Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Today at 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Islam in a subsaharan Country

(Read 5545 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Islam in a subsaharan Country
     OP - October 06, 2015, 07:03 PM

Hello everyone, this is my first post in this forum whistling2.
    I'am actually in hollidays in my native country Senegal ( West Africa) parrot

If you ask why most of people are muslims here, they all have the same answer:

''To fight against french colonisation, people turned to religious authorithy establiblished by soufi brotherhood . ''

Today, 94 percent of the population are muslims.
     But here in Senegal, this religion is special because muslim communities are rallied in 2 main Suffi orders : the Tijaniyyah, the Muridiyyah or Mourides.
    Something that you can't find in others countries. 
    Muslims here mix Animism, Religion and culture in the same bag. 
    According to the Coran, they are worst than kuffars because they associate.
    Most of people here  wear a talisman to avoid jiinns and to avoid bad luck.  Roll Eyes

When you are an apostate in a muslim country like Senegal , it's kinda akward.
    For me, a Senegalese muslim is not an authentic muslim.
    And The fact that people here are so intolerant when they see that you are not enslaved by this religion
    bafles me because they are very mediocre in the practice of their own religion.

First of all to pretend to be a muslim you have to know to read (57 % of the population are illeterate)
    They only memorise the book (Coran) pretending to understand what is islam.
    Even among people who read, a lot of them are so lazy or coward ,they just pick and choose.

Unfortunately ,  the real reason why they are ''muslims'' is that their ancestors had no choice , become a slave or embrace islam.
    Even if they embrace islam they were not necessarely spared:

• 20 million people were enslaved by Arab Muslims slave traders
    • They were delivered through the trans-Sahara route alone to the Islamic world.
    • Dr. John Alembellah Azumah in his 2001 book, The Legacy of Arab-Islam in Africa estimates that over 80 million Black people more died en route.
    • The Arab Muslim slave trade typically dealt in the sale of castrated male slaves
    • Enslavers Targeted Women For Rape

According to my sources, the facts above proove that our ancestors did not have choice to convert in islam. And today what a shame that Africans (the muslims one) denie this painful part of our history.

Unfortunately as Lazarus Long said,  ''A generation which ignores history has no past: and no future. '' ( from the works of Robert Heinlein).

Have a nice day  dance
    PS: English is not my native language, so don't be so harsh on me  Smiley

''Be thankful that you have a life, and foresake your vain and presumptuous desire for a second one'' Richard Dawkins
     Reply #1 - October 06, 2015, 07:51 PM

Welcome to the forum ousseynou92, have a rabbit!  bunny

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #2 - October 06, 2015, 08:27 PM

Welcome ousseynou92  parrot

You posted in the wrong threat so that might be a reason why fewer people welcome you  Wink

Oh Senegal has a lot of great football players I like Mousa Sow  Smiley
     Reply #3 - October 06, 2015, 09:27 PM

HAhaha, thank you i'm going to fix it  Wink

''Be thankful that you have a life, and foresake your vain and presumptuous desire for a second one'' Richard Dawkins
     Reply #4 - October 06, 2015, 09:29 PM

Hello everyone, this is my first post in this forum whistling2.
    I'am actually in hollidays in my native country Senegal ( West Africa) parrot

If you ask why most of people are muslims here, they all have the same answer:

''To fight against french colonisation, people turned to religious authorithy establiblished by soufi brotherhood . ''

But here in Senegal, this religion is special because muslim communities are rallied in 2 main Suffi orders : the Tijaniyyah, the Muridiyyah or Mourides.
    Most of people here  wear a talisman to avoid jiinns and to avoid bad luck.  Roll Eyes

When you are an apostate in a muslim country like Senegal , it's kinda akward.
    For me, a Senegalese muslim is not an authentic muslim.
    And The fact that people here are so intolerant when they see that you are not enslaved by this religion
    bafles me because they are very mediocre in the practice of their own religion.

First of all to pretend to be a muslim you have to know to read (57 % of the population are illeterate)
    They only memorise the book (Coran) pretending to understand what is islam.
    Even among people who read, a lot of them are so lazy or coward ,they just pick and choose.

Unfortunately ,  the real reason why they are ''muslims'' is that their ancestors had no choice , become a slave or embrace islam.
    Even if they embrace islam they were not necessarely spared:

• 20 million people were enslaved by Arab Muslims slave traders
    • They were delivered through the trans-Sahara route alone to the Islamic world.
    • Dr. John Alembellah Azumah in his 2001 book, The Legacy of Arab-Islam in Africa estimates that over 80 million Black people more died en route.
    • The Arab Muslim slave trade typically dealt in the sale of castrated male slaves
    • Enslavers Targeted Women For Rape

According to my sources, the facts above proove that our ancestors did not have choice to convert in islam. And today what a shame that Africans (the muslims one) denie this painful part of our history.

Unfortunately as Lazarus Long said,  ''A generation which ignores history has no past: and no future. '' ( from the works of Robert Heinlein).

Have a nice day  dance
    PS: English is not my native language, so don't be so harsh on me  Smiley

Reply #5 - October 06, 2015, 10:08 PM

Welcome Smiley
    And thanks for sharing such interesting information, not the kind of thing I come across on the daily.
     Reply #6 - October 07, 2015, 12:03 AM

PS: English is not my native language, so don't be so harsh on me  Smiley

I think you will find that the above is the case with many places of the world which were conquered by the Arabs. This includes my own ancestral homeland in the Indian subcontinent. In fact, I think if you look throughout history you'll find that this isn't an uncommon way for the major religions to have spread.

And your English is great man. Look forward to reading more from you!  Afro

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #7 - October 07, 2015, 12:25 AM

Hello everyone,.................... hollidays in my native country Senegal.............

Most of people here  wear a talisman to avoid jiinns and to avoid bad luck.  Roll Eyes

PS: English is not my native language, so don't be so harsh on me  Smiley

Hello  Senegalian., I guess you are the first person in CEMB forum who is from that tropicaly/hoty/deserty  wonderful country..  so you say something about   that Dr. John Alembellah Azumah  and his book
    Dr. John Alembellah Azumah in his 2001 book, The Legacy of Arab-Islam in Africa estimates that over 80 million Black people more died en route.

here are some links that you may want to read through

and let us watch recent tubes from John   Azumah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7fG25nc6SU

well I support his freedom to choose his own religion and  to criticize any religion he wants to.,    but  John   Azumah is a religion smitted faith head  .. So I reserve my rights to question him and his faith 

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #8 - October 07, 2015, 02:02 AM

Perhaps you can also post in the "Welcome to the forum → Introductions" section?

I offer a parrot of peace - parrot For you, a nice green one; not the Danish blue, ex-parrot.

Also, here's an interesting article, that in north Nigeria (which, I know, is different from Senegal) that some Africans had created an indigenous rival-religion to Islam:
    http://blackarabia.blogspot.com/2013/11/report-black-arabian-origins-of-yoruba.html
     Reply #9 - October 07, 2015, 03:38 AM

Aww, he's already made this post in another thread. Cut him some slack man!  Cheesy

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #10 - October 07, 2015, 04:13 AM

I read the thread name as "Islam is a subsaharan country" and I was like "well fuck some American politician has decided to go all stupid on tv" lmao.

Don't worry tho, my brain's almost entirely back online after its little hiatus, and I'll be reading properly soon. Also on a semi-related note, I finally understand why other people like to leave the TV on and I shun it. I would go days or weeks at a time as a kid (especially before age 10) without hearing a single human voice or speaking a single word. So I'm fine with being in that situation. I even made it a little game to see how long it would be before anyone spoke to me again. I'm perfectly fine with being in relative silence in terms of hearing people speak (complete silence would be maddening but as long as I can hear the wind, the rain, birds, clacking of keys on the keyboard, that kind of thing, I'm fine). I even find it distracting to hear people speak. But everyone else is the opposite--they're used to constantly hearing people talking in the background, and not hearing a single human voice for days on end is what is abnormal for them. So they enjoy hearing other people talk, hence enjoy leaving the TV on.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for I have a sonic screwdriver, a tricorder, and a Type 2 phaser.
     Reply #11 - October 07, 2015, 05:59 AM

This was your first post.

Hey, we are in the same boat , I understand why you feel gulty, It's just because you are still confused.
    If you don't consider yourself as a muslim, so you are not!!! You are in the process  of leaving this religion but don't worry, take your time.
    You have been conditionned to feel guilt when you are doing something ''wrong'' that's how religion controls you

BTw, as you don't want to break your mum's heart I guess that you are pretending to pray, right?? Wink
    So what's the problem if you fast for fake ?? whistling2  Wink

Anyway, welcome. parrot

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #12 - October 07, 2015, 09:18 AM

Welcome to the forum Ousseynou. I merged your two threads and moved them here.

He's no friend to the friendless
    And he's the mother of grief
    There's only sorrow for tomorrow
    Surely life is too brief
     Reply #13 - October 07, 2015, 11:33 AM

Hi ousseynou92 Smiley

Welcome to the CEMB forum! parrot

Very interesting observations there. Not something we see here every day as we don't have many active members with West-African backgrounds around.

[...] The fact that people here are so intolerant when they see that you are not enslaved by this religion bafles me because they are very mediocre in the practice of their own religion.

I hear those tales again and again. You can be a bad Muslim, a sinning Muslim, sometimes even an irreligious Muslim, but you *CAN'T* be an Ex-Muslim. I like to compare it to it is like being Ex-Black, but I'm not sure my comparison works well for people from Senegal wacko
    (I mostly know white Muslims (Turks, Kurds, Levant Arabs, Bosnians, Albanians/Kosovars, Pakistanis) who nonetheless always claim they aren't "white". My very dark-skinned sister-in-law (half Malaysian) and a couple of acquaintances of Somali heritage are tired of those people calling themselves "brown" or even "black" Cheesy )

BTW I have also seen it among Christians from both the Middle East and Africa. And even in my country you would get the stinky eye not many decades ago for not proclaiming being "Christian". You wouldn't get killed for it though. It seems like tribalism - and by far not only by religious identity - is hardwired into us Homo Sapiens and needs to be combated constantly.

One day I hope I'll get around to read up on the spread of Islam (and Christianity, for that matter) in Sub-Saharan Africa.

Thanks for contributing to this forum Smiley

Cheers from Denmark.

Danish Never-Moose adopted by the kind people on the CEMB-forum
    Ex-Muslim chat (Unaffliated with CEMB). Safari users: Use "#ex-muslims" as the channel name. CEMB chat thread.
     Reply #14 - October 07, 2015, 12:52 PM

Welcome to the forum Ousseynou. I merged your two threads and moved them here.

Thanks, I was having trouble keeping up with the two conversations!  Kiss

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #15 - October 07, 2015, 02:33 PM

Welcome parrot
     Reply #16 - October 07, 2015, 04:01 PM

Hi ousseynou92 Smiley

Welcome to the CEMB forum! parrot

Very interesting observations there. Not something we see here every day as we don't have many active members with West-African backgrounds around.

I hear those tales again and again. You can be a bad Muslim, a sinning Muslim, sometimes even an irreligious Muslim, but you *CAN'T* be an Ex-Muslim. I like to compare it to it is like being Ex-Black, but I'm not sure my comparison works well for people from Senegal wacko

Cheers from Denmark.

Hey Nikolaj, in Senegal I think it's the case everywhere when they see that you don't want to play this stupid game, they become inclusive and then reduce the price of their merchandise Cheesy

Reply #17 - October 07, 2015, 04:32 PM

and let us watch recent tubes from John   Azumah

well I support his freedom to choose his own religion and  to criticize any religion he wants to.,    but  John   Azumah is a religion smitted faith head  .. So I reserve my rights to question him and his faith 

Hey Yeezevee, after all the information you gave me, I understand why Dr John Azumah can be unobjective on that topic.
    ===========================================================

By the  way,
    thnkyu Everyone for that  warm  welcome
    I'm very happy to represent West Africa , and even more to be a member of this forum parrot
     far away hug

Reply #18 - October 31, 2015, 02:02 PM

Hi Ousseynou,  Nanga def?  I actually live in Dakar, Senegal, though I am not Senegalese.   I am also not actually ex-Muslim but I came here a couple of years ago to learn more.
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »