Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 05:47 AM

New Britain
April 16, 2024, 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: My story to being ex-muslim

(Read 3565 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • My story to being ex-muslim
     OP - October 04, 2015, 01:10 PM

Hi everyone Smiley

Its my first time around here so I'm still trying to get the hang of things around here! I'm really happy that theres this online community as I feel very alone about how I feel. Just to share my story (Sorry i know its super long but if your willing to read feel free, I just want to express my views that I've been keeping in for so long):

Both my parents are converts, I was raised in quite a religious household- prayer, fasting, hijab, haram this haram that etc but thankfully as I've gotten older (20 now) my parents aren't as strict as they used to be.

Growing up as a child I had a love-hate relationship with Islam- I hated all the unnecessary rules- music was haram, showing hair was haram, dogs were haram, etc
    Around 14 years of age I started researching into Islam as I wanted to see what my parents found in it that was so beautiful, I researched all the beautiful things about Islam including scientific facts of the quran, the miracles, evidence that islam is the truth etc and found my self in love with Islam and was a practising muslim this time without force of my parents. As the years went by I found that practising Islam wasn't easy especially as you get older you get more busy with daily responsibilities.

The first doubt I had about Islam was I didn't understand why dogs were seen as so dirty and haram... I'm a huge animal lover so why would God not allow us to take care of his creatures especially dogs that are dependent on humans, can save humans lives, are trainable and are able to develop such a strong bond with humans etc... as the years went by I questioned many other things that were seen as haram such as having relationships, music, talking to the opposite sex, women needing to cover everything up, plucking eyebrows etc.

This is when I did more research and I found that all these rules were from "hadiths", as I researched more I discovered that these hadiths were written many years after the prophets death and weren't as reliable. I discovered that some hadiths had been rejected & some accepted my muslim scholars! I thought to myself how can I believe in these so called "Gods rules" and sayings of the prophets that have been just spread around like Chinese whispers. So i said to myself I'm only a believer in the quran. I even showed my mum my research as she had the same view point that she rejected some hadiths and as I showed her more she also rejected hadiths and currently she believes in the quran only.

At that point I felt a lot more free, it was so good not feeling guilty about things that you previously thought were "forbidden" by God. From there I told myself now that I only believe in the quran so I need to know what it preaches.

First doudt I had was... I wondered why the quran had so many missing rules but I thought "oh God knew that times would change so he made the quran flexible unlike haidths that were just set out rules"..

2nd... i dared myself to research the "bad" things about the quran...

When i researched into Islam when I was younger I looked at all the "good" things about the quran and never dared to look at the "bad" things in the quran so this time I dared my self. I researched about quran contradictions, errors etc. This was months of researching... first I just came across those hate websites I didnt even wanna read them as they were just hate instead of logic and evidence. But one day I came across this video on youtube called "seven main reasons why i left Islam" I loved how the guy in the video wasn't just bashing Islam but was previously a muslim himself and presented everything in a logical and evidence based way.
    At this point I had heaps of doubts I said to myself "would I believe in this book if I wasn't raised into believing it" and I was honest with myself and said "no i wouldnt". I told myself if this book is the real book of God there wouldn't even be 1 error but unfortunately I found heaps.
    I toke my quran I had and I started highlighting verses that were wrong- Through more and more research I found contradictions, scientific errors, unethical rules and inequality between the sexes.

I'm happy to say I don't considered my self a muslim anymore.. I've only came out to my best friend but unfortunately I dont know if I ever will come out to my family. I really do want to sit down and talk with my mother as she is open minded but worried about her response. I still wear hijab due to certain reasons but I hate being represented as someone I'm not.

I feel a lot more free, don't feel guilty for simple things, loving life a lot more and don't fear death as much anymore.

This is super long but it felt so good letting that off my chest! Please feel free to share your stories too Smiley  bunny
     Reply #1 - October 04, 2015, 03:51 PM

Welcome saranicole  parrot

Thanks for sharing your story. I don't find your story too long. It's good as it is  Smiley

The video you watch, was from the masked Arab, wasn't it? I like his videos, too.
     Reply #2 - October 04, 2015, 04:07 PM

Welcome parrot
     Reply #3 - October 04, 2015, 04:14 PM

parrot

Dogs leading people to the dark side! :-)

Is Islam something people grow out of if they are given space to think and good information?

When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.

A.A. Milne,

"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
     Reply #4 - October 04, 2015, 08:24 PM

parrot

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #5 - October 05, 2015, 12:16 AM

parrot
    Welcome!

Don't let Hitler have the street.
     Reply #6 - October 05, 2015, 12:24 AM

Welcome saranicole  parrot

Thanks for sharing your story. I don't find your story too long. It's good as it is  Smiley

The video you watch, was from the masked Arab, wasn't it? I like his videos, too.

Yep masked Arab love his videos Cheesy
     Reply #7 - October 05, 2015, 12:24 AM

Thanks everyone for the welcome!  dance
     Reply #8 - October 05, 2015, 12:26 AM

Glad you found us!
     Reply #9 - October 05, 2015, 02:43 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=POJdu4HV-Ng Smiley

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #10 - October 05, 2015, 09:35 AM

Welcome to the forum Smiley

He's no friend to the friendless
    And he's the mother of grief
    There's only sorrow for tomorrow
    Surely life is too brief
     Reply #11 - October 05, 2015, 09:56 AM

Welcome!  parrot

I still wear hats, but not hijabs, but that's because I have alopecia which leaves me just about bald and I hate answering questions on it.  piggy (It's almost entirely painless except when hair decides to grow in, that's really itchy, and it doesn't give me any other problems in my life except that sometimes when I go to the doctors office they will freak out if I forget to tell them about it which I usually do because I usually forget about it myself, that's how little it bothers me. But other people tend to freak out and ask if I have cancer or something and it's easier to wear a hat then to be asked questions by ten different people every second.)

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for I have a sonic screwdriver, a tricorder, and a Type 2 phaser.
     Reply #12 - October 07, 2015, 11:50 AM

Hi saranicole Smiley

Welcome to the CEMB-forum parrot

Interesting tale.

"The Masked Arab"'s videos are pretty awesome especially since he makes them in both English and Arabic.

Regarding dogs: Many years ago I was out with a bunch of people I hardly knew including a Danish-Iraqi and a Danish-Somali Muslim. The Somali guy freaked out when a mostly black dog approached where we stood while the Iraqi guy said hello to it and petted it and scratched it behind its ears. The Somali guy: "HARAM! HARAM!". The Iraqi guy: "No, not a haram. A hund (Danish for "dog")" Cheesy

Good to have you here. Cheers from Denmark Smiley

Danish Never-Moose adopted by the kind people on the CEMB-forum
    Ex-Muslim chat (Unaffliated with CEMB). Safari users: Use "#ex-muslims" as the channel name. CEMB chat thread.
     Reply #13 - October 07, 2015, 12:49 PM

Welcome to the forum saranicole, have a rabbit!  bunny

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »