Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 05:47 AM

New Britain
April 16, 2024, 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Root Causes of Extremism

(Read 2276 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Root Causes of Extremism
     OP - October 08, 2015, 09:14 AM

Root causes of extremism, and how to combat it.

Not necessarily Muslim extremism, or even religious extremism, just extremism on the whole. What do you think causes it, and how do you think those causes can be avoided/alleviated?

My two cents on the topic (copy/pasted from my own blog, originally published Jan. 18, 2015):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crpUHa9_pJ0

"It's easy to be a saint in Paradise." -- Captain Benjamin Sisko

Every time there is a religiously-motivated attack, like the recent Charlie Hebdo attacks, there are immediately anti-religious people who condemn the violence, but many times they end up approaching it from a view of either cultural or quasi-racial superiority. This view is wrong, but it is hard to articulate why it is wrong in something like a twitter post. Many of the people who recognize it as wrong struggle to elucidate the reasons why it is wrong. From my rather unique perspective as a Western born and raised convert to Islam, I would like to explain why it is wrong and offer an alternative way of approaching giving criticism.

Like most moral issues, the answer can be found in Star Trek. The criticism that "Western culture" provides superior morality is simply untrue. "Western culture" is not a single, homogeneous unit that exists in a particular area. Instead, what is meant by this is either Christian culture or Enlightenment culture. Christianity is demonstrably not any less violent than any other religion, including Islam. Growing up in the West is no guarantee that an individual will be enlightened, and growing up in the East is no guarantee that an individual will not hold enlightened views. Western individuals can be radicalized and made to commit egregious crimes without turning to Islam, as in the Charles Manson Family. The Nazis were undeniably from the West, but that does not make their values any more similar to what most people would want to say are "Western values."

Instead, the difference between violent and non-violent people is a matter of psycho-social well-being and exposure to violence and psychopathy. More accurately, it is a mixture of psychological, social, and economic factors. Most people living in the West have grown up without significant trauma being inflicted on them throughout their lives. They have grown up in relative prosperity, relative safety, and a relative underexposure to violence. As Benjamin Sisko explains, this creates an artificial view of the universe in which people are sheltered and do not understand why others turn to violence. If you take away these advantages, any individual from anywhere in the world becomes equally likely to turn to violence.

Individuals who have grown up in affluent or middle class American, British, Canadian, etc. homes have likely not been exposed to much violence or gore. They are not likely to have seen their parents or friends violently killed or maimed. They are not likely to have been in the situation of needing to fight for their basic needs or safety. They are not likely to have witnessed a bomb go off a few feet from them.

The people living in the West who have witnessed this kind of violence, for example those in Central America and the American inner city, are just as likely to become violent as people in Middle Eastern or South Asian countries. The barbarity that occurs in some parts of Mexico could easily rival anything happening in Syria. In some American urban jungles, the life expectancy for black men is lower than any group's life expectancy anywhere else in the world. People in these areas turn to lives of violence and crime at a rate at least equal to those in the Middle East. So the problem is not with race; it is with environment.

If you do not believe this, I challenge you to have a child and give them to a family living in one of these violent environments. Do you really believe that your child is genetically superior and will not commit violence, no matter how much violence they are exposed to? (Don't actually do this, obviously. If you are not the sort of person who can predict the outcome, you are probably not nearly as moral as you believe you are.) Another quote from Star Trek DS9. O'Brien: "When we were growing up, they used to tell us humanity had evolved, that mankind had outgrown hate and rage. But when it came down to it, when I had the chance to show that no matter what anyone did to me, I was still an evolved human being, I failed. I repaid kindness with blood. I was no better than an animal."

You are not a morally or biologically superior individual. If you were placed in a situation of sufficient violence and barbarity, with the right combination of psychological factors, social factors, or economic factors, you would turn to violence as well. By remembering this and approaching others with a sense of commonality instead of superiority, we can move everyone on past violence. Eradicating crime and violence will not be easy, but understanding and compassion provide better results than condemnation. Providing large-scale psychological support may not be feasible, and providing only military solutions is ineffective, but it is possible on a small scale to change the way people think and offer them alternatives to violence.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for I have a sonic screwdriver, a tricorder, and a Type 2 phaser.
     Reply #1 - October 08, 2015, 08:27 PM

Interesting thoughts gal_from_usa. I tend to agree with you. However, I do also think there is a genetic predisposition towards violence. For example, you'll much less often see women, even from the more violent and harmful environments, commit acts of terrorism or other such extreme forms of violence. And its not only a socioeconomic issue. The plague of school shootings in the USA can be in affluent settings, with relatively well to do perpetrators. There are just a lot of factors that lead to violence. We're only ever going to be able to contain this part of human nature, never "move beyond" in any real sense, at least imo.

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #2 - October 08, 2015, 09:25 PM

Environment may play a role, but genetics are almost certainly a factor as well. Monoamine oxidase A R2, colloquially known as the "Extreme Warrior Gene", found in 5.5% of Black men, 0.1% of Caucasian men, and 0.00067% of Asian men, has been shown to have a strong correlation with violent, anti-social behavior.

https://scientiasalon.wordpress.com/2014/07/31/the-extreme-warrior-gene-a-reality-check/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monoamine_oxidase_A
     Reply #3 - October 08, 2015, 11:04 PM

The original poster gets lots of thumbs-up for citing DS9. Here's one more quote:
    Let me tell you something about Hew-mons, Nephew. They're a wonderful, friendly people, as long as their bellies are full and their holosuites are working. But take away their creature comforts, deprive them of food, sleep, sonic showers, put their lives in jeopardy over an extended period of time and those same friendly, intelligent, wonderful people... will become as nasty and as violent as the most bloodthirsty Klingon. You don't believe me? Look at those faces. Look in their eyes.

I would add that one cause of "extremism" is our old friend, the Daddy Issue. If dad was an abusive asshole, an abusive asshole was one of your top two role models in life. (Not you, gal_from_usa - this is the plural and generic you.) If he bugged out right after you were born, and you find yourself growing up next to other assholes - those chumps stand a chance of taking his place.

It's worse for men: because dad's a fellow male in the former instance, and the wolfpack are males in the second.
     Reply #4 - October 08, 2015, 11:44 PM

Behavorial geneticists would say that unless you control for genes, ie by only looking at adopted twins raised apart, then you cannot be certain that the correlation is caused by the nurture rather than the nature. The adoption studies that have been done show 0% correlation between adoptive parents and their kids. Here's Steve Pinker on that subject:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ekI31kzb6iU
     Reply #5 - October 09, 2015, 12:03 AM

Interesting thoughts gal_from_usa. I tend to agree with you. However, I do also think there is a genetic predisposition towards violence. For example, you'll much less often see women, even from the more violent and harmful environments, commit acts of terrorism or other such extreme forms of violence. And its not only a socioeconomic issue. The plague of school shootings in the USA can be in affluent settings, with relatively well to do perpetrators. There are just a lot of factors that lead to violence. We're only ever going to be able to contain this part of human nature, never "move beyond" in any real sense, at least imo.

I'm aware of that issue and I'd written about it already in its own 1500-2000 word post. Tongue So here's that one:

In discussions of what the basis of morality is or should be, I often hear that a good basis for morality is inborn empathy. While this may be a helpful starting point for the majority of the population, some of the population--according to the best estimates of researchers, approximately 1%--do not experience empathy. Empathy, like every other part of the human experience, is caused by the over-abundance or deficiency of neurochemicals or portions of the brain. Although the exact combination of factors causing psychopathy is unknown, the effects are well known: these include the inability of the individual to feel empathy and an impairment in the feeling of remorse.

It is not simply that the psychopath ignores their natural feelings of empathy while they harm their fellow man. They do not experience the sensation of empathy. That chemical/physical process is missing within their brain. So encouraging them to use their empathy to determine a moral course of action is not helpful; a more objective, universal definition should be sought.

I am not saying that the non-religious psychopath is more likely to commit violent crimes than the psychopath who believes in supernatural punishments or rewards. This is not borne out by the data. Supernatural beliefs seem to be incidental, like video game consumption, rather than causal. The single best predictive criteria for violent crime among male psychopaths seems to be having been abused during childhood.

I believe the problem with defining morality for the psychopath lies in the inability of the non-psychopath to understand the experience, the qualia, of the psychopath. Whereas the violent crimes of the non-psychopath are typically crimes of passion, a reaction to a perceived slight or injustice, the violent crimes of the psychopath are deliberate, often meticulously planned. This gives the non-psychopath the impression that the crimes are "senseless," as they are not readily apparent responses to the situation. While a non-psychopath can readily understand the reasoning of a woman who kills her husband after finding him in bed with her sister, for example, they cannot understand the seemingly random murder of prostitutes all over a city with no apparent motive.

In actual fact, the average crimes of the psychopath are not senseless or random. They follow a logical pattern, although this pattern may not make sense to the non-psychopath. The motives are diverse, but include a desire for fame, power, money, sex, or even a dopamine or adrenaline rush. However, the average psychopath is a master of emotional manipulation (this is the lone evolutionary advantage of the condition), and has noticed that people are more lenient towards crimes of passion. This may lead the psychopath to concoct a motive, such as earlier trauma, which confuses whether the trauma is real or invented.

There is also a common misapprehension that most or all psychopaths are violent or killers. This is not true. The average psychopath is successful in business, using their skills of manipulation to oust others from their positions of power and insert themselves in their stead. They are perceived by approximately half of their friends, family, coworkers, and acquaintances as charismatic, energetic, intelligent, caring and charming, while to the other half, they will seem power hungry, manipulative, deceptive, opportunistic, and arrogant. This paradox of personality traits will allow the psychopath to get ahead in societies that value ingenuity and people skills over intelligence, hard work, self-sacrifice, or empathy.

Because the average psychopath is successful and powerful, it can be hard to determine how to effectively reach them with the message that their behaviors are detrimental, and to encourage them to incorporate a better moral code into their thought process. Cognitive behavioral therapies have consistently proven ineffective; instead of encouraging improved behavior, they encourage improved deception about internal change. This makes effectiveness of treatment difficult to gauge.

However, I believe a solution can be found through comparing the female psychopath to the male psychopath. Female psychopathy is grossly misunderstood, under-studied, and misdiagnosed. I believe the reason for this is simple: female psychopaths retain an older mammalian predisposition for nurture and defense of others, while males of the species do not have or need this trait.

My hypothesis is simple: since the advent of mammalian evolution, females of the species have needed to nurture, defend, and feed their young. Males of most mammalian species do not need this trait; but a female mammal that does not, at minimum, care for her young until they are weaned, will not have offspring that survive to adulthood, effectively ending her genetic viability. Thus, the instinct would have developed quickly and spread rapidly.

However, most mammal species do not live in complex social groups of unrelated individuals once they are fully grown. Thus, they do not need instincts governing social interactions, including empathy. In some species, empathy is even a negative trait. A tiger who feels too much empathy will not eat. Our living in large groups, and needing the proper emotions to regulate living in those groups, occurs much later than our being mammals. Thus, the instinct of a female mammal to suckle and protect her young would likely evolve separately from an instinct to feel empathy.

Although these two processes have a similar function (encouraging nurturing and caring interactions), there is no intuitive reason for them to be biologically or physically identical if they evolved millions of years apart. Therefore, it would make sense that one could malfunction or be absent in the individual without causing the other to malfunction. This would lead to female psychopaths retaining the older nurturing instinct, making them appear to have empathy, while what they are actually feeling is biologically, chemically, and physically distinct, while those women who are violent--especially towards their own children--are not, for the most part, psychopaths; they would be expected to be suffering from some other disease.

This does seem to be borne out by the data. Female psychopaths are rarely violent. Women who are violent, especially towards their children, suffer from other disorders, perhaps most commonly post-partum depression. A paper published several years ago on the psychoneuroimmunology of post-partum depression pointed out that a "biological mechanism that has received little attention to date is the bidirectional innate immune system-HPA [hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal] axis association." (The Psychoneuroimmunology of Post-Partum Depression, Elizabeth J. Corwin and Kathleen Pajer. Journal of Women's Health. November 2008, 17(9): 1529-1534. doi:10.1089/jwh.2007.0725.) Or, in layman's terms, post-partum depression, which leads to the murder of approximately 200 children per year in America alone by their own mothers, is probably due to the immune response's recognition of a foreign object (i.e., the fetus), and its interplay with the brain's hormone-regulation chemicals.

How does this relate to the search for an effective treatment of male psychopathy? Because the brain of the female psychopath is so different, the interaction of her nurturing instinct and her desire to manipulate others for personal gain forms a distinct moral code. This leads to a system where the woman does manipulate others, but often not in a way that causes them direct, visible harm; the harm is more internalized, where they blame themselves for her actions and her self-injurious behaviors. The female psychopath will rarely make it easy for others identify her as the source of the problem; but the damage she does is much less severe.

Additionally, and crucially, the female psychopath is not always the beneficiary of her manipulation. Because she retains the instinct to nurture and defend, she may create situations where she is seen as the victim, not for her own benefit, but for the benefit of others. For example, there was a bowling league, where a young female psychopath felt a deep sense of kinship and tribalism for her other league members. An individual on a competing team slighted an individual on her team. She set up a situation where she enacted revenge on the individual who slighted her friend, and then allowed herself to be punched in the face, seeing that the adults who could not hear what was happening had noticed a brewing situation and that if she was punched, the person who had slighted her friend would be ejected from the league.

This situation provided no perceivable benefit for the psychopath; she got a black eye, while the slight against her friend was comparatively insignificant. However, it did have personal meaning to her, as she valued her tribal identity over temporary pain. Again, the motives of the psychopath may not make much sense to the non-psychopath, but they have deep significance to the psychopath. The female psychopath may be inclined to fight for a cause, even become a martyr for the cause; although this has no perceivable benefit to her herself, it does have a far-reaching benefit, which she cares about.

Another example of this may be controversial figure Anita Sarkeesian. Although many perceive her as a fraud, because she systematically extorts money from the gullible while failing to deliver on her promises, endorses known con-artists and barely legal multi-level marketing schemes, and has formed a career based on professional victimhood, to many, she is a hero. While it is true that she complains about the trope of "damsels in distress", while simultaneously portraying herself as receiving "credible" threats while failing to provide evidence for them and acquiring monetary and social gain for her cancelling of events based on these apparently non-existent threats, she is clearly performing her actions with intention and purpose. She has effectively convinced much of her audience that she is a heroine figure, while she does the things she complains are misogynist tropes. She has set herself up as a moral crusader, although her cause is dubious at best.

So a decent moral principle that the female psychopath can readily internalize is to do the most good and the least harm for the most people. Although they may confuse personal gain and prestige with doing the most good, it is fairly simple to redirect their ambitions towards helping others, because of their innate desire to nurture. This is why many female psychopaths get degrees in mental health and social sciences (shown by the high number of women in the industry having high scores on psychopathy checklists): their desire to learn about and manipulate human emotions has been subverted to encourage them to provide emotional support for others.

If this principle can be extended to male psychopaths, perhaps by encouraging them to follow a more sociologically logical path, seeking the betterment of the species as opposed to personal gain, we may at last be able to effectively treat male psychopathy. Therefore, I encourage the use of "do the most good and least harm for the most people" as a basis for objective morality instead of an attempt to teach empathy, at least for the psychopathic population.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for I have a sonic screwdriver, a tricorder, and a Type 2 phaser.
     Reply #6 - October 09, 2015, 06:37 AM

Very thoughtful post gal_from_usa. I'm marking it for later reading.  Smiley

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #7 - October 09, 2015, 08:24 AM

The single best predictive criteria for violent crime among male psychopaths seems to be having been abused during childhood.

But is this because they have suffered from a traumatic experience that has altered their personality? Or is it simply because they share genes with their parents for inflicting violent abuse?

Judging by what the adoption studies show: that the behavior of adopted children tends to correlate 0% with their adoptive parents, but about 60-80% with their biological parents, it seems pretty clear that parenting itself has zero impact on a child's development and that those correlations we see between parents and their children are mostly related to genes and not upbringing.

There is a very interesting documentary series from Norway called Hjernevask (Brainwash) that deals with the nature / nurture debate and tackles some of the commonly held beliefs in the social sciences with what experts have to say in other fields such as evolutionary psychology. I would definitely recommend it as a good introduction to anyone interested in the subject but has not yet done much background reading. They interview people like Richard Nisbett, Steven Pinker, Robert Plomin, etc. The episode on parenting is awesome, perhaps of more specific relevance to this discussion is the episode on violence, though I did not find that episode nearly as convincing. Here are both:

On parenting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41ryusHlrgw

On violence:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2pRbPydPjA

Even though the data clearly seems to indicate that people are born the way they are, and the environment appears to have little impact. I am still fairly confident that we can make positive impacts on people through some kinds of well thought out cultural intervention. I.e. just because some people may have an innate propensity towards violence, there may be ways that we can channel that aggression into less harmful behavior. For example sports, military service, etc. And I do still think that religious indoctrination can have a very toxic affect on people and we should still continue to challenge that. I suppose the only way we can continue to have hope for a better world is to believe that we can make a difference. But the more we know about human nature, the more likely we can be successful in trying to limit the more negative parts of it.

Reply #8 - October 09, 2015, 10:12 AM

I'm not sure I buy the idea that parenting has no effect on behaviour. There have been a lot of studies showing the harmful effect of parental neglect/abuse on child devlopment and behaviour. Furthermore parenting certainly has a strong effect on people's religion (which in turn can affect behviour strongly). Perhaps you are talking about personality/disposition rather than behaviour though. That I would find more plausible.
     Reply #9 - October 09, 2015, 10:26 AM

Personal disposition is also influenced by parents/society surely. While the nature vs nurture debate is interesting I find it idiotic to say one doesn't affect the other.

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #10 - October 09, 2015, 12:19 PM

edit: never mind
     Reply #11 - October 09, 2015, 04:01 PM

You are all making good points and I am willing to concede that what the Behavioral Geneticists are saying certainly runs in contradiction to conventional wisdom. In fact prior to looking into this issue, about a year ago, I myself was reading parenting books such as "Raising Lifelong Learners" and thinking these books were great, even though they didn't actually provide any evidence to support what they said, I simply believed it must be true because I wanted it to be true so much. I want to be able to mold my children to love learning. Having now read what behavioral geneticists say: that you can fill your home with books and read your children bedtime stories every evening, but it will not have any impact on their learning ability or their desire to learn. I still find it hard to believe, even though that is what the evidence shows, and I am still going to try very hard to raise them to love learning. But I am now much more skeptical whether anything I do will have any impact.

I'm not sure I buy the idea that parenting has no effect on behaviour. There have been a lot of studies showing the harmful effect of parental neglect/abuse on child devlopment and behaviour.

Can you provide some references?

Furthermore parenting certainly has a strong effect on people's religion (which in turn can affect behviour strongly). Perhaps you are talking about personality/disposition rather than behaviour though. That I would find more plausible.

I think you must be right. I think culture must play some role. Perhaps someone with an innate love of learning and understanding the world, growing up in Afghanistan will become a well read Islamic Scholar, you take the same person and stick them in the West and they might become a great scientist. Similarly a person with an innate attraction to violence in the West might join a street gang but in the Mid East might become an Islamist rebel.

Reply #12 - October 09, 2015, 06:19 PM

I think you must be right. I think culture must play some role. Perhaps someone with an innate love of learning and understanding the world, growing up in Afghanistan will become a well read Islamic Scholar, you take the same person and stick them in the West and they might become a great scientist. Similarly a person with an innate attraction to violence in the West might join a street gang but in the Mid East might become an Islamist rebel.

Or a guy growing up in a village in India can be a poet of many languages and a scholar, or another guy in a similar setting can become a leader and organizer of people. And you don't see evidence of such capabilities in their ancestry so yeah.

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #13 - October 09, 2015, 07:56 PM

Judging by what the adoption studies show: that the behavior of adopted children tends to correlate 0% with their adoptive parents, but about 60-80% with their biological parents, it seems pretty clear that parenting itself has zero impact on a child's development and that those correlations we see between parents and their children are mostly related to genes and not upbringing.

Source? here's a recent study (2013) that suggests what I said, that childhood experiences effect your chances of psychopathology later in life:

http://ac.els-cdn.com/S1878929313000650/1-s2.0-S1878929313000650-main.pdf?_tid=ab29871e-6ebc-11e5-a97b-00000aab0f01&acdnat=1444419411_ee22f6d636f9b8056ed9db9b5c591202

Here's another from 2001:

http://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/doi/10.1176/appi.ajp.158.11.1878

Here's one from 2012 that describes the structural changes to the brain resulting from early abuse:
    http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?pid=S1516-44462012000400016&script=sci_arttext&tlng=es

In psychological sciences in general, it's very important to look at the latest data; when I was in uni, we generally weren't allowed to use any papers older than 5 years. Freud lived just three or four generations ago (died in 1939) and the field has exponentially grown and improved since then.

Reply #14 - October 12, 2015, 02:42 PM

Source?

To start off, watch the Norwegian documentary I posted for an intro to the topic. They interview Robert Plomin, who worked on the Colorado Adoption Study, he summarizes the findings from that study in the video, if I remember correctly he says that the adopted kids correlated about 60% with their biological parents but 0% with their adopted parents. He now heads up the Twins Early Development Study (TEDS) at King College London, which have recently started monitoring about 13,000 British twins, so it will be interesting to see the results of that study in the future.

They also interview Judith Rich Harris, the author of the “Nurture Assumption”.

Other good introductory sources would be Steven Pinker’s book “The Blank Slate”.

This is a Meta-analysis that summarizes 50 years of twin studies which includes studies on more than 14 million twins:
    Meta-analysis of the heritability of human traits based on fifty years of twin studies.

Bouchard - Genetic and Environmental Influences on Human Psychological Differences - also stresses the importance of genes over the shared environment:
    http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/neu.10160/pdf

From Bouchard's conclusion:
    A number of reviews of earlier studies, many using small samples, and contemporary large-sample studies suggest that genetic influence on personality trait variation is in the 40–55% range. There is a strong consensus that common (shared) family influence on personality traits is very close to zero.

This is a Finnish twin study on the heritability of income showing that income is significantly genetically heritable and the influence of the shared environment is negligible:
    https://helda.helsinki.fi/bitstream/handle/10138/38881/HECER_DP364.pdf
     Reply #15 - October 12, 2015, 07:01 PM

You are not a morally or biologically superior individual. If you were placed in a situation of sufficient violence and barbarity, with the right combination of psychological factors, social factors, or economic factors, you would turn to violence as well. By remembering this and approaching others with a sense of commonality instead of superiority, we can move everyone on past violence. Eradicating crime and violence will not be easy, but understanding and compassion provide better results than condemnation. Providing large-scale psychological support may not be feasible, and providing only military solutions is ineffective, but it is possible on a small scale to change the way people think and offer them alternatives to violence.

Your post was very pertinent  Afro.
     From a different perspective, I think that we are all extremist to some point. Telling that a religious person is extremist can lead to confusion because it just mean that he follows his religion correctly. Extremism is the result of nature.

Let me give you some examples:
    - Some people can be so generous that they risk to be abused
    - Others run so much  that they risk a heart attack
    - Some can read so much that their ocular faculties risk to be weakened
    - Some are so confident that they become arrogant
    - Being atheist is relying on evidence and science... it's extremism too    dance

Therfore, Extremism is on all fields of our lives, it's the expression of our genes.
    It defines some features of our identity ,and the differences as human beings.

On the other hand, psycho-social effects and exposure should not be neglected.

And of course, some people are not biologically superior but different. Natural selection explains very well how people tend to be religious.

Let me quote Richard Dawkins from The god Delusion:
    The equivalent of the moth's light-compass reaction is the apparently irrational but useful habit of falling in love with one, and only one, member of the opposite sex. The misfiring byproduct - equivalent to flying into the candle flame - is falling in love with Yahweh (or with the Virgin Mary, or with a wafer, or with Allah) and performing irrational acts motivated by such love.

''Be thankful that you have a life, and foresake your vain and presumptuous desire for a second one'' Richard Dawkins
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »