I.

Not saying they are, they're picking up what is happening around them. Not saying you are, paranoia can affect anyone, intelligence is not a mitigating factor.

Reply #744 - February 19, 2017, 04:22 AM

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/33402802/ns/health-childrens_health/t/mom-dad-make-scary-movies-even-scarier/#.VCOk2GR4q5w

Here, read this article, it's on the "oh no, mom flinched" effect. Basically, kids pick up on your fear and it amplifies their own, even in situations where they wouldn't otherwise be scared.

Reply #745 - February 19, 2017, 01:34 PM

Separating out the incidents in my community and asking who and so on is not going to change that it has happened and is happening.
    Yes my children are bullying targets as is any child who stands out for any reason in my community. No, I won't call elementary school bullying "hate crimes" even if they are about hate.
    The internment camp idea was suggested by Carl Higbie as I understand it (had to google), some PAC guy, and repeated ad nauseam by Trump supporters here and I assume therefore it stayed in the media for a time. But my kids don't watch the news. You have to understand that I live in a small community that has the diversity and coloration of a chicken farm, and in any one gathering more than one person is openly armed. This is not a third party county, and many people here enthusiastically recite the results of their impromptu tannerite parties - this is the dominant culture. My neighbors, when confronted, are apologetic and yet still forget that little pitchers of any ethnic background have big ears.
    I am not divulging the officer's name because he is a high profile (locally) school liaison and his name is unusual. Giving his name gives my location.

I think you ought to step back from lecturing mothers on their parenting. It's patronizing and I think it better to assume mothers are doing a good job handling the situation than that they need to be schooled. Though I appreciate your good intentions I did not click on your link because I understand the concept quite readily. I assure you that the medical team who oversee my children monthly are confident in my abilities and successes and have no suspicions.

Reply #746 - February 19, 2017, 01:43 PM

The thing I'm most concerned about isn't critiquing your parenting or finding people to complain about. It's making sure that as few people as possible end up like me. That's what i dedicated my life to when i was four years old, sitting on a boat contemplating suicide. I knew i would never be normal and I'd probably never be happy or safe, but i had to live on to make sure that at least other people wouldn't have to suffer what i suffered. Like i said in my video (unquestionable narratives are inevitably harmful), i know all too well where paranoia and a refusal to question narratives leads. That's what i care about.

Reply #747 - February 19, 2017, 02:22 PM

I do appreciate your concern but I sadly found myself with disturbed children a few years ago- and that was the fault of many people, myself included. We got out at the best possible time in the best way I could, but it was a bit late. I have been repairing them ever since. They have made some progress but sadly one did reach the stage you were at, though he healed enough to grow away from it over the past few years I still watch him quite closely.
    I don't do anything else, really, except internet. There is not much point in anything if it doesn't benefit the children.

Reply #748 - February 20, 2017, 08:40 PM

Now CPAC no platforms Milo:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Delo_Taylor/status/833752149540618240

https://mobile.twitter.com/Delo_Taylor/status/833777929729540096

https://mobile.twitter.com/PublishersWkly/status/833802274187120640
     Reply #749 - February 20, 2017, 11:50 PM

British Muslim teacher denied entry to US on school trip
  • Previous page 1 ... 23 24 2526 27 ... 30 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »