Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Donald Trump wants to ban Muslims from America

(Read 115556 times)
  • Previous page 1 ... 25 26 2728 29 30 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Donald Trump wants to ban Muslims from America
     Reply #780 - February 25, 2017, 01:17 PM

Oscar nominated Syrian cinematographer blocked from entering US

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/oscars-2017-syrian-cinematographer-blocked-from-entering-us-for-oscars-the-white-helmets-the-a7598881.html

"I'm standing here like an asshole holding my Charles Dickens"

"No theory,No ready made system,no book that has ever been written to save the world. i cleave to no system.."-Bakunin
     Reply #781 - February 25, 2017, 04:15 PM

Just out of curiosity,what's your general take on "Muslim Ban" in general?

I think the EO has the inward intention from the mind(s) of it's creator(s) to act as a test bed for religious restrictions on immigration. Trump's rhetoric can not be divorced from this act. More so the EO merely uses existing policy from Obama as a facade so said intention is covered from a legal stand point. It is also politically motivated given nations on and not on the list, KSA for example.

I treat the legal status and orders within the EO differently than the intent behind it. The EO itself has no basis for restricting and detaining those not from listed nations. For those cases something else is at play be it a policy I do not know about, human error, human bias, agency disputes internal and external. I do not jump on the EO bandwagon for every claim people make nor that their opinion means anything or is evidence. Such claims have no evidence but merely play on emotions.
     Reply #782 - February 25, 2017, 04:34 PM

Would you be in favour of the deportation of the people on this forum who arrived in Europe (or the UK or US) as economic migrants rather than refugees? or who for one reason or another may have lied about their age or some aspect of their past? or who may have committed a crime of some kind since they arrived?

From a moral or legal stand point?

Reply #783 - February 25, 2017, 04:36 PM

What is “derogatory information" ? Speculation is fine but it is still speculation.
     Reply #784 - February 25, 2017, 05:06 PM

From a moral or legal stand point?

From the standpoint of what you'd want to happen or think should happen. I'm not sure if this is exactly the same as what you'd see as a moral standpoint, and I'm not entirely sure I understand the distinction you're making.
     Reply #785 - February 25, 2017, 05:18 PM

What is "derogatory information" ?

The original AP report has a bit more detail: https://apnews.com/7ac62f9365f447b5ad57924bce004937
    According to internal Trump administration correspondence seen by The Associated Press, the Department of Homeland Security has decided at the last minute to block Khaled Khateeb from traveling to Los Angeles for the Oscars.

Khateeb was scheduled to arrive Saturday in Los Angeles on a Turkish Airlines flight departing from Istanbul. But his plans have been upended after U.S. officials reported finding "derogatory information" regarding Khateeb.

Derogatory information is a broad category that can include anything from terror connections to passport irregularities. Asked for comment, a spokeswoman for the Department of Homeland Security, Gillian Christensen, said, "A valid travel document is required for travel to the United States."
    Khateeb had been issued a visa to attend the ceremony with Hollywood's biggest stars. But Turkish authorities detained him this week, according to the internal U.S. government correspondence, and he suddenly needed a passport waiver from the United States to enter the country.

The correspondence indicated he would not receive such a waiver. There was no explanation in the correspondence for why Turkey detained Khateeb.

Reply #786 - February 25, 2017, 08:51 PM

Hardly. You didn't read my post

And you need to read the EO and the hold order from the 9th distinct. Just because people have trouble at the airport does not mean it is the EO every time.

Oh yes the spirit... Is this the new slogan to use when you can not pinpoint specifics nor cited evidence?

Or you are too quick to blame the EO and Trump so ignore other issues like I brought up

Yes, I am too quick to blame the EO and Trump. I feel pretty justified in doing so. I also don't feel much of a need to throw up on here every application or misapplication of the EO that proves the ban is changing the spirit of our borders. Those are readily found in the news I read in the evenings.
    You seem to feel that the ban has no effect on how people are doing their jobs at the border or points of entry and I feel differently. I have stories of how it is different now and you probably do not have many stories on how it is exactly the same, because that would not be news.
    So I think much has to do with the ban, based on the testimonies I read, and you feel differently. You are probably reading the same things I am reading, so we just disagree. I am not going to have a debate on it, mostly because I like you a great deal and I don't want to debate something that seems to depend on perception and interpretation of testimonials.

Don't let Hitler have the street.
     Reply #787 - February 25, 2017, 11:12 PM

This sounds like something that a Xenophobic South Africans would say about Nigerians bringing drugs,scam and prostitutions to their beloved rainbow nation.

This is a map of all the attacks committed by migrants in Germany in 2016 that have been confirmed by police. The 2017 map is here. You can click on them or zoom in to see more details about the specific crime committed. These are just the ones in Germany, I don't know of any similar maps for other countries.

If the migrants aren't increasing crime, explain this data. These are the attacks by migrants who came during the migrant crisis that have been confirmed by the police. Not the ones reported on by blogs, the ones that weren't reported to the police, or the ones the police didn't report publicly. These are just the ones the police have confirmed.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for I have a sonic screwdriver, a tricorder, and a Type 2 phaser.
     Reply #788 - February 26, 2017, 01:16 AM

Would you be in favour of the deportation of the people on this forum who arrived in Europe (or the UK or US) as economic migrants rather than refugees?

That depends on several factors: when did they emigrate (longer than say, 5 years, no--shorter than that, maybe)? would they now qualify as refugees, even if they didn't at the time they emigrated (eg because they are now apostates and going back would mean their deaths)? Would they qualify to remain in the country under different circumstances (eg married to a citizen, have children born in the country, have a job that would qualify them for a work visa)?

or who for one reason or another may have lied about their age or some aspect of their past?

Too many variables to consider.  I would say as a general rule, it depends on the type of lie, how big of a lie it was, the intention behind it, and the damage it caused (if any)--but this would be a subjunctive clause to the questions from the earlier answer, so if they didn't qualify to be deported under the questions from the first answer, then I wouldn't bring it into consideration.

or who may have committed a crime of some kind since they arrived?

I should have qualified it with "violent crime". If it's a parking ticket, that's obviously not serious enough to deport over; if it's arson, rape, or murder, it is.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for I have a sonic screwdriver, a tricorder, and a Type 2 phaser.
     Reply #789 - February 26, 2017, 01:26 AM

Yes, I am too quick to blame the EO and Trump. I feel pretty justified in doing so. I also don't feel much of a need to throw up on here every application or misapplication of the EO that proves the ban is changing the spirit of our borders. Those are readily found in the news I read in the evenings.
    You seem to feel that the ban has no effect on how people are doing their jobs at the border or points of entry and I feel differently. I have stories of how it is different now and you probably do not have many stories on how it is exactly the same, because that would not be news.
    So I think much has to do with the ban, based on the testimonies I read, and you feel differently. You are probably reading the same things I am reading, so we just disagree. I am not going to have a debate on it, mostly because I like you a great deal and I don't want to debate something that seems to depend on perception and interpretation of testimonials.

What do you know based on the data. What does the data indicate. What does the data prove. What does the data suggest. If all you have is stories and testimonies and feelings, then I think the only rational course of action is to say "I don't care until you prove your claims with data." You have to prove the things you say are happening are in fact happening and prove these things are happening as a result of Trump and not some other factor, such as existing laws and policies and prove that the things that are happening are bad and result in negative outcomes for either the people trying to get into the countries or for the people already in the countries. Only after you do all three will I be able to have a serious discussion about the issues you posed.

Reply #790 - February 26, 2017, 02:44 AM

The original AP report has a bit more detail: https://apnews.com/7ac62f9365f447b5ad57924bce004937

The term is far to vague and far too wide reaching. If he traveled without a passport that is his fault. I have no idea why someone would travel without it.
     Reply #791 - February 26, 2017, 02:45 AM

Sure, then. After a few years when the hard data rolls in regarding the ban and comparisons of before and after implementation and etc then we can talk about it.

Reply #792 - February 26, 2017, 02:46 AM

The term is far to vague and far too wide reaching. If he traveled without a passport that is his fault. I have no idea why someone would travel without it.

Many refugees do not have passports. It's not uncommon to need to travel without having identification from a country in a state of war.

Reply #793 - February 26, 2017, 04:24 AM

No I just dispute that every victim's opinion is justified and correct. This goes into how humans think. We tend to identify and accept views from a victim over other views. For example in rape claims we side with the victim more often than not. However in some cases the charges are false. Duke University for example. However due to emotions we are willing to not only accept the claims as fact but take measures to punish the claimed perpetrator regardless of due process and innocent until proven guilty. Just recently two students were suspended for just such a false claim. They lost their scholarships, couldn't take part in any school function from the classroom to the football program. The charges were completely false in the end. However these two students face consequences for an act that was not proven but only claimed.

There is a different between claiming the EO has an effect in general and a claim that the EO had an effect in a specific case.

That is fine. My point is above is not a debate point but to point out how I view various claims these. I have become far more cynical when it to a lot of view points especially over hot button issue especially due to the media.
     Reply #794 - February 26, 2017, 04:27 AM

Many refugees do not have passports. It's not uncommon to need to travel without having identification from a country in a state of war.

I was talking about a specific case in the link. In the slate article he says his passport was not accepted thus he had it. He later says that it was rejected as the passport was not from Damascus but issued by Turkey. I do not know the policy regarding passports in that situation.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2017/02/25/oscar_nominated_syrian_cinematographer_khaled_khateeb_barred_from_entering.html
     Reply #795 - February 26, 2017, 08:59 AM

If the migrants aren't increasing crime, explain this data. These are the attacks by migrants who came during the migrant crisis that have been confirmed by the police. Not the ones reported on by blogs, the ones that weren't reported to the police, or the ones the police didn't report publicly. These are just the ones the police have confirmed.

So what are you to trying to say? That if there wasn't migrants in Germany that there would be no spike in crimes at all or what. Or are we talking about poor migrants because you can't tell me wealthy migrant or middle class migrants have spiked the crimes there too. How are we sure that majority of the ones that committed the crimes aren't locals or immigrant descents not just newly arrived ones (Which is a different issue to discuss) What you posted just raises more questions than answers and "evidences".

Plus I don't understand German  Tongue

"No theory,No ready made system,no book that has ever been written to save the world. i cleave to no system.."-Bakunin
     Reply #796 - February 26, 2017, 10:02 AM

Yes and no. It's possible that that is the effect he is having on some of the people who work at the TSA, but given their record during the last 15 years, I'd say that anyone who was strongly motivated by xenophobia instead of something like just needing the money or whatever was probably already in the TSA. I don't think there have been enough new hires in the last month to have changed things too drastically, and given that the EO was already struck down, it's not having a policy impact anymore, which means that as long as the people in the TSA who are motivated by xenophobia continue acting within the bounds of the law, things haven't actually gotten much worse. Since, as far as I know, no right-wing extremists have gone on a killing spree or actually hurt people except the one shooting that was self defense (and there was no arrest because the police agreed it was self-defense), I don't think right-wing violence is as big of a deal as the media is making it out to be, at least not in current year.

You're wrong about the right-wing extremists; one of them committed a terrorist attack on Muslims in Québec. And even if you were referring to the USA alone, in the current year they would have committed more hate crimes and attempted terrorism than the Muslim extremists. One of them was arrested and couple of weeks ago for plotting an attack on a synagogue in the spirit of Dylann Roof and another killed an Indian engineer and injured his friends for being foreign.

Since you do not have data to support your claims about BLM activists, are your assumptions based primarily on what you think and feel? The same thing you accuse three and me of basing our assumptions on?
     Reply #797 - February 26, 2017, 03:30 PM

I was talking about a specific case in the link. In the slate article he says his passport was not accepted thus he had it. He later says that it was rejected as the passport was not from Damascus but issued by Turkey. I do not know the policy regarding passports in that situation.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2017/02/25/oscar_nominated_syrian_cinematographer_khaled_khateeb_barred_from_entering.html

Yes, I have traveled with a refugee with a similar issue. He did not have a passport from his country of origin and they refused to issue him one so he traveled on a US travel document instead. It was a different color, same shape, but not considered a passport.

Reply #798 - February 27, 2017, 01:19 AM

So what are you to trying to say? That if there wasn't migrants in Germany that there would be no spike in crimes at all or what. Or are we talking about poor migrants because you can't tell me wealthy migrant or middle class migrants have spiked the crimes there too. How are we sure that majority of the ones that committed the crimes aren't locals or immigrant descents not just newly arrived ones (Which is a different issue to discuss) What you posted just raises more questions than answers and "evidences".

Plus I don't understand German  Tongue

What rock have you been living under? Are you claiming you haven't heard about German PM Merkel opening the borders to people of North African and Middle Eastern origin, under the guise of trying to help refugees, and the subsequent influx of well over a million people? Are you claiming to be unaware of the fact that, of those who traveled to Europe during the crisis, 58% were adult men, 17% were adult women, and 25% were children? Are you claiming to be unaware of scenes like this:

or this:

where thousands of people, mainly adult men, can be seen streaming across borders? Are you claiming to be unaware of these migrants banding together and forming their own mini villages, such as the Calais Jungle?

Are you claiming to be unaware of incidents such as the Cologne mass sexual assaults, which were planned and carried out by these migrant men? Are you claiming to be unaware that they came to Cologne on New Year's Eve with cards with Arabic to German translations with phrases such as "nice breasts", "I want to have sex with you", and "I will kill you"?

You don't need to speak German to realize there's a problem. If you click on any of the balloons on the crime maps, you'll see a news story in the left sidebar. If you click on that, it will take you to the report on the crime. If you wait there in Chrome, Google will volunteer to translate the page from German.

There's a reason there isn't a map like this for Chinese and Korean migrants, or Latin American migrants, or really any other group. I suggest you brainstorm what that reason may be.

Reply #799 - February 27, 2017, 01:33 AM

You're wrong about the right-wing extremists; one of them committed a terrorist attack on Muslims in Québec.

That was Feb. 10, 2017 and my post was on Feb. 8, 2017. My post was accurate at the time I wrote it.

And even if you were referring to the USA alone, in the current year they would have committed more hate crimes and attempted terrorism than the Muslim extremists.

Source?

One of them was arrested and couple of weeks ago for plotting an attack on a synagogue in the spirit of Dylann Roof and another killed an Indian engineer and injured his friends for being foreign.

Ok, that's two. How many crimes have Antifa and other leftists committed during the same time? Such as the crimes committed by protesters at this Milo Yiannopolis event, including beating a man unconscious and then continuing to beat him after he was unconscious and setting fire to buildings. There are counter-stories to all the stories you present.

Since you do not have data to support your claims about BLM activists, are your assumptions based primarily on what you think and feel? The same thing you accuse three and me of basing our assumptions on?

Yes. That's why I labeled that post "Opinion". I didn't present it as fact, I presented it as opinion. That's the difference between me presenting my opinions and you passing off your opinions as facts.

Reply #800 - February 27, 2017, 09:49 AM

French historian detained for 10 hours by US customs officials while on his way to an academic conference in Texas

He's an Egyptian born authority on the Vichy government and the holocaust.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Henry_Rousso/status/835858364617875457
     Reply #801 - February 27, 2017, 01:04 PM

Snip

No need to go through that trouble to the extent of throwing hyperboles as I'm highly aware of the Cologne mass sexual assault but I don't believe it should be used as an excuse to restrict or ban the Arab or North African migrants  from coming unless one has a record of committing sexual crimes.

Reply #802 - February 27, 2017, 01:57 PM

Trump's rhetoric sets a tone and creates an atmosphere that is detrimental to reasonable discussion of Muslim immigration into the West.  I live in NYC where there are hundreds of thousands of Muslims from Pakistan, Palestine, Syria and elsewhere.  There have been no overt acts of violence or riots and mass assaults like we have seen in Europe.  Overall, as I think has been stated more than once on this site - Muslims are better integrated in the U.S. than in Europe - but we also have to acknowledge that there are extremists who have arrived here (US) and the FBI has reported they are monitoring ISIS sympathizers in every state in the Union.

Half of all terrorist attacks that have occurred since 9/11 have been committed by US citizens.   This suggests to me that there will always be a small minority who will maintain the culture they came from, rather than learning and absorbing the host culture.   The goal has to be reasonable Muslims and non-Muslims recognize they face a common enemy (that mostly attacks other Muslims) and co-operate in preserving freedom and tolerance.  Trump's rhetoric is not helping to promote that at all.

Reply #803 - February 27, 2017, 03:56 PM

He broke the visa regulation. False victim pandering for sympathy, has nothing to do with Trump as these laws existed for years before the election.

See what I mean about people accepting the victims claims to the point they ignore facts as emotion matters more than breaking the law....
     Reply #804 - February 27, 2017, 04:10 PM

He broke the visa regulation.

This is untrue as clearly explained here: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/is-the-united-states-still-the-united-states_us_58b4393ce4b0780bac2b778f?0u0u49r0ca3jtt9
    On February 22, I was arrested at 2:30 p.m. at the George Bush Intercontinental Airport in Houston landing from Paris. I had to attend a symposium at Texas A&M University. I was interrogated for several hours following a random check of Customs and Borders Protection. Because I was in possession of a simple tourist visa, the policeman who was in charge of my case explained that I wasn’t allowed to give a lecture and receive an honorarium. I replied that it was the university that did all the formalities and that I have been doing this for 30 years without any trouble. Examining my passport, the policeman noted that I recently received a “J1” visa, granted to academics, having been a visiting professor at Columbia University in New York from September 2016 to January 2017. He concluded that I was returning to work “illegally” in the U.S. with an expired visa. I was therefore in breach, a decision confirmed by his hierarchical superior who I didn’t have a chance to meet.

This was followed by an extensive interrogation, the recording of my fingerprints, a search of the body in order. I protested, but “this is the procedure.” The policeman then informed me that I would be deported back to Paris on the next plane. He added that I will never be able to enter the country again without a specific visa. I couldn’t do anything but call my colleague from the university. The policeman called the consulate of France, but after several hours and with an inappropriate number, so I couldn’t benefit from this assistance.

During my detention, which lasted a total of ten hours, I mostly sat in a chair, without a telephone, but with the possibility to drink or eat. Most policemen had a regulatory tone, but some sneered discreetly as they watched the population under their control. A female police officer bawled at a woman whose three-year-old was running in all directions. A man suddenly had to sit down after getting up to inquire about his case because three police officers immediately reacted.

By 9:00 p.m., there were only half a dozen people left. I was the only European, the only “Caucasian.” Two police officers arrived and headed for the gentleman seated in front of me, maybe a Mexican. They were coming to take him to the boarding gate. Then they handcuffed him, chained him at the waist, and shackled him. I couldn’t believe it and I wondered if I would have to endure the same fate. As far as I have understood from what an officer told me later, this was indeed the procedure for all the people to be deported, a shameful practice apparently required by the airline companies.

At 1:30 a.m. ― I had left Paris over 26 hours earlier ― a policeman summons me, gives me back my phone and my passport, and declares me eligible to enter the United States. The restrictions imposed on me are lifted – but I don’t know what will remain in the files. He explains that the officer who examined my case was “inexperienced” and didn’t know that some activities, including those related to education, enjoyed an exceptional regime and could be carried out with a simple tourist visa. He lets me know that, having a lot of experience, he saw the problem when he took his post earlier in the night. He is kind enough to drive me out of the airport, a totally deserted place, telling me the address of a hotel nearby. At no time did he or his colleagues apologize. I will later learn that my release was not fortuitous. It is the result of my colleague’s call to the president of Texas A&M, who immediately alerted a law professor in charge of immigration issues. Without them, I would have probably been handcuffed, chained, and shackled back to Paris.

This incident has caused me some discomfort, but I cannot stop thinking of all those who suffer these humiliations and legal violence without the protections I was able to benefit from. A professional historian, I am aware of hasty interpretations. Meanwhile, I can raise some questions. Why did the random check fall on me? My “case” visibly presented a problem before even thorough examination. Maybe it’s my birthplace, Egypt, maybe my academic status, maybe my recent work visa expired, maybe my French citizenship too. Perhaps also, the current context. Even if I had made a mistake, which was not the case, did I deserve such treatment? How can one explain this zeal if not by the concern to fulfill quotas and justify increased controls? That is the situation today in this country. We must now face arbitrariness and incompetence at all levels. I heard recently that “Paris isn’t Paris anymore.” The United States seems no longer quite the United States.

Reply #805 - February 27, 2017, 07:11 PM

Sorry he cant work on a tourist visa. He said he was being paid. He got the wrong visa. It justifies his deportation not the treatment. What these articles show is that the laws are enforced to a higher standard than before which is actually a good thing. He and the lawyer admitted this. The problem here was the length of detention, the lack of access to any form of representation and the response. He still broke the law.

"In the past, I had not seen anything like that happening," Marouf said. "It seems like there's much more rigidity and rigor in enforcing these immigration requirements and the technicalities of every visa."

"Rousso said that due to the fact that he was going to be paid for his participation at the conference, the immigration official felt that he should have a working visa, not a tourist visa, when entering the US and therefore ordered him deported."

https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/visit/visitor.html
    http://www.theeagle.com/news/local/french-scholar-set-to-speak-at-hias-detained-by-customs/article_2ffe7467-c576-5220-9743-895cec0a3079.html?mode=story
     Reply #806 - February 28, 2017, 12:19 AM

I don't believe it should be used as an excuse to restrict or ban the Arab or North African migrants  from coming unless one has a record of committing sexual crimes.

What if their country of origin refuses to provide information about whether or not they've committed crimes or have previous terrorist involvement? Because that's exactly what's been happening.

Reply #807 - February 28, 2017, 12:55 AM

Sorry he cant work on a tourist visa. He said he was being paid. He got the wrong visa. It justifies his deportation not the treatment. What these articles show is that the laws are enforced to a higher standard than before which is actually a good thing. He and the lawyer admitted this. The problem here was the length of detention, the lack of access to any form of representation and the response. He still broke the law.

"In the past, I had not seen anything like that happening," Marouf said. "It seems like there's much more rigidity and rigor in enforcing these immigration requirements and the technicalities of every visa."

"Rousso said that due to the fact that he was going to be paid for his participation at the conference, the immigration official felt that he should have a working visa, not a tourist visa, when entering the US and therefore ordered him deported."

https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/visit/visitor.html
    http://www.theeagle.com/news/local/french-scholar-set-to-speak-at-hias-detained-by-customs/article_2ffe7467-c576-5220-9743-895cec0a3079.html?mode=story

Yeah the agent looking at the visa misunderstood how these things work.

Reply #808 - February 28, 2017, 12:57 AM

Then what happens with countries that refuse records is that person gets vouched for by an NGO or multiple NGOs and the FBI looks at that. Only NGOs with good records and consistent testimony are accepted.
    If we did not have a system in place for that situation we would never accept dissidents from other countries.

Reply #809 - February 28, 2017, 05:18 AM

Yeah the agent looking at the visa misunderstood how these things work.

No the university gave him the wrong Visa or didn't file for a waver. The agent did the job right. The other side didn't. Again another story that has nothing to do with the Trump EO.

https://f2.washington.edu/fm/globalsupport/honorarium-payments-foreign-nationals
    https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/visit/visa-waiver-program.html
  • Previous page 1 ... 25 26 2728 29 30 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »