Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
April 16, 2024, 07:25 AM

New Britain
April 16, 2024, 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: So I guess I'm officially an ex-muslim?

(Read 6919 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • So I guess I'm officially an ex-muslim?
     OP - November 30, 2015, 10:17 AM

Hi guys,

Name is Ziggy (highschool nickname, dont know how I got it).

I've been lurking around these forums and found a lot of value out of them. I think I'm at the stage where I can start to contribute a little bit to discussions on the forum hence the introduction.

A little about myself; I'm a 25 year old (Ex) Shia muslim male living in Australia (If someone in my life finds out I post on this forum, oh well, I'll deal with it).

Still living with my conservative Shia family. Parents are fairly conservative (although I would describe them as more moderate) and my sister straddles on the ambiguous line of being "religious in her heart" but doesn't seem to practice it that often as much of the Shia community in my area does.

I guess I'm introducing myself and starting to post here because I feel like I can't pretend anymore. It's not me. I can't pretend to be a muslim for much longer but I know I have to because there would be a massive backlash from my family (both immediate and extended) as well as my "community". I suppose using these forums will help me vent some of my frustrations and anger with Islam and the hypocrisy of both the religion and the people that follow it.

What initially triggered this post was a debate I had with my mum about the "importance of Namaaz (or Salat)". I logically picked her apart but I'm sure alot of you know, emotion and belief in Allah trumps logic everytime. Eventually, these debates end along the lines of "Don't question just believe" or "Allah knows best you can't doubt him blah blah blah".

I think eventually I'm going to come to a head with my family in the next couple of years where I'll have to essentially break my parents hearts and leave Islam (with everyone knowing about it) OR save face and stay a muslim in public and an "agnostic/atheist" in private just to appease all the people in my life. I can't imagine having to live the rest of my life in the latter manner. It seems unbearable not being who you really are and not being able to freely think out loud infront of your loved ones without being criticised. Hopefully, this forum will compensate for that  Smiley

In terms of my actual beliefs, I would probably describe myself as an agnostic but at times I feel like atheist when I see all the bullshit going on in the world. Why wouldn't a deity or higher power want to stop all this madness and just restore peace to the world if he/she/they existed?

In terms of what I like to do. I like video games, martial arts, basketball and many other things but I'll save that for other threads in the forum.

Hope to have fun and interesting discussions with you all  dance

thnkyu

P.S.  parrot parrot parrot

Parrots for life yo!
     Reply #1 - November 30, 2015, 10:49 AM

parrot

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #2 - November 30, 2015, 11:37 AM

Welcome parrot
     Reply #3 - November 30, 2015, 12:02 PM

parrot

Some relationship to Mr Bowie in your name?

When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.

A.A. Milne,

"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
     Reply #4 - November 30, 2015, 12:07 PM

Welcome! parrot

Don't let Hitler have the street.
     Reply #5 - November 30, 2015, 10:59 PM

Welcome Ziggy  parrot

I do like video games, what kind of games you play?
     Reply #6 - December 01, 2015, 12:39 AM

parrot

Nope. Although I know of Bowie, I'm afraid I don't get the reference.

Reply #7 - December 01, 2015, 12:41 AM

Welcome Ziggy  parrot

I do like video games, what kind of games you play?

Hey El Toro!

I play a bunch of stuff. Mainly in to single player games. Currently playing Fallout 4 and losing hours of my life to it. Typically I like to play RPGs and action-adventure games with RPG elements in them. Not much of a shooter fan although I still hop into The Last of Us multiplayer every now and then. Rocket League also sucks me in from time to time. I might post in the VG threads some time.

How about you?

EDIT: I thought there might be some sort of video game threads in here, doesn't look like it though. Ah well, ignore my last sentence lol.
     Reply #8 - December 01, 2015, 12:49 AM

parrot

The first record I ever bought...
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RWq1qX-8DA4
     Reply #9 - December 01, 2015, 12:55 AM

Ah ok cool. I know David Bowie was big in the 80s but never heard any of his stuff. Might give it a go although not sure how my ears would react to his stuff seeing as I grew up with Linkin Park, Eminem, Jay-Z and the like.
     Reply #10 - December 01, 2015, 01:00 AM

parrot I'm interested in getting to know an ex-shia. I'm an ex-salafi. We would have hated each other if we were both super religious. Now we can be friends.  bunny

"If you don't like your religion's fundamentalists, then maybe there's something wrong with your religion's fundamentals."
    "Demanding blind respect but not offering any respect in reciprocation is laughable."
    "Let all the people in all the worlds be in peace."
     Reply #11 - December 01, 2015, 01:53 AM

Cool, always looking to get to know more people. I don't really know what the differences are between shias and salafis but I'm sure it's something that's nonsensical. I see you're a Chrono Trigger fan, I think we'll get along very well  Afro
     Reply #12 - December 01, 2015, 02:03 AM

Chrono Trigger for the win. I love RPG games particularly. Xenogears is a great RPG that incorporates religious ideas. Same with Final Fantasy 10. Recommend them both.

When a Muslim gets exposed to the many sects, Salafi, Sufi, Shia versions of Islam, you start to see Islam is a scam. So I wouldn't worry about it. You're here now.  parrot

"If you don't like your religion's fundamentalists, then maybe there's something wrong with your religion's fundamentals."
    "Demanding blind respect but not offering any respect in reciprocation is laughable."
     Reply #13 - December 01, 2015, 05:41 AM

Yeah I loved FF10. FF9, FF7, FF Tactics and the Suikoden series are some of my favourites as well. Never had the chance to play Xenogears.
     Reply #14 - December 01, 2015, 10:00 AM

The sunni/shia split first came over a disagreement on Mo's rightful heir, and expanded from there to "Shia worship saints! Shirk!"

Basically, shia = catholic, sunni = protestant. Ahmadiyya are the muslim equivalent of mormons.

`Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     Reply #15 - December 01, 2015, 10:01 AM

Kaffir.

Reply #16 - December 05, 2015, 04:17 PM

Yeah I loved FF10. FF9, FF7, FF Tactics and the Suikoden series are some of my favourites as well. Never had the chance to play Xenogears.

You're a little more experienced than I thought..

If you think about FFX, New Yevon are like the Muslims, and the Al Bhed are like the ex-Muslims.  Cheesy

But yeah play Xenogears when you have the chance. One of the best RPGs of all time. The story breaks down any religion and shows its audience how ridiculous religion is. I know many philosophy majors that study that game in and out, and know many who realized religion in general is a hoax after they played that game.

I didn't realize religion was bullshit when I played that game because I was too young to understand at the time. But I revisited that game, and saw the minor details that carried deep meaning. It's too bad they had to rush disc 2 when making the game.

Reply #17 - December 05, 2015, 05:09 PM

test post

Edit: Welcome!
     Reply #18 - December 05, 2015, 05:12 PM

Received.

Reply #19 - December 05, 2015, 05:27 PM

I loathe to call myself an ex-muslim but I guess that's what I am even though I have been on this gradual journey of rejecting faith over logic. I'm a new member myself and am glad to see to many like minded people who have also freed themselves from the shackles of Islam. All my friends and family ascribe to this twisted faith in their varying degrees. In a recent exchange with a friend I challenged him on Islam's views on slavery and slave rape, he denied that any such thing existed, then when the evidence was shown the counter argument changed to 'oh but those were different times', when I pressed him further he admitted that should that climate re-emerge he would see no problem with slavery and the subsequent rape of that slave as it is his property. This is what Islam forces good people to say so that they may avoid deviating from the supposed path of righteousness.

I will however not give up hope that maybe one day my friends and loved ones might find true liberation by ridding themselves of this inherently twisted ideology and see it for what it is, the greatest lie ever told.
     Reply #20 - December 05, 2015, 05:35 PM

"Let me explain the context of slavery in Islam to you"

I'm always like, "Really? Even giving the benefit of the doubt that Islam magically reformed slavery, can't we let this slavery thing go?"

I remember being in a mosque, and what was written on the board was the recompense for murdering someone on accident.. Freeing a slave was one of the things you could do..

How in the world does me freeing a slave in the 21st century have anything to do with me killing someone on accident?

Reply #21 - December 05, 2015, 05:58 PM

I think the context argument is the most baffling for me. Oh it was okay during those times, Huh?, this is supposed to be the word of an eternal, all knowing god, words that are meant to resonate with humanity for all times, but not only does he not denounce the barbaric act of enslaving and raping but he expressly permits it.
     Reply #22 - December 05, 2015, 06:05 PM

Yep, exactly.

In the extreme salafi school of thought of Islam, you can marry and have sex with girls before they hit puberty. But the magical context is "as long as it doesn't hurt her or bring injury to her vagina."

So when we hear those stories of young 8 year old Yemeni brides dying after having ruptured organs from having sex too early, I guess "they didn't do it under context."

But don't worry, Allah is Al Ghafoor-ArRahim..

And when you bring these issues to the modern Islamic speakers, they say, "Yes these are important issues we need to address. That is why we must return back to the Qur'an and Sunnah!"

And the bullshit circle continues.

Reply #23 - December 05, 2015, 06:11 PM

Yes, ask the experts my friends say, as if any of these charlatans would say anything against Islam. Like you said all they do is keep this lie going by stretching the meaning of some vague Arabic word to fit their needs and if all else fails, Allah knows best akhi, who are we to judge him.

It seems Allah's moral compass is well and truly f**cked.
     Reply #24 - December 06, 2015, 11:28 AM

Been busy for a few days so wasnt able to keep up with the thread.

I didn't realize religion was bullshit when I played that game because I was too young to understand at the time. But I revisited that game, and saw the minor details that carried deep meaning. It's too bad they had to rush disc 2 when making the game.

Holy shit! Forgot about the whole new yevon vs al bhed thing but yeah I guess that makes sense. I was around 12-13 when I played the game so I didnt really pickup all the religious stuff. Was mainly entertained by the awesome battle system. Which I think a lot of JRPGs should get back to. Too many of them are turning into shitty action adventure games when they should be focusing on the RPG elements and the turn based combat mechanics that make them great.

The sunni/shia split first came over a disagreement on Mo's rightful heir, and expanded from there to "Shia worship saints! Shirk!"

Basically, shia = catholic, sunni = protestant. Ahmadiyya are the muslim equivalent of mormons.

Yeah I knew about the split and why it occurred but I never really understood the sub sects within the major sects i.e. salafis, wahabbis etc. and what makes those subsects different to the others.

Kaffir.

I'm a 90s baby, dont blame me, blame my parents   Wink

I loathe to call myself an ex-muslim but I guess that's what I am even though I have been on this gradual journey of rejecting faith over logic. I'm a new member myself and am glad to see to many like minded people who have also freed themselves from the shackles of Islam. All my friends and family ascribe to this twisted faith in their varying degrees. In a recent exchange with a friend I challenged him on Islam's views on slavery and slave rape, he denied that any such thing existed, then when the evidence was shown the counter argument changed to 'oh but those were different times', when I pressed him further he admitted that should that climate re-emerge he would see no problem with slavery and the subsequent rape of that slave as it is his property. This is what Islam forces good people to say so that they may avoid deviating from the supposed path of righteousness.

I will however not give up hope that maybe one day my friends and loved ones might find true liberation by ridding themselves of this inherently twisted ideology and see it for what it is, the greatest lie ever told.

This is what puzzles me the most about Islam and other religions to a degree.

If the context was meant for another time in history, then why doesn't god just release a new edition of the Quran every, say, 5 year or 10 years?

Y'know, like the Webster dictionary releases a new edition of the dictionary every year with new words and different explanations and stuff. Why can't he do the same?

Sucks that your friend is in that mindset, hopefully common sense prevails. I'm sure his views would change if he was ever to be made a slave or even worse, if his sisters or mother were used as sex slaves.
     Reply #25 - December 06, 2015, 04:14 PM

Ah ok cool. I know David Bowie was big in the 80s but never heard any of his stuff. Might give it a go although not sure how my ears would react to his stuff seeing as I grew up with Linkin Park, Eminem, Jay-Z and the like.

No real relevance to this thread but Ziggy Stardust was released in 1972. Look up "concept album". The songs are about a rock star that becomes a conduit for extra terrestrial beings. Could sound familiar-ish.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ziggy_Stardust_and_the_Spiders_from_Mars_(film)
     Reply #26 - December 11, 2015, 01:57 PM

Heyy! I'm Sara and I'm also an ex-muslim from Australia Cheesy exciting to see ex-muslims from Australia hehe
     Reply #27 - December 12, 2015, 08:09 AM

bunny bunny
     Reply #28 - December 12, 2015, 08:58 AM

Welcome from sunny Melbourne :-)
     bunny parrot bunny
     Reply #29 - December 12, 2015, 03:36 PM

Welcome to the forum Ziggy, have a rabbit!  bunny

You seem like a cool person.  Smiley

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »