Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: ex-convert here

(Read 4431 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • ex-convert here
     OP - October 31, 2015, 09:01 AM

Hello All. I've been reading the fourm for a while and have finally gathered the courage to post. I signed up for an account a few months ago with the intention of posting then, but my husband somehow found out about my account. As I'm sure you all can imagine that didn't go well.

So about me: I'm originally from North America  but currently living overseas. There's not really much support for ex-muslims where I'm at so I've come to this forum.

I am a convert to Islam. I grew up in a strict Christian household and while I drifted away from that in my teens, I never learned to use critical thinking skills or question things when it came to religion. I think because of this I was a sitting duck for the dawah crowd and didn't need much to be convinced of Islam. I really believed Islam was true and was happy to change my dress, the way I ate, my friends, my lifestyle etc.

After some time wearing the hijab, I was deeply struggling with it and started trying to understand more fully the reasons behind it. Due to some Imams/Scholars clearly lying and inventing reasons (that would often contradict each other) about why the hijab was mandatory, I couldn't trust them anymore and started to investigate the issue myself. My early research focused on the hijab but I quickly branched out and the more I read the more horrified I became.  Long story short, I got to the point where I wasn't even sure the God of the Quran, the Bible or any other tradition existed. I'm still calling myself a Muslim at this point, but in reality I'm probably an atheist although I still feel a bit uncomfortable with that label.

I do have to pretend to be Muslim in front of others and I can't speak with anyone besides my husband about my beliefs (to an extent). My husband does know that I'm not really a Muslim anymore. When I told him, I thought it would be immediate divorce, but he basically said that he loves me for me and wants to be with me anyways. It's been a struggle for both of us, but even in the past year (we've been married for 3) I've seen how much he's letting Islam have less and less of a grip over him.  While I did get sarcastic comments and insults for a while, it's stopped in the past few months and he's been quite supportive and doesn't seem to care that much about religion either way. He recently said that he thinks all religions are leading to the same God so I'm not sure what he believes at this point. It's still a struggle for sure, but I'm hopeful that perhaps he will one day wake up and leave the religion as well.

I feel quite alone though because I do have to pretend to be Muslim most of the time and I feel I can't reach out and make connections with like minded people in my life. I also carry a  lot of shame at the fact I believed all of this and turned my life upside down for it. I'm so mad at myself for not being more careful. I feel like an absolute fool. I'm not sure if others have this issue, but this is something that has affected me quite deeply. I am really glad there is a community like this and I'd really be interested in connecting with other ex-Muslims.

Sorry for the length and thank you for reading!
  • ex-convert here
     Reply #1 - October 31, 2015, 11:00 AM

Welcome  parrot

If you're not comfortable with being an atheist, you can just be a spiritual person with no religious inclination.

Being an atheist seems to not be for everyone, I feel like believing in higher power gives hope and courage for people who need it.

I never feel like I need guidance or spirituality in my life, but my family are kind of religious and they like believing in God, so.... well whatever works for them.

Do whatever works for you Smiley
  • ex-convert here
     Reply #2 - October 31, 2015, 11:03 AM

Welcome Deeba   far away hug

Ex convert here too..  I left the religion a few years ago after my divorce but like you, looking back I am trying to understand why I decided to convert to Islam, I still have no answer why : )

I am glad to hear that your husband is a little understanding, my doubts about the religion led to many fights with my ex.  Is there any way that you can move back to your home country with your husband ?  would he be interested to move..  perhaps it would be easier for you to reach out to other like minded people like yourself, if you live in the west again.

All the best

x
  • ex-convert here
     Reply #3 - October 31, 2015, 11:31 AM

Welcome. I hope you are careful in covering your tracks while browsing this forum, you might want to go through this http://ex-muslim.org.uk/2010/05/covering-your-internet-tracks-leaflet /.

There are members who are/were in a similar situation and would suggest going through their posts, at the moment the member 'Lua' comes to mind who is quite active on this forum.

Your partner seem to be supportive in general and as you mentioned he seems to be indifferent to religion in recent times. It will take time and patience to change his mind and see things in a different light but I wish you all the best.

you will never be alone here and do not beat yourself up too much about the past, we can only learn from our mistakes. You should be proud of yourself that you have come to the realization that religion and especially Islam is a big pile of lies.

• ex-convert here
     Reply #4 - October 31, 2015, 08:30 PM

Thanks everyone. I still live in the west just not North America. There are, however, some extremists here that could hurt me or more likely hurt my husband if they were to find out. Our local mosque has been featured on the news for producing extremists and has been visited by the police. Even if nothing happened to us the social cost is still huge and my husband would be shunned by his community.

Thanks again and I'm really glad I found this community  Smiley
  • ex-convert here
     Reply #5 - October 31, 2015, 09:39 PM

parrot

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
  • ex-convert here
     Reply #6 - November 02, 2015, 10:11 AM

Hi Welcome  parrot

• ex-convert here
     Reply #7 - November 02, 2015, 06:50 PM

parrot Welcome!

Don't let Hitler have the street.
  • ex-convert here
     Reply #8 - November 02, 2015, 10:36 PM

Welcome!  parrot We're in the same boat on a lot of things, even the number of years we've been married.  Cheesy

I also had a hard time with the label "atheist" at first, because of the baggage associated with it when I was growing up ("atheists are immoral" sort of thing--ironic, because my parents were about the bottom of the barrel when it comes to morality). Anywho, I sense that I'm doing the thing where I try to make any conversation about me, it gets easier is what I was getting at. The more you meet other like-minded people and realize we're pretty decent folk, or at least try to be (cuz let's face it, we're all going to screw up sometimes, no matter how hard we try), the easier it gets to stop feeling you need to have a religion.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for I have a sonic screwdriver, a tricorder, and a Type 2 phaser.
  • ex-convert here
     Reply #9 - November 03, 2015, 12:12 AM

Welcome Deeba  Smiley
  • ex-convert here
     Reply #10 - November 03, 2015, 12:56 PM

Welcome
    I sincerely hope you find your place,
    It seems your experience has been challenging and I'm sure many of the members of this forum will provide you with some comfort and empathy.

Raise your words, not voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder
  • ex-convert here
     Reply #11 - November 07, 2015, 11:57 AM

Hey,

Sorry to see you've been having a hard time, I do hope things get better for you, I just had a question for you, why do you find it hard to connect with like minded people? I only ask, as I used to wear the hijab, even then I was able to make friends with like minded people, not just those who weren't religious anymore, but with other things that we had in common.

It must be nice to not have to hide it from your husband, it's so nice to have that freedom, you should focus on that, because he is the one who is important in your life. Having to hide from the people you love is very difficult, so keep those who accept you for who you are and forget about the rest, look for like minded people in other areas of your life and enjoy that, try not to let the negativity of having to pretend (as hard as it is) to get you down.

Wish you all the best.
  • ex-convert here
     Reply #12 - November 14, 2015, 01:49 AM

Salute to all ex converts!

Most converts i met knew very little about Moe n his false message.

Muslims, alas, will keep lying and deceiving to beautify islam n hide its ugly chapters.

"I'm Agnostic about God."

Richard Dawkins
    ==
    "If there is a God, it has to be a man; no woman could or would ever fuck things up like this."
     George Carlin == "...The so-called moderates are actually the public relations arm of Al-Qaeda and the Islamic Republic of Iran."  Maryam Namazie
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »