Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 07:25 AM

New Britain
Today at 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: If You Could Go Back, Ex-Muslims..

(Read 8775 times)
  • 12 3 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • If You Could Go Back, Ex-Muslims..
     OP - November 20, 2015, 11:55 PM

So I want to know from all ex-muslims on what you would do if you could travel back in time, knowing what you know now about Islam..

If you could go back in time to a critical or crucial moment of your life to save you heartache and depression, bearing the knowledge that you have of Islam now, what would you do?

Would you go off on a certain Muslim? Would you shave that beard for that job interview? Would you ask a certain girl/guy out that you rejected because of Islam before? This should be fun. haha

"If you don't like your religion's fundamentalists, then maybe there's something wrong with your religion's fundamentals."
    "Demanding blind respect but not offering any respect in reciprocation is laughable."
    "Let all the people in all the worlds be in peace."
     Reply #1 - November 21, 2015, 12:02 AM

I'd tell my former self to take off the hijab much earlier, to NOT sign that petition against Ayaan Hirsi Ali at Brandeis, not to be a wimp and believe herself to be constantly persecuted for her beliefs 24/7 and to stop demonising ex-Muslims and atheists like Dawkins.
     Reply #2 - November 21, 2015, 12:13 AM

I used to HATE Ayaan Hirsi Ali, but I LOVE her now..

It's crazy the emotions Islam gets on us. It's like a demon. Everything that was good for us, we saw it as evil with our Islamic goggles..

"If you don't like your religion's fundamentalists, then maybe there's something wrong with your religion's fundamentals."
    "Demanding blind respect but not offering any respect in reciprocation is laughable."
     Reply #3 - November 21, 2015, 12:16 AM

I used to see her and Salman Rushdie as total demons, without bothering to think about why they were actually hated. I didn't realise that Salman Rushdie got hatred just for criticising Muhammad and satirising him in a novel which wasn't even ABOUT him. He researched something, saw something was up and then addressed that in his book, but Muslims didn't want to hear it and accused him of inciting evil. It's stupid.
     Reply #4 - November 21, 2015, 12:50 AM

I know! I recently just read a little bit of The Satanic Verses, and thought "This is what Muslims got all riled up over?"

Then I saw Yusuf Islam say that he supported Khomeini's fatwa against Rushdie.. And he was supposed to be the peaceful moderate.. Then I saw Rushdie's comment about Yusuf, saying that Yusuf is a very troubled man.. And he is..

That put everything in perspective for me.. People who convert to Islam are either naïve or troubled people..

Reply #5 - November 21, 2015, 01:23 AM

I believe so, too. I personally believe they live constantly in denial over what they've converted to.
     Reply #6 - November 21, 2015, 01:55 AM

I would have learnt more Arabic, more quickly. That would have shortened the timespan I remained in the faith quite considerably. My life probably would have gone on the same for a bit, but I would no longer have been bound so tightly. Maybe I would have been able to escape sooner, with my children less affected. 

Don't let Hitler have the street.
     Reply #7 - November 21, 2015, 03:25 AM

I know! I recently just read a little bit of The Satanic Verses, and thought "This is what Muslims got all riled up over?"

Salman Rushdie didn't even slag off islam, he just wrote a fantasy novel.

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #8 - November 22, 2015, 06:07 PM

I would go back to the moment my dad asked me to choose whether I wanted to wear my hijab full-time or not at all, 'instead of this part-time nonsense'. I would go for the 'not at all' option.

The future is full of thrilling possibilities.
     Reply #9 - November 23, 2015, 07:31 AM

Me becoming ex-muslim really came at the right time- parents not practising (compared to before they were full on) and my mother also taking off hijab and having doubts about islam.

But I would not bother to pray so many times a day! Like i remember it was so hard to keep up with the daily prayers and even when I was not praying I would be thinking "oh next prayer is close"! It felt like a daily burden, as I didnt feel a connection with God as I was reciting a language I didn't even understand.

I would also tell myself to not feel guilty doing certain things.

I would also say not wear hijab at all- I would feel more like myself, do more outdoor sports, feel more part of the community, get less stares, not get racist comments, not get extremely hot and sweaty on hot days etc.. but that would have been impossible at the time due to my parents forcing hijab on me.

With the knowledge I have now and going back then I wish i could have answered back at ridiculous claims from muslims but back then I used to believe in them too.

Also I was in a "halal" relationship with a guy for more than an year- I would tell myself to not even be with him as he's way to religious for me. I was so young (like 15!) and he wanted to marry me asap due to Islam forbidding relationships... so glad his family rejected me as they wanted a girl from their culture.
     Reply #10 - November 23, 2015, 07:36 AM

Me  ex-muslim ...........

...not bother to pray ..............

........."halal" relationship...............

hello smilemore.. how are you doing??..  "Smile away and smile all the time.. even in difficult times.. and never stop smiling" , and welcome to the cemb den..

So you stopped praying and started PREYING??  ...well that is OK., but I am glad you didn't get married when you were just 15..

with best wishes
    yeezevee

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #11 - November 23, 2015, 04:37 PM

smilemore that was a great story..

That halal relationship tho... haha reminded me of when a hafidh (hafiz) came into one of the muslim communities for ramamdan and made out with a non-hijabi muslim girl in the parking lot. He got so much heat from the muslim community, he never came back for years. Took about 3 years, and then he came back to recite the quran for taraweeh prayers.

Reply #12 - November 23, 2015, 04:52 PM

I don't get the hatred towards Salman Rushdie either, just goes to show how insecure some Muslims are when it comes to their beliefs.

On the other hand while Ayaan Hirsi Ali used to speak a lot of truth, she has now seemingly gone apeshit and decided to advocate religious discrimination and mass murder as well as sympathise with Anders Breivik.

In response to your question I would never have worn hijab or wasted so much time praying. Or fasted for such long periods, thinking I was having my sins erased. I would have probably started having relationships much earlier and never joined the ISOC at uni.
     Reply #13 - November 23, 2015, 06:06 PM

"I would have probably started having relationships much earlier and never joined the ISOC at uni."

I hear ya when it comes to that. I joined the Muslim Student Association at my Uni, and I never met a more manipulative group of people in my life! I remember when I was Salafi and laid the SMACKDOWN on them. I screamed, "YOUR CULTURE IS GARBAGE! MUSIC IS HARAM!" And I asked for a barrier between the men and women and got so much heat for it! They hated my guts! lol

However, they operated like a mobster clique. They ruined peoples reputations and had a hit list. I was on it.

As far as Hirsi Ali, I kind of don't blame her thoughts.. However going down the Donald Trump way of thinking isn't gonna solve anything. whistling2

Reply #14 - November 24, 2015, 01:58 PM

If I knew what I know now about Islam from my childhood (which is weird to think about in itself how that would be possible, but I'll humor it), I would definitely do at least two things.

Firstly I would have attempted to make more meaningful friendships with non-Muslims. Didn't do that nearly enough. Human connections are hella rewarding, even if you're not a popular, tall, athletic, and attractive person.

Secondly I would have gotten really good at flirting with ladies. This is self-explanatory.

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #15 - November 24, 2015, 05:53 PM

"I would have probably started having relationships much earlier and never joined the ISOC at uni."

I hear ya when it comes to that. I joined the Muslim Student Association at my Uni, and I never met a more manipulative group of people in my life! I remember when I was Salafi and laid the SMACKDOWN on them. I screamed, "YOUR CULTURE IS GARBAGE! MUSIC IS HARAM!" And I asked for a barrier between the men and women and got so much heat for it! They hated my guts! lol

However, they operated like a mobster clique. They ruined peoples reputations and had a hit list. I was on it.

As far as Hirsi Ali, I kind of don't blame her thoughts.. However going down the Donald Trump way of thinking isn't gonna solve anything. whistling2

Lol seriously?! Yeah, the ISOC were very manipulative as well and some non-hijabi girls who joined ended up wearing hijab after a few months because they were under pressure to be a "precious, protected pearl". They tried they same with me and I told them to go to Hell (politely). Unlike the MSA they did have gender segregated events, but from what I have heard the Muslims in the US and Canada are generally more liberal.

There was definitely a lot of gossip going on with them as well.
     Reply #16 - November 24, 2015, 08:02 PM

"the Muslims in the US and Canada are generally more liberal."

Are you from Australia? Where are you from if you don't mind me asking. I assume Australia because Muslims seem to be a little more strict over there.

As far as them being more liberal.. It's kind of weird. The hijabis in particular would be so confused and preach Islamic morals to the muslim brothers, but at the same time when they went to a philly cheesesteak place, and saw a non-muslim guy with tattoos, they'd blush and flirt with him.. It was confusion to the tenth degree.

I would say the brothers would be a little more modest, in the sense of staying away from non-muslim women if they were part of the MSA, but they'd have a "brothers" get together and play videogames.

It was odd. Hormones, secular education, and Islam in the west really confused a lot of muslims on how they should behave, act, etc.

Reply #17 - November 24, 2015, 09:34 PM

Nah, I'm a Brit. I take it that the Muslims in Australia are similar to the ones over here. Met hijabis in the ISOC who joined with the hopes of finding a husband. There were often complaints from the head brother/sister about inappropriate conduct lol.

Lots of Muslims do try to twist Islam to make it suit a more Western lifestyle but I don't blame them. Trying to live like a 7th century Arabian while living in the West must be extremely confusing.
     Reply #18 - November 25, 2015, 01:33 AM

yyep same here in America.

except in Britain, you guys are way smarter and a little more strict than America. The muslims are way more dedicated over there as well. If I was in Britain a couple of years ago, I would have been apart of the Birmingham salafis.

I almost married a pakistani british muslim girl that was part of an isoc.. So I know they have a desire to get married.

Reply #19 - November 25, 2015, 01:53 PM

1. More relationships with women
    2. I wouldn't do a presentation about the Qur'an to my fellow engineering students in my first year of uni
    3. Would not have wasted all that time being a committee member of my university ISoc
    4. Would not have let the fear of hell consume me
    5. Not wasting my time trying to be friends or fit in with "pious Muslim" crowd
     Reply #20 - November 25, 2015, 10:12 PM

"the Muslims in the US and Canada are generally more liberal."

Are you from Australia? Where are you from if you don't mind me asking. I assume Australia because Muslims seem to be a little more strict over there.

As far as them being more liberal.. It's kind of weird. The hijabis in particular would be so confused and preach Islamic morals to the muslim brothers, but at the same time when they went to a philly cheesesteak place, and saw a non-muslim guy with tattoos, they'd blush and flirt with him.. It was confusion to the tenth degree.

I would say the brothers would be a little more modest, in the sense of staying away from non-muslim women if they were part of the MSA, but they'd have a "brothers" get together and play videogames.

It was odd. Hormones, secular education, and Islam in the west really confused a lot of muslims on how they should behave, act, etc.

Overal perception of American Muslims is that they're better integrated and more open-minded than in the UK. Though a muslim friend from there also said that ex-Muslims aren't in any danger over there like in the UK, and when I challenged this by saying I heard of similar cases in North America she went into apologist mode, claiming that 'Ex-Muslim organisations malign Muslims' and 'you won't have heard of the ex-Muslims living peacefully among Muslims because they don't have 15 minutes of media'.
     Reply #21 - November 26, 2015, 01:41 PM

That's a really interesting question and it's nice too see the responses, myself I would have been less strict with myself about how I followed Islam and hated parts of myself because of it. But saying that I don't think I would change anything, as it's made me who I am today, it's just another life experience. I don't know maybe it's because I don't hate religion, it's just not the right fit for me.
     Reply #22 - November 26, 2015, 04:57 PM

"I don't know maybe it's because I don't hate religion"

That's very interesting coming from an ex-muslim. I applaud you for not turning to blind hatred.

I myself am a little confused at times whether I should hate religion overall or not. I do think the world will be a better place with them having very little impact on the world..

At the same time, I do recognize some religions does bring about some good (morality.)

My stance is that religion can be helpful for really dumb people who can't figure things out in life..

But for an enlightened person, it's better that they abandon it.

Reply #23 - November 26, 2015, 05:08 PM

At the same time, I do recognize some religions does bring about some good (morality.)

Hmm..  ...religions does bring about some good (morality.) .... says ExMVG....

hello ExMuslimVlogGuy.. did you say that or did you paste that from someone else's post?

any way this Dawkin's tube is good one to watch..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XtvWkRRxKQ

well let me add more of such tubes...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mu7AQTs_y5A

Damn.. that tube is funny.. Dawkins takes out glasses to answer the question..  I guess one has to be careful when he takes out glasses to answer a question...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aO2NSGfwMkA

with best wishes
    yeezevee

Reply #24 - November 26, 2015, 07:50 PM

yyep same here in America.

except in Britain, you guys are way smarter and a little more strict than America. The muslims are way more dedicated over there as well. If I was in Britain a couple of years ago, I would have been apart of the Birmingham salafis.

I almost married a pakistani british muslim girl that was part of an isoc.. So I know they have a desire to get married.

The Birmingham Salafis are some of the strictest for sure  Grin
     Reply #25 - November 26, 2015, 07:52 PM

The Birmingham Salafis are some of the most strict for sure  Grin

PUT THE BURQA ON THE RASCALS  24/7....    and..and make them cook to their women folks and  ...and clean their children diapers...

Reply #26 - November 26, 2015, 08:03 PM

Yeezevee,

I have seen all those videos you posted already. I'm aware of what Dawkins and Harris has to say, and I agree with them in an ideal world.

The world would be better off without Islam, Christianity, Judaism, etc..

But realistically in our times, the only thing that lasts are good ideas. There can only be reform, reform, and more reform when it comes to religion.

There are open-minded Muslims out there that are progressing out of medieval thoughts.

Yes, eradication would be ideal, but we have to work with what we got. I'm not looking to argue or debate this matter.

Extremism will always exist, and if you combat them by saying "All religion is evil" instead of invite them to critical thinking, then you will lose more people to extremism.

Like I said, dumb people will follow religion, but it's up to us to challenge them. Enlightened people, yes, should abandon religion completely.

Reply #27 - November 26, 2015, 10:22 PM

If I could go back, I would try harder to keep my faith.

If you think about it, it is easy to dismiss Islam or any other religion. There are plenty of logical inconsistencies that you can point to and refute. Faith lets you look beyond the flaws and believe. Unfortunately, people can be just as logically inconsistent, but much harder to dismiss, especially if you care about them.

Faith lets us forget and move on. It lets us ignore the past and speak of the future with conviction: “It must be for the best”, “things can only get better”. It lets us forget what was, what could’ve been and what should’ve been.

Faith lets us be selfish. It lets us abandon old friends and move on to new ones. It gives us strength to move beyond past injustices.

Faith lets us convince ourselves and never back down. It lets us fit the facts around our solution, instead of making us create a solution to fit the evidence. It makes us docile and complicit and less willing to fight. It lets us give up our hopes, dreams and aspirations. It lets us give up and forget yet somehow still carry on.

Faith sucks, yet I envy those who have it.
     Reply #28 - November 26, 2015, 10:49 PM

Faith is an ambiguous word, especially on this forum.

Could you clarify what you meant? Did you mean your faith in Islam or faith in yourself?

Reply #29 - November 26, 2015, 11:02 PM

Not necessarily faith in Islam, but faith in anything - yourself, humanity, someone else. It helps.

Religious people tend to say/believe things like "God works in mysterious ways" or "Whatever happens is always for the best". But logically, those statements are not true. In my analysis of religion and other scientific material, I stopped saying/thinking things like that. I had faith in humanity, but not much anymore. I had faith in myself, but it's hard to reconcile that with logic - things aren't always logically consistent. And with those doubts, it hard to have conviction.
  • 12 3 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »