Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Today at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 04:17 AM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Yesterday at 07:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: The cultural suicide of so-called "liberalism"

(Read 4906 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • The cultural suicide of so-called "liberalism"
     OP - October 06, 2015, 08:19 AM

This new age trend of occidental self-hatred, in the service of theocracy, is truly dismal.  Do liberals even have any principles left to which they epouse?

I witnessed something genuinely disturbing at Trinity College Dublin last night: trendy, middle-class, liberal students cheering and whooping a man who had just given the closest thing I have yet heard to a justification for the massacre at Charlie Hebdo.

It was as part of a debate on the right to offend. I was on the side of people having the right to say whatever the hell they want, no matter whose panties it bunches. The man on the other side who implied that Charlie Hebdo got what it deserved, and that the right to offend is a poisonous, dangerous notion, was one Asghar Bukhari of the Muslim Public Affairs Committee.

Bukhari defamed Charlie Hebdo as racist, the same dim-witted claim made by every Charliephobe who has clearly never seen an issue of this magazine that rails against the far right and prejudiced politicians.

He then offered us a potted history of French imperialism and brutality in Algeria. Why? As an explanation for why the murderers of Charlie Hebdo’s staff — who were of Algerian descent — did what they did.

There was a political context to their actions, he suggested, but the media ignored it in favour of depicting the killers as ‘brown savages’. Every time Bukhari mentioned Charlie Hebdo, he did so through gritted teeth, with a palpable sense of contempt; he spoke of Charlie Hebdo in the same breath as ‘white supremacism’. In contrast, he talked about the killers with what sounded a lot like sympathy, presenting them as the aggrieved products of French militarism in Algeria.

In his warped worldview, it’s almost as if Charlie Hebdo were the guilty party, a foul committer of Islamophobic speech crimes, and the killers were the victims — victims of history, victims of France, victims of prejudice, driven by political anger. The murdered are the oppressors; the murderers the victims. Real through-the-looking-glass stuff.

I stood up to make a point of order. I wanted to ask if he felt that perhaps he was apologising for mass murder, justifying it even. But he wouldn’t take my point. So, somewhat impertinently — hey, I was pretty angry by this point — I interjected: ‘This is an apology for murder.’ His response? To accuse me of racism. To suggest that, like the rest of the media, I was treating Muslims as ‘brown savages’. Because of course, if you ask a difficult question of a Muslim in the public eye who is talking a colossal amount of rubbish then you must secretly hate all Muslims. What a cheap, reactionary shot: shut down criticism by playing the racism card.

Also, can we ponder the eye-swivelling irony of my being accused of racism by a man who once sent money to Holocaust denier and anti-Semite David Irving? In 2006, Bukhari sent £60 to Irving as part of his ‘fight for the Truth’. He encouraged Irving to continue to ‘expose certain falsehoods perpetrated by the Jews’. Yeah, sorry, I’m not taking lectures about racism from a man who funded Jew-hatred.

But there was something even more disturbing than Bukhari’s comments on Charlie Hebdo — the audience’s response.

It is of course in the interests of a representative of the Muslim Public Affairs Committee to exaggerate the hatred and difficulties faced by Muslims in Europe, because these unrepresentative community groups derive their moral authority from claiming to speak on behalf of a beleaguered, victimised minority.

So they’re inexorably drawn towards ratcheting up the victim narrative, to trawling for more and more examples of slights against Muslims, to treating as ‘Islamophobia’ everything from a scurrilous cartoon that mocks Muhammad (not ordinary Muslims) to a newspaper article that describes Osama bin Laden as an ‘Islamic terrorist’ (seriously). Because victimology is their fuel; it sustains their outfits and boosts their standing in public life. There’s a logic — a perverse logic — to their hysterical claims about widespread Muslim-hate.

But the audience at last night’s debate was not part of any cynical, self-styled community group. They were young. They were mainly liberals. They were pretty cool. Some were painfully PC. And yet some of them — a significant chunk of them — cheered Bukhari’s explanation for the Charlie killers’ actions, and applauded his suggestion that my question must have been motivated by racism.

During my speech, students had hollered ‘Shame! Shame!’ when I suggested that Robin Thicke’s ‘Blurred Lines’ should not be banned on campuses. And yet they listened intently, with soft, understanding, patronising liberal smiles on their faces, as Bukhari implied that Charlie Hebdo brought its massacre on itself. This is how screwed-up the culture on Western campuses has become: I was jeered for suggesting we shouldn’t ban pop songs; Bukhari was cheered for suggesting journalists who mock Muhammad cannot be surprised if someone later blows their heads off.

It provided a glimpse into the inhumanity of political correctness. The PC gang always claim they’re just being nice; it’s just ‘institutionalised politeness’, they say. Yet at Trinity last night I saw where today’s intolerance of offence and obsession with Safe Spacing minorities from difficult ideas can lead: to an agreeable nod of the head when it is suggested that it’s understandable when poor, victimised Muslims murder those who offended them.

No, a PC student at such a prestigious college as Trinity is very unlikely to kill you for being offensive. But if someone else does, they won’t be outraged or upset. They’ll think you had it coming. Nice? Polite? Please. Political correctness is murderous.

http://blogs.new.spectator.co.uk/2015/10/why-are-students-now-cheering-about-the-massacre-at-charlie-hebdo/

"Belief can blunt human reason and common sense, even in learned scholars. What is needed is more impartial study." - Ali Dashti

https://certainlydoubtful1.wordpress.com/

https://twitter.com/certainlydoubt1
     Reply #1 - October 06, 2015, 09:30 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgw4IQqMNsU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1cq_dDPvIw

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #2 - October 06, 2015, 09:40 AM

This new age trend of occidental self-hatred, in the service of theocracy, is truly dismal.

Dismal yes, but not new. It's been gathering steam for decades.

People are finally waking up and fighting back. Trouble is, the damage done can't easily be undone.
     Reply #3 - October 06, 2015, 11:29 AM

certainlydoubt1 says something and And David corrects a bit of that
    This new age trend of occidental self-hatred, in the service of theocracy, is truly dismal.  Do liberals even have any principles left to which they epouse?

http://blogs.new.spectator.co.uk/2015/10/why-are-students-now-cheering-about-the-massacre-at-charlie-hebdo/

People are finally waking up and fighting back. Trouble is, the damage done can't easily be undone.

well let me correct Daoud  Cheesy lol...

David  you are right but you are wrong with reference to "decades" ..  It is NOT decades., it is more than 1000 years .. some 1400 years. It started with that manual "Quran" and supporting chit-chat storeis called "hadith".,   both are without doubt COPY/PASTED MANMADE BOOKS OF THEIR TIME. To those manual   criminal preachers  in collisn with warlords and ruling elite of that time added another character "Muhammad" "The Messenger of Allah"  and sold to the humanity. And in this 21st century, these  NARCISSISTIC   BUKHARI   BUFFON'S OF SOUTH ASIA  still  selling  that nonsense  to the global Muslim folks and on the way they do  create rogues in Islam that kill people in Bangladesh for what they write

Anyway going back to  the so-called "liberals" .. the word that "certainlydoubt1" uses for SPECIFIC N0N-MUSLIM POLITICALLY ACTIVE smart people still didn't realize the role of political Islam in the history of mankind.  These people  in combination of Islamized brains and in support of very intelligent Anarchists  could potentially start fires all over the globe  using  political Islam.  

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #4 - October 06, 2015, 02:28 PM

Disturbing...

And extremist Nick Griffin was blocked from speaking, but extremist Asghar Bukhari is not.

If this is the audience with whom Maryam will speak, I expect her to be booed.
     Reply #5 - October 06, 2015, 11:01 PM

David  you are right but you are wrong with reference to "decades" ..  It is NOT decades., it is more than 1000 years .. some 1400 years. It started with that manual "Quran"  

I know you have a one-track mind, Yeez, but I wasn't talking about Islam. So yes, decades.
     Reply #6 - October 08, 2015, 08:46 AM

Well, perhaps I was too brief, at the price of being ambiguous.  What I would add as a footnote is that by "new age trend" I mean the contagion of post-modernism which has plagued university campuses and eroded the liberal heritage of virtues that use to stand high: secularism, individualism, freedom of speech.  Think of the Free Speech movement at UC Berkeley from the counter-culture days and contrast it with the contemporary hysteria and lunacy of the anti-Maryam Namazie mob, or even a recent motion by leftists in Manchester to ban the "wrong kind of feminist" from speaking on a panel.  What was once a collaborative project of diversity and freedom has now been sabotaged by a cult of uniformity and self-hatred.  Is it a surprise that from this festival of nihilism, ISIS recruiters prance along and so effortlessly poach brainwashed volunteers for their sadistic cause?

"Belief can blunt human reason and common sense, even in learned scholars. What is needed is more impartial study." - Ali Dashti

Reply #7 - October 08, 2015, 09:25 AM

Brilliant post.

This is what I've been saying for years, and have been called everything under the sun for doing so - and threatened with execution 'come the revolution' of course.
     Reply #8 - October 08, 2015, 09:28 AM

I'd still say it's been gathering steam for decades, though. There's a VS Naipaul novel from the 60s (can't remember which one, alas) which identifies, and satirises, the disease in its early stages.

Shame no-one listened.
     Reply #9 - October 08, 2015, 01:15 PM

It really is no surprise, for this depraved thinking is activated on many fronts at once.  From the molding orthodoxies of anti-capitalist rhetoric that have infected young minds in academia to the becoming Anglo-phobia induced by deconstructive fallacies of "anti-orientalist" dogma- the Islamic fascists have been able to flower their seeds of hatred because the soil has already been plowed for them by the labors of cultural and intellectual nihilists in the west.

Reply #10 - October 08, 2015, 04:03 PM

Yeah it's disturbing
     Reply #11 - May 23, 2016, 05:31 PM

It's nothing new. Cultural Marxism arose from why do the proletariat not rise up in revolution - they are lulled into "false consciousness" by Western culture and you have to undermine that. Key figures were Antonio Gramsci and Adorno, Horkheimer and Marcuse from the Frankfurt school:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frankfurt_School

It invaded academia in the 60s and 70s.  Two of its main targets are "patriarchy" and religion, so the fact that Islamism gets a free pass would be ironic if it were not tragic.
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »