Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Lights on the way
by akay
Today at 04:40 PM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Today at 02:45 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Today at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Hello Everyone, I used to lurk and now decided to post

(Read 4473 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Hello Everyone, I used to lurk and now decided to post
     OP - October 07, 2015, 01:35 AM

Let me start off by saying I'm not muslim, I'm actually a practicing hindu. While studying for my masters and doing research for my papers, I used to scroll the back alleys of the internet to find information for my research. that is how I chanced to find this forum. It helped me a lot on how to direct my questions for the research. If anyone is interested, I did my research on how ethnic parties form along specific markers of identity, how they can be manipulated, and how those markers are used in global politics. Kind of like look into how nationalism, ethnic parties, etc. come into being and how they have an impact on the societies they are a part of.

I lurked because, well, you have interesting discussions. So I decided to say hi, and thank you because you helped me get through grad school. And that's a big feat, because I was very much the Indian Elle Woods (form legally blonde for those not in the know). In fact I would have made her cringe too so it was no easy task helping me get through grad school.
     Reply #1 - October 07, 2015, 01:52 AM

Welcome, LadyDanger. Here's a wabbit - bunny

When Islamic origins get solved, some of us might migrate over to a Hindi forum. There's a book here on Vedic origins that looks interesting -
    https://books.google.com/books?id=DagXCgAAQBAJ
     Reply #2 - October 07, 2015, 02:12 AM

Welcome. parrot

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #3 - October 07, 2015, 02:23 AM

Welcome, LadyDanger. Here's a wabbit - bunny

When Islamic origins get solved, some of us might migrate over to a Hindi forum. There's a book here on Vedic origins that looks interesting -

Don't get me started on history, one of the many big loves of my life. I had actually wanted to study archeology but unfortunately my family was like "if you want to do something radical study economics."

If you want to read an amazing book on how communities form, read benedict anderson's imagined communities. It changed how i see everything.
     Reply #4 - October 07, 2015, 02:23 AM

Welcome. parrot

parrot to you too
     Reply #5 - October 07, 2015, 03:17 AM

parrot

Welcome Smiley I'd love to have your input on my numerous posts about the sociological history of religion. It's a topic I'm fascinated by right now (when I get a new passion for something it usually sticks around for a few years, longer if I'm able to actually do something with it).

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for I have a sonic screwdriver, a tricorder, and a Type 2 phaser.
     Reply #6 - October 07, 2015, 03:36 AM

Welcome to the forum LadyDanger, have a rabbit!  bunny

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #7 - October 07, 2015, 08:01 AM

Welcome - your self description as the Indian Elle Woods made me chuckle - I saw a musical version of Legally Blond recently and now I'm imagining Legally Blonde bollywood style! Glad you got through grad school and welcome.  bunny bunny bunny
     Reply #8 - October 07, 2015, 08:42 AM

Is there a particular school/sect of hinduism you identify with? Are you āstika or nāstika?

`Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     Reply #9 - October 07, 2015, 11:41 AM

Hi LadyDanger Smiley

Welcome to the CEMB-forum parrot

Is there a particular school/sect of hinduism you identify with? Are you āstika or nāstika?

Or Charvaka? bunny

Good to have you here Smiley

The topic you described fascinates me as well. Especially with how it is used to manipulate people and the resulting mayhem when the "out-group" is demonised and their lives have no or even negative value.

Danish Never-Moose adopted by the kind people on the CEMB-forum
    Ex-Muslim chat (Unaffliated with CEMB). Safari users: Use "#ex-muslims" as the channel name. CEMB chat thread.
     Reply #10 - October 07, 2015, 12:27 PM

Welcome parrot

If you want to read an amazing book on how communities form, read benedict anderson's imagined communities. It changed how i see everything.

I'd second that recommendation. It's online here: http://sisphd.wikispaces.com/file/view/Benedict_Anderson_Imagined_Communities.pdf
     Reply #11 - October 07, 2015, 01:13 PM

Charvaka is covered by nāstika surely?

• Re: Hello Everyone, I used to lurk and now decided to post
     Reply #12 - October 07, 2015, 02:21 PM

Welcome parrot

I'd second that recommendation. It's online here: http://sisphd.wikispaces.com/file/view/Benedict_Anderson_Imagined_Communities.pdf

Great stuff. Thanks for posting the link.

Nor that, on the whole, racism and [150] anti-semitism manifest themselves, not across
    national boundaries, but within them. In other words, they justify not so much foreign wars as
    domestic repression and domination.19
    Where racism developed outside Europe in the nineteenth century, it was always associated
    with European domination, for two converging reasons. First and most important was the rise
    of official nationalism and colonial 'Russification'. As has been repeatedly emphasized
    official nationalism was typically a response on the part of threatened dynastic and
    aristocratic groups - upper classes - to popular vernacular nationalism. Colonial racism was a
    major element in that conception of 'Empire' which attempted to weld dynastic legitimacy
    and national community. It did so by generalizing a principle of innate, inherited superiority
    on which its own domestic position was (however shakily) based to the vastness of the
    overseas possessions, covertly (or not so covertly) conveying the idea that if, say, English
    lords were naturally superior to other Englishmen, no matter: these other Englishmen were no
    less superior to the subjected natives. Indeed one is tempted to argue that the existence of late
    colonial empires even served to shore up domestic aristocratic bastions, since they appeared
    to confirm on a global, modern stage antique conceptions of power and privilege.

Golden  Afro
     Reply #13 - December 15, 2015, 08:40 PM

An obituary, sadly, for Benedict Anderson: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/15/world/asia/benedict-anderson-scholar-who-saw-nations-as-imagined-dies-at-79.html?_r=0
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »