Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Yesterday at 08:44 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
Yesterday at 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Yesterday at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 18, 2024, 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: From Cultural To Super Salafi To Ex-Muslim

(Read 6739 times)
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • From Cultural To Super Salafi To Ex-Muslim
     OP - November 20, 2015, 11:40 PM

I never join forums, but I really want to connect with those who go through a super salafi burnout.

I think there's a lot of us out there that start listening to YouTube lectures on Islam, namely from those who follow "Ahlul Sunnah wal Jammah" and those that "follow the salaf."

What a traditional disease. You don't see it coming. I apostated in 2014, and it's almost the end of 2015 and I feel dead inside just a little bit.

Everything that we are told about Islam is a waste of life. I can't even express it in words, but we all know in the back of our minds that stoning, the marriage of Aisha, apostate laws, the treatment of homosexuals, etc. is all wrong, but we continue to justify it.

I am an agnostic atheist now, but I used to hate and demonize atheists..

Now before this ultra super salafi phase, I had a choice to be moderate-sunnah practicing muslim while getting along with everyone in the world, but I'm glad I became an isolated, and depressed soul that kept lying to himself.. Or else I probably would have spent my whole life in a lie.

We all looked at Allah as filling a personal void but it was because of attachment. All personal attachment. We're attached to the sound of the Adhaan and the sound of the recitation of the Qur'an.. When the whole time we're not even thinking about it. If someone recited "beat your wives" in a melodic and harmonious tone, we would just cry at the sound of it during taraweeh in Ramadan.

It's amazing how this happens. I don't need to go over what "Salafi Burnout" is because many have gone through it.. The question is how are we supposed to live our lives after ALL this stuff happened?

I guess it hasn't hit me yet.. All of the freedoms in the world, and all of the thoughts that are now possible. There's a hadith that says that Islam is a prison for the believer.. And I couldn't agree more.

I feel like a prison inmate that just got out and I don't know what to do even though I spent the last year and a half chilling with the "kuffar." So if there's anyone who went through a similar experience, please share.

"If you don't like your religion's fundamentalists, then maybe there's something wrong with your religion's fundamentals."
    "Demanding blind respect but not offering any respect in reciprocation is laughable."
    "Let all the people in all the worlds be in peace."
     Reply #1 - November 21, 2015, 01:11 AM

You're in good company here. I wrote a response to a member that was probably where you were this time last year. I'll leave a link as it may help. I hope it does, or at least offers some perspective. I was shit tired when I wrote it so there's a few typos.

http://www.councilofexmuslims.com/index.php?topic=24235.msg697248#msg697248

Welcome to CEMB. parrot

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #2 - November 21, 2015, 01:24 AM

thanks Quod!

"If you don't like your religion's fundamentalists, then maybe there's something wrong with your religion's fundamentals."
    "Demanding blind respect but not offering any respect in reciprocation is laughable."
     Reply #3 - November 21, 2015, 01:39 AM

Afro

`Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     Reply #4 - November 21, 2015, 01:52 AM

Well, I was not super Salafi, at least no one ever defined me that way, but I was super devout. There is life after it, but no, I have never gotten the religious high since I quit. Which is fine, because it wasn´t real, anyway, right? Just a delusion. I think the worst part of the aftermath is that horrible judgemental voice in my head that looks at tattoos or short shorts or even hijab and dares to assume something about the person wearing them. That superficial policing voice drives me up the wall. If I could carve it out of my head with my fingernails I would do so.
    I miss the Ummah something fierce.
    For the first year I felt high every time I did something the slightest bit haram. Answering the phones at work, driving a car without permission, getting a haircut in front of a window. Smoking handrolled halfzware shag was the most daring I got. Nothing says rebellion like imported quality tobacco.
    When I realized that I didn´t have to police my thoughts anymore and dared to think outside Islam, then I knew I was free. It took a while.

Don't let Hitler have the street.
     Reply #5 - November 21, 2015, 03:08 AM

Yeah the past year I just been enjoying life. I feel like a baby. yes

But I will say the one weird thing about me is that I'm still a virgin in my late 20s.. And I talked to other virgins in their late 20s.. And they, along with I, seem to be a little socially awkward.

It's weird because it's harder to relate to others in that way. I think having sex changes one's mentality big time.

Reply #6 - November 21, 2015, 03:11 AM

It doesn't.

Reply #7 - November 21, 2015, 03:23 AM

You think so? I've heard from some people that it makes a man more confident. It's kind of weird for me because I never done it and I don't really seek it out.. I guess you could say some morals kinda got stuck with me.

Me being from a minority country, Guyana.. I've always wondered if the hot Pakistani or Indian girls that appeared religious and innocent at my University ever done it (or performed oral sex) and just hid it behind closed doors. I know the guys messed around and kept it secret. And of course I'd hear about the "not-so-religious" Muslim women who didn't cover making out with guys... But I always wondered if there was some repressive sex life going on with hijabis.. In America or UK that I don't know about.. Maybe something within the Pakistani, Indian, and Arab communities...

I just always been curious, not for perverted reasons, but because their behavior would be a bit off.

Reply #8 - November 21, 2015, 03:31 AM

The only thing that changed for me having sex was that I could no longer say I'd never had sex. That's it.

Reply #9 - November 21, 2015, 06:02 AM

Welcome.   parrot parrot
     Reply #10 - November 21, 2015, 08:30 AM

Hi and welcome  parrot
    It's great you joined us!

Do you remember what made you first think that Islam is wrong?
     Reply #11 - November 21, 2015, 05:08 PM

I would say the first experiences were when:

- My homosexual friend asked me if he could be gay and be a muslim.. He was reading the Qur'an for months before asking me this.. And I told him that being gay was a sin.. He never looked so depressed when I told him. He was one of the nicest people I've ever met.

- Someone told me, "Isn't it a common theme among all religions to threaten you with Hell if you leave them?"

Reply #12 - November 21, 2015, 07:14 PM

I think most religions actually don't threaten that. Judaism doesn't have a hell, I don't think hinduism has a word for apostate so I imagine not, buddhism doesn't, I don't think jainism does. None of the pagan religions as far as I know. Taoism I believe doesn't. Sikhism might, I'd have to look it up.

Anyone know of religions that threaten hell for not believing aside from christanity and islam, or is it only the religion of love and the religion of peace?

Reply #13 - November 21, 2015, 07:36 PM

The Western world is such a wonderful thing. We don't have to deal with the bullshit religions. Anyone heard of Sarah Haider or Farhan Qureshi? I love their arguments against Islam.

Reply #14 - November 21, 2015, 09:04 PM

Ohh, new people to look up.

Reply #15 - November 21, 2015, 09:40 PM

one of the best interviews I've seen from an ex-muslim
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65O2mAZ8CHQ

Reply #16 - November 22, 2015, 01:13 AM

Have you heard of Faith to Faithless? If not check these out.

So, you've left Islam?

The Process & The Mountain

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boN0AGQzI78

Preparing & Coming Out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9H9TRzVIn4Q

Moving (The F#@K) On

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IOvkVpEO-0

Ex Muslim Voices: Faith to Faithless

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgK-vq7Kcv4

Ex Muslims in Britain ft. Imtiaz Shams - BBC Radio & Faith to Faithless

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLI7Qu4hLUU

Taking off your Hijab

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11D6Xddz_j4

Reply #17 - November 22, 2015, 02:11 AM

wow that was really inspiring.

Reply #18 - November 22, 2015, 02:36 AM

Benefits of living in a country where you not only have the law on your side when it comes to the right to leave a religion, you also have the majority of people supporting you.

Reply #19 - November 22, 2015, 02:55 AM

Islam mentally retards a person.. I'm glad there are people out there who understand the situation. yes

Reply #20 - November 22, 2015, 08:22 PM

Hey, late "welcome." I think what you're doing is really great, and you're incredibly brave to have your face out there. Please stick around, we need people like you. yes
     Reply #21 - November 22, 2015, 08:50 PM

Welcome to the forum ExMuslimVlogGuy! Have a rabbit!  bunny

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #22 - November 23, 2015, 02:27 AM

Anyone know of religions that threaten hell for not believing aside from christanity and islam, or is it only the religion of love and the religion of peace?

Zoroastrianism. Buddhism has temporary hells. But none have the same ridiculous binary system of Christianity and Islam.

And cheers to the new guy  Afro

"I moreover believe that any religion that has anything in it that shocks the mind of a child, cannot be a true system."
    -Thomas Paine
     Reply #23 - December 01, 2015, 02:20 AM

Welcome. I love Chrono Trigger, it's one of my favorite JRPGs.

"Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well."
    - Robert Louis Stevenson
     Reply #24 - December 01, 2015, 02:24 AM

Thanks man.

Yeah Chrono Trigger was the first RPG I played when I was a kid. I'm a big RPG fan

Reply #25 - December 01, 2015, 10:03 AM

Ever play Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines? One of (if not the) best RPGs ever made. There are a few bugs so you'll have to download the patch, but I highly recommend you do.

Reply #26 - December 01, 2015, 04:38 PM

I don't really "play" them anymore. They're just really time consuming. But I will watch a "Let's Play" of it on youtube.. The story has to be gripping though.. My strict rule of thumb is "No story, no Bueno."

I'll check it out.

Reply #27 - December 02, 2015, 03:52 AM

Y´all are making me nostalgic for real RPG. The original pre-computer kind. I always ended up a nosferatu. Good times.

Don't let Hitler have the street.
     Reply #28 - December 02, 2015, 07:10 AM

The story has to be gripping though.. My strict rule of thumb is "No story, no Bueno."

You won't be disappointed. The let's play will be different depending on the clan, the options chosen and whether you're male or female.

Reply #29 - December 05, 2015, 07:51 PM

Speaking of RPGs...does anyone here have a Steam account?
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »